Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 1/10/2012 12:12:31 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

When Fergie moans about added time, you know he is covering up the fact that his team were useless yesterday. Only the fact that Spurs didn't put someone on Scholes made the game a bit edgy. Spurs fully deserved the win, congrats AVB.

Did you just watch the first half?

I'd say Spurs just about deserved the result but Utd could easily have gotten something out of the game, we pummelled them for 40 minutes of the 2nd half.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 181
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 1/10/2012 5:32:37 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

When Fergie moans about added time, you know he is covering up the fact that his team were useless yesterday. Only the fact that Spurs didn't put someone on Scholes made the game a bit edgy. Spurs fully deserved the win, congrats AVB.

Did you just watch the first half?

I'd say Spurs just about deserved the result but Utd could easily have gotten something out of the game, we pummelled them for 40 minutes of the 2nd half.

I saw the whole match, and I actually put a bet on Utd to win when the score went to 2-3, but it didn't happen, Spurs were resilient and had they put someone on Scholes it would have been more comfortable for them.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 182
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 6/10/2012 4:41:26 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Looking forward to Carroll vs Mertesacker. That has old skool written all over it.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 183
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 6/10/2012 4:47:23 PM   
directorscut

I'm placing a significant chunk of my fantasy football hope on Arsenal trashing West Ham. Big Sam and his "game plan" can feck off.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 184
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 6/10/2012 4:50:56 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I'm placing a significant chunk of my fantasy football hope on Arsenal trashing West Ham. Big Sam and his "game plan" can feck off.

I like your intentions, but there's more than just hot air around the idea that the Arse don't like physical games. 10 points behind Chelsea, this is the kind of game Arsenal need to control and win if they are serious about having a crack at the title.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 185
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 6/10/2012 5:01:15 PM   
Olaf

Please don't get relegated Swansea :(

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 186
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 6/10/2012 5:06:29 PM   
directorscut

Top 3 Passers in PL:

1. Arteta 93%
2. Allen 92%
3. Cazorla 92%

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 187
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 7/10/2012 6:36:52 AM   
Saltire

Cazorla is a great player, there is nothing he can't do on a football pitch. It shows you how good Spain are when he struggles to get in their team.

Post #: 188
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/10/2012 4:27:44 PM   
Professor Moriarty

International breaks are boring aren't they.

Here are some quick observations from the small amount of football I've seen so far this season.

1. One of the joys of football is watching an astute tactical mind make a change. Sometimes these are substitutions, but for the last two seasons it seems that Utd have had to do this after a particularly telling result.

Last season it was the heavy defeat to City that caused Ferguson to deploy a tighter formation and style. You can say this either kept them in the title chase or ultimately cost them the title by goal difference, but he saw a problem and implemented a solution.

The vast majority of fans who feel that more signings were needed for Utd in midfield won't be surprised to see this is the problem area again. This time their first loss to Spurs at home since Lineker was in short trousers has led to Rooney dropping back into midfield. Its an interesting move and one that he looked well prepared for a few seasons ago. IMO his ability as a footballer has not progressed as much as it could have done in the last two seasons. So it will be interesting to see if this rejuvenates Rooney and what effect a returning Young or Fletcher will have on the diamond.

2. A couple of years ago I wrote a post on here that no-one cared about WBA as they were a yo-yo team. I felt pretty bad once I'd written it, but it was there. So I kind of feel that the kicking I might get from karma I deserve. Still a long way to go in the season, but Steve Clarke seems to be building on last season. Be interesting to see how Dan Ashworth's move in the summer to the FA will change things.

3. Mancini's critics can still point at his CL record and tut. While he still has a comparatively rich squad you can see why he was tearing his hair out in the summer as Chelsea invested heavily. Its a difficult group again, but a failure two seasons in a row to qualify from the group would be a big hit for a team with big plans.

4. Ravel Morrison (remember him former best talent from the Utd youth since Scholes, off-loaded to West Ham because he has no attitude for the game) is still an idiot. Obviously Sam didn't get on with him so well as he pushed him out to Birmingham who are apparently sick of him already. Maybe someone[/link] should make him watch this Ian Wright interview (http://www.thefootballramble.com/latest/entry/ian-wright-documentary).

5. I'm pretty bored of handshakes, diving, JT, Ashley Cole and Twitter

6. Why don't teams just ask Atletico (Torres, a goal-scoring Forlan, Aguero, Falcao) which striker they would buy if they wanted one

7. If Mark Hughes is still in a job at Christmas I'll... I'll... I'll be quite surprised

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 11/10/2012 4:29:38 PM >

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 189
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/10/2012 4:46:36 PM   
directorscut

8. Jack Rodwell 12 million. Hohoho. Hahaha. Moyes still laughing all the way to the bank.

Post #: 190
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/10/2012 4:58:49 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

8. Jack Rodwell 12 million. Hohoho. Hahaha. Moyes still laughing all the way to the bank.

Bargain! Shame Arsenal didn't go in earlier to get him.

Same could be said for Jones and Smalling really.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 191
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/10/2012 5:04:50 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I'd not say Rodwell is a terrible player, but even with a levy for being English, I only think they got that by somehow getting some papers to make out he was a 20M prospect in the last season or two when Ferguson seemed to have no interest in him at all to back that up.

Best buys so far (?):
- Cazorla (Arsenal)
- Dembele (Spurs)
- RvP (Utd)
- Michu (Swansea)
- Berbatov (Fulham)

Worst (?)
- Rob Green - I'll single this out but there's a few QPR players you could do this list on alone!
- Scott Sinclair -just seems pointless
- Kuyt - he wasn't getting any younger, but he never had that much pace and he'd have run his lungs out for Liverpool. Turkey might be a step down, but he's been banging them in for Fenerbahce and would have offered Liverpool more on the pitch than the tiny fee they gave him away for imo
- Marin - its like by being Chelsea's first signing in the summer they completely forgot about him by the time the season had started
- Jay Rodriguez - Amazing that the same team that got Gaston Ramirez to join them then did this. With a few lower division players to Villa as well it was a good time for the Championship teams to make a bit of money at the expense of PL squad-filling

Post #: 192
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/10/2012 5:15:15 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

• Mancini's critics can still point at his CL record and tut. While he still has a comparatively rich squad you can see why he was tearing his hair out in the summer as Chelsea invested heavily. Its a difficult group again, but a failure two seasons in a row to qualify from the group would be a big hit for a team with big plans.

I've been heavily critical of Mancini over the years he's been at City but I had to shut up coz he won the league even though he scraped it against a bunch of teams in transition. I'll gladly pipe up again if he can't make it through the group stage though

• If Mark Hughes is still in a job at Christmas I'll... I'll... I'll be quite surprised

Suprised he got the QPR job in the first place - the guy is a second rate manager.

• (in reply to Professor Moriarty)
    Post #: 193
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/10/2012 6:13:45 PM   
    directorscut

9. Joe "Best Goalkeeper in the World" Hart third worst saves-to-shot percentage for first choice goalkeepers in the league. Only Reina and Ruddy are worse. Significantly behind fellow Englishman Ben Foster.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
    Post #: 194
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/10/2012 6:31:12 PM   
    Olaf

Pretty much agree with Prof's choice of top signings, though a few honourable mentions -

Kevin Mirallas (Everton)
    Romelu Lukaku (WBA)
    Joe Allen (Liverpool)
    Jan Vertonghen (Spuds)
    Arouna Kone (Wigan)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Post #: 195
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/10/2012 6:48:32 PM   
    Professor Moriarty

I was going to protest that Kone was on the list I must have deleted him.

Good call on Vertonghen. Looking forward to seeing more of him. Spurs could become a marauding team of 3-2 games if we are lucky. They seem to very much fancy Caulken too. I'm surprised (and a bit sad) that if they are going to play that way that dos Santos was shipped out.

(in reply to Olaf)
    Post #: 196
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/10/2012 6:54:48 PM   
    superdan

No love for Hazard? He's been pretty impressive and along with Mata one of the reasons Chelsea have started so well imo.

Post #: 197
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/10/2012 7:01:24 PM   
    Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

No love for Hazard? He's been pretty impressive and along with Mata one of the reasons Chelsea have started so well imo.

When he's hot, he's hot. But a couple of times the match seemed to pass him by. Maybe that's just my perception from highlights. Mata is metronomically awesome.

I don't begrudge Chelsea their spending and I hope Hazard continues to impress, Torres keeps knocking them in and Oscar does his impression of The Flash.

(in reply to superdan)
    Post #: 198
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 24/10/2012 12:31:41 PM   
    Goodfella

A black players union is neither a good or bad idea. The bad idea is picking someone like Rio Ferdinand to run it.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 199
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 24/10/2012 1:09:05 PM   
    Professor Moriarty

Its a terrible backwards step of an idea fella. Would a player have to be black to join, or could Asians join. What if you were from Eastern Europe or France or South America or Wales and thought you were suffering prejudice. If a black footballer chooses not to join that union will that count against him in the eyes of some? Its inherently divisive in its concept. I could only condone it if the current union and everything around them is failing miserably.

And I'm not so sure it is. But I'm not a footballer or black so I'd be disqualified from joining on two counts. The FA come in for a lot of stick, but they did publish thorough findings on both the Suarez / Evra and JT / Ferdinand cases. I'm pretty sure in both cases they appointed an independent body who were not slow to criticize the FA where they thought they were wrong.

I can't help thinking that a lot of people wanted JT banned from the PL or sacked. I honestly don't know if that was right or wrong. On the one hand it appears to be a big punishment (though I can see an overseas team picking him up no problem). On the other I get the idea that maybe a high profile head has to fall to make it clear that whether you are a highly decorated England captain or just setting out on your career racist language and behaviour is unacceptable. I do wish JT had apologised properly and I really wish we could get on with playing football and not spend half the match talking about handshakes, warm up T-shirts and armbands.

(in reply to Goodfella)
    Post #: 200
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 24/10/2012 1:38:52 PM   
    Olaf

It does raise the question of what the implications would be - a white footballers union? which union does a mixed-race player join? Attempting to achieve equality by creating division is just an oxymoron surely.

quote:

I do wish JT had apologised properly and I really wish we could get on with playing football and not spend half the match talking about handshakes, warm up T-shirts and armbands.

This basically, I almost can't remember a time where racism wasn't the main discussion topic in football. Kind of depressing that it's still an issue in a developed society in the 21st century though.

Post #: 201
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 28/10/2012 1:52:19 PM   
    Nexus Wookie

Oh dear, looks like Everton will roll over again. There hasn't been a better time for them to beat Liverpool, will they squander it?

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Olaf)
    Post #: 202
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 28/10/2012 8:10:47 PM   
    Professor Moriarty

Only got to listen to the Chelsea Utd match on the radio. So really looking forward to MotD2 tonight.

Sounded very much like Mata was ripping Utd apart and I'm not sure he was the sacrifice to make when down to 10. Still the result keeps the PL interesting. I wouldn't want to be Swansea. I think they'll bounce back to put 5 past the swans next week.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
    Post #: 203
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 9:45:47 AM   
    Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

I do wish JT had apologised properly and I really wish we could get on with playing football and not spend half the match talking about handshakes, warm up T-shirts and armbands.

This basically, I almost can't remember a time where racism wasn't the main discussion topic in football. Kind of depressing that it's still an issue in a developed society in the 21st century though.

Chelsea allege Clattenburg made racial comments (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20119340) :-(

(in reply to Olaf)
    Post #: 204
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 1:52:44 PM   
    Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Chelsea allege Clattenburg made racial comments (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20119340) :-(

FFFFUUUUUU

on the plus side, Clattenburg probably won't referee another game until this is resolved. And *if* he is found guilty, then his unique interpretation of competence will never 'grace' a football pitch again. So it's a win-win really.

(apologies if this seems to be frivolous in the face of serious accusations. I'm just really really tired of racism accusations/handshakes/t-shirts/armbands/Twitter/etc.)

Post #: 205
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 2:24:28 PM   
    Sexual Harassment Panda

Call me cynical but I don't see there being any substance to Chelsea's claims, or it's extremely exaggerated version of events.

I get the idea it's a nice way to have an additional pop at Clattenburg for his admittedly controversial decisions, a way to detract from the fans behaviour at the game (throwing missiles) and also a way to change their current status in the race rows from antagonists to victims.

I could be wrong, but I suppose we'll see what the findings of the FA end up being.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
    Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Olaf)
    Post #: 206
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 3:05:19 PM   
    Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

Call me cynical but I don't see there being any substance to Chelsea's claims, or it's extremely exaggerated version of events.

I get the idea it's a nice way to have an additional pop at Clattenburg for his admittedly controversial decisions, a way to detract from the fans behaviour at the game (throwing missiles) and also a way to change their current status in the race rows from antagonists to victims.

I could be wrong, but I suppose we'll see what the findings of the FA end up being.

"Admittedly controversial"? That is putting it very, very, very lightly. They were two awful decisions and with at least two pairs of eyes on each I'd love to know how they got them wrong.

I doubt the FA will find Clattenburg guilty of anything. That's usually how it works.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
    Post #: 207
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 3:17:45 PM   
    directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

Yeah yeah. Calling a black player a "monkey" (alleged) is okay. Nothing serious about it at all. Chelsea should just shut up about it.

Post #: 208
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 3:25:28 PM   
    Sexual Harassment Panda

As you say "alleged."

Where's the evidence if any that he used such a term? Or is this the usual Twitter and Facebook rumour mill? I can't see that being true, and this is the first I've heard of this alleged slur also.

Context is also king even if the word monkey was used, perhaps he was calling him a cheeky monkey?

As I said, I'm happy to see what the verdict of the investigation into it is before passing final judgement, but I can't see it finding him guilty of any racial wrong doing.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 29/10/2012 3:27:24 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
    Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 209
    RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 29/10/2012 3:28:48 PM   
    superdan

Clattenburg should be banned from refereeing forever anyway purely by being a completely useless fucknuckle.

Post #: 210
    Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
    Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI