Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: If you think Damien Hirst is mad....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: If you think Damien Hirst is mad.... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: If you think Damien Hirst is mad.... - 26/6/2012 3:31:48 PM   
Spaldron

I call this piece 'Annus Pretentious'. Please discuss.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 91
RE: If you think Damien Hirst is mad.... - 26/6/2012 3:55:44 PM   
adambatman82

Brilliant. The void depicted in the work symbolises the artists own imprint upon society, which is to say, not much.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 92
RE: If you think Damien Hirst is mad.... - 26/6/2012 5:04:01 PM   
Spaldron

Just read this article which sums up the last two pages.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/8-stupid-arguments-that-internet-debates-always-devolve-into/

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 27/6/2012 1:33:16 AM >

Post #: 93
RE: If you think Damien Hirst is mad.... - 26/6/2012 5:27:23 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Brilliant. The void depicted in the work symbolises the artists own imprint upon society, which is to say, not much.

Spaldron's depiction of the void is largely based on the work of others, with less to say...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 94
RE: If you think Damien Hirst is mad.... - 26/6/2012 6:26:57 PM   
gunstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Spaldron's depiction of the void is largely based on the work of others, with less to say...

People will always try to reproduce genius.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 95
RE: If you think Damien Hirst is mad.... - 26/6/2012 11:50:33 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

People will always try to reproduce genius.

I think the void ultimately represented adams argument, although that is subjective. Or is it?

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 26/6/2012 11:51:01 PM >

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 96
RE: If you think Damien Hirst is mad.... - 27/6/2012 1:09:59 PM   
great_badir

quote:

having read up on the process behind the project I'm convinced that the project is informed by a sincerity on the behalf of the artist. Trust is obviously subjective anyway.

I too have just read up on it and I still see no proof of any thought or concept behind it other than he just thought a boulder would look good on top of a walkway. It just took him thirty odd years to "find" the right rock. I doubt for one second he actually spent thirty odd years looking for a rock. The rest of it was just securing funding and transporting it to its place. Which takes me back to the static mobile home analogy.

Further, the artist himself refuses to explain the thought or concept behind this and many of his other works.

Which just proves my point even more, in my opinion.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 27/6/2012 1:31:11 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 97
Damien Hirst's "Angel of the West" - 3/7/2012 1:12:49 AM   
Goodfella

I live in the same village as Mr Hirst and needless to say he's an odd character from his clashes with local councillors to his midnight walks on the beach with his kids when I occasionally bump into him on my way home from work and he looks completely out of it. Now this...

Ilfracombe, or 'Combe or Ilfrascum as it's more "affectionately" known, is the next town on where Hirst's restaurant The Quay resides and where he plans to fund 400 eco-homes in the near future. Funnily enough Combe, which is strikes to the average British holidaymaker as your picturesque postcard town (I'm betting 2 out of every 5 posters who read this reply have holidayed there at some point in their lives!) is in fact a haven for teenage pregnancy with one of the highest rates in North Devon not too mention being on the top five towns in the country for the highest class a drug addiction and anti-social behaviour the statue of a naked pregnant woman wielding a sword is perhaps most fitting of all for the town's hidden image!

It's split opinion around here so I'm wondering what everyone else here thinks? That's the car park by the harbour where the image has been super-imposed to by the way. It's been raining clearly. Major surprise there...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 98
RE: Damien Hirst's "Angel of the West" - 3/7/2012 1:10:32 PM   
great_badir

Joe Delucci's ice cream is ace...

I think everyone probably knows my thoughts on this one. But at least someone's actually put some thought and will, presumably, put some work into it.

Otherwise...let's just say I'm glad I won't have to see it every day (if it does indeed get the go ahead, of course).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 99
RE: Damien Hirst's "Angel of the West" - 3/7/2012 4:08:57 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Joe Delucci's ice cream is ace...

I think everyone probably knows my thoughts on this one. But at least someone's actually put some thought and will, presumably, put some work into it.

Otherwise...let's just say I'm glad I won't have to see it every day (if it does indeed get the go ahead, of course).

I knew I'd find a poster who'd been there! Personally I think Hocking's is better, have you tried that? But Delucci's is good.

I don't know your thoughts but I'm intrigued gb?

Yeah it's pretty hideous from my perspective and won't add much flavour to the harbour but then again it will be another major tourist attraction and that's where the money comes from round here so I'm a little divided. That's a great fishing spot though where it's been super-imposed on the photo, I'll be intrigued to know what the local fisherman think since it'll need a cordon for protection and that could potentially restrict the fishing areas.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

Post #: 100
RE: Damien Hirst's "Angel of the West" - 3/7/2012 10:21:21 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella
I knew I'd find a poster who'd been there! Personally I think Hocking's is better, have you tried that? But Delucci's is good.

Yeah it's pretty hideous from my perspective and won't add much flavour to the harbour but then again it will be another major tourist attraction and that's where the money comes from round here so I'm a little divided. That's a great fishing spot though where it's been super-imposed on the photo, I'll be intrigued to know what the local fisherman think since it'll need a cordon for protection and that could potentially restrict the fishing areas.

We didn't come across Hockings, but I was just stoked to find someone doing reasonably proper gelato in the South West - rare indeed, given how much this part of the country loves its super rich creamery ice cream.

My thoughts - well, this very thread probably has enough of them to give you an idea...

Every time he does a new piece, I just imagine him getting off the phone with his financiers, or manager, or whomever he deals with for these things, turns to his wife/girlfriend and, shaking his head with a smile on his face, says "I've got away with it again!"

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 101
RE: Damien Hirst's "Angel of the West" - 4/7/2012 2:36:27 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

We didn't come across Hockings, but I was just stoked to find someone doing reasonably proper gelato in the South West - rare indeed, given how much this part of the country loves its super rich creamery ice cream.

My thoughts - well, this very thread probably has enough of them to give you an idea...

Every time he does a new piece, I just imagine him getting off the phone with his financiers, or manager, or whomever he deals with for these things, turns to his wife/girlfriend and, shaking his head with a smile on his face, says "I've got away with it again!"

Yeah it is pretty difficult to find decent, homemade ice cream round here, or ice cream that basically isn't Carte D'Or or some cheap crap bought from Tesco that has been placed in a fancy-looking tub in a shop and sold off as anything but. Hockings is great if you ever get the chance to try it though, their Clotted Cream flavour is fantastic!

To be honest I started the thread but didn't read a great deal much past the first page but Hirst doesn't actually produce much of his own work any more as I'm sure you know, he commissions it, his view is that his "concepts inspire his artists to produce work of his mind and inspirations, therefore making it his". I suspect this statue has been designed by one of those students.

It's believed, well if you believed the story that circulated the national newspapers a few weeks back, he's split from his wife who he lives with in the farmhouse up the road from me. They lived there with their three children but apparently she's left with them and he disappeared off on a 3-day bender, although he's sworn he rarely drinks any more and certainly doesn't do any more drugs.

Post #: 102
RE: Damien Hirst's "Angel of the West" - 4/7/2012 1:38:17 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

To be honest I started the thread but didn't read a great deal much past the first page but Hirst doesn't actually produce much of his own work any more as I'm sure you know, he commissions it, his view is that his "concepts inspire his artists to produce work of his mind and inspirations, therefore making it his". I suspect this statue has been designed by one of those students.

This is how most artists have always operated. The vast majority of notable artists started out as apprentices, and this is a practice that goes back to the Renaisance period and beyond. It's also worth noting that an artist isn't necessarily an artisan, or particularly well-versed in a specific craft, so professionals are employed to do specific tasks. There's an interesting article on it here -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/apr/01/artists-assistants-hirst-emin-dean

As the person who worked for Hirst says, "Lots of the Old Masters had people doing things for them. Damien created the idea; we just did the manufacturing.", while another says "The common analogy is that you wouldn't expect an architect to build his own building".

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 4/7/2012 1:39:56 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 103
RE: Damien Hirst's "Angel of the West" - 16/10/2012 3:24:32 AM   
Goodfella

Well the statue is here. I went out for dinner in Ilfracombe on Sunday night and had a few drinks prior at Hirst's restuarant and bar which is about 100 yards from where the statue is due to be erected. You could only see half of it as the rest of it is under a giant stage and canopy, up close it wasn't what I expected to be honest, I didn't realise that there was an internal view on one side of the pregnant woman showing the growing fetus. I guess that will be deliberated over by all the world's art critics (who have descended on Ilfracombe if you ask me as since the statue arrived there has been sudden influx of Porsche 4X4s and Mercedes into the local area and believe me people round that way think a Vauxhall Vectra is posh!) but it doesn't mean much to me, personally it's not my 'cup of tea' but then not much of modern art is, I'm completely indifferent to it. I don't dislike it so much that I don't want it but by the same token I care absolutely not a morsel for it, I actually do like some of the art in his bar (there is a very impressive mounted collection of sea trout on one of the walls) but apart from that it means nada to me.

It was supposed to go up today but as far as I'm aware it hasn't yet, I think they're waiting for certain weather conditions to carry out tests to check, well check that basically it will stay upright. On a mildly amusing note, I'm looking forward to seeing how often and exactly the council will clean it (it's on a free lease for 20 years from Hirst's estate but the cleaning and upkeep is entirely down to North Devon District Council who struggle to keep the outside of their own offices clean let alone anything else) especially given the amount of seagull shit it is going to be blasted with next year. If they don't have safeguarded plans, she won't be bronze, she'll be like a character out of The Simpsons by the end of next June.

It's interesting to hear people's views on it around here. They're's a very cynical attitude round here to this, as there has been to much of Hirst's stuff, but people are finding it hard to argue with the tourism trade it is likely to bring. That is what this area survives on and undoubtedly it will manifest, personally and this is a majority view round these parts, Ilfracombe needs some major work. It's a delipadated, faking-it "picturesque postcard" town with an alcohol and heroin problem so vast that Shameless could do a one-off episode down there. It survives on it's summer trade of cream teas, tackiness and boats that look glorious from the outside but would probably crumble if someone actually pulled the anchor up. This is a step in the right direction, the council have point-blank refused to put any money into a place like Ilfracombe, they prefer Croyde and Barnstaple, and it shows. It may attract further interest and more outside investment and that will do it the world of good.

Post #: 104
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: If you think Damien Hirst is mad.... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI