Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 6/6/2012 3:29:25 PM   
Sinatra

Well the fixtures aren't out yet, but seeing as new signings have begun and speculation is already well under way, I thought I may as well post this thread now.

I started the 2011-2012 thread with the following questions:

Many questions need answers... can Utd be reborn yet again under Sir Alex and storm to yet another title? Not quite who will be the Chelsea Manager? we still dont know! will Arsenal finally spend some money and which players can they hold on to? no, but they did keep hold of players Will Man City finally come of age on the biggest stage of all...only just..! can Kenny pull off some sort of miracle and get Liverpool back into the big time? not even close were Spurs a 1 season wonder? Yep! and will Torres actually score some goals this season?? a few important ones and plenty of assists, he's going in the right direction

So this season, will the new Champions of Europe (and FA Cup winners) fair better in the PL? will Man Utd rebound from a trophyless season? can Liverpool accomplish anything this season other than a cup run/win? can Man City maintain their PL form and perhaps more importantly transfer it into CL success/run? and will Arsenal finally win a trophy???
Post #: 1
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 6/6/2012 3:35:12 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Well the fixtures aren't out yet, but seeing as new signings have begun and speculation is already well under way, I thought I may as well post this thread now.

I started the 2011-2012 thread with the following questions:

Many questions need answers... can Utd be reborn yet again under Sir Alex and storm to yet another title? Not quite who will be the Chelsea Manager? we still dont know! will Arsenal finally spend some money and which players can they hold on to? no, but they did keep hold of players Will Man City finally come of age on the biggest stage of all...only just..! can Kenny pull off some sort of miracle and get Liverpool back into the big time? not even close were Spurs a 1 season wonder? Yep! and will Torres actually score some goals this season?? a few important ones and plenty of assists, he's going in the right direction

That wouldn't be including Arshavin, Nasri or Fabregas then

quote:

So this season, will the new Champions of Europe (and FA Cup winners) fair better in the PL? will Man Utd rebound from a trophyless season? can Liverpool accomplish anything this season other than a cup run/win? can Man City maintain their PL form and perhaps more importantly transfer it into CL success/run? and will Arsenal finally win a trophy???

I'm really looking forward to this season, some great signings joining some good players.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 6/6/2012 3:37:36 PM >

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 2
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 6/6/2012 3:48:09 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

That wouldn't be including Arshavin, Nasri or Fabregas then

I think Fagregas had already gone, or it was at least iminent but anyway... it was widely expected at the time that the likes of RVP and Walcott may be on their way... they would never have finished 3rd otherwise.

As ever the summer signings will be crucial.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 3
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 6/6/2012 11:37:18 PM   
directorscut

Why isn't Martinez linked with the WBA job? Seems to be a perfect fit for me. A step up from Wigan but not too much of a step up.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 4
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 7/6/2012 12:11:31 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Why isn't Martinez linked with the WBA job? Seems to be a perfect fit for me. A step up from Wigan but not too much of a step up.

Because West Brom are probably looking for a manager who can get his team to show up for more than 8 games a season.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 7/6/2012 11:35:12 PM   
boaby

The MacMafia apparently bolstered after suffering heavy losses.

Fergie (Manure)
Moyes (Everton)
Lambert (Villa)
Clarke (WBA) Confirmed?

Will finish in that order I reckon. Can't see Lambert doing enough to catch Everton. Can see WBA struggling to stay up.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 8/6/2012 9:02:11 AM   
Sinatra

My order for next seasons top 4:

Man Utd
Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 7
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 8/6/2012 9:49:56 AM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

The MacMafia apparently bolstered after suffering heavy losses.

Fergie (Manure)
Moyes (Everton)
Lambert (Villa)
Clarke (WBA) Confirmed?
Will finish in that order I reckon. Can't see Lambert doing enough to catch Everton. Can see WBA struggling to stay up.

Seems to have been now. Bit of a risk? Mixed results as a number two and none really as number one...I thought WBA would aim a bit higher and get a proven manager.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 8
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 8/6/2012 10:12:41 AM   
Rinc

A the moment I'm going for Man City top next season and Man Utd second again. Aaprt from that I haven't got the foggiest and will wait till after all the post Euros signings to make any more predictions.

Man City might want to take note of this. I started a Football Manager 2011 game a couple of days ago with Man City. Thought I'd experiment with formations and tactics to play the most attractive, possession heavy, attacking football going. So I've got a centre back who always stays back while the other one makes runs upfield. The two fullbacks attack from deep constantly. Yaya Toure and M'Vila sit in the middle clearing things up and making short passes. M'Vila has licence to go forward and join Silva/Gotze ahead of him in the hole. Silva goes missing at times so I think Gotze is my preferred playmaker who pretty much as much creative freedom as possible. Up front I have Dzeko (looking for someone better) as a central striker who stays in place, holds up the ball and distributes it to Silva and Tevez and Balotelli either side of him. Dzeko is the target man but receives the ball mainly along the floor. Tevez and Balotelli move out to the channels, run from deep and constantly swap places. We're scoring shiteloads of goals and barely conceding any.

Mancini take note. Coming up with tactical masterplans works best when you're avoiding doing other work.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 9
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 8/6/2012 11:28:36 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Still too early to call for me. I reckon there is the fat end of £300 Million still to be spent but I suppose if you have to pick favourites you still have to stay with City who will only be stronger now the squad have won it once.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 10
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 8/6/2012 11:34:25 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Still too early to call for me. I reckon there is the fat end of £300 Million still to be spent but I suppose if you have to pick favourites you still have to stay with City who will only be stronger now the squad have won it once.

Do you think there is any chance that City will be aiming higher this season? i.e. aiming for the Champions League and this might lose them some focus on the league? I know that one criticism of Mancini is his track record in Europe. We've seen most teams in Europe struggle in subsequent league games, particularly if the calendar is not kind to them, for all kinds of reasons including lack of preparation time, fitness, travel, etc. If there is a potential downfall for City it could be this. And despite a strong squad you lose one key player (Vidic for Utd last season would be my example) and it can have a bit impact too.

So, yes I agree favourites. I also agree that the first is tough, but sometimes defending that can be tougher as everyone is now out to beat the champions.

And as you say, still a lot of money to spend (Modric to Utd?), I'm looking forward to it.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 11
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 8/6/2012 11:43:26 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty
Do you think there is any chance that City will be aiming higher this season? i.e. aiming for the Champions League and this might lose them some focus on the league? I know that one criticism of Mancini is his track record in Europe. We've seen most teams in Europe struggle in subsequent league games, particularly if the calendar is not kind to them, for all kinds of reasons including lack of preparation time, fitness, travel, etc. If there is a potential downfall for City it could be this. And despite a strong squad you lose one key player (Vidic for Utd last season would be my example) and it can have a bit impact too.

So, yes I agree favourites. I also agree that the first is tough, but sometimes defending that can be tougher as everyone is now out to beat the champions.

And as you say, still a lot of money to spend (Modric to Utd?), I'm looking forward to it.

Me too, although what I really want to see is Arsenal properly strengthen but that comes and goes every transfer window.

The thing with City is they have a squad depth that no one has had before. I can see them having close to a Champions League team and a league team during the group stages, with the likes of Milner, Johnson, Nasri, Richards, Mario, getting a run out in the league matches while the bigger names are rested.
Alternatively if they just go with the in form players regardless of the match, they could still get to March in the top 2 and in the quarter finals of the CL, with plenty of talent fit to play.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Post #: 12
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 9:23:45 AM   
Sinatra

*Bump

Post #: 13
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 9:28:12 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I think,come towards the near end of the season that we will find out who is challenging and its usually two clubs.
What I have found more interesting is the fight for Premiership survival and the CL places.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 14
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 9:47:34 AM   
Rinc

I posted this in the other thread so thought it best to leave it in here now for posterity:

1. City - best individual players, best team, best squad
2. Utd - not convinced by the defence or the central midfield but the best manager in the business will get the most out of them
3. Arsenal - really like the look of their team even if RVP leaves
4. Chelsea - dodgy defence and don't think much of the manager but some very good forward line

5. Liverpool - 5th only because of other's failings. We played and dominated matches more than our results showed last season and I think that will continue. But we can't be as bad can we. Can we?
6. Newcastle - some fantastic players and good manager
7. no strikers, players who want to leave and weaknesses in defence will be exposed by AVB's style of play

18. Wigan
19. Norwich
20. Southampton

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 15
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 9:59:04 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I posted this in the other thread so thought it best to leave it in here now for posterity:

1. City - best individual players, best team, best squad
2. Utd - not convinced by the defence or the central midfield but the best manager in the business will get the most out of them
3. Arsenal - really like the look of their team even if RVP leaves
4. Chelsea - dodgy defence and don't think much of the manager but some very good forward line

5. Liverpool - 5th only because of other's failings. We played and dominated matches more than our results showed last season and I think that will continue. But we can't be as bad can we. Can we?
6. Newcastle - some fantastic players and good manager
7. no strikers, players who want to leave and weaknesses in defence will be exposed by AVB's style of play

18. Wigan
19. Norwich
20. Southampton

2 - If Vidic, Cleverly and Fletcher are all back then those areas look a lot stronger than last season, but I agree they look a bit weaker than City here - I think the purchase of RvP makes them comparable up front though
4 - Agree again, imo we are waiting around to see if Pep joins them, that makes it a funny season
7 - Modric will be gone and you are right imo about AVB and the defense

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 16
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 10:33:02 AM   
impqueen

City
United
Arsenal

Chelsea? No idea (5th?) Iím not optimistic unless we rapidly strengthen our defence which we havenít and donít appear interested in doing so.

Yes, always.

Post #: 17
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 11:15:29 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

City
United
Arsenal

Chelsea? No idea (5th?) Iím not optimistic unless we rapidly strengthen our defence which we havenít and donít appear interested in doing so.

Do you mean right-back?

We are ok apart from that...

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 18
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 11:48:23 AM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

City
United
Arsenal

Do you mean right-back?

Well we do need a right back but having watched us in pre-season and last weekend, I don't believe we have a strong enough defence.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 19
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 12:10:59 PM   
Brooksy84

Champions - Man Utd (just threw up a little)
Top four - Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal
Relegation - Wigan, Swansea, Southampton
Top scorer - Torres. Yep, him.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 20
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 12:23:06 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

quote:

City
United
Arsenal

Do you mean right-back?

Well we do need a right back but having watched us in pre-season and last weekend, I don't believe we have a strong enough defence.

I didn't see the Charity Shield or any of your pre-season defeats. But my observation from last year was that it is the "Makelele" role you are stuggling with. Obi Mikel just only seems up to it 1 game in 3 and another one of those games he can be really poor. And Essien I'm afraid has just turned into a liability. So, I don't know if your defense is so bad, its the cover in front of them that imo lacks and invites the opposition on. What happened to Joao Moutinho? I thought he would be filling this role.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 21
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 12:25:18 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Champions: City
Champs League: Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea

Relegated: Norwich, Wigan, Reading

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 22
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 1:01:28 PM   
Rinc

quote:

I didn't see the Charity Shield or any of your pre-season defeats. But my observation from last year was that it is the "Makelele" role you are stuggling with. Obi Mikel just only seems up to it 1 game in 3 and another one of those games he can be really poor. And Essien I'm afraid has just turned into a liability. So, I don't know if your defense is so bad, its the cover in front of them that imo lacks and invites the opposition on. What happened to Joao Moutinho? I thought he would be filling this role.

This.

Chelsea lack a quality covering midfielder and it has a big impact on their team. In addition though they need a right back, Terry is getting worse, Luiz improved but is still a mistake waiting to happen and for half of last season Cole wasn't at his usual standard. Chelsea need a RB, CB and DM imo.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 23
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 1:14:46 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Luis could be that player for them, although I still really like Essien if he stays fit.

I've put Chelsea in 4th but depending on their start it might be a stretch, I just don't have any confidence in the manager.
You just think with that attacking talent, and a steady back three, (right back still a problem) they have to be pushing.
But equally if Torres doesn't fire, Hazzard and Oscar take a while to settle they could be well off the pace again early on.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 16/8/2012 1:16:29 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 24
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 1:16:35 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Surprised no one has WHU to go down. Do we really think Sam is that good at PL survival, cos I'm not sure the team is all that.

Post #: 25
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 1:18:10 PM   
Scott_

Oriol Romeu looked impressive at the start of last season didn't he? He stood out in the opening few games from what I remember anyway. He could be the guy for Chelsea in that Makelele role.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 26
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 1:30:07 PM   
Harry Lime

My predictions:-

01. Manchester City
02. Chelsea
03. Manchester Utd
04. Arsenal
05. Everton
06. Tottenham Hotspur
-----------------------------
16. Reading
17. Norwich City
18. Aston Villa
19. Swansea City
20. West Ham Utd

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

Post #: 27
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 1:31:25 PM   
Harry Lime

Are we doing are usual bet, Rinc?

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 28
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 1:34:43 PM   
Rinc

I was just going to post the same thing Harry. Yes indeed, I need revenge after last season.

quote:

Surprised no one has WHU to go down. Do we really think Sam is that good at PL survival, cos I'm not sure the team is all that.

Sam always got his teams to safety and with the PL experience in the WH squad I think they'll be fine.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

I've put Chelsea in 4th but depending on their start it might be a stretch, I just don't have any confidence in the manager.
You just think with that attacking talent, and a steady back three, (right back still a problem) they have to be pushing.
But equally if Torres doesn't fire, Hazzard and Oscar take a while to settle they could be well off the pace again early on.

Yeah you're right, they could get off to a bad start. No one knows how the new guys will settle, if Torres will start scoring and if Di Matteo can improve on his poor PL record last season. I still think they've got too much for the teams below them though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 29
RE: Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2012 1:39:48 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

1.Manchester City
2.Manchester United
3.Arsenal
4.Chelsea
5.Liverpool
6.Tottenham
============================
18.Wigan
19.Reading
20.Southampton

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Premier League 2012-2013 Results & Discussion Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI