Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 3:38:04 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Aren't refs miked up these days anyway? If that is the case then this should be cleared one way or another pretty sharpish.

If he's found guilty he should definitely be (further) ostracised and kicked out of his profession (in much the same way footballers, who are supposedly role models, should be kicked out of the game for the same offence). If he's found innocent then then he should sue the fuck out of the Chelsea players for slandering/libelling him.

Like SHP I'm having a hard time being anything but totally cynical about this. Maybe it's Chelsea's previous for hounding referee's out of the game, I dunno, but I just don't think Clattenburg would be that stupid personally.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 211
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 3:44:17 PM   
jonson

I can't believe it for one minute, I hope I'm right. After all the events surrounding football in the last few months, to call a black player a monkey would be ridiculous.
If however he called a black player a "cheeky monkey" then the players who complained should be slapped for turning a serious issue into something even those of us who deplore racism are starting to get bored with.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 212
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 3:56:48 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Aren't refs miked up these days anyway? If that is the case then this should be cleared one way or another pretty sharpish.

The linesmen and the fourth official can hear everything he says but it's not recorded apparently. 'Course, they could always claim he didn't say anything even if he did, but given everything that's happened this year I can't imagine they'd be that daft.

Post #: 213
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 10:35:58 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

No love for Hazard? He's been pretty impressive and along with Mata one of the reasons Chelsea have started so well imo.

When he's hot, he's hot. But a couple of times the match seemed to pass him by. Maybe that's just my perception from highlights. Mata is metronomically awesome.

I don't begrudge Chelsea their spending and I hope Hazard continues to impress, Torres keeps knocking them in and Oscar does his impression of The Flash.

Admittedly I only saw the highlights of yesterday's game, but it exposed a weakness in Hazard's game, a lack of want to get back and help out defensively. Cole was left exposed to both Silva and Valencia running at him and overlapping. The lad is young and a talent going forwards, but he can improve imo.

Mata meanwhile is one of the top 5 players in Europe right now imo (with Ronaldo, Messi, Falcao and Xavi). If Chelsea do put Falcao on the same team as him I think that is a very exciting possibility.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 214
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 8:55:14 AM   
Professor Moriarty

"Clattergate" takes another sorry turn as allegations that there was a spat in the referee's changing room following the game and "I'm gonna fucking break your legs" was one of the exchanges on the Chelsea end.

Saw some piece on Sky News last night where they had a lip reader looking at an exchange between the ref and Obi Mikel. His conclusion was nothing bad was said (but he didn't tell us what was said). Then in an astounding piece of journalism, Sky told us that it probably wasn't this exchange at all

Post #: 215
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 10:05:54 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Im hearing (most likely false) that the phrase Clattenburg said to Mikel was "Cheeky Monkey".
Really

Post #: 216
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 10:21:07 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I think most of us would not consider that term racist. Very condescending (I'd most often use it to my nephews of 3-6 years old), but maybe the context was to condescend the player.

However, I can see that if you are from a different culture and English isn't your first language how it could be taken the wrong way. Particularly in the hurly burly of a football match with a lot of noise around you.

Still I'd hope that could be sorted out with an explanation to the player in question (including from his own team mates) and a word to the official to be careful about his choice of words when speaking to players. Otherwise, I think you do run the risk of a lot of people saying "that's not a racist term, this is PC gone mad, and a serious issue is lost".

Does anyone remember the summer any more? All that talk about weren't the Olympics wonderful and isn't it a shame that football can't be played in the same spirit. I didn't really take to those discussions the Olympics is very different to the over-reported magnifying glass that every single move and comment a player / manager / official makes these days. I'd not want racism swept under the carpet, but I find it sad that we keep coming back to these off the ball incidents.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 217
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 10:38:45 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

If I had a Button that was capable of turning English Football off (or most likely the PL) I would have pressed that Button long ago.

Ok it sounds melodramatic but is Football really the "Beautiful Game"? .

When we have had a great summer with the Olympics,Andy Murray and with the huge positive vibe running through the country most of us were expecting the same vibe to run into the new PL and Football League season but it just doesn't seem the case.

I do find football depressing nowadays.From the business/money aspect,to the media,from the hyperbole passionate reactions of fans.Its a mess.

Post #: 218
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 10:51:36 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Don't get too depressed. Between all the BS I think some really exciting football matches have broken out this season If we could just turn off the media in between the games it would help.

Post #: 219
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 11:07:49 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

If I had a Button that was capable of turning English Football off (or most likely the PL) I would have pressed that Button long ago.

When we have had a great summer with the Olympics,Andy Murray and with the huge positive vibe running through the country most of us were expecting the same vibe to run into the new PL and Football League season but it just doesn't seem the case.

I do find football depressing nowadays.From the business/money aspect,to the media,from the hyperbole passionate reactions of fans.Its a mess.

Totally agree.

The last World Cup was my tipping point, all the cynical fouls and the rampant diving (and that was just Spain ) just turned me off the game completely. Since then I've been watching football mainly out of habit and as a talking point rather than out of enjoyment for the game. It's more than a bit depressing but I can't even get fully behind my team while we have Nani and Young making embarassments of themselves from week to week (also Rooney likes the odd dive and Valencia seems to be falling over a lot more in recent times).

That's before we get into the whole racism issue, it's a pathetic state of affairs.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 30/10/2012 11:08:59 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 220
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 11:22:19 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Totally agree.

The last World Cup was my tipping point, all the cynical fouls and the rampant diving (and that was just Spain ) just turned me off the game completely. Since then I've been watching football mainly out of habit and as a talking point rather than out of enjoyment for the game. It's more than a bit depressing but I can't even get fully behind my team while we have Nani and Young making embarassments of themselves from week to week (also Rooney likes the odd dive and Valencia seems to be falling over a lot more in recent times).

That's before we get into the whole racism issue, it's a pathetic state of affairs.

Thats another good point and one I think is perplexing alot of fans.
I mean How can you support players you ,possibly, have the same loathing to.Odd.

quote:

Don't get too depressed. Between all the BS I think some really exciting football matches have broken out this season If we could just turn off the media in between the games it would help.

I tend to watch football game now with no commentary/sound off.
Some of the rubbish commentators come out with is just nothing more the hyperbole,positive or negative.
You get the feeling these people take football far,far to seriously but then it ricochets onto the fans and it just builds and builds up.
Whens the boiling point?

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 30/10/2012 11:23:00 AM >

Post #: 221
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 11:50:38 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I get your points. For example, my first thought as I was listening to the Chelsea vs Utd game when Young went down was "dive". Just because I've seen the player do it so many times. I don't think I have as bigger problem as some with diving. For example, I think its a perfectly legitimate tactic to take the ball into the area and invite a challenge and go down. I think games are better with goals scored. But it is interesting how my instinct to Young was diver.

In good news. Apparently Phil Neville got a rollicking from Moyes for his dive (though I suspect at least as much for the fact that it meant the player had to be careful on a stupid yellow for the rest of the game, as for actually diving).

quote:

You get the feeling these people take football far,far to seriously but then it ricochets onto the fans and it just builds and builds up.
Whens the boiling point?

There was someone on this forum arguing recently that Rodgers should go. To me that's the most ridiculous statement I've heard in years. He's bringing a new style to Liverpool's play, he's blooding new players and he needs time. But I think the media has kind of set in motion this baying for blood almost before a manager has joined a team. And I think in Liverpool's case it can be argued to be worse as a number of pundits are former Liverpool players who seemed unable to recognise the club's fall from grace and have chirped about them being a top 4 team when its clear they have really fallen off the pace. Right now I don't think the table lies and the team is below Fulham, WBA and Newcastle. But we also know that Liverpool has the name and brand that should mean that with time their fortunes can be turned around. It just needs the right manager and time. We still have to wait to see if Rodgers is the right manager, but the pointers are in the right direction.

I'm also sure I heard a report somewhere that some fans were booing Chelsea at half time in their game!

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 30/10/2012 12:49:10 PM >

Post #: 222
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 1:09:18 PM   
superdan

quote:

I get your points. For example, my first thought as I was listening to the Chelsea vs Utd game when Young went down was "dive". Just because I've seen the player do it so many times. I don't think I have as bigger problem as some with diving. For example, I think its a perfectly legitimate tactic to take the ball into the area and invite a challenge and go down. I think games are better with goals scored. But it is interesting how my instinct to Young was diver.

I'm probably just old-school, but I disagree quite strongly about that sort of thing. It actually angers me a bit when a player dives then acts as though he's been offended if a free kick or penalty isn't given. I'm angered by the play-acting and rolling about, I'm embarrassed for them really. I'm angered by the commentators and pundits falling over themselves to excuse diving with paper-thin defences such as "Oh, there was a bit of contact". As though if someone put their hand on a footballers shoulder in Waitrose he would be forgiven for falling to the ground like one of those goats that collapse when startled. It's something that used to be roundly mocked and is now legitimised, and it's just another symptom of a game that is starting to rot from the inside-out.

quote:

There was someone on this forum arguing recently that Rodgers should go. To me that's the most ridiculous statement I've heard in years. He's bringing a new style to Liverpool's play, he's blooding new players and he needs time. But I think the media has kind of set in motion this baying for blood almost before a manager has joined a team.

I'm also sure I heard a report somewhere that some fans were booing Chelsea at half time in their game!

Some fans really need to take a look at themselves. Some Wolves fans were booing at the final whistle on Saturday, as though drawing is such a disgraceful result. I guess they've already forgotten the horrors of last season when we couldn't even buy a goal, never mind a point

Post #: 223
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 1:19:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

I'm probably just old-school, but I disagree quite strongly about that sort of thing. It actually angers me a bit when a player dives then acts as though he's been offended if a free kick or penalty isn't given. I'm angered by the play-acting and rolling about, I'm embarrassed for them really. I'm angered by the commentators and pundits falling over themselves to excuse diving with paper-thin defences such as "Oh, there was a bit of contact". As though if someone put their hand on a footballers shoulder in Waitrose he would be forgiven for falling to the ground like one of those goats that collapse when startled. It's something that used to be roundly mocked and is now legitimised, and it's just another symptom of a game that is starting to rot from the inside-out.

I re-read what I wrote. What I actually meant was to draw the challenge and go down under contact. I think this will still anger you more than me, as I'm not too upset to see a player go to ground to win the penalty when he could have stayed on his feet to have a shot at goal or even to seek out contact with a trailing leg. I see winning a free kick in a dangerous area (or a pen) as a legitimate tactic in football now and it doesn't anger me. But I totally agree with the theatrics and rolling around. I'd also go as far as to book any player who waved an imaginary card or asks for another player to be booked.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 224
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 1:24:42 PM   
superdan

I think the thing that truly depresses me is that kids are doing it now, all the time. I've seen it, they throw themselves to the ground theatrically even if there's been virtually no contact and roll about until the whistle is blown. It's awful to watch, because it shows that diving is here to stay, forever

Post #: 225
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 1:31:01 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Well I'd say that's easy, don't give the foul. But have you seen the mentalness of some parents when little Jimmy has gone to the ground?! It defies belief.

On the other hand. Having spent years watching young kids hoof the ball up the park and have a few of them chase after it, it was nice to see after Ronaldo broke through the other year there were more of them trying to emulate him by taking a player on and running with it.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 226
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 1:35:30 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

I think the thing that truly depresses me is that kids are doing it now, all the time. I've seen it, they throw themselves to the ground theatrically even if there's been virtually no contact and roll about until the whistle is blown. It's awful to watch, because it shows that diving is here to stay, forever

Yeah, this pretty much. It's completely depressing.

My son hasn't really shown any interest in football yet (no surprise really, he's not even 4 yet) and I'm not going to be pushing him towards it either. If he shows an interest I'll obviously go for a kickabout with him and I'd encourage him as much as possible. I do dread the possibility of him playing for a junior team and diving around like Young/Suarez/Torres/Gerrard/Bale/Nani in full Scuba gear though.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 227
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 1:38:25 PM   
superdan

quote:

Well I'd say that's easy, don't give the foul. But have you seen the mentalness of some parents when little Jimmy has gone to the ground?! It defies belief.

Yeah, that's horrid. The worst kind of mouthy parent, like that character in Parenthood always giving Steve Martin grief

quote:

On the other hand. Having spent years watching young kids hoof the ball up the park and have a few of them chase after it, it was nice to see after Ronaldo broke through the other year there were more of them trying to emulate him by taking a player on and running with it.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

That was never my experience funnily enough. Most kids seemed to naturally want to be ball-hogs, head down trying to dribble their way through the entire opposition team. It was always the prehistoric coaches who tried to 'improve' their game by encouraging them to 'play it up to the big lad', which no doubt still goes on to this day

Post #: 228
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 1:49:18 PM   
jonson

I think it was on MOTD2 on Sunday ngiht when one of the commentators said "he had every right to go down" talking I think about Torres. So if they don't touch you and you dive, it's cheating, but if they touch you (but not enough to make you fall over) you make a meal of it and go down, it's not? Can never get my head round that one.

The problem is, at the moment, the Premiership is all about "diving and racism". Any slight dive is getting everyone on their high horses, any slight comment is being taken out of context (obviously not the high profile ones) which in effect is transfering onto the terraces.
I've watched live football now for 30 years and I don't think I can remember the fans being quite so angry all the time. The hatred in their faces, the screaming and swearing, the self-righteous bullshit, the blinkered opinions, yeah, you're right, the Olympics seems like years away from this mess right now.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 229
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 1:58:01 PM   
Harry Tuttle

One concession I would make with the whole diving thing is that the fact players only tend to get free kicks if they fall over has contributed as much as anything else to the culture. If somebody physically assaults you (lol hyperbole) but you don't fall then 9 times out of 10 the foul won't be given. It's all a bit stupid really.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 230
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/10/2012 5:49:02 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Back to Clattenburg. This report alleges "monkey" and "Spanish twat", the latter apparently not heard by Mata. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/30/mark-clattenburg-set-deny-allegations

Oh and a society of black lawyers have made a complaint to the Met.

EDIT: So the beeb has a quote from the lawyer who reported it below. Is it just me, or does this smack of someone who is desperate to make a name for himself. He didn't hear anything, he didn't see anything, he just read about it in the media and then felt compelled to report it

FOOTBALL
Peter Herbert from the Society of Black Lawyers tells BBC Radio 5 live why he reported the Mark Clattenburg case to the Metropolitan police:

"I'm not really a football fan so I didn't see the game. I saw the rolling news and it became clear there had been an incident. We waited until the next day and it was widely reported in the media who gave details. I consulted with my colleagues in the organisation and we decided to formally report the matter to the Metropolitan Police.

"The purpose of that was to make sure it had been recorded as a racial incident. That doesn't prejudge it but it has the appearance of a racial incident and anyone can report it as such."

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 31/10/2012 11:32:02 AM >

Post #: 231
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/10/2012 6:09:04 PM   
horribleives

Call me old fashioned but if he doesn't follow football and neither saw nor knows anything about the incident perhaps he should mind his own fucking business?
As for this 'monkey' claim, we'll wait and see but I don't buy any of it for a second.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 232
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/10/2012 7:10:47 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

Totally agree.

Watching football these days is like swimming in a sewer. I've had the occasional MOTD on in the background and paid attention to the odd game here and there, but on the whole I can't summon any interest in it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 233
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 1/11/2012 12:05:04 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 234
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 1/11/2012 5:15:35 PM   
Rinc

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 235
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 1/11/2012 5:25:50 PM   
directorscut

quote:

It looks like the guy in the middle has a head growing out of his chest.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 236
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 3/11/2012 7:59:06 PM   
Professor Moriarty

So, Utd doing what they do best. Getting the win in and putting the pressure on their rivals who struggled to rise to the challenge today.

Tough set of CL games in midweek. Arsenal take their poor form to Schalke who are no mugs and City need to spank Ajax to hope that miracle might happen. Braga could cause problems for Utd (but not really a worry other than finding European form) and though I suspect Shakhtar wont travel well they might give a few problems to Chelsea.

Got to expect that some pressure will start to come on MON. Is it just 1 win since March? Home tie against Villa should have been points in the bag. And it must be moribund stuff watching them score no goals, game after game.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 237
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 4/11/2012 11:09:21 AM   
Skiba

How good is Fellaini right now? Absolutely dominated Fulham yesterday and could've had 4 or 5 goals himself and Everton should've definitely been out of sight.

Have a good time, all the time.

Post #: 238
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 4/11/2012 2:23:42 PM   
Professor Moriarty

From the highlights he seemed to really be on fire yesterday, playing in a very dangerous area just drifting around in front of the Fulham back 4. He has technique, strength and size. I've suggested a couple of times that he might not put in 100% some games, but when he does play well he looks great.

Moyes pretty upset they didn't get the 3 points. He seems to have CL ambitions this season and he knows he needs those points. There is every chance that Spurs will strengthen in January. And we've seen Wenger get Arsenal back on track before. So he'll be looking to try to stay ahead of that pack.

QPR losing 1-0 at home at half time. The owners have talked about being behind Hughes, but I can't believe a trigger finger isn't itching somewhere.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 239
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 5/11/2012 1:34:14 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Its not entirely impossible that WBA could go to 4th this evening. Granted, they will need to win by 4 goals to do so. But they are at home against Southampton. And any kind of win would leave them level on points with Spurs and Everton. Any kind of loss will see Southampton stuck to the bottom of the table.

I kind of like the way the league is sorting itself out. The top 3 seem in a table of their own, but none of them could be said to be playing particularly great football in the last couple of games.

The chasing pack has a couple of teams who would plan to be there and some overachievers (including Big Sam who I'd imagine is giving everyone the finger right now). Then we have a rack of clubs that are of lower quality or are underachieving.

Personally I think other than the bottom spot, all over 19 positions are up for grabs (and Southampton will probably prove me wrong on that with a Ricky Lambert hattrick tonight).

Most interesting clubs for me right now are:
- Spurs because I still think that AVBs lack of man management skills will cost the club heavily.
- Swansea as I think Laudrup had a few problems there, but they are on a good run now, which will give more confidence in the manager and I think they have more final third zing than they did under Rodgers
- Villa as I thought Lambert was a better up and coming coach than Rodgers and I'd like to see him turn this around

Of course, Villa and Swansea are also still both present in the Capital One Cup. I expect Chelsea will win this, but I'd personally like it if Villa came through as Randy Lerner's interest seemed to die when they failed to win this before.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 5/11/2012 1:36:02 PM >

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI