Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

DROKK - Music Inspired By Mega City One

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks >> DROKK - Music Inspired By Mega City One Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DROKK - Music Inspired By Mega City One - 12/6/2012 6:20:48 PM   
chris kilby

Has anyone else heard this album by Geoff "Portishead" Barrow?

It's like John Carpenter meets Blade Runner with bits of early Howard "Scanners" Shore, Terminator, Day of the Dead, Kraftwerk, Queen's Flash Gordon (!) and Kim Wilde's Kids In America(!!) thrown in. He also cites Delia Derbyshire as an influence.

By turns driving and sinister, Barrow's electronica soundscape (cityscape?) has a wonderfully retro-futuristic vibe which is perfectly in keeping with Judge Dredd - Barrow deliberately didn't use any synths from after 1977 when 2000AD was created for precisely that reason.

And get this - Barrow has said in an interview that DROKK started out as the score to the forthcoming Dredd movie before the producers had second thoughts! Not that the philosophical Barrow bears any grudges; he says Alex Garland's script is su-perb and the finished film's gonna be... well, zarjaz!

I can't stop listening to this - it's mental to drive to. Whoever is doing the music for Dredd really has his work cut out for him...*

* Someone called Paul Leonard-Morgan apparently. He's done a lot of telly (Spooks, Silent Witness) and according to his website it sounds similar to DROKK: "strings and electronica." (Maybe DNA thought Barrow's compositions were just a wee bit too derivative.) Plus Judge Dredd creator, John Wagner, says Morgan's score is "on the button."

Also, intriguingly, it looks like Dredd is going to be an 18 certificate in the UK, which means it's gonna be pretty full-on!
Post #: 1
RE: DROKK - Music Inspired By Mega City One - 15/6/2012 1:11:23 AM   
BudBaxter

Thanks for the head's up.

Big fan of early Carpenter stuff, so a lot of this is right up my street.

There's a couple of tracks which sound like someone just pissing about & making random annoying noises on a keyboard, but most of it's superb.

You can listen to the entire thing here: http://drokk.bandcamp.com/

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 2
RE: DROKK - Music Inspired By Mega City One - 16/6/2012 12:51:49 AM   
chris kilby

Cheers.

I'm hearing Dark Side of the Moon era Pink Floyd in there now too!

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks >> DROKK - Music Inspired By Mega City One Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI