Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Cosmopolis

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Cosmopolis Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cosmopolis - 8/6/2012 2:38:51 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Eh? - 11/6/2012 10:49:24 AM   
Moronifighter

If I cant understand half of the words used in the review what hope have I got of understanding / enjoying the film?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Ha - 11/6/2012 11:57:53 AM   
chris wootton

When reviewing a more avante garde piece of cinema.. one must enter their own ass as deep as possible. Congratulations Mr Nathan

Post #: 3
C-C-C-Combo Breaker - 11/6/2012 2:02:25 PM   
lukeynemo

Like the people below, I haven't seen the film so technically have no right to post up star ratings, but just thought I'd balance out the average score after the nonsense of Mornifighter (the fact you can't understand certain words is your fault, not Mr Nathan's) and the arrogance of Wooton (using an extended vocabularly is not the same as pretension).

Post #: 4
Excepcional piece of art - 11/6/2012 8:40:33 PM   
vanee

I read Cosmopolis about 2 years ago and to be honest, I wasn't sure about how a director could make a movie about that book. But, for my total surprise, Mr. Cronenberg has done an awesome job portraying it into the big screen. The script is very loyal to the book (that's the reason most people will not like this movie, as all the hard dialogue makes you THINK...) and all the actors have done a great job. Hats off and special mention for Robert Pattinson as he's awesome on the skin of Eric Paker.
I highly reccomend this film to all the people who's looking for something more than all the crap 3D blockbusters that rule the box office this days... This movie is real art.

Post #: 5
RE: C-C-C-Combo Breaker - 12/6/2012 9:07:32 AM   
Moronifighter

quote:

ORIGINAL: lukeynemo

Like the people below, I haven't seen the film so technically have no right to post up star ratings, but just thought I'd balance out the average score after the nonsense of Mornifighter (the fact you can't understand certain words is your fault, not Mr Nathan's) and the arrogance of Wooton (using an extended vocabularly is not the same as pretension).

Lukeynomo- You Sir have not understood my point and inferring I was making aspersions at Ian Nathans review is incorrect. I was not criticising him nor the review, and was only asking a genuine question as to whether I will enjoy/ understand the film if I do not understand the review...

(in reply to lukeynemo)
Post #: 6
WTF ?? - 12/6/2012 3:50:30 PM   
tylerseven

4 stars to this pretencious piece of shit ??
Is this a joke ??

Post #: 7
RE: Ha - 12/6/2012 5:59:17 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris wootton

When reviewing a more avante garde piece of cinema.. one must enter their own ass as deep as possible. Congratulations Mr Nathan

In all seriousness Im going to check this film out.

(in reply to chris wootton)
Post #: 8
RE: Ha - 12/6/2012 11:17:54 PM   
furrybastard

I've liked most of Cronenberg's films in the past but I do feel this is ultimately a failure, and a very dull one at that. Nice cast, Pattinson does a decent job, but overall it's extremely tedious and doesn't quite seem to know how best to deal with the issues in play..

Disappointing.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 9
RE: Ha - 15/6/2012 6:37:32 PM   
R W

I recently watched Paul Thomas Andersonís There Will Be Blood, which still remains as one of the masterworks of the last decade. Although there are many interpretations you may have towards that film, one main aspect of it is about the rise and fall of an oilman which spans over two decades. In the case of Cosmopolis, the new film directed by David Cronenberg, we see the day in the life of billionaire Eric Parker (Robert Pattinson) who loses during the course of the day, falls into financial suicide.

Without having read Don DeLilloís novel of which this is based, this critic approaches this as a fan of the Canadian auteur. Whilst he is a master of body horror, Cronenberg does occasionally step into obscure directions from the typewriting insects of Naked Lunch to the sex-crazed car accident-lovers of Crash. The latter in particular bears some similarity to Cosmopolis, in which for a lot of it takes place in Ericís limo where he talks to a series of characters about sex, violence and money, whilst journeying through Manhattan to get a haircut.

Like Taxi Driver, this is a first-person narrative as Eric is living in his own world in the shape of the limo, not bothering with the chaos from outside, such as a protest involving a large rat (see the film). From one conversation to another, there will be some that will not understand the filmís somewhat experimental narrative and certainly will be disappointed with its lack of action, of which the previews suggested. However, if you are someone who want to keep their brain in gear, Cosmopolis makes a strong point about capitalism as Ericís lack of humanity and the massive wealth he is about to lose makes him an enemy of the public.

Just as Daniel Radcliffe manages to shake off the HP glasses when cast in The Woman in Black, Twi-hards will be surprised by the darkness that Robert Pattinson brings. This is a smart piece of casting as while the actor is one of the richest and popular celebrities of the century, but in the role of the self-destructive billionaire, he is unsympathetic and the actions he takes are quite out there, such as wanting to get tasered. Surrounding our anti-hero is a fine ensemble with actors such as Juliette Binoche and Samanatha Morton appearing in only one scene, although the truly menacing Paul Giamatti creates a thrilling and unexpected climax.

Like the controversial drama Crash, Cosmopolis will challenge and surprise audiences with its lack of plot or indeed action, but with Cronenbergís atmospheric direction and a fantastically different performance from Robert Pattinson this is a standout.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 10
RE: Ha - 15/6/2012 10:46:33 PM   
snazzy_sophie

I agree with the review...thought it was going to be extremely tedious (and agree the last scene did drag) but although extremely talky I enjoyed listening to everything that was said, particularly between Eric and his wife. I was the only person in the cinema who seemed to laugh at the couple (you'll probably know once you've watched) scenes that were just ridiculous - in a good way of course. Apart from Crash have only seen Cronenberg's latest four but gonna check out Videodrome soon.

http://www.literallygeeking.org

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 11
Beguiling, frustrating... strange. - 16/6/2012 11:25:57 AM   
Filmfan 2

This movie established a new record last night for people walking out of a movie I've attended at the cinema - fourteen. Two of them made it right up to the last scene and walked out - pointless, but fair play to them.

I haven't read the source material so I'm unable to draw comparisons between the two. What I will say, however, is that Cosmopolis is probably one of the strangest and, at times, the most beguiling cinema experiences I've had for quite some time.

If you're not a fan of talky movies, particularly talky movies laden with philosophical dialogue with a slightly nihilistic, existentialist world view, then steer well clear of this movie. If you're prepared to engage with it, however, it's both frustrating and incredibly rewarding. I think the dialogue got a little too wrapped up in itself at times which kind of removed me from the film, but just when I thought my eyes might start to glaze over, something would be said that got me thinking. The highlight of the movie for me was the conversion between Samantha Morton's character and R-Patz; that had some quite remarkable insights into the relationship between technology and capitalism, and our role inside it.

I once read of one reviewer (might have been this mag, can't remember) referring to The Fountain as the greatest movie they never want to see again, and I think that's how I feel about this film. I fear this movie will sink like a stone and disappear from cinemas all too quickly (the mainstream ones, at least) and that's a shame as it's a film that deserves an audience. If it does nothing else, it might be the movie that rids Robert Pattinson of some of his more hysterical fans if they go into this movie expecting him to glitter at some point.

7.5/10.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 16/6/2012 11:30:03 AM >

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to snazzy_sophie)
Post #: 12
OH DEAR!!!!!!!!!!! - 16/6/2012 5:33:04 PM   
Ramone87

Nothing more than possbily the dullest and most pretentious 2 hours I have spent in the multiplex for quite a while!! What we start of with is promising enough, a billionaire buisness man in his rediculously over designed limousine cruising for a haircut through troubled Manhattan. AND THAT's the story and I mean that is IT.

What we get sandwhiched between is encounters with various city geeks and employees calculating data and figures. philosophising about currency and the importance of 'rats' in the economic infastructure,....Snoooooooooooooooze.

Then Samantha Morton pop's up as some 'Chief of Theory' to warn us of the evils of currency and captalism and the nature of self destruction as re-birth, etc, etc, no wonder Robert Pattisons character Eric Patter is sitting staring at his limo ceiling thinking WHY? Her speel just drone's on and on,..oh and there's a riot outside aswell....oh and a rectal examination after some sweaty sex,...REALLY.

Then there is a laughable 'relationship' if you could call it that with his estranged wife played by Sarah Gadon. The dialougue is just bizzare between them; like automated robots as are the rest of the cast, speaking about sex, life, food and the universe in such a mechanised stilted way it fustrates more so than engage. and that's how you feel all the way through this movie; FUSTRATED.

Maybe that's what Cronenberg want's us to feel, but you just cannot empaphise with such souless odd entities as they moan and drone about why, who and what brings them all together in Manhattan city. I mean I do admire Cronenbergs work, I love The Fly, Dead Zone to name a few of his truly good films, but this has to be his worst film!!

No wonder it has Pattison reaching for his revolver and will have you as well if you dare watch this trash. With the most abrupt and plain stupid ending involving Paul giamatti as some Manhattan ex employee of Eric Patter with some serious issue's with 'words' and why he suddenly use's them!?

Ok and that's it, it's so hard to even recommend this film, watch at your own peril!!

< Message edited by Ramone87 -- 16/6/2012 5:35:31 PM >

Post #: 13
I'm sure I will enjoy! - 16/6/2012 6:15:25 PM   
dannyfletch

I just know I will like this as I am a die hard fan of everything Cronenberg! Looks good from the trailer and the negative reviews just make me want to see it more!

Post #: 14
Tedious and aggravating beyond belief. - 17/6/2012 8:07:23 PM   
alsybroth

I'm patient when it comes to overly talky films, but in this case this film was a real test of endurance. More than 20 people walked out in my screening and I don't blame them. Afetr the first 25 mins all I heard out of everyone's mouths turned to just simply 'blah, blah, blah'.
It was dull, monotonic, pretentious and emotionally dead. Cronenberg, please do better next time.

Post #: 15
I didn't get it... - 17/6/2012 10:54:00 PM   
chubs

I have no objection Arty-ish films, and I have liked Cronenberg in the past but I really did not get this! I have never been in a screen where so many people walked out in the first 30 minutes - I may have done as well but it's a personal rule that if I've bothered to go in, I will watch to the end. Was it real, was it not, was he talking to himself at the end? I came out not knowing what the hell I had just watched - and I have read your review twice and I am still none the wiser - even Cronenberg lovers will struggle with this!

Post #: 16
I didn't get it... - 17/6/2012 10:54:01 PM   
chubs

I have no objection Arty-ish films, and I have liked Cronenberg in the past but I really did not get this! I have never been in a screen where so many people walked out in the first 30 minutes - I may have done as well but it's a personal rule that if I've bothered to go in, I will watch to the end. Was it real, was it not, was he talking to himself at the end? I came out not knowing what the hell I had just watched - and I have read your review twice and I am still none the wiser - even Cronenberg lovers will struggle with this!

Post #: 17
why critics like pretentious drivle - 17/6/2012 10:59:10 PM   
darkhart

I can only assume that film critics are threatened by pretentious drivel to the point of awarding undeserving praise so as to not look stupid. Add Cosmopolis to the list!

Post #: 18
RE: Beguiling, frustrating... strange. - 20/6/2012 3:19:34 AM   
flickoftheswitch

It was crazy and I got to say more than a little distracting the amount of people that got up and left from about half an hour in, right up to the last scene with Paul Giamatti. Think I would be guessing fairly conservatively that if there were roughly 40 people at the screening, at least 18 left at various stages, most before the half way mark!!

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 19
RE: Beguiling, frustrating... strange. - 20/6/2012 1:22:13 PM   
Wild about Wilder

I usually quite enjoy Cronenberg's movies yet this one just left me cold boring would be an understatement though have to admit R-Patz did the best he could do & Morton & Giamatti were their usual quality but the others were just so one dimensional.
2/5

(in reply to flickoftheswitch)
Post #: 20
RE: Beguiling, frustrating... strange. - 20/6/2012 4:13:43 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

This movie established a new record last night for people walking out of a movie I've attended at the cinema - fourteen. Two of them made it right up to the last scene and walked out - pointless, but fair play to them.

I didn't count but loads of people walked of the screening I was in as well, it was probably around that number.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 21
RE: Beguiling, frustrating... strange. - 21/6/2012 12:27:33 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Just came out of this tonight (first thing I've seen in a fortnight thanks to the football) & to echo the words of others in the thread, this was probably the thing I've sat through with the most ever walkouts (comfortably eclipsing the likes of Antichrist ). Despite my prejudice over people leaving a film early, I really don't blame them either.

It's all very well for a film to talk profoundly about the ills of capitalism, the concept of greed, the idea that a man with so much wealth & power can become extremely isolated from the wider world & even detached from the immediate reality of his own existence as a result etc. However, if you don't have a strategy to condense these themes into a dramatically engaging piece, there is no point - to ANY of it.

Frustrating really is the best word to describe Cosmopolis. Despite a very good Pattison performance (in fairness, the cast are all pretty good - even Jay Burchuel!), it's consumed by its own nonsense. You will drown in dialogue that constantly ventures off in multiple directions. You'll be introduced to a bunch of people with a spiel to churn out, before disappearing shortly after, never to appear again. You will yearn for some visual storytelling, yet you will get none. They'll keep talking...and talking...and talking...and talking...and talking some more, before reaching the scene with Paul Giamatti with near delirium (perhaps that's why it was my favourite scene in the film?)

Perhaps it works as a novel, it probably could work as a stageplay (as long as they cut it down to an hour in length), but it does not work as a narrative film whatsoever. Yet, no doubt there will be the odd critic or pseudo-intellectual who will leap to its defence for its "profound observations on our consumerist culture" - failing to mention that their mind probably wondered a fair bit when they realised they have some nectar points to use up.

Come on David, two disengaging films with only months apart - you're much better than this!

2/5

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 21/6/2012 12:31:03 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 22
RE: Beguiling, frustrating... strange. - 21/6/2012 4:06:27 PM   
Filmfan 2

I must say, I agree with pretty much everything Kermode's got to say on the subject of this film, particularly in regards to Cronenberg's willingness to experiment. There aren't many director's this late in their careers who are wiling to make a film that dares to try something different and for that, at least, he can be applauded.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 23
Cosmopolis - time to rat on it! - 24/6/2012 7:43:06 PM   
filmsunlimited

When a film opens about a quote with a rat being the new form of currency, one's interest is piqued. Is this a film set in some dystopian future? Well folks, the dystopian future is now where stockbrokers speculate and make and lose billions, but at the expense of soul and feeling. So much so that Tasering is desired and shooting onesself through the hand is desirable.
The walkout rate in this was unbelievable, and this is in one of the UKs more cosmopolitan metropolisses!!
It is ironic that Packer is so concerned about his prostate - to many, (particularly those around the normal or les intelligent end of the Normal distribution, or simply those looking for actual action or those not in the mood for what sometimes feels like a sit-through dissertation from someone doing Economics minoring in Philosophy) - the whole exercise feels like it is completely up its own prostate at times!
The whole business about rats being the new unit of currency (or speculated as such) mirrors the absurdities that our capitalist system has created. And it is good to see what could have been Packer's alternate fate, completely disowning capitalism in a derelict building, with a Portaloo whose excrement falls to the floor below.
While this is certainly one for a long post-film discussion about the whole point of it, this will divide between those that see it as a work of genius and those that regard it as pretensious drivel. I think it sits in unstable equilibrium between the two.

Post #: 24
RE: Cosmopolis - 18/11/2012 10:17:54 PM   
mattdavies86

Just finished watching this on DVD. One of the most testing and dull films I've had the displeasure of enduring. Having watched 'The Tree Of Life' last week, I was fairly certain nothing could ever match that for levels of boredom. Utterly pointless, with Pattinson's performance perhaps the only redeeming feature.

Much prefer Cronenberg's more accessible films (e.g. The Fly, A History Of Violence, Eastern Promises) rather than his experimental tripe like this and Crash.

Post #: 25
RE: Cosmopolis - 23/11/2012 12:15:12 PM   
ripperman

A film that desperately wants you to think itís clever, funny and engaging but just comes across as pretentious, vacuous and utterly boring. A string of fancy words and cod philosophy about economy does not a good film make. Pattinson is entirely out of his league for the most part although to be fair there was one fleeting moment where I imagined him as possible Patrick Bateman from American Psycho, emotionless and completely clueless as regards the real world. Paul Giamatti is absurdly over the top too just when you thought he might salvage some of it. Very disappointing Mr Cronenberg.

Post #: 26
Fantastic film, fantastic review - 3/1/2013 3:00:57 AM   
jordieb

Got to say I agree with the review entirely, I think it's a film which is definitely aided by repeat viewings as the dialogue sort of slips into a rhythm and you absorb much more as a viewer. The context and subject matter of the film is incredibly poignant and Pattinson delivers a performance as cold as polished steel, and I definitely agree with Ian Nathan's interpretation of the final scene, he is the representation of Packer's consciousness, he's a self reflective tool on Packer's self destruction. It won't be to everyone's tastes but a few years from now I feel it will receive more acclaim than it is doing.

Post #: 27
TERRIBLE! - 5/1/2013 7:16:31 AM   
Siebert

Who is paying the critics to write these reviews? FOUR STARS!?

Absolutely one of the worst pieces of cinema I have seen in my life. It would have been better as radio, but still would have been awful.

What a bunch of philosophical hogwash this film is. Most memorable line: "Death is a Scandal". Wow, that is deep. I could ponder that for weeks...

...and then bitch-slap the writer across the face for being such a dimwitted faux bohemian.

Too bad they didn't use live rats in this film... but they would have upstaged the dreadful acting.

Post #: 28
RE: TERRIBLE! - 6/1/2013 1:26:14 PM   
princessa

This film explored some interesting ideas and the dialogue for the most part worked. However it was so philosophical that I feel that it would have worked better as a play than a film. It deosn't help taht the film is set mainly in one area (the limousine).

Pattison is pretty good in this. My favourite scenes were between him and his girlfriend. I did however get a bit bored half way through. I would recommend renting the DVD or waiting for it to come on tv. It is heavy going at times and is not really that entertaining.

A very weird film that overall did not work for me.

(in reply to Siebert)
Post #: 29
Terrible - i know this!! - 21/1/2013 5:22:44 PM   
Daniel James Taylor

What a load of old waffle! Terrible film - tries to be clever but actually has no point. Why did he choose that day to chart his own downfall? If he wanted to strip himself of his life, why did he try to save his life by reasoning with the guy at the end (with towel hood). If this is art, it's that crap type of "Tracy Emin" art where they try to convince you they are high concept but make out to be simple and have no point or purpose, but in actual fact its the opposite, trying to bamboozle us with such simple crap that we are left searching for art on a dirty bed. Ian Nathan to please have head examined before writing next review - wasted 2 hours of weekend on this pony.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Cosmopolis Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI