Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/1/2013 6:19:24 PM   
directorscut

I can easily imagine sometime during his life Balotelli will do a Forrest Gump-esque run across Europe.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 511
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/1/2013 7:08:16 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

So with all this in mind, Barcelona and United are essentially on an equal footing to judge their European performances on. Five European Cup/CL finals for Barca in the two and a bit decades we're focusing on - 1991/92, 1993/94, 2005/06, 2008/09 and 2010/11. Four for United - 1998/99, 2007/08, 2008/09 and 2010/11. Now, admittedly Barca have more wins (four from five compared to United's two from four), but two of those finals overlapped and there can only be one winner - generally the best team in the world is going to win, sorry United fans - would you extend your assertion that United have been inconsistent in Europe in relation to their domestic performance to Barcelona, given that they've gone out of first two rounds five times out of the eighteen seasons we're referring to (27%)?

I would extend it to Barcelona for the early 90s yes, they didn't transfer their domestic dominance to Europe. But since 94-95 they haven't dominated domestically in the same way Man Utd have so it's not an equal footing. If we take the period 94/95 to 08/09 when they started their dominance again, they won La Liga 4 times. In the same period of 15 years Man Utd won the league 8 times. Not only that but Barca finished outside the top 3 on 4 occasions. Man Utd never have.

So back to the original argument. Ferguson has indeed been inconsistent in Europe and hasn't transferred domestic dominance to the CL. The Barcelona Dream Team didn't transfer their dominance either but since that ended they didn't dominate La Liga again until 08/09. Man Utd on the other hand remained the dominant team in English football and yet didn't transfer that to Europe. Since 08/09 Barca have been champions of Europe as many times as Ferguson has in 20 years.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 512
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/1/2013 7:30:45 PM   
Olaf

It was a rhetorical question about Barca - my point is that it's impossible to dominate the CL and relatively speaking, Ferguson's European record is as good as anyone's. Any top European team you care to name has roughly the same record in the same time span; Real Madrid have been in three finals since the introduction of the CL, Milan, Bayern Munich and Juventus have been in four, Ajax have been in two (Munich and Ajax being another two teams who can be said to have dominated their respective leagues in the period). The Champions League is also way harder to win than the old European Cup was, so that should be taken into account before comparing Ferguson to 50s Real/70s-80s Liverpool/early-70s Munich/etc.

I don't mean to be coming off as a Ferguson fanboy or anything (I can't stand him to be honest), but the claim that he's underperformed in Europe doesn't hold up when you consider the realities of the tournament itself. The current Barcelona team are possibly the best ever, so it's not really fair to compare wins (even though continuing to compete over a long period of time like Ferguson's United have, even if it doesn't mean winning regularly, is arguably just as impressive.)

< Message edited by Olaf -- 30/1/2013 7:31:11 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 513
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/1/2013 9:18:16 PM   
Goodfella

Tonight's Olympic silver for diving goes to Lukas Podolski, the gold to Jack Wilshere....

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 514
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/1/2013 9:21:25 PM   
Olaf

I didn't see the Podolski one but the Wilshere dive was laughable. Maybe they're being unduly influenced by The Antichrist(TM) Luis Suarez.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 515
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/1/2013 9:39:37 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I didn't see the Podolski one but the Wilshere dive was laughable. Maybe they're being unduly influenced by The Antichrist(TM) Luis Suarez.

With the Podolski one he just ran into the back of the defender, I'm not sure how you can trip someone up if your not even sure where they are! Yep, quite possibly, I mean everything else that is wrong with English football seems to be Suarez's fault these days. If Charlton lose the derby to Palace on Saturday I'm already plotting some way to put it all on him.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 516
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/1/2013 10:02:15 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

With the Podolski one he just ran into the back of the defender, I'm not sure how you can trip someone up if your not even sure where they are! Yep, quite possibly, I mean everything else that is wrong with English football seems to be Suarez's fault these days. If Charlton lose the derby to Palace on Saturday I'm already plotting some way to put it all on him.

Ah I get you now, I didn't see that as a dive though to be honest - I think he was going that direction anyway with intending to go down, and it's expected (if incredibly tedious) that anyone who goes down in the box will look for a penalty. Giroud got a 4.5 for his jump though, lovely technique.

I actually whacked my foot into my bed on the way back to my seat as it happens. DAMN YOU LUIS.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 517
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/1/2013 10:20:41 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Oh,Arsenal will win

idiot.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 518
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/1/2013 10:38:32 PM   
Rinc

quote:

It was a rhetorical question about Barca - my point is that it's impossible to dominate the CL and relatively speaking, Ferguson's European record is as good as anyone's. Any top European team you care to name has roughly the same record in the same time span; Real Madrid have been in three finals since the introduction of the CL, Milan, Bayern Munich and Juventus have been in four, Ajax have been in two (Munich and Ajax being another two teams who can be said to have dominated their respective leagues in the period). The Champions League is also way harder to win than the old European Cup was, so that should be taken into account before comparing Ferguson to 50s Real/70s-80s Liverpool/early-70s Munich/etc.

But Ferguson's record isn't as good as anyone's given his domestic dominance. Out of those teams you've listed, and discounting Ajax because they just don't have the resources the others do, only Bayern have dominated their domestic league as much as Man U. And Bayern are well known as bottlers who haven't converted talent into European success. The CL may be harder to win than the European Cup but it's easier to get into and given Man Utd's players and resources, a QF place should be a definite every year.

quote:

I don't mean to be coming off as a Ferguson fanboy or anything (I can't stand him to be honest), but the claim that he's underperformed in Europe doesn't hold up when you consider the realities of the tournament itself.

It does hold up. Man Utd have dominated their domestic league more than any other major European power apart from Bayern in the last 20 years. In that time Man Utd have never finished outside of the top 3 and have resources most big clubs can only dream of. And yet there has never been a time when you could say Man Utd have been the best club in Europe over a 3-5 year period. Even in the last 5 years, when Man Utd have been their most consistent in the CL in reaching the final (and yet still went out in the group stage in those 5 years), there has always been the shadow of other teams who are held in higher regard hovering over them. Before those 5 years Man Utd reached only one final in 15 years. Most people at the time said Man Utd had failed to reach their potential in Europe and I think it can still be said.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 519
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 30/1/2013 10:52:38 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

Ah I get you now, I didn't see that as a dive though to be honest - I think he was going that direction anyway with intending to go down, and it's expected (if incredibly tedious) that anyone who goes down in the box will look for a penalty. Giroud got a 4.5 for his jump though, lovely technique.

I actually whacked my foot into my bed on the way back to my seat as it happens. DAMN YOU LUIS.

I think what got me was the way he stuck his own foot out in an attempt to force a connection of bodies with the defender, went down flapping like an injured seagull whilst squealing like a 9-year old girl at the referee. I didn't see Giroud's, I was busy sticking needles in my Suarez doll...

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 520
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 12:28:26 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

But Ferguson's record isn't as good as anyone's given his domestic dominance. Out of those teams you've listed, and discounting Ajax because they just don't have the resources the others do, only Bayern have dominated their domestic league as much as Man U. And Bayern are well known as bottlers who haven't converted talent into European success. The CL may be harder to win than the European Cup but it's easier to get into and given Man Utd's players and resources, a QF place should be a definite every year.

quote:

I don't mean to be coming off as a Ferguson fanboy or anything (I can't stand him to be honest), but the claim that he's underperformed in Europe doesn't hold up when you consider the realities of the tournament itself.

It does hold up. Man Utd have dominated their domestic league more than any other major European power apart from Bayern in the last 20 years. In that time Man Utd have never finished outside of the top 3 and have resources most big clubs can only dream of. And yet there has never been a time when you could say Man Utd have been the best club in Europe over a 3-5 year period. Even in the last 5 years, when Man Utd have been their most consistent in the CL in reaching the final (and yet still went out in the group stage in those 5 years), there has always been the shadow of other teams who are held in higher regard hovering over them. Before those 5 years Man Utd reached only one final in 15 years. Most people at the time said Man Utd had failed to reach their potential in Europe and I think it can still be said.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I just can't agree when there's been no team to dominate the Champions League in the way you're describing. You can point to domestic dominance, but it's totally arbitrary when it comes to European football (which is what my point with the wall of text about Barcelona was). Being the best in a league means nothing except being better than the other teams in that country, and has no correlation to being the best team in Europe. The PL was well behind the Serie A and La Liga throughout the 90s and the early 00s as well, so that needs to be taken into consideration. And during the period in the mid/late-00s where English football became the dominant force, they were the most successful English team in the tournament (along with Liverpool). The only time in the history of the CL where one team has been the best in Europe for a number of years in a row is recently with Barcelona, and even then they haven't won it back to back.

The domestic dominance argument only holds water when it was the European Cup and only the league champions qualified, which is why Liverpool were able to win a much smaller tournament repeatedly during a period in which they bossed the English game as well. Other than that, it's just too difficult to have a monopoly on European success, and that's nothing to do with domestic leagues. If you take Ferguson's record in Europe in what it should be based on - his performances in Europe, and not about how he 'should have done' - then it's roughly as good as Real Madrid (six consecutive round of 16 exits from 04/05 to 09/10), Barcelona (the aforementioned five early exits), Bayern Munich (four) or A.C. Milan (five). If these teams aren't the closest to 'dominant' you can think of in the Champions League, I don't know who are.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 521
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 10:11:00 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Harry Redknapp in December

quote:

Asked about his plans for the January transfer window, Redknapp said: "I don't want to spend their (the club's) money, to be honest with you. "There are a lot of players at this club who earn far too much money for what they are; far, far, far too much money for their ability and what they give to the club. "There are a lot of players at this club who earn far too much money for what they are. "I don't really want to see the owners have their pants taken down like they have in the past. There's a lot of agents made money out of them. "I fined a player last week and he was earning more than any player earned at Tottenham.

"You shouldn't be paying massive wages when you've got a stadium that holds 18,000 people

Harry Redknapp on January transfer deadline day
quote:

Christopher Samba is set to complete a 12.5m move to QPR from Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.
It is understood the ex-Blackburn defender, 28, will receive 100,000-a-week, including bonuses and add-ons.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 522
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 1:44:41 PM   
emogeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Harry Redknapp in December

quote:

Asked about his plans for the January transfer window, Redknapp said: "I don't want to spend their (the club's) money, to be honest with you. "There are a lot of players at this club who earn far too much money for what they are; far, far, far too much money for their ability and what they give to the club. "There are a lot of players at this club who earn far too much money for what they are. "I don't really want to see the owners have their pants taken down like they have in the past. There's a lot of agents made money out of them. "I fined a player last week and he was earning more than any player earned at Tottenham.

"You shouldn't be paying massive wages when you've got a stadium that holds 18,000 people

Harry Redknapp on January transfer deadline day
quote:

Christopher Samba is set to complete a 12.5m move to QPR from Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.
It is understood the ex-Blackburn defender, 28, will receive 100,000-a-week, including bonuses and add-ons.

Spooky - I was just coming on here to make exactly the same point (with the same quote from December too!)

But let's not forget. He's no wheeler dealer... http://youtu.be/xJBsI7RAuvk

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 523
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 3:43:53 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I wanted to get in there before the Fiver runs the same thing

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 524
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 4:28:35 PM   
directorscut

I told Wenger to sign him years ago!

QPR are screwed if when they go down. A player on 100,000p/w. LOL.

Post #: 525
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 4:32:29 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I told Wenger to sign him years ago!

QPR are screwed if when they go down. A player on 100,000p/w. LOL.

But it won't be Harrys fault, how would he know that QPR with 18K per week couldn't afford a 100,000p/w player?

QPR and Southampton still the two I'm hoping fall through the cracks to the Championship.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 526
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 4:43:10 PM   
Olaf

This has been stuck in my head since yesterday evening - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_f1N51Gv9c Apt because at midnight tonight I'll be crying more than my sister did at the end of Les Miserables.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 527
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 4:49:38 PM   
superdan

quote:

This has been stuck in my head since yesterday evening - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_f1N51Gv9c Apt because at midnight tonight I'll be crying more than my sister did at the end of Les Miserables.

Yeah, like any of us believe it was your 'sister' that was crying like a pussy at the end of Les Mis.

Edit: And as for 'Arry and the shenanigans at QPR - does anyone else think this carries more than a whiff of Portsmouth about it? I mean, Samba is obviously a triffic player, absolutely top top drawer, but 100k a week?

< Message edited by superdan -- 31/1/2013 4:54:24 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 528
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 4:50:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Yeah, like any of us believe it was your 'sister' that was crying like a pussy at the end of Les Mis.

That was great tho. The 'Arry bit is inspired.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 529
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 8:07:43 PM   
emogeek

Interesting...

West Bromwich Albion statement: "Albion have moved to clarify developments regarding Peter Odemwingie after the striker was filmed a short while ago arriving at Loftus Road.

"The club can confirm they have held further discussions with QPR today but those talks have so far proven fruitless and no agreement has been reached.

"Albion would also like to make clear that Peter has not been given permission to speak to QPR about a potential move."

But remember - he's a not a wheeler dealer. He's a F@@king football manager....

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

Post #: 530
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 8:16:00 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think that Harry really needs Odemwingie. I can certainly see that with him in the side they'd be favourites to win the Championship next season

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 531
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 8:17:13 PM   
emogeek

quote:

I think that Harry really needs Odemwingie. I can certainly see that with him in the side they'd be favourites to win the Championship next season

Even with the 10 point penalty?

Post #: 532
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 8:17:42 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

quote:

Even with the 10 point penalty?

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 533
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 8:22:08 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

Interesting...

West Bromwich Albion statement: "Albion have moved to clarify developments regarding Peter Odemwingie after the striker was filmed a short while ago arriving at Loftus Road.

"The club can confirm they have held further discussions with QPR today but those talks have so far proven fruitless and no agreement has been reached.

"Albion would also like to make clear that Peter has not been given permission to speak to QPR about a potential move."

But remember - he's a not a wheeler dealer. He's a F@@king football manager....

These quotes from Odemwingie are ridiculous if the above is true:

quote:

Odemwingie had earlier told Sky Sports News: "Of course I love West Brom and I always will. But I'm very optimistic that I will join QPR, it's a new chapter in my life.

"I am optimistic. A few good players have arrived here (at QPR) and I am happy with the trust Harry Redknapp has in me.

"The last few results have given us a chance to stay up. I don't think the owners will bring in so many players if they don't think it will happen.

"It's not 100 per cent (the deal), it's not sorted yet but I hope West Brom will be happy with what they get. And of course they are hoping to get players themselves.

"I just hope things will go well in the next few hours."

Referring to QPR as "us" wont' do him any favours if no deal is in place/emerges.

Here's hoping for some lovely FA sanctions against Arry, QPR and Odemwingie.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 534
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 8:42:33 PM   
directorscut

If they didn't sanction Ferguson over kidnapping Berbatov they're not going to do anything here.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 535
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 8:45:40 PM   
emogeek

I'm waiting for Spurs to sweep in with an 11th hour agreement for Odemwingie....

Post #: 536
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 8:51:21 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

If they didn't sanction Ferguson over kidnapping Berbatov they're not going to do anything here.

You've got your anti-United/anti-Ferguson logic all muddled up, surely Harry will get sanctioned for things Fergie doesn't because the FA are scared of Fergie and he gets away with everything?

Post #: 537
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 9:00:04 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

On that very same note, reports are emerging that Howard Webb has been spotted at Old Trafford to undergo a medical.

Post #: 538
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 9:02:11 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Tenuous PL link in that Will.I.An will not be joining Chelsea (or anyone else) in the near future as apparently he's off to Anzi for about 30M.

More evidence today that money does indeed talk and it mostly says "come here my son" (in an 'Arry voice)

Post #: 539
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 31/1/2013 9:27:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Big move for Stoke. Does this mean that Crouch is off.. and Odemwingie is going back home with his tail between his legs? Anyway, one man who was Ready for a move... Brek Shea, from Dallas to Stoke.

Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI