Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ill Manors - 6/6/2012 3:30:50 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Im biased - 6/6/2012 3:30:51 PM   
Teamwak

becauase I worked on it. But I think its great!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
you're gonna get merked, innit!! SPOILERS!!!! - 7/6/2012 10:07:56 AM   
filmsunlimited

This is a very powerful and dark film about the more socially deprived parts of London. (although it never actually references a specific part of the Capital, it is clearly East End somewhere between the Dome and Stratford, north of the river.) As the reviewer alludes to, the stabbing and shooting revenge midway through the film feels like a climax but then theres a whole new story about a prostitute's abandoned baby to deal with. Just when you think you've seen one horror, worse ones await - by the time the baby is being traded for £4k and a gun is saved in preference to a baby out of a burning pub you can't help but shake your head in disbelief. The characters are somewhat underdeveloped, there are flashbacks to deprived or sexually abusive childhoods which don't give any detail, although your imagination happily does the rest. Not to say that this is a cheerless film. Some of the one liners and injections of humour are genius (think naked man running through London) and sit just minutes either side of what feels like Kidulthood written by the Eastenders team. Some of the songs and raps depicting the life circumstances of the characters are great as well, even if they border on stereotyping gang culture as a whole. There is more darkness here - a minor smoking crack and getting shot too (which is crucial to one of the stories.) The moral of the story seems to be that the only way out of the drugs and general social bankruptcy of the estate is, well, to literally leave it. Powerful stuff. Definitely a 4 although the plot is a little too wild and organic for a 5.

Post #: 3
Worth the watch... - 7/6/2012 9:37:48 PM   
diishy

I agree with Smith's review. The film, although very well made, isn't quite there yet. I'll talk about the positives first though. Firstly the acting; it's got a very well put together cast with great chemistry between them all. I can definitely see certain actors making some progress in the industry. In terms of cinematography, it's very well made and a great directorial debut by Ben Drew (also known as Plan B). He's nailed the characters and has given them brilliant personalities which allows us to develop emotions/feelings for each character. The general plot is also quite well written. However that's about it. Although each character is very well written, they never seem to develop. Especially after about half of the film has passed. You expect the story to move forward with the current characters but a couple more are introduced with none of them having much of a development which was a bit of a let down. In some sense you can compare this film to the likes of Pulp Fiction (1994) or Sin City (2005) because it has this element about telling stories about several different people and then attempting to intertwine them. However, the Drew seems to be trying to say too much to a single audience with a wide range of characters which could be a reason as to why the characters were never able to develop throughout the story. Ill Manors does do something that the likes of Kidulthood/Adulthood/Skank could not. It tries to explain why people join gangs and in some sense it does this quite well.

All in all, Ill Manors was mediocre. It seemed to try to be more than it was and more than it should have been. You can see what Drew has tried but you can't help but feel that he's not made the best job of it. He'll most likely be making another film so definitely keep an eye on him since he does seem to have some potential. Riz Ahmed was outstanding! The film is definitely watch-able however do not go in thinking you're about to watch Kidulhood or Adulthood. It's extremely da

Post #: 4
POWERFUL - 16/7/2012 7:30:32 PM   
aamoran10

In my mind this is the most important British film of the last twenty years.

Post #: 5
Terrible! - 22/5/2013 1:09:46 PM   
guysalisbury

I have never been so bored in my life. It tried so hard to dark and gritty and in my opinion got it all wrong! The acting was shocking and the whole film just felt totally pointless. I love a bit of gritty violence but it needs to have some kind of context. It just felt like violence for the sake of violence. If you want some proper gritty english drama watch London to Brighton, Harry Brown and Fish Tank. At least they strive to actually have a plot!

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Ill Manors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI