Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Super Mario Bros.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Super Mario Bros. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Super Mario Bros. - 7/6/2012 2:54:57 PM   
Benson The Grouch

Was the first thing I thought of when I saw this article.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Jumper - 7/6/2012 3:07:10 PM   
CambiMan

Where is Jumper? At the End you don't know what's gonna happen next. It may not have bait but it really needed a sequel to tie up some loss ends like whether his mother is going to come after him.

Post #: 32
RE: Jumper - 7/6/2012 3:27:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

I'm going to be a pedantic shit and say that there is a bit of a mistake in the MAC and Me entry. The words 'we'll be back' are not on the back of the car but on a giant bubble from Mac's mouth as he chews gum. You even show MAC chew gum in the photo you use to accompany the entry

It would have been so much better if it was on the back of the car, to be honest.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to CambiMan)
Post #: 33
Hmmm - 7/6/2012 3:28:40 PM   
djshaiguy

Coincidentally, I've not seen a single one of these films. And I've seen a LOT of films...

Post #: 34
You missed the most obvious one - 7/6/2012 3:33:57 PM   
Dalekbuster523

I can't believe you missed out Monsters VS Aliens. You could tell easily by it's ending that Dreamworks were hoping to make a sequel. Unfortunately,according to google,they were unimpressed with how much money it got from box office so decided not to do one.

Post #: 35
Godzilla! - 7/6/2012 3:39:25 PM   
MikeTheActorMan

Yeah, as someone below me said - thought that was one of the biggest ever! I read this article thinking it'd be the main one! The egg at the end, oooh! and Yeah, Golden Compass too!

Post #: 36
I was waiting for........ - 7/6/2012 3:43:41 PM   
Tosh

......Street Fighter! M Bison doing what baddies do, it seems from this article, by throwing his hand up, just as we thought he was buried!

Post #: 37
- 7/6/2012 3:49:07 PM   
thepluginbaby

Jumanji - the nightmare never ends!!!

Post #: 38
- 7/6/2012 4:30:21 PM   
Zandman75

Yeah, guys - "the Golden Compass", obviously.
I am also hoping and praying that we can add "I am Number Four" to this list.

Post #: 39
Thunderbirds - 7/6/2012 6:10:41 PM   
Rouski

Remember it? It was truly terrible, and as a Thunderbird nerd, I look back and shudder. At the time (i was about 9 though) i thought it was genius and couldn't wait for the sequel that never came. International Rescue had stopped The Hood from robbing all the richest banks in the world, and as he was carried by his man servant to the police car, he looks up at the sky and says something like "I'll get you Thunderbirds!" Well, he never ever did - and now I'm older, wiser with a much better taste in films, I can say - thank god he never did!

Post #: 40
Doc Savage - 7/6/2012 8:07:47 PM   
HMS_Friday

There was supposed to have been a sequel to Doc Savage: The Man Of Bronze, which starred Ron Ely back in 1975. If I remember rightly there was even a mini trailer at the end of the movie for Doc Savage: The Arch Enemy Of Evil. Sadly it never transpired.

N.B. Ron Ely was the bomb!

Post #: 41
RE: - 8/6/2012 12:39:42 AM   
Evil_Bob

quote:

Where is Jumper? At the End you don't know what's gonna happen next. It may not have bait but it really needed a sequel to tie up some loss ends like whether his mother is going to come after him.

Jumper 2 is still in the works apparently.

quote:

PS: You can be certain Green Lantern will be one to add to this list too.

As is Green Lantern 2

quote:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and A Series of Unfortunate Events are both based on the first entries of a series of books and both gave the impression that sequels would follow but never did.

The sequel to Hitchikers is called The Restaurant at the end of the universe and is mentioned at the end of the movie but the restaurant is at the end of the universe in terms of time and not distance and in the movie it is implied that its in terms of distance. This means that instead of actually hinting at a sequel they're just talking about going somewhere to get some food.

How could they miss out on SUPER MARIO BROTHERS though. The end of that so heavily implies a sequel that its like they have the plot of it already.
I loved Push, its such a shame it didnt' do well.

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to marcgiu)
Post #: 42
RE: - 8/6/2012 12:45:31 AM   
Evil_Bob

quote:

I read the entire article waiting for this and it wasn't there: Ash magically transported to a post apocalyptic (and expensive to film) future!
We did get the special ending tagged on at the end but, great as that was, this film still perfectly fits into the list above... except the fact that it's quite popular and people would probably actually watch a sequel, unlike the rest of this dross.

The post-apocalyptic future ending isn't the one that they have in America though so that was never going to happen that way. If they make Evil Dead 4 it will probably carry on from the ending where he ends up in the supermarket instead of the bad future

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to marcgiu)
Post #: 43
- 8/6/2012 2:48:03 AM   
alakabaz

Also The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Just a shame it didn't do well and Sean Connery hated the experience so much he retired :s

Post #: 44
RE: - 8/6/2012 8:53:03 AM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

Jumanji - the nightmare never ends!!!

To be fair, Jumanji does have a sort of sequel in Zathura (And its a better film if im honest!)

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 45
- 8/6/2012 11:06:17 AM   
Ballschin

The common denominator being...they're all terrible movies. Add Prometheus to that list.

Post #: 46
Don't forget... - 8/6/2012 11:20:43 AM   
freyar_88

The Golden Compass. Although that movie was such utter butchery of the brilliant His Dark Materials I'll die happy if a sequel never sees the light of day.

Post #: 47
- 8/6/2012 2:02:46 PM   
Grimm

How about Lemony Snicket's: a series of unfortunate events that never saw the light of day!

Post #: 48
Clive Barkers Nightbreed - 8/6/2012 8:16:52 PM   
fatalhalo

Really thought this one would have made the list. The way it ends with what's left of the 'Breed having escaped the now destroyed Midian and taking sanctuary in a nearby barn. Then the closing shot of Decker being brought back to life by a priest who calls him 'master', and reaching for the camera as if eager for his revenge. Definately left me begging for a sequel.

Post #: 49
Prometheus - 8/6/2012 10:11:16 PM   
BatSpider

Never seen such a cack-handed and cock-eyed film so ineptly try to set up a sequel. Which won't happen, coz after initial curiousity people now know it sucks.

Post #: 50
! - 8/6/2012 11:35:08 PM   
Paulieman

Empire, you forgot the biggest sequel bait of the 90's... Godzilla 1998, the ending there, with the Egg. so many expected a 2nd movie but it never happened. And Godzilla didn't flop that badly

Post #: 51
! - 8/6/2012 11:55:13 PM   
Paulieman

Empire, you forgot the biggest sequel bait of the 90's... Godzilla 1998, the ending there, with the Egg. so many expected a 2nd movie but it never happened. And Godzilla didn't flop that badly

Post #: 52
- 9/6/2012 12:42:59 PM   
harlequin21

Great -- a selection of off the radar films that no one's seen/cares about.

Post #: 53
Franchises That are Not Harry Potter - 9/6/2012 3:13:55 PM   
HighwayJoe

I'm as surprised as a lot of others that all the failed YA literature adaptations green-lit after either 'Harry Potter' or 'Twilight' didn't make this list: 'Unfortunate Events, 'Golden Compass,' 'I am Number Four,' perhaps even 'Guardians of Ga'Hoole'? Or is that still in the pipeline somewhere? Does 'Beastly' have a book sequel? If it does, toss that one in as well.

Another movie I suspected wanted to be a franchise was 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.' In which case, 'The Shadow' [with Alec Baldwin] probably counts as well.

Regarding 'Prometheus' setting up a sequel, though: I think that even if a sequel never appears, the ending still stands. I'm good with not knowing what comes next for [spoiler], as the [spoiler] shot of a [spoiler] pretty much sets up that things are gonna get ugly once Ripley & Co come calling, years later. I mean, technically, 'Prometheus' already has a sequel.

To be honest, I read most of the 80s sequel baits listed here as simply the fact that the movies were based on TV or book/comic series that were either still running or that never had endings to begin with. So I never expected a second movie. My interpretation of it was, "And now, kids, you get to envision what other adventures might befall these characters." Which I did: RPG [broom "sword" battles in the backyard, woo-hoo!], fan-fiction, fan-comics, fan-art, etc. I made my own sequels, basically.

Ah, the joys of childhood, free of the knowledge that movies are simply commodities waiting for massive returns on investment.

Post #: 54
In Gunnison County, Everyone Can Hear You Snore - 10/6/2012 11:38:53 PM   
Litshttam

Whatever your take on 'AvP' is (mine's it's an underrated subscription to the theory of interventionary evolution), it has an excellent set-up-for-a-sequel coda: 'Alien' on-board a yautja spacecraft (the premise was condensed into the following film's opening, yes, but is poorly-lit & executed, so doesn't count). Tasty. Shame we ended up with 'AvP: R', instead...

< Message edited by Litshttam -- 10/6/2012 11:52:50 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: In Gunnison County, Everyone Can Hear You Snore - 10/6/2012 11:47:18 PM  1 votes
Le Tenia

How about Ralph Bakshi's animated Lord Of The Rings?

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to Litshttam)
Post #: 56
Incredibles?? - 11/6/2012 10:27:18 AM  1 votes
Elliot97

What about the incredibles! you know the bit with stupid little mole! That should have been there!

Post #: 57
Buckaroo Banzai Against The World Crime League - 11/6/2012 7:13:41 PM   
tangoty

Cant believe you missed this one out! What a missed opportunity that one.. Peter Weller has never been better and I include Robocop in tha statement too!

Post #: 58
RE: Buckaroo Banzai Against The World Crime League - 14/6/2012 3:51:29 AM   
Evil_Bob

quote:

What about the incredibles! you know the bit with stupid little mole! That should have been there!

Yeah that wasn't sequel baiting. That was just thrown in to show that they're going to keep fighting crime as a family. I guarantee that he won't be the villain even if they ever do a sequel.

(in reply to tangoty)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Super Mario Bros. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI