Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Samuel L Jackson Finds Robocop Remake

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Samuel L Jackson Finds Robocop Remake Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Samuel L Jackson Finds Robocop Remake - 6/6/2012 11:40:13 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
F**k This Movie - 6/6/2012 11:40:13 PM   
Ciaran McNulty

Was awaiting this project for a long time coz I thought it would be a slightly rebooted sequel. But now I hear it's yet another flat-out remake of a great origin story. Another movie standing on the shoulders and giants and taking a piss.
Up yours, Hollywood. Seriously.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
"I'd buy THAT for a dollar!" (A dollar might ... - 7/6/2012 11:03:33 AM   
BenTramer

They have to keep that satirical, punky edge that the original had (ultraviolence is optional). If they go all PC on that, this remake will be anaemic and forgettable (the all-star cast in this one is worrying). They've remade Paul Verhoeven's Total Recall and now Robocop, are Basic Instinct and Showgirls next?

Post #: 3
RE: "I'd buy THAT for a dollar!" (A dollar mi... - 7/6/2012 11:10:03 AM   
ED-209

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

They have to keep that satirical, punky edge that the original had (ultraviolence is optional). If they go all PC on that, this remake will be anaemic and forgettable (the all-star cast in this one is worrying). They've remade Paul Verhoeven's Total Recall and now Robocop, are Basic Instinct and Showgirls next?

With respect though, the new Total Recall film is NOT a remake of the 1990 movie. It is a 're-imagining' of the original Philip K. Dick story.

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 4
RE: "I'd buy THAT for a dollar!" (A dollar mi... - 7/6/2012 11:41:26 AM   
SilentJimbo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ED-209

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

With respect though, the new Total Recall film is NOT a remake of the 1990 movie. It is a 're-imagining' of the original Philip K. Dick story.

Yes, a re-imaging' that just happens to use the same title as the other film, rather than that of the original story.
If it looks like a remake, swims like a remake, and quacks like a remake...

(in reply to ED-209)
Post #: 5
I give; I'm excited - 7/6/2012 12:23:58 PM   
dgribble

Gary Oldman, now Sam JAckson; this remake will not let me hate it!

Post #: 6
Remakes Are Nothing New - 7/6/2012 7:42:31 PM   
chris kilby

Some of the all time greats from Hollywood's Golden Age were themselves re-makes - The Maltese Falcon, The Wizard of Oz, Ben-Hur. Some films and (iconic) characters get re-made (or "re-booted") again and again - Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula. Then there's whatsisname? The one who dresses up like a bat...

Sure, most re-makes are unimaginative, creatively bankrupt rubbish, especially lately. But again, this is nothing new. Personally, I could probably do without a re-hash of Paul Verhoeven's satirical classic - the best Judge Dredd movie ever made! Or ever likely to be made. But Robocop is so of its time (the 80s) that maybe it is ripe for a remake. Provided it's just as savage towards, say, Fox NEWS and the bankers [sic] responsible for the credit crunch. Samuel L Jackson's casting as a TV mogul maybe suggests this.

But fresh take or cynical cash-in, good, bad or indifferent, I think I'll reserve judgement on the Robo re-boot till I've actually seen the damn thing. Despite my initial reservations (Colin Farrell is as sure a barometer of cinematic stench as Eric Idle and Dan Ackroyd!) Total Reboot is actually looking quite promising.

(What ish it with all the Verhoeven remakesh all of a shudden? The flying Dutchman'sh shuch a genuine one-off I think it'sh highly unlikely that anyone will be able to replicate his uniquely shavage shtyle, yesh...?)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 8/6/2012 12:10:40 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Remakes Are Nothing New - 7/6/2012 8:50:48 PM   
chris kilby

Warming to my theme, other remakes include: A Fistful of Dollars (Yojimbo); Star Wars (The Hidden Fortress); Reservoir Dogs is a virtual remake of several films at once (City on Fire, The Taking of Pelham 123 and The Killing); and according no less an infallible authority than the Motion Picture Academy, Martin Scorsese's best film is Raging Bull. Hang on a minute... That's not right.

Oh, and Taxi Driver is an urban remake of The Searchers. The same way Assault on Precinct 13 is an urban remake of Rio Bravo. Itself remade by Howard Hawks. Twice!

Then there's Alien (It! The Terror From Beyond Space); Aliens (Them!) and The Terminator - so similar to the Outer Limits episodes Soldier and Demon With A Glass Hand that Harlan Ellison sued. And won - subsequent releases of The Terminator forced to carry an onscreen acknowledgement of its inspirations.

And now that I think about it, Robocop is a high-tech "re-imagining" of Frankenstein with satirical bells and whistles and lashings of the old ultraviolence. And a blatant Dredd rip-off. Himself Dirty Harry relocated to the future. Do you feel lucky, creep?

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 8/6/2012 12:12:09 AM >

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 8
"Allow Me To Retort!" - 7/6/2012 9:17:23 PM   
BenTramer

@ED-209 Bullshit. Every crappy remake is a "re-imagining" as they can't bring themselves to admit that they're copying a superior work and messing it up. I've seen the trailer for the Total Recall remake and they copy so many moments of the Verhoeven film, even the re-implantation chair Colin Farrell sits in is identical to the 1990 one. Thank you, Mr Nitpicker.

Post #: 9
RE: "Allow Me To Retort!" - 8/6/2012 12:06:53 AM   
chris kilby

Even if Rebootcop sucks we'll still have the original, so what's the problem? It's not like they'll be rounding up everyone's DVDs and ritually burning them all in a giant wicker fanboy, is it? As for Total Rip-Off, I still think we should reserve judgement until we've actually seen it. Or at least until EMPIRE has seen it and overreact accordingly then...

(I would just like to say, officially and on the record, that however many stars EMPIRE ultimately awards Total Recall that it's an absolute outrage and everyone should be sacked. Worst. Review. EVER!!!!!!!!! Probably.)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 8/6/2012 12:13:04 AM >

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Samuel L Jackson Finds Robocop Remake Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI