Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 19/11/2012 12:42:36 AM   
Goodfella

QPR now stands for Quick Phone Redknapp I think.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 271
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 19/11/2012 7:35:31 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

And this time next week United may be on top of the PL again ie United have a home game against world beaters QPR.

Ex-Utd player goes back in desperate need of 3 points, a shite team up against it, Man U with a wobbly team of old knackered players, you can see Mark Hughes half apologetically raising his hands to the Stretford End........
No me neither.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 272
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 19/11/2012 3:26:08 PM   
superdan

I can't stand Mark Hughes, he's a sour old bastard so I hope he gets the sack. The baffling thing is he'll get another job soon enough despite being a shite manager.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 273
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 19/11/2012 3:45:39 PM   
jonson

My missus always recounts the story of when she saw Wales play football when she was at Uni in Cardiff.
She reckons it was pissing it down with rain, but when they came back out for the second half, it was obvious Mark Hughes had spent his 15 minutes re-blow-drying his hair.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 274
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 19/11/2012 4:02:47 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

My missus always recounts the story of when she saw Wales play football when she was at Uni in Cardiff.
She reckons it was pissing it down with rain, but when they came back out for the second half, it was obvious Mark Hughes had spent his 15 minutes re-blow-drying his hair.

That's brilliant.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 275
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 19/11/2012 7:46:43 PM   
Olaf

Sounds like he's gone anyway. Perhaps QPR didn't share his ambition of wanting to be a Championship manager.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 276
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 19/11/2012 8:24:52 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I can't stand Mark Hughes, he's a sour old bastard so I hope he gets the sack. The baffling thing is he'll get another job soon enough despite being a shite manager.

Still makes me do a double-take every time I read his actual age.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 277
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 19/11/2012 10:34:54 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

He's wank, and I can't actually remember him doing a great job anywhere dispite spending shit loads of money.
He paid money for Kolo Toure FFS.

He can always go back Summer Bay with Alf when he gets the boot.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 278
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 20/11/2012 1:59:30 PM   
Olaf

It's always highly amusing to look at some of the stars he brought in when managing City. Jo, Tal Ben Haim, Robinho, Wayne Bridge, Roque Santa Cruz..

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 279
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 20/11/2012 2:23:36 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

This is indeed baffling. His agent deserves whatever cut he's on. The odd thing is that when most teams get a new manager they get, at least a mini, improvement in form. Just by being released from the old regime, having a new boss to impress, maybe different words said in the dressing room. Even if the team often sinks back to its level, you can often see a new manager bringing some points in his first few games.
Sparky has a reputation for not even being able to do this. He's a "slow starter".

I actually think it is a dream job. There is plenty of talent at the club, they just need motivating and pointing in the right direction. They've more midfielders than you can shake a stick at, and if they brought in a new manager I'd expect them to get a mini bump of a few points, and then maybe to bring in a new striker in January who might help the team stave off relegation.

Its actually quite a strong PL this season. Often teams that stay up for a season struggle in that second season in the top flight, but that's not really in evidence so much this year. Also only Southampton look quite a poor team in the top flight, but they have spent and if they can organise their defense they could be a danger to teams around them by losing a couple heavily, but then winning one and picking points up that way.

As it is, QPR'll probably end up bringing Beckham in as an assistant player manager or some screwball thing.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 280
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 20/11/2012 2:24:41 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

It's always highly amusing to look at some of the stars he brought in when managing City. Jo, Tal Ben Haim, Robinho, Wayne Bridge, Roque Santa Cruz..

As well as Bellamy, Adebayour, Lescott, De Jong, Barry, Tevez, Zabaleta and some bloke called Kompany.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 20/11/2012 2:33:43 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 281
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 20/11/2012 3:29:59 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

As well as Bellamy, Adebayour, Lescott, De Jong, Barry, Tevez, Zabaleta and some bloke called Kompany.

Not sure that they help your argument. If you get given a credit card with no limit and you've got any brains, you don't buy Fords and Audis (or, in the case of Garry Barry, Vauxhalls), you buy Aston Martins, Porsches and Ferraris

< Message edited by superdan -- 20/11/2012 3:30:59 PM >

Post #: 282
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 20/11/2012 3:33:05 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Damn. Beaten to the reply, except I was also going to highlight de Jong

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 283
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 20/11/2012 3:36:51 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Its actually quite a strong PL this season.

Evidenced by the fact that Man City & Utd who have both been relatively poor are top of it.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 284
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 20/11/2012 3:53:09 PM   
horribleives

Can't say I'm Barry's biggest fan either (though that's largely based on his England performances) but Bellamy was one of City's best players in his second season, Adebayor and De Jong (despite the latter's tendency to try and kill people) had some great spells before falling down the pecking order post-Mancini, and Lescott is still a key player.
And as for Aston Martins and Porsches - spending a lot of money doesn't always guarentee results, as the aforementioned Robinho proved after one half-decent season.
Though why I'm debating this is beyond me as I couldn't agree more that Hughes is a sub-par manager - my simple point is that he didn't only buy shite.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 285
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 20/11/2012 4:52:36 PM   
superdan

quote:

Though why I'm debating this is beyond me as I couldn't agree more that Hughes is a sub-par manager - my simple point is that he didn't only buy shite.

Of course not, no-one claimed he did. You could be the worst darts player in the world but throw enough darts and you'll hit bullseye every now and then. The point was that, given he had a blank chequebook, he bought an awful lot of dross. I remember at the time when we all knew that City were the richest club in the world that signing players like Barry, Santa Cruz and Bridge smacked of a lack of ambition or imagination. It seemed like every day there'd be another signing that would make me think "Him? Really? All the money in the world and you've signed him?"

quote:

spending a lot of money doesn't always guarentee results

No, but it doesn't hurt if you spend it on good players (cf. Man Utd, Chelsea, 90's Blackburn etc.) rather than mediocrity (Liverpool, Tottenham).

Post #: 286
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 20/11/2012 6:06:11 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Its actually quite a strong PL this season.

Evidenced by the fact that Man City & Utd who have both been relatively poor are top of it.

I think the quality at the top of the league has gone down and the quality at the bottom has gone up. Basically nearly everyone is mediocre and only a handful are terrible or good.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 287
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 20/11/2012 7:53:26 PM   
talpacino

I like Gary Neville - http://www.balls.ie/football/brilliant-gary-neville-analysis-of-jonathan-walters-goal-for-stoke-vs-west-ham/#sthash.kgYVU37q.dpbs

Video quality isn't amazing but still worth a watch.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 288
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 21/11/2012 12:25:54 AM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Of course not, no-one claimed he did. You could be the worst darts player in the world but throw enough darts and you'll hit bullseye every now and then. The point was that, given he had a blank chequebook, he bought an awful lot of dross. I remember at the time when we all knew that City were the richest club in the world that signing players like Barry, Santa Cruz and Bridge smacked of a lack of ambition or imagination. It seemed like every day there'd be another signing that would make me think "Him? Really? All the money in the world and you've signed him?"

quote:

spending a lot of money doesn't always guarentee results

No, but it doesn't hurt if you spend it on good players (cf. Man Utd, Chelsea, 90's Blackburn etc.) rather than mediocrity (Liverpool, Tottenham).

True but people probably thought the same thing about the relatively unknown likes of Kompany and Zabaleta, or potentially (at the time) risky prospects like Bellamy, Tevez or Adebayour.
I just think it's dismissing the bigger picture to be amused by the shite he bought (as the original post I responded to did) while ignoring players who did (or are still doing) a sterling job for the club.
He's a poor manager - no doubt. I just don't think his busines in the transfer market at City is the best example to back that up.
As for the darts analogy - well, you could also be the greatest player and hit double-five every now and again.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 289
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 21/11/2012 1:05:09 AM   
Olaf

To be fair, Kompany was only an unknown to PL watchers and tabloid papers - he was one of the most promising young players in Europe at Anderlecht and would have played more for Hamburg if it wasn't for injury. And Adebayor and Tevez were categorically not risky at the time, Tevez was a key player for Man United winning the league the season before (unless you count Ade phoning in his last season at Arsenal, fair enough).

Either way, I don't think I'm dismissing the bigger picture when it really consists of Sparky spending a combined 252m, over two seasons, on 17 players, only for five of them (Kompany, Lescott, Tevez, Zabaleta, Barry) to be anything resembling first team players today.

(before you say it - I don't think Mancini has been *that* much more efficient with his spending. But up until this summer's horrorshow transfer window I thought his record wasn't too bad, seven first team regulars out of twelve signings/nine if you include Balotelli and Dzeko, with Boateng being the only real flop of the bunch.)

< Message edited by Olaf -- 21/11/2012 2:12:45 AM >

Post #: 290
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 21/11/2012 7:43:55 PM   
Rinc

quote:

To be fair, Kompany was only an unknown to PL watchers and tabloid papers - he was one of the most promising young players in Europe at Anderlecht and would have played more for Hamburg if it wasn't for injury.

I remember when he was a Wonderkid on Champ Manager - the true measure of any great player.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 291
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 21/11/2012 9:44:00 PM   
horribleives

Fuck it - you're all right. Why I felt the urge to defend that curly haired plank is beyond me.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 292
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 23/11/2012 11:07:29 AM   
emogeek

In a move that will shock the world of football to it's very foundations, the BBC are reporting that.....

Mark Hughes is no longer QPR manager

Wonder which dog loving "best manager ever (copyright the English
Press)" will get that job

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

Post #: 293
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 23/11/2012 11:18:41 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Its just such a shame that 'Arry is probably already so committed in his head to taking the Ukraine job.

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 294
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 23/11/2012 12:19:27 PM   
superdan

Do you think Harry would actually turn it around? I wonder if the problems at QPR are a matter of the players not being motivated to play for the club, or whether they simply aren't that good.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 295
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 23/11/2012 12:26:54 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I certainly think you can pick a team out of it. Their biggest weakness is up front, where you've got Cisse or Johnson.

But most teams play 1 up front and a midfield comprising Park, Taarabt, Granero, Hoilett has a lot of attacking options.

I think you can build a defense out of the players available and Cesar / Green should be no mugs in goal.

IMO its a team that has the ability to stay up.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 296
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 23/11/2012 1:20:13 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

In a move that will shock the world of football to it's very foundations, the BBC are reporting that.....

Mark Hughes is no longer QPR manager

Wonder which dog loving "best manager ever (copyright the English
Press)" will get that job

Good riddance i say. He's a shite manager. I'll say this; Mark Hughes has nothing on Big Sam Allerdyce

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 297
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 23/11/2012 1:57:42 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

I wonder if Harry is still about to sign to manage Ukraine?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 298
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 23/11/2012 5:58:12 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Cant believe they sacked Hughes.I thought he was doing a brilliant job in getting QPR into the Championship.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 299
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 23/11/2012 10:44:59 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Harry's just said on Sky he was about to sign for Ukraine yesterday until the QPR job became available.

Wasn't Hughes sacked today?

Also just had a thought this time last year if you posted that Harry would be falling over himself to join joining QPR, Chelsea would be European Champions and Rafa was now manager, how much shit would you have gotten?

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 23/11/2012 10:50:08 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI