Ian Rankin

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Ian Rankin Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ian Rankin - 11/6/2012 12:00:57 PM   
chilipenguin

With the news that Ian Rankin is to bring back DI John Rebus in his next novel (linky), I've had a look and can't find any love for the author. Must be some fans surely?

Personally, I've read most of his work and think his gritty style and flawed characters are very entertaining.

So, favourite books? Thoughts? Criticisms?

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE
Post #: 1
RE: Ian Rankin - 11/6/2012 6:41:21 PM   
big dawg

I like him...great holiday reading. Read all the Rebus novels, they do get a bit samey and some of the earlier stuff was rather dull but the last few novels I thought were awful good. I actually liked one of the post Rebus novels, the one about the art heist? Cant for the life of me remember the name (cant't be bothered googling it either )

Slightly off topic but have you ever read any of the Skinner novels? A kind of anti-Rebus

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 2
RE: Ian Rankin - 11/6/2012 7:06:35 PM   
boaby

Got all the Rebus novels.

Big fan. Rankin's obsession with Jekyll and Hyde gets a bit tiresome. Other than than though I love them.

I lived in Embra for 5 years and that definitely adds something.

Was the one about the art heist not "Open Doors" or something? I did quite like that one.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 3
RE: Ian Rankin - 11/6/2012 7:10:33 PM   
Vadersville

I love Rankin. Rebus is a superb character and I recently just read his old spy thriller Watchman.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 4
RE: Ian Rankin - 11/6/2012 7:17:40 PM   
big dawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Got all the Rebus novels.

Big fan. Rankin's obsession with Jekyll and Hyde gets a bit tiresome. Other than than though I love them.

I lived in Embra for 5 years and that definitely adds something.

Was the one about the art heist not "Open Doors" or something? I did quite like that one.

Yeah that rings a bell. Think they may even be filming it? I think the whole Edinburgh connection thing, knowning the places and being able to visualise it is a draw for me as well.

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5
RE: Ian Rankin - 11/6/2012 7:56:34 PM   
chilipenguin

I definitely think knowledge of the city helps bring the books to life. After living in Edinburgh for a while, having Rebus wandering around the same streets helped ground the books in reality. Plus as he gets older, the city inevitably changes around him.

I haven't read the art heist book, might need to track that one down. Rankin's new character, Malcolm Fox, is quite interesting too. He's a kind of anti-Rebus, so the idea that they'll meet up in the next novel certainly has my attention piqued.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 6
RE: Ian Rankin - 11/6/2012 10:26:12 PM   
steffols

I'm currently reading Doors Open and whilst it takes a while to get going, it does get really great.

I love Rankin, been reading his books for years. My favourite Rebus is Dead Souls, a fantastically gripping book. Ken Stott brings him to life so well in the TV show as well.

Actually met Rankin at the 2010 Edinburgh Book Festival and he's a lovely guy. He has time for all of his fans (even the people who had about 12 books for him to sign) and I like that he makes documentaries and his favourite authors about Edinburgh for the BBC.

I said this on Twitter at the weekend, but one of the best things about Rankin novels is his knowledge of Edinburgh and how well he uses it. I've never lived in Edinburgh but having grown up 20 miles west of the City, I cut my teeth in Edinburgh pubs and clubs and know the city well. It is one of my favourite things about reading a Rankin book is knowing exactly where he is when he mentions a place.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 7
RE: Ian Rankin - 11/6/2012 10:39:04 PM   
chilipenguin

He is a nice guy. Used to come into my work all the time and was always very friendly.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 8
RE: Ian Rankin - 27/6/2012 11:42:59 AM   
The Hooded Man

I'm a huge fan, my wife and I are even going to Edinburgh in a few months down mainly to how fantastically evocative Rebus makes the city sound.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 9
RE: Ian Rankin - 1/7/2012 6:27:58 PM   
Magneto

As a Fifer who moved to Edinburgh like Rebus himself, I can't help but love the book's.

I agree with everyone here, knowing the town adds so much to the reading experience although I'd give the Oxford bar a miss.

In chess the pawns go first.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 10
RE: Ian Rankin - 11/7/2012 6:05:08 AM   
Spaldron

I've read most of Rankin's books so I'm eagerly anticipating the return of Rebus. Met the guy once in The Oxford Bar (yes he actually drinks there).

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Magneto)
Post #: 11
RE: Ian Rankin - 11/7/2012 1:27:41 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

I've seen him in Starbucks once or twice.

I'm not condoning Starbucks for the record.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 12
RE: Ian Rankin - 22/8/2012 3:12:08 PM   
The Hooded Man

Halfway through The Impossible Dead now and it's business as usual. Gripping and taut story telling.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Ian Rankin Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI