Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 11:13:52 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Stranger things have happened...,Ok maybe not.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 631
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 2:11:35 PM   
borstal

City without Kompany and an out of form Toure are a very different side though and the weekends result while a bit surprising isnt as crazy as it seems. Southampton played well against United and Everton in their last two matches.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 632
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 2:16:36 PM   
Olaf

Would United fans agree this isn't the best team they've seen under Ferguson? (with the exception of RVP, Rafael, de Gea, Vidic and Rooney at the moment). How are they winning the league so comfortably?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 633
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 2:26:30 PM   
Professor Moriarty

There might be a whole squad of players involved, but IMO it is Ferguson who has won it.

Before the season began he bought RvP. While the world and his wife were bemoaning the lack of real quality in midfield, Ferguson decided that because goal difference had snatched the title away from them in the previous season to spend big on a player who we all knew was quality, but had struggled to be fit.

Then I think you can see a turning point in the 3rd game against Southampton. 2-1 down with 5 minutes to play away from home (and already having lost the first game of the season), RvP gets 2, with a winner in stoppage time for his hat-trick.

Again and again the team has been behind, but has fought back to get the points. IMO there is definite quality on the pitch, but the big difference is the manager. And of course we have seen City struggle with the expectation of success and Chelsea have been poor.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 634
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 2:27:26 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Would United fans agree this isn't the best team they've seen under Ferguson? (with the exception of RVP, Rafael, de Gea, Vidic and Rooney at the moment). How are they winning the league so comfortably?

Sheer fucking determination. Especially after what happened last season. And the game last night demonstrated that. It also helps that City are so shite right now, but the teams sole focus right now isn't what City, Chelsea or Spurs do - but what they do as a collective unit to get the trophy back to Old Trafford.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 635
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 2:33:34 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'd say our midfield is seriously underrated as well. Carrick has been magnificent for us this season (as he was for the latter half of last season) and alongside Van Persie and Rafael has consistently been one of our best players. Also, Cleverley has really pushed on from last season and he's managed to stay fit which has been a massive boon for us. Anderson has been a beast when he's played as well, it's just frustrating that he gets injured every 3 or 4 games he plays and the inevitably comes back from said injury out of shape.

Of course nothing is mentioned about this in the press because it goes against the narrative that our midfield is shit. The same way De Gea's increasingly brilliant performances are glossed over for exactly the same reason (was his save against Ruiz mentioned anywhere last week? Motson even said on MotD that he got nowhere near it despite him clearly tipping it onto the post, fucking muppet).

I would agree it's nowhere near our best midfield but it's also nowhere near as bad as the pundits would have you believe either.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 11/2/2013 2:37:45 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 636
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 7:30:44 PM   
horribleives

Aye, I was gonna say - this dodgy midfield stuff's a load of nonsense. After Van Persie I reckon Carrick and maybe Cleverly have been your two most consistent performers all season. The only area Man U have looked occasionally vulnerable is in defence but if you have a knack of always scoring one more than the opposition does anyone really care? I know I wouldn't.
Speaking of midfielders, according to Mike Ashley Man U were desperate to sign Cabaye in the summer and made several offers, and it was only the player himself saying he wanted to stay at Newcastle for now that stopped him going for 20-odd million. I'm hoping he stays here for at least another season on top of this one (especially now his mates have all followed him) but much as it would pain me to see it he'd be a great signing for Fergie.
The cunt.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 637
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 7:52:28 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Aye, I was gonna say - this dodgy midfield stuff's a load of nonsense. After Van Persie I reckon Carrick and maybe Cleverly have been your two most consistent performers all season. The only area Man U have looked occasionally vulnerable is in defence but if you have a knack of always scoring one more than the opposition does anyone really care? I know I wouldn't.
Speaking of midfielders, according to Mike Ashley Man U were desperate to sign Cabaye in the summer and made several offers, and it was only the player himself saying he wanted to stay at Newcastle for now that stopped him going for 20-odd million. I'm hoping he stays here for at least another season on top of this one (especially now his mates have all followed him) but much as it would pain me to see it he'd be a great signing for Fergie.
The cunt.

I'd actually say that Rafael has been much better/more consistent than Carrick or Cleverley this season. and Vidic has been returning to his top level after being a bit shaky post-injury. other than that I agree that the dodgy midfield thing is exaggerated, but my point was more that this isn't (on paper) one of the truly great United teams like teams they had in 1994, 1999 or 2008. It's not really a criticism since they're obviously walking away with the league, but it feels much more like a Ferguson achievement this season than the players - particularly in terms of the mentality he's instilled into the players.

It's frustrating as an Arsenal fan, because A) we totally ruined the title race by selling RVP and B) I honestly don't think that our squad is that much worse than United's in areas of the pitch other than up front, so if we had shown some ambition and kept RVP then we could have been challenging this year. The same thing applies to an extent to Spurs and Chelsea I think, because they've got midfields that (imo) match United's but have been lacking up front. City are just baffling but I'd be tempted to put down their performance this year to psychology more than anything (which is an area Fergie will forever have the upper hand in).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 638
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 7:55:47 PM   
Professor Moriarty

In the PL the midfield has done well, but there are problems.

Kagawa has imo struggled to adapt so far. But it is early days and he had a quite lengthy injury just when he should have been getting going.
Anderson and Nani are both far too inconsistent with the former struggling for fitness in all kinds of ways usually.
Valencia is usually Mr Consistent, but has been weaker than usual this season. Hopefully that is a dip in form.
Young imo just isn't very good.
Its sadly looking like Fletcher might struggle to ever come back.
And Scholes and Giggs (a goal in every PL season for 23 years.. seriously ) legends but the time must be close for exit (again)
Carrick imo is very limited, but I guess he does a job
Cleverley as noted has done well, be interesting to follow him next season.

I think what has really helped is that they are ultra disciplined. Everyone of them (give or take a Nani sometimes) works their socks off up and down the field. And that has lacked in Chelsea and City. And they have great contributors to the midfield, like Rooney, RvP (how many assists has he?) and Rafael.

So they are doing the job, but imo still a poor Utd midfield and a weak one at this stage of the CL.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 639
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 8:15:56 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

It's frustrating as an Arsenal fan, because A) we totally ruined the title race by selling RVP and B) I honestly don't think that our squad is that much worse than United's in areas of the pitch other than up front, so if we had shown some ambition and kept RVP then we could have been challenging this year.

Arsenal have a much better team than their league position, imo. I do think that the team has two problems

1) Their weak point always seems to be exploited, if that makes any sense. So, let's say that Utd's weak point is defense (for the sake of argument), well they can score 5 even if you get 4. But its like if Arsenal have one weak player on the field he will let the team down. And IMO we have seen Szczesny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Rosicky, Giroud, Fervinho, and that fella who went out on loan all being weak at times this season.

2) Mentally there seems no comparison. Utd know that they can win and even look like they feel they must win. Arsenal give the impression that 4th place will do.

Some of those players really need to step up next season. For example, how many goals has Ox scored this year?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 640
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 8:57:28 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

It's frustrating as an Arsenal fan, because A) we totally ruined the title race by selling RVP and B) I honestly don't think that our squad is that much worse than United's in areas of the pitch other than up front, so if we had shown some ambition and kept RVP then we could have been challenging this year.

Arsenal have a much better team than their league position, imo. I do think that the team has two problems

1) Their weak point always seems to be exploited, if that makes any sense. So, let's say that Utd's weak point is defense (for the sake of argument), well they can score 5 even if you get 4. But its like if Arsenal have one weak player on the field he will let the team down. And IMO we have seen Szczesny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Rosicky, Giroud, Fervinho, and that fella who went out on loan all being weak at times this season.

2) Mentally there seems no comparison. Utd know that they can win and even look like they feel they must win. Arsenal give the impression that 4th place will do.

Some of those players really need to step up next season. For example, how many goals has Ox scored this year?

Which is one of the reasons RVP left, and many others.
Arsenal are a decent team,but as mentioned above they're weak mentally.
If Spurs finish above them in the PL this season and take the remaining CL place then I would find it extremely interesting to see what Arsene does in the summer.

And OX has been a disappointment this year.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 11/2/2013 8:58:41 PM >

Post #: 641
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 9:01:43 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

If Spurs finish above them in the PL this season and take the remaining CL place then I would find it extremely interesting to see what Arsene does in the summer.

Go to Monaco

Be hilarious if Spurs finish 4th and Arsenal win the CL .... what ???

Post #: 642
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 9:03:07 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Go to Monaco

Be hilarious if Spurs finish 4th and Arsenal win the CL .... what ???

you just know Arsenal are going to win the CL now.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 11/2/2013 9:35:05 PM >

Post #: 643
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 9:41:12 PM   
Nexus Wookie

West Brom!

Post #: 644
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 9:47:57 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

f*ck

Post #: 645
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 9:50:59 PM   
Nexus Wookie

What? What the fuck!

Liverpool 0
West Brom 2

You better believe it!

Post #: 646
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 9:56:28 PM   
Nexus Wookie

West Brom have done the double over Liverpool. Unfucking believable! Liverpool on top throughout much of the game, but that Gerard penalty miss turned everything around. In times like these, especially a West Brom side lacking one of their top striker in Odemwengie, you just have to take your hat off to them. Well played. But whats up with Liverpool? Total self implosion.

Post #: 647
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 9:58:04 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

West Brom have done the double over Liverpool. Unfucking believable! Liverpool on top throughout much of the game, but that Gerard penalty miss turned everything around. In times like these, especially a West Brom side lacking one of their top striker in Odemwengie, you just have to take your hat off to them. Well played. But whats up with Liverpool? Total self implosion.

Justice - never a penalty in the first place.

Anyways, we only need 3 shots!

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

Post #: 648
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 11/2/2013 10:06:35 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight

quote:

Justice - never a penalty in the first place.

Anyways, we only need 3 shots!

Yeah well played to West Brom. Steve Clarke is doing a great job in my opinion, maybe Liverpool should've made him manager from the start! And the reason why this defeat will be a double whammy for Liverpool, is because they could've won the match had Gerard scored the spot kick, and also because up till then they had been doing pretty good. But Foster was superb today, and like i said the penalty save changed everything. Well done West Brom!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 11/2/2013 10:08:13 PM >

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 649
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 12/2/2013 12:29:18 AM   
Art Decade

quote:

Yeah well played to West Brom. Steve Clarke is doing a great job in my opinion, maybe Liverpool should've made him manager from the start!

Anyone but Rodgers!

He's still "making progress", the second coming of Shankly. A record as bad as Hodgson's yet he's still at Anfield!

Post #: 650
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 12/2/2013 11:40:39 AM   
borstal

quote:

Everyone of them (give or take a Nani sometimes) works their socks off up and down the field.

RVP has helped but this is the main reason we are doing well. Just watch our strikers during a match and they are often to be seen tracking back then bursting forward. Its a pleasure to see them work hard for the team....and then bang them in

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 651
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 12/2/2013 7:50:55 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Utd's defence has been a lot stronger in recent weeks and just at the right time with Madrid tomorrow night.

I agree that the midfield isn't as bad as people like to make out but when put up against your Madrid's and Barcelona's its sadly found wanting, the midfield is fine for a premier league title but if Fergie wants any chance of another european cup he definitely needs to strengthen that area.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 652
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 12/2/2013 11:05:41 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art Decade

quote:

Yeah well played to West Brom. Steve Clarke is doing a great job in my opinion, maybe Liverpool should've made him manager from the start!

Anyone but Rodgers!

He's still "making progress", the second coming of Shankly. A record as bad as Hodgson's yet he's still at Anfield!

The record's not so important when your rebuilding from the ground up, Rodgers is doing fine.

(in reply to Art Decade)
Post #: 653
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 14/2/2013 11:58:20 PM   
Art Decade

He is doing a wonderful job.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 654
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 15/2/2013 1:37:12 AM   
Saltire

I suppose thats meant to be sarcastic. We had chances tonight like against West Brom the other day and couldn't take them, it happens. I'd be more worried if they weren't creating them.

(in reply to Art Decade)
Post #: 655
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 17/2/2013 4:16:12 PM   
Professor Moriarty

This is brilliant from Suarez. I really wonder if Liverpool can hang on to him this summer.

Poor from Laudrup I'm afraid. I don't really understand why he's resting players for a game that is a week off, should be out there playing keeping the confidence. This could easily be 5 or 6 by the end of the match.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 656
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 24/2/2013 12:48:20 PM   
Goodfella

Any Spurs fans out there know much about this Jonathan Obika. We may have to start him this weekend given that Kermorgant will now be suspended for three matches and I'm not sure about the full fitness of Danny Haynes?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 657
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 24/2/2013 12:53:31 PM   
Skiba

How shit were QPR yesterday? Fairplay to Utd but there was just some shockingly lazy stuff from QPR...can't see them getting out of it

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 658
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 24/2/2013 2:00:07 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

How shit were QPR yesterday? Fairplay to Utd but there was just some shockingly lazy stuff from QPR...can't see them getting out of it

Peter Odemwingie's failed transfer summed up beautifully what most of the current QPR squad are all about - the money. And they'll all be handing in their transfer requests at the end of May as well. There's no loyalty to the club, even if that's a bit of a cliche these days.

Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero on the same football field completely transform Man City as a team, I'm sure a few of their fans will be wishing they could have had had more of this over the past few months. Wonderful save from Petr Cech though, he's still the best goalkeeper in the Premiership in my opinion.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 659
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 24/2/2013 2:30:26 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Petr Cech isn't even close to being half the keeper he was before his head injuries, so whilst he can still have his moments of brilliance I just cannot agree that he's the best keeper in the league.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 660
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI