Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rock Of Ages - 12/6/2012 12:47:14 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
If you don't like Rock, Olly - 12/6/2012 12:47:14 PM   
TheMadFatChickKiller

And from your review you clearly don't, maybe someone a little less bias could have reviewed this? Hair and Cock Rock were all about the ridiculousness, and some of the songs were silly. But that was the point all along. Not seen it, but from some of the titles in your review I'd say a minimum three stars too for cheesiness

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Are you guys actually watching the movies? - 12/6/2012 1:00:33 PM   
Madhava

Does Empire just give everything three stars now?

Post #: 3
RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? - 12/6/2012 1:13:47 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Madhava

Quick! Compare it to Prometheus before someone else does! Too late! 3 stars means Adam Shankman is as good a director as Ridley Scott!

(in reply to Madhava)
Post #: 4
Madhava - 12/6/2012 1:19:07 PM   
Ali Plumb

That's not how star ratings work and you know it... Read the review!

Post #: 5
RE: If you don't like Rock, Olly - 12/6/2012 1:59:57 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheMadFatChickKiller

And from your review you clearly don't, maybe someone a little less bias could have reviewed this? Hair and Cock Rock were all about the ridiculousness, and some of the songs were silly. But that was the point all along. Not seen it, but from some of the titles in your review I'd say a minimum three stars too for cheesiness

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to TheMadFatChickKiller)
Post #: 6
RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? - 12/6/2012 3:14:00 PM   
Woger

quote:

It spends on the stars issued; red dwarvess, white dwarves, brown dwarves, neutron stars etc

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Madhava)
Post #: 7
The plot right there in one of the songs - 12/6/2012 5:03:44 PM   
mgmstudios

I saw this in the west end last year and thorouly enjoyed it. And as such am looking forward to this all star cast Hollywood version. I just feel like i need to point out the films plot is right there in one of its song. Thats part of the humour.
Just a small town girl
Living in a lonely world
She took the midnight train going anywhere
Just a city boy
Born and raised in South Detroit...

< Message edited by mgmstudios -- 12/6/2012 5:04:47 PM >

Post #: 8
NO! - 12/6/2012 5:42:19 PM   
sephiroth7

Doesn't this stand for everything rock n'roll isn't? Then again, Jovi, Lep, Crue and the like aren't exactly rock n'roll now are they ;)

Post #: 9
RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? - 12/6/2012 9:24:25 PM   
TheMadFatChickKiller

The reason I gave it three stars is 1) the comments form won't let you post unless you rate the move and 2) given the names of the songs Olly listed in his review I'd rate ANY film 3 stars for including them. Even a film that comprised a single shot of a plastic bag flapping in the wind. The main point I was getting over was his review included a few too many references to what he thinks of Hair / Cock Rock that were unrelated to the film.

It's my way, or the highway...

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 10
RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? - 12/6/2012 9:24:45 PM   
TheMadFatChickKiller

The reason I gave it three stars is 1) the comments form won't let you post unless you rate the move and 2) given the names of the songs Olly listed in his review I'd rate ANY film 3 stars for including them. Even a film that comprised a single shot of a plastic bag flapping in the wind. The main point I was getting over was his review included a few too many references to what he thinks of Hair / Cock Rock that were unrelated to the film.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 11
RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? - 12/6/2012 9:24:59 PM   
TheMadFatChickKiller

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 12
RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? - 13/6/2012 10:00:02 PM   
losthighway

Never saw the stage musical due to some seriously dire reviews but went to the see the film version today and it was good. Admittedly it's way too long, some bits dragged and were unfunny but despite those moments the music is fantastic, the film looks stunning, all the cast give it their best. Oh and Cruise has some seriously great musical set pieces. It's not as good as Shankman's Hairspray by a long shot but it's still definitely worth catching in the cinema for the music played over a big sound system. Overall: 3.5/5

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to TheMadFatChickKiller)
Post #: 13
RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? - 14/6/2012 4:03:17 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Cheesy , Corny yes, yes, yes (whoops I'm turning into Daniel Bryan) BUT! is it fun HELL YES! you sit there thinking oh dear this aint gonna work & yet within 5 minutes you're foots tapping away like mad & you find yourself humming along to classic 80s rock from the first song to the last.
It's worth the admission fee alone to see Zeta-Jones performance of Hit Me With Your Best Shot.
4/5 ROCK N ROLL BABY!

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14
More Aged Rock - 15/6/2012 5:42:59 PM   
J_BUltimatum

In all honesty if you want to watch a cast lip sync (badly) to decent music (which the cast have pre-recorded and murdered in a studio beforehand) then save your bucks and get yer folks to do karaoke night with you... Such an awful unnecesary film!!! And if Tom Cruise keeps on insisting in getting his Moobs out in every film I may need to kill him!!

Post #: 15
RE: More Aged Rock - 15/6/2012 6:38:07 PM   
Dalekbuster523

If they wanted to do a rock movie musical,they should've done it based on We will rock you,not Rock of ages. We will rock you has a big,movie style plot that could benefit from special effects that can't be achieved on stage,so would make perfect sense. Plus,it has loads of characters you care about and enjoy watching such as Pop,Galieo,Scaramouche etc.

(in reply to J_BUltimatum)
Post #: 16
RE: More Aged Rock - 17/6/2012 11:01:38 AM   
chris kilby

The only trouble with that is: it has a lot of Queen songs in it!

(in reply to Dalekbuster523)
Post #: 17
RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? - 17/6/2012 11:06:17 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

I do hope so. You gotta admit, it makes for an entertaining forum - It's a madhouse! A MADHOUUUUUUUUSE!!!

(in reply to Madhava)
Post #: 18
Why Cruise??? - 17/6/2012 11:39:58 AM   
dannyfletch

Haven't seen this yet so the rating is for cruise alone. From the trailer everyone looks pretty good apart from the annoying Mr I Act The Same In Everything TOM CRUISE? He ruins everything he's in ( apart from Collateral where admittedly he is quite good for a change) and looks sooooo uncool in a role like this. I feel a real rocker or someone like Brad Pitt or Ryan Gosling would've been a lot cooler and better!

< Message edited by dannyfletch -- 17/6/2012 11:46:34 AM >

Post #: 19
RE: Why Cruise??? - 17/6/2012 3:37:05 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Haven't seen this yet so the rating is for cruise alone. From the trailer everyone looks pretty good apart from the annoying Mr I Act The Same In Everything TOM CRUISE? He ruins everything he's in ( apart from Collateral where admittedly he is quite good for a change) and looks sooooo uncool in a role like this. I feel a real rocker or someone like Brad Pitt or Ryan Gosling would've been a lot cooler and better!

I'm not a massive Tom Cruise fan, but that is a ridiculous statement. Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with a Vampire, Tropic Thunder - definitely not a one note performer, mate.

< Message edited by Ref -- 17/6/2012 3:38:12 PM >

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 20
RE: Why Cruise??? - 18/6/2012 2:18:07 AM   
awesomeo

Valkeryie..

"It's the best place you can be, just...here."

Film gives aid to victims of human trafficking:

http://www.indiegogo.com/banished

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 21
Better than I'd feared, but not as good as I'd hoped. - 27/6/2012 11:12:02 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

30% of Rock of Ages is the best thing I've seen this year.
The other 70% is the absolute worst.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 22
RE: Better than I'd feared, but not as good as I'd hoped. - 28/6/2012 10:14:51 AM   
paulyboy

Not afraid to admit that this was one of the most ludicrously entertaining films I've seen in quite some time. Worth the price of admission alone for the utterly bonkers and laugh out loud "I Want To Know What Love Is" & "Can't Fight This Feeling" numbers alone.

4/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 23
RE: Better than I'd feared, but not as good as I'd hoped. - 28/6/2012 6:34:52 PM   
Dr Lenera

An initially enjoyable musical which seriously degenerates around half way through, with endless montages to soft rock tunes and a story that is just dragged out interminably. A few scenes of genuine sweetness and some well staged numbers just about keep it watchable. Very limited in its music; in a film called Rock of Ages, surely one has the right to expect more than a bunch of cheesy ballads?

5.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 24
RE: Better than I'd feared, but not as good as I'd hoped. - 30/9/2012 4:36:49 AM   
Phubbs

Rock of Ages

Two reasons why I saw this film, one the fact its supposedly filled with classic 80's rock tracks and two, the word on the street surrounding Mr Cruise's performance as 'Stacee Jaxx'.

Was pretty disappointed straight away to find out the plot is the most basic overused cliched idea that plays out just like 'Burlesque'. Of course being an all out musical you don't expect a fantastic story (well not in this day and age anyway) but the moment the lead female character leaves her small town for the brights lights of the big city I sunk in my chair and groaned.

Zeta Jones' character plot was sooooooo so damn cheesy and cliched too. A politician who is religious and against rock music because it corrupts and twists young minds yet slowly turns to the 'darkside'!! come on guys at least try for something a little inspired.

I think this would have been better with unknowns in the main roles too or at least people who can actually sing and dance properly. Using big name stars just doesn't help in my view, Cruise does a surprisingly good job as the perpetually drunk 'Jaxx' it has to be said but using someone like Alec Baldwin!!?. I have to admit that Brand was a good casting choice (one of the only ones), he looks the part and also acts the part in reality! unsure about his odd Brummie-ish accent though.

On the other hand then you have casting like Julianne Hough, your stereotypical boring limp wet blonde who has the same kind of vacuous part in 'Burlesque'.

I personally didn't get on with the film much. I kinda expected something akin to classics like 'Little Shop' or 'Rocky Horror' but all I saw was a cliched unoriginal concept with various classic songs butchered by various unknown people. Does make you appreciate the actual artists and their skills, oh and by the way many songs in this film aren't actually rock songs.

I can't really berate this film too much because it does exactly what its suppose to do and that's give you the viewer a good time without using your brain much. The plot is lame, acting generally is cheesy or bad and the songs are badly sung...but the big time visuals and dance sequences will be liked by many I'm sure. What gets me is the fact the creators have settled on such a basic boring idea when I'm sure this could of been something pretty special.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 25
RE: Better than I'd feared, but not as good as I'd hoped. - 7/4/2013 12:25:40 AM   
Ref

So I caught this on tele today and did not enjoy it. The plot itself was the same tired old script of boy meets girl, misunderstanding which causes them to part and then reconciliation. The songs were not really rock, ok so you had a Guns 'n' Roses song in there at the beginning which lead me to believe that we'd get some decent rock songs. Alas the songs were mostly pop or power ballads.

Cruise, Zeta-Jones, Baldwin were good - the rest were poor-to-ok.

2/5

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rock Of Ages Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI