Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 19/6/2008 6:26:35 PM   
Filmfan 2

Need help, peeps.

I recently had to reinstall CS3 and when I try and open .avi files into it to make .gif's, it's telling me that it is unable to open it because it's not the right kind of document.

Imageready is integrated into the main PS now and I haven't had this problem before. Thoughts?

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 91
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 30/6/2008 3:02:12 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

Need help, peeps.

I recently had to reinstall CS3 and when I try and open .avi files into it to make .gif's, it's telling me that it is unable to open it because it's not the right kind of document.

Imageready is integrated into the main PS now and I haven't had this problem before. Thoughts?

Bit of a late reply on this question but I was under the impression that Adobe stopped packaging ImageReady with PS?

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 92
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 7/7/2008 12:00:28 PM   
igotnewlegs

I've made my first avatar (see left) using a plug-in on firefox to download youtube clips, Photoshop, and GIF animator but can anyone tell me if there's an easier way to a) get each frame into photoshop (I currently print screen after playing in VLC player) and b) how to export or save each frame or layer from photoshop without first copying it and then saving each one individually?

Also, playing it in VLC is a pain in the arse as you can't forwad it frame by frame. Anyone else know which players will do this considering I've tried quicktime, wmp and winamp - all of which won't play the file (may be a codec problem but I'm pretty up to date)?

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 93
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 31/7/2008 7:24:51 PM   
Manchurian candidate

I'm downloading a trial of photoshop. I should be able to do it myself after that now?

No imageready. Bugger. Does anyone know of any other free software for this?

< Message edited by Manchurian candidate -- 31/7/2008 7:46:13 PM >

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

Post #: 94
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 4/8/2008 3:25:35 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manchurian candidate

I'm downloading a trial of photoshop. I should be able to do it myself after that now?

Try GIF animator. Its not free but the trial is good for 30 animations.

The technique I'm using is fairly good if not 100% accurate for getting screen grabs of the right frame. So to reiterate:

• Use a plugin on firfox to grab the youtube clip (I can provide the name if you want but I'm at work at the mo and can't remeber it)
  • Play resulting AVI (or any AVI) in VLC.
  • Grab each frame you want by slowing the clip down and using the space bar to pause, unpause (it takes a little practice to get it right) and then screengrab (I set a key to do this in the options). I can't play these converted youtube clips in any other player but VLC's inbuilt screengrab is quality.
  • Open all the jpgs in photoshop all in the same project so you have multiple layers.
  • Allign all the layers (I use snap-to to achieve this)
  • Crop and edit the size to 100x100
  • Save each layer seperately naming it '1' to the last number (I save it as a .png as this seems to decrease the file size)
  • Get yourself GIF animator from www.gif-animator.com the trial version is good for 30 projects, which should be enough for this type of usuage.
  • Open up all your saved pngs or jps in that application and fiddle about till you've got an animation.

I discovered all this for myself so I'm sure there's an easier way. With this technique you too can create great avatars like my 'garbage day' one I had.

Woody Allen

Douglas Adams

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 95
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 4/8/2008 4:00:28 PM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs

quote:

The technique I'm using is fairly good if not 100% accurate for getting screen grabs of the right frame. So to reiterate:

• Use a plugin on firfox to grab the youtube clip (I can provide the name if you want but I'm at work at the mo and can't remeber it)
    all this for myself so I'm sure there's an easier way. With this technique you too can create great avatars like my 'garbage day' one I had.

Thanks, but do you know of one for Macs?

And also what is VLC?

< Message edited by Manchurian candidate -- 4/8/2008 4:10:27 PM >

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

Post #: 96
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 4/8/2008 4:07:58 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs

quote:

all this for myself so I'm sure there's an easier way. With this technique you too can create great avatars like my 'garbage day' one I had.

Nope. Sorry :(

Woody Allen

Douglas Adams

Post #: 97
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 4/8/2008 4:23:50 PM   
Manchurian candidate

Okay. Thanks. What's a VLC?

Lyndon B. Johnson
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

Post #: 98
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 4/8/2008 4:35:06 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

Okay. Thanks. What's a VLC?

Oh yeah, VLC is Video Lan Player. It plays almost all types of video (primairly built as a lan player - streams and the like). Its probably my favourite video player because it does almost everything you could want a video player to do. Also, where other players fail (for instance they won't play the converted youtube AVIs) this one almost always delivers.

And now it sounds like I'm advertising it. Still, its great for screengrabs - I don't know any other players that let you do that.

Woody Allen

Douglas Adams

Post #: 99
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 4/8/2008 5:08:13 PM   
Manchurian candidate

Okay thanks for your help.

I'm a bit crap at this sadly. But the responsibility in no small part rests on the shoulders of my Mac.

Lyndon B. Johnson
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

Post #: 100
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 8/4/2009 2:33:33 PM   
Cruisecontroller

What is the simplest way to make an animated avatar apart from asking one of you to do it? It seems very complicated surely there is a simpler way say you paste a link to a clip in a movie that you want to use using whatever program makes these things and it does it for you.....? No?

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 101
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 18/3/2011 7:36:09 PM   
Spaldron

Ok ive found a really simple way of making avatars. First you need a youtube downloader plugin for which ever browser your using, im on Chrome and not had any problems so far. Next you'll need a video editing programme like windows movie maker like im using or any other half decent software.

Download your chosen clip from youtube, edit and resize it to the required parameters and save it. Now this is where it used to get tricky, converting it to gif. Theres plenty of programmes to do this but they all cost. But I stumbled upon a website that does it for you free. Go to gifninja.com, upload your clip, convert it and save. All you do next is copy the URL and paste it to you profile and hey presto. Easy avatar without all the complications.

Simples.

P.S. Be sure not to get image size confused with dimensions as I did. Basically make sure you're no more than 150k.

Edit: Since my last post iv'e discovered a new site called Lunapic. This is a really great site as it allows you to resize, crop and animate images. Its a lot better than gifninja so use this instead. Best thing to do is save your image in photobucket as its more secure there.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 2/5/2011 6:30:44 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 102
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 25/5/2012 10:44:27 AM   
TwistedAnimator

Yep, this is why I steal all of mine :)

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 103
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 30/7/2012 6:05:45 PM   
donethinking

I'm using a youtube downloader plugin to get the clip and then edit with Sony vegas, then resize/ crop /animate with GIMP 2.8 to make the gif ....GIMP is a bit like Photoshop except its FREE
Next upload to photobucket

(in reply to TwistedAnimator)
Post #: 104
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 12/5/2013 2:59:01 AM   
rich

1) Tumblr for desired subject matter

2) http://www.online-image-editor.com/

3) ? ? ?

4) Profit

Meanwhile...

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 105
RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? - 22/7/2013 12:36:21 AM   
elab49

RUles are in the EMpire Online subforum - limit is 150kb.

You have to link to another site anyway - Empire doesn't host avatars

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 106
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> RE: What's Your Method Of Making Avatars? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI