Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

ARM Holdings

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> ARM Holdings Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 12:29:06 AM   
Phubbs

Anyone heard of this company? I hadn't till yesterday but I'm amazed!

Google them and see for yourself.
Post #: 1
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 12:41:32 AM   
Spaldron

Is this a spam thread?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 2
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 12:44:41 AM   
Shifty Bench

You mean we have to search for the story ourselves? What's the point in that? That's like someone posting a thread saying 'guess who died today? You won't believe it! Search Google to find out'.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 3
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 1:01:32 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ARM Holdings plc (LSE: ARM, NASDAQ: ARMH) is a British multinational semiconductor and software design company headquartered in Cambridge. Its largest business is in processors, although it also designs software development tools under the RealView and Keil brands, systems and platforms, system-on-a-chip infrastructure and software. It is considered to be market dominant in the field of mobile phone chips and is arguably the best-known of the 'Silicon Fen' companies.[5]

This thread is lacking some serious impact....

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 4
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 1:03:35 AM   
Spaldron

I don't understand the point of it either.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 1:05:49 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I don't understand the point of it either.

When I saw ARM Holdings I thought maybe it was an international arms dealer or something, but all I can find is this company that basically is top of the range in producing mobile phone chips, and I could be off there as I find that stuff quite boring.

Perhaps Phubbs would care to explain as 150-odd posts with proper English and grammar used suggests he's not a spambot...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 6
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 3:54:14 AM   
Phubbs

Hehe OK its maybe not that bigger deal but basically I was surprised to discover this UK based company basically runs the world, the electronic world.

Every chip in anything from a mobile phone to a washing machine to a calculator to a TV is designed and made by this one company. EVERY SINGLE electronics company you can think of eg. Sony, Panasonic, Apple, Toshiba, Casio etc....is their client, they make/design the chips for all products.

This company basically holds the key for new developments in everything eg. iphone 5 is dependant on them and their interior chips, Apple goes to ARM to design and make the interior chips.

This company makes billions and billions but invests most of it into designing new chips/developments for all companies for the future of technology.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 6:45:03 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

Hehe OK its maybe not that bigger deal but basically I was surprised to discover this UK based company basically runs the world, the electronic world.

Every chip in anything from a mobile phone to a washing machine to a calculator to a TV is designed and made by this one company. EVERY SINGLE electronics company you can think of eg. Sony, Panasonic, Apple, Toshiba, Casio etc....is their client, they make/design the chips for all products.

This company basically holds the key for new developments in everything eg. iphone 5 is dependant on them and their interior chips, Apple goes to ARM to design and make the interior chips.

This company makes billions and billions but invests most of it into designing new chips/developments for all companies for the future of technology.

You lost me at 'chip'.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 8
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 9:18:03 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Here are ARM-based products' market share in different market segments in 2010: over 95% in smartphone market; 10% in mobile computers; 35% in digital TVs and set-top boxes; however, ARM did not have any market share in servers and desktop PCs

quote:

Original: PHubbs

This company makes billions and billions

quote:

In 2011, ARM's total revenue was $192 million in the third quarter, an increase of 22% compared to the same quarter of 2010, due to 28 new chip licensing revenue

If it makes billions there's some serious tax evasion going on.

Not to mention any chip company can be as successful as it wants - but isn't it entirely dependent on the expensive elements used in manufacture, outwith their control?

And this isn't news - do we have a guess the topic section?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 9
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 11:39:26 AM   
Rhubarb

So...does Phubbs work for ARM?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 11:54:42 AM   
shool

I know ARM. A lot of the next release of Windows 8 is going to be geared up to run on ARM processors as well as x86.

Quite interesting if you're a geek like me.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 11
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 1:34:59 PM   
homersimpson_esq

There's a subsidiary company that deals with dating companies called HAND holding.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 12
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 1:42:29 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Their shares are shown on the Footsie.......

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 13
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 1:45:27 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 14
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 2:12:55 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

You two need to get out more.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 15
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 2:21:13 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I know ARM.

Take this out of context and it becomes a 'do you have consider...'

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 16
RE: ARM Holdings - 8/6/2012 2:48:37 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I know ARM.

Take this out of context and it becomes a 'do you have consider...'

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 17
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 5:26:08 AM   
Phubbs

My friend, who is at Uni, was set the task (along with his class) to research this company as many people have never heard of them, myself included. The reason being this company is behind everything electronic you can think of (interior chip wise) and really does have everyone as their client hehe.

My friend told me all about it as he did some report or homework (whatever) for his Uni course (some business degree of something).

Everyone believes companies like Sony, Apple, Samsung, Mircosoft etc....make their own parts or develop their own genius gadgets/machines, which they do to a certain extent but the innards/chips are all designed and made by ARM. EVERYTHING goes through ARM!!

I do not work for ARM hehe I wish!! they recruit Cambridge Uni grads (their HQ is right next to Cambridge Uni...yes that Cambridge Uni).

And yes ARM makes TONNES and TONNES of money from massive companies like Apple or Microsoft because they design and make the new chips which go into new computers, phones etc... It seems they charge so much for designing and making the chips required for a new item as a whole plus a royalty for each item sold.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 18
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 7:52:57 AM   
Hobbitonlass

So what?

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 19
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 2:03:44 PM   
great_badir

Yeah, quite a pointless thread really. I only wanted to post in here to say that I have heard of ARM and am also surprised that a company that most of the world depends on (South Korea would be broken and The Gadget Show would have nothing to talk about if it wasn't for ARM) is located in a small leafy ancient town where most people ride around on bicycles.

Aaaaaaaaaaand...........that's the end of that story.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 20
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 3:15:27 PM   
Sledge Hammer

quote:

My friend, who is at Uni, was set the task (along with his class) to research this company as many people have never heard of them, myself included. The reason being this company is behind everything electronic you can think of (interior chip wise) and really does have everyone as their client hehe.

My friend told me all about it as he did some report or homework (whatever) for his Uni course (some business degree of something).

Everyone believes companies like Sony, Apple, Samsung, Mircosoft etc....make their own parts or develop their own genius gadgets/machines, which they do to a certain extent but the innards/chips are all designed and made by ARM. EVERYTHING goes through ARM!!

I do not work for ARM hehe I wish!! they recruit Cambridge Uni grads (their HQ is right next to Cambridge Uni...yes that Cambridge Uni).

And yes ARM makes TONNES and TONNES of money from massive companies like Apple or Microsoft because they design and make the new chips which go into new computers, phones etc... It seems they charge so much for designing and making the chips required for a new item as a whole plus a royalty for each item sold.

Can you clarify which Cambridge Uni that is please? Is it the one in West Yorkshire, near Flamingo Land?

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 21
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 3:27:18 PM   
elab49

quote:

The reason being this company is behind everything electronic you can think of (interior chip wise)

Not based on the market share above, and certainly not alone.

quote:

Everyone believes companies like Sony, Apple, Samsung, Mircosoft etc....make their own parts

It would be odd if they did. Any news item on the close down of a major manufacturer will refer to the fall out down the supply chain. Because most major manufactors will rely on an extensive supply chain for various bits and pieces. It's not exactly a little known piece of info that memory went through the roof a few years back because of a natural disaster in the area of the world where it virtually all comes from. And most of these tiny things rely on rare elements that you're not really going to be digging out of a field in Cambridge. So ARM will be beholden to its own supply chain as well one would presume.

Which might explain the relatively low income the plc seems to be showing compared to the apparent licence monopoly it has in some areas.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 22
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 4:15:15 PM   
Darth Marenghi

What a strange thread. I suppose as a child of the 80s with fond memories of the BBC B micro and the Archimedes I would perhaps be more likely to know who ARM were than most, but... they're hardly unknowns are they?

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 4:33:17 PM   
Phubbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Yeah, quite a pointless thread really. I only wanted to post in here to say that I have heard of ARM and am also surprised that a company that most of the world depends on (South Korea would be broken and The Gadget Show would have nothing to talk about if it wasn't for ARM) is located in a small leafy ancient town where most people ride around on bicycles.

Aaaaaaaaaaand...........that's the end of that story.

I guess this was my main point that's what surprised me, and I had never heard of them.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 24
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 11:06:20 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
And most of these tiny things rely on rare elements that you're not really going to be digging out of a field in Cambridge. So ARM will be beholden to its own supply chain as well one would presume.

True. But, in Phubbs' defence, ARM really are major-major-major players and pretty much the only people that do what they do and are able to do what they do, similar to that company who provide (I think) 99% of online digital certificates (and, again I think, that company is also based in some unlikely English hamlet).

I can't even remember how I became aware of ARM, cos I'm not massively into computers and aren't really a technophile with anything other than AV equipment, but I AM aware of them and they ARE a big deal in the computer world.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 11:12:22 PM   
Olaf

A thread about ARM? Sounds like someone HAS A CHIP ON THEIR SHOULDER

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 26
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 11:13:38 PM   
elab49

Oh, absolutely - there were just a few odd absolutes up above in areas where they've low to no market shares.

I'm not sure how I know the name either. I tend to assume with tech companies like that they've popped up in arms to Iraq or stuff about the ECGD. Although, granted, that normally seems to be military stuff. Which I guess chips would be to, so maybe.

quote:

Post #: 27
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 11:15:21 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Get out.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 28
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 11:20:28 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Get out.

When I'm dead, you'll be hailing me as a comedy genius.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 29
RE: ARM Holdings - 9/6/2012 11:31:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Get out.

When I'm dead, you'll be hailing me as a comedy genius.

Took me a while to process the joke...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> ARM Holdings Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI