Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films forever?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films forever? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films for... - 11/6/2012 4:46:28 PM   
st3veebee

Here's another opinion then: from the good doctor Kermode. He says that if a film is praised for the background detail or landscape being beautiful: that is just code for it being boring. If you aren't pay ing attention to the characters rimaril, surely the film isn't engaging you enough?

And should every film be studied the same way? Should I take the same approach to watching Back to the Future as 2001?

(Btw, I'm paraphrasing Kermode of course, I think it's in his first book.)

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 31
RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films for... - 11/6/2012 7:53:53 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Here's another opinion then: from the good doctor Kermode. He says that if a film is praised for the background detail or landscape being beautiful: that is just code for it being boring. If you aren't pay ing attention to the characters rimaril, surely the film isn't engaging you enough?

Not sure how this relates to the initial point, but yes, a pretty looking dull film is still a dull film.

On a related point I don't think all films should be judged primarily on character tho, as that implies that film is solely about narrative and character, which it isn't.

quote:

And should every film be studied the same way? Should I take the same approach to watching Back to the Future as 2001?

It depends on the theoretical approach adopted by the student. I approach all films from the point of view as an auteurist, as thats the theoretical approach I've adopted. So, I'd consider BTTF as a work by Robert Zemeckis in the same way that I'd approach 2001 as a film within the Stanley Kubrick filmography. Different people have different schools of thought tho. Ultimately its about approaching a film how you want to.

It's interesting that you're quoting Kermode btw, who is of course an academic, and whose work is driven by an academic mindset. He's a great example of someone who makes film academia accessible (and acceptable) to the masses. Kinda like how someone like Bryan Cox does with science, or how Stephen Fry does with just about everything.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 11/6/2012 7:57:11 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 32
RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films for... - 12/6/2012 3:20:28 PM   
st3veebee

Just reading back over my posts I realise I was slightly drifting off my original point (I have a habit of doing that).

Interestingly enough I just flicked through the Reasons I love cinema thread and I would say that most of the posts are either character/musical/narrative driven. I guess what I originally meant with this thread was that the absolute best elements of cinema are just the simple images/lines/songs/sounds that you really can't explain as to why they are so incredible, and if you can, you realise how simple the reason is that you love them.

Finding out more information on films such as background information, on set stories/production issues and the evolution of the idea to the final film can add to your appreciation of a film but I think that overthinking as to why certain moments in film are so fantastic is irrelevant. Something primal just resonates with the viewer, and I just don't want to compromise that.

(Also the idea of intellectual regurgitating robots telling me exactly why I love a particular moment in a film, which has happened in my class, does my head in..|I do love certain parts of the course obviously though!)

Latest Films:

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 33
RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films for... - 12/6/2012 11:32:07 PM   
adambatman82

The one thing that has almost infringed upon my viewing of certain films is the old "never meet your heroes" adage. On the festival circuit last year one director in particular was a real bastard, it was actually rather heartbreaking to be treated that way by someone I formerly admired very much, but ultimately the work stood for itself when it came to evaluating it, and the film being represented by the horrible director still made it in to my top ten of the year. It works the other way too, in that I'm reluctant to praise highly the films with which I've had a great experience with the director or cast of (Black Swan, A Dangerous Method, anything with George Clooney involved).

At the top of the weird pile for me sits one of the New Hollywood guys: I'm a massive fan of his work, but he's sued a really good friend of mine several times now, and I'm struggling to see beyond that in a way. He hasn't made a film for a while now, and not since all this shit really kicked off, but I'm worried about how I'll respond to his upcoming film (which I'm really eager to see still).

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 34
RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films for... - 13/6/2012 10:31:35 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

The one thing that has almost infringed upon my viewing of certain films is the old "never meet your heroes" adage. On the festival circuit last year one director in particular was a real bastard, it was actually rather heartbreaking to be treated that way by someone I formerly admired very much, but ultimately the work stood for itself when it came to evaluating it, and the film being represented by the horrible director still made it in to my top ten of the year. It works the other way too, in that I'm reluctant to praise highly the films with which I've had a great experience with the director or cast of (Black Swan, A Dangerous Method, anything with George Clooney involved).

At the top of the weird pile for me sits one of the New Hollywood guys: I'm a massive fan of his work, but he's sued a really good friend of mine several times now, and I'm struggling to see beyond that in a way. He hasn't made a film for a while now, and not since all this shit really kicked off, but I'm worried about how I'll respond to his upcoming film (which I'm really eager to see still).

Names; we want NAMES!!

Latest Films:

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 35
RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films for... - 13/6/2012 9:05:03 PM   
OldGrey

I think there are some valid points here, but for me I think viewing a film is quite a personal experience. For me, a film should fulfil it's most basic purpose - it should tell a story and tell it well. I can forgive a film a lot if it tells a good story.
It may well be that the film has exceptional elements, whatever they may be, and they will hopefully add to the overall experience of the film. I find that while the craft of film making itself is deeply interesting, I am a simple soul who is useless at multi tasking so if I start sectioning and seperating a film to inspect it's integral parts, it looses the magic for me. I have to fully engage and become totally involved to get the magic - I know, just selfish. . . . .
If your lucky enough to be able to both immerse yourself into the magical experience of a film and deconstruct it then hat's off to you. If I was able to do so without loosing the magic, I would love to give it a go.
I just don't have the ability, also I don't think I fit the type according to this post, as I am not a pony tail wearing, wanking, arsehole, oooh you cynical lot you

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 36
RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films for... - 18/6/2012 1:20:43 PM   
st3veebee

Went and saw Jaws with my film group last Friday, and bloody loved it of course, but noticed anoother event upon leaving. We were all discussing certain scenes and tryin gto incorporate some of the original Novel ideas on what the Shark symbolises in this compared the that and yadda yadda (was quite interesting in fairness, and we had started on this before it started) when a boy and his father walked by;

Dad: " Love that film, what did ya think?"

Boy ( after a few seconds, almost too exicted to make out words) "I...........I think it's my favourite film"

The dad just smiled.

Latest Films:

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 37
RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films for... - 18/6/2012 1:26:34 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Went and saw Jaws with my film group last Friday, and bloody loved it of course, but noticed anoother event upon leaving. We were all discussing certain scenes and tryin gto incorporate some of the original Novel ideas on what the Shark symbolises in this compared the that and yadda yadda (was quite interesting in fairness, and we had started on this before it started) when a boy and his father walked by;

Dad: " Love that film, what did ya think?"

Boy ( after a few seconds, almost too exicted to make out words) "I...........I think it's my favourite film"

The dad just smiled.

Sounds abit young to see Jaws.
He'd be having nightmares tonight.HAHAHAHA.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 18/6/2012 1:46:59 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 38
RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films for... - 18/6/2012 2:20:27 PM   
st3veebee

I guess he could have been around 12. Never even occurred to me as i saw Jaws when I was about 6! Still don't like the sea.....

Latest Films:

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: A career in film: destroying the magic of films forever? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI