Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Time Travel to any concert..any time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Time Travel to any concert..any time Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Time Travel to any concert..any time - 11/6/2012 12:52:43 PM   
st3veebee

If you could snap your fingers and arrive at any concert, by any band in any year: which would it be?

Love to have seen Queen in their prime: say around 86' at Wembley.

Try and limit it to just one concert if you can!

< Message edited by st3veebee -- 11/6/2012 1:56:39 PM >

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5
Post #: 1
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 11/6/2012 1:37:04 PM   
Toby Monroe

This may be apocryphal, but wasn't there a Sex Pistols gig where Rotten took a crap on stage? After witnessing the theatrical neon fueled extravaganza that was Popmart, it would be nice to see something a bit more down to earth.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 2
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 11/6/2012 2:30:27 PM   
Larry of Arabia

For being a bit of a historical moment as well as a fantastic gig, I'd go back to Bob Dylan's show at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in '66. I often wonder if I was there whether I would have booed or cheered.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 3
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 11/6/2012 3:10:17 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

If you could snap your fingers and arrive at any concert, by any band in any year: which would it be?

Love to have seen Queen in their prime: say around 86' at Wembley.

Try and limit it to just one concert if you can!

Unfortunately, I saw Queen at Slane during the Kind of Magic tour and it was bitterly disappointing.  The inclement weather didn't help either.

It would be really hard to limit this to one gig only.  While I'd love to have seen Radiohead's '97 Glasto performance, I don't think I could have been bothered with the mudfest that went with that year's festival.  In fact, any big outdoor show is pretty much off the list for reasons of them tending to be a bit more impersonal.

So, for purely historical reasons, I'll go with Led Zeppelin in the Ulster Hall, 5 March 1971, and the very first performance of Stairway to Heaven.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 4
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 11/6/2012 3:20:52 PM   
horribleives

I'd go for Nirvana at the Mayfair in November 1991, a gig I had a ticket for but bottled going to as I feared they wouldn't let me in due to only being 14, sporting a third eyebrow on my top lip and having a voice like Zed out of Police Academy. Needless to say, the next show of theirs I had a ticket for was scheduled to take place in May 1994. Oh dear.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 8:57:51 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Unfortunately, I saw Queen at Slane during the Kind of Magic tour and it was bitterly disappointing. The inclement weather didn't help either.

You saw Queen?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 9:28:01 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Unfortunately, I saw Queen at Slane during the Kind of Magic tour and it was bitterly disappointing. The inclement weather didn't help either.

You saw Queen?

Yeah, in 1986, supported by such luminaries as The Bangles and Chris Rea.  Slane Castle is an amazing venue if you get the sunshine, but not so good if it is wet - slippery grass slopes, miles to trudge through the rain to the carparks, no shelter whatsoever from the elements.  I don't know if it was the weather, the bloody boring support acts or the fact that the previous year spoilt me with 3+ hours of Bruce Springsteen and a beautiful summers day, but they just seemed remarkably lacklustre.  Freddie, god bless him, tried to get the audience going, but I don't think his (or the audience's) heart was in it.  Shame really, as I was so looking forward to the gig after they blew the roof of Wembley at Live Aid the previous year.  They were still a damn sight better than Guns'n'Roses a few years later.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 7
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 10:38:23 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

That is a shame. I've heard that concert and whilst it's not one of the best from that tour (it can't compare to the Wembley, Paris, Vienna or Leiden concerts) I do like it a lot. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he had to tell off some troublemakers at one point?

I'd give anything to have seen them live, at any of their concerts. For the purposes of this thread my own choice would probably by one of Queen's concert from the mid-late 70s, but narrowing it down to just one is so difficult.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 12/6/2012 10:40:44 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 10:48:27 AM   
sharkboy

Yeah, security had decided that the rain wasn't enough to cool off the fans at the front of the stage and were spraying water on them too.  Needless to say, this didn't go down too well with some of them who started to throw things back, until Freddie gave them a damn good telling off

WWLD?

Post #: 9
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 10:48:57 AM   
horribleives

quote:

That is a shame. I've heard that concert and whilst it's not one of the best from that tour (it can't compare to the Wembley, Paris, Vienna or Leiden concerts) I do like it a lot. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he had to tell off some troublemakers at one point?

I bet they were shitting themselves.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 12/6/2012 10:49:15 AM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 10
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 1:02:35 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

I bet they were shitting themselves.

Listen to it here! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwDBWpyAcK8

Much more better!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 11
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 1:14:39 PM   
great_badir

quote:

While I'd love to have seen Radiohead's '97 Glasto performance, I don't think I could have been bothered with the mudfest that went with that year's festival.  In fact, any big outdoor show is pretty much off the list for reasons of them tending to be a bit more impersonal.

I was there for that - one of only two experiences I've had of the festival (the other being 95, where I stood next to Michael Eavis whilst watching Page and Plant who were...workmanlike).

But the weather is what prevents the 1982 Genesis reunion show/Womad benefit at the Milton Keynes Bowl from being my choice, which would have been triply interesting as support included John Martyn (who was still good at that point) and early days Talk Talk (who got booed for most of their set), but it lashed down with rain all day and left the place being an effective toilet (an acquaintance who was there said that if you were in the first third of the audience there was no way of getting in or out cos of the mud and sheer number of people, so you just did your bowel and bladder movements where you stood hoped for the best).

Anyway, there are many many many gigs I wish I'd have been at, but I've narrowed it down to either any one of King Crimson's German shows in March/April '74, or any of the Genesis Trick of the Tail shows from '76 with Bill Bruford on drums.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 12/6/2012 1:16:16 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 2:13:28 PM   
jonson

Isle of Wight, 1970.
And Nirvana's gig at Reading in 1992. I went, but I'd love to go again, knowing that it would be the last time I'd get the chance.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 13
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 3:04:52 PM   
Lucky Day

Obviously there are many I could list. Queen would be a dead cert, even a dodgy YouTube rip of them live at Wembly on an iPhone screen and with crap headphones makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

But if I have to choose just one.... Kate Bush at the Hammersmith Odeon. The year I was born (1979). It was a benefit gig and also featured Peter Gabriel. I really want Kate to tour at some point. She has only ever done the one tour in her career.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 14
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 3:09:34 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Queen in Wembley 1986 (Or Rio '85) would be brilliant but if I can only choose 1 then I'm going to be greedy and go for Woodstock.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 15
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 8:24:49 PM   
UTB

A mate of mine had a video of Guns N Roses either in england or in America which was taped off on channel 4, I guess around 92/93, but formed the basis of my obsession with them during my teens, would have loved to have gone to that.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 16
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 8:39:08 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

A mate of mine had a video of Guns N Roses either in england or in America which was taped off on channel 4, I guess around 92/93, but formed the basis of my obsession with them during my teens, would have loved to have gone to that.

Pretty sure thats this gig here .................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaS0sm0Eq40

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 17
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 10:20:18 PM   
Jackie Boy

It's gotta be Hendrix at Winterland in 68. 4 legendary gigs where Jimi & the guys kicked ass.

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 18
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 12/6/2012 11:24:34 PM   
tommyjarvis

It'd be one of the GNR/Metallica co-headlining tours in about 1992, circa Black Album/Use Your Illusion era. The two greatest bands ever, at the peak of their powers, co-headlining. It would have been amazing (as long as there wasn't a riot, or no photographers got punched, or no singers set themselves on fire...)

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 19
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 13/6/2012 3:27:34 AM   
Spaldron

My big brother saw Queen at Knebworth in '86, just after they did Wembley and to this day he says its the greatest thing he's ever saw. I personally would kill to see Maidens legendary set at Donington '88 which my bastard brother was also at.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 13/6/2012 3:28:27 AM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 20
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 13/6/2012 5:29:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

My big brother saw Queen at Knebworth in '86, just after they did Wembley and to this day he says its the greatest thing he's ever saw.

Their final concert A good one to finish with though.

Much more better!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 21
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 16/6/2012 8:36:51 AM   
jiraffejustin

Either The Doors at the Whiskey A Go Go when the Oedipal section of The End was debuted or Nirvana Unplugged.

Post #: 22
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 16/6/2012 9:36:33 AM   
steffols

Bruce Springsteen in 1984 St James' Park Newcastle. My dad was there and I would love to have stood by his side for it. Music is about the only thing that my dad and I have in common and it's the only thing we can have debates and chats about. I would have loved to been there with him for one of our favourite artists best gigs at the peak of his career.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 23
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 16/6/2012 10:26:05 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Pretty sure thats this gig here .................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaS0sm0Eq40

Earlier than that Channel 4 showed their Live In New York gig. It could have been that.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7i6sm11MPg

I recorded that off the TV and so started my GN'R fandom. After seeing them live 3 times, they were still no way as good as this. Raw, angry and brutal.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 24
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 17/6/2012 6:55:39 PM   
Le Tenia

I was at the Maine Road concert as part of Queen's Magic Tour '86. Also was at the tribute concert gig in '92. Unforgettable
However, i would have to nominate Status Quo circa 1975.
As the announcer says on the live album...."tonight live from the Apollo Glasgow, we have the number one rock 'n' roll band in the land. Will you welcome, the magnificent Status Quo"

Cue..said magnificence

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 25
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 19/6/2012 11:56:01 AM   
Swoz_MK

Any date on this would suffice -

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 26
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 5/7/2012 10:44:39 AM   
st3veebee

Also love to have seen Soundgarden in their prime as well. Something around 1991/92...maybe even the Motorvision tour.

To hear Cornells voice when he really could hit hose notes....

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Swoz_MK)
Post #: 27
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 5/7/2012 10:11:48 PM   
horribleives

Saw them at Gateshead stadium supporting GNR in '92. They were great though they only played about six songs. I guess Axl didn't want to get upstaged, which begs the question why on earth did he also have an on-fire Faith No More supporting, at the top of their game, a week after Angel Dust came out, who comfortably blew the headliners right across the Tyne? The fool.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 28
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 6/7/2012 1:24:30 AM   
boaby

Guns N Roses. Somewhere. There was a gig in Venezuela, I think, where it started raining during November Rain. That would've been cool. Or Donnington '88. Or the Roxy that was shown on MTV. Or Giants Stadium as support for Aerosmith when they filmed the Paradise City video. Or Indiana '91 - Slash nailed Estranged.

The Venezuela one.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 29
RE: Time Travel to any concert..any time - 6/7/2012 1:29:25 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Guns N Roses..... Donnington '88.

You wouldn't have wanted to be in the crowd though.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Time Travel to any concert..any time Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI