Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Yet Another JLA rumour

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Yet Another JLA rumour Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yet Another JLA rumour - 6/6/2012 9:23:01 AM   
Russ Whitfield

Another filmic website - let's call it "Lair of Nerds" and another famous movie magazine (the de facto one in the US) are saying that Will Beall has been hired to pen draft #1 of a JLA movie.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/
Post #: 1
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 12/6/2012 5:13:03 PM   
Rob

Well it's pretty much been confirmed now.

I've read a lot of opinions about a JLA movie and the general consensus seems to be pretty negative. I don't get that. The Avengers is the third highest grossing film of all time, was bloody great and so why can't a Justice League movie work?

Some complaints are;

Batman is too realistic and street level - so were Black Widow and Hawkeye.
Superman and Wonder Woman are too powerful - they don't have to be and if they are just ensure that the villain (Darkseid) is equally powerful.
Aquaman is too cr*p - actually he's pretty damn awesome, certainly in the comics at the moment.

I'm not saying that it will automatically be a success but the Avengers proved it can be done and if Warner Bros learn from that and eradicate the mistakes of something like Green Lantern then there's no reason it can't succeed. The characters are must as entertaining as anything Marvel has to offer in my opinion.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 2
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 12/6/2012 6:40:35 PM   
Russ Whitfield

Hi Rob - I googled the news, can't see confirmation, can you link me?
Cheers

Russ

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 3
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 12/6/2012 7:45:53 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Well it's pretty much been confirmed now.

I've read a lot of opinions about a JLA movie and the general consensus seems to be pretty negative. I don't get that. The Avengers is the third highest grossing film of all time, was bloody great and so why can't a Justice League movie work?

Some complaints are;

Batman is too realistic and street level - so were Black Widow and Hawkeye.
Superman and Wonder Woman are too powerful - they don't have to be and if they are just ensure that the villain (Darkseid) is equally powerful.
Aquaman is too cr*p - actually he's pretty damn awesome, certainly in the comics at the moment.

I'm not saying that it will automatically be a success but the Avengers proved it can be done and if Warner Bros learn from that and eradicate the mistakes of something like Green Lantern then there's no reason it can't succeed. The characters are must as entertaining as anything Marvel has to offer in my opinion.

Well said, mate - totally agree.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 4
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 13/6/2012 10:42:14 AM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

Hi Rob - I googled the news, can't see confirmation, can you link me?
Cheers

Russ

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118055082

It's probably all from the same rumour mill but to my mind too many credible sources (Variety, Empire, SHH) are reporting it for it not to be true. Also Mark Millar has commented saying that the early draft / synopsis is really impressive. Before we get too excited though - remember this is Mark Millar we're talking about!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 5
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 13/6/2012 11:42:49 AM   
sharkboy

Personally, I'd love to see a JLA movie.  I've generally enjoyed the title more than the Avengers (more love for the main characters probably contributes to this).  And overall, I agree completely with how you address the complaints about the characters.  There are plenty of powerful threats out there that will tax even our favourite Kryptonian - Eclipso springs to mind straight away, as well as the aforementioned Darkseid.  Or what about the evil JLA from the parallel earth?

But, I think it's a bit disingenuous to compare it with that other super-team success.  For a start, Avengers has 4 direct (and one indirect) tie-in movies, so (a) you don't have to spend too much time on backstory and can just get straight into the action), and (b) most moviegoers, even if not comic fans, will be at least partly familiar with the main characters.  What do you have with JLA?  Assuming the "classic" line-up of Supes, Batman, WW, Flash, GL and Aquaman, you'll have (in recent years) Man of Steel and Nolan's trilogy (plus enough immersion in pop culture) to familiarise the moviegoers with the first two.  Outside of that, what is there?  A pretty dire and unsuccessful GL movie and an 70's TV show about Wonder Woman that apart from the costume bore little connection to the title as it is now.  I'd bet if you asked the average moviegoer to describe Flash, you'd be more likely to get a rendition of the Queen theme song from Flash Gordon than a reference to the scarlet speedster.  If you decide to move away from the classic line-up, then you're up against even more obscure characters.

Then there's Batman himself.  Nolan's whole trilogy has been sold as a complete beginning-to-end story, so won't it be a bit confusing if he's suddenly back, front and centre, in a JLA movie?  Even then, will we get Nolan's Batman or yet another reinvention of the character?

If we're going to have more Dark Knight, I'd much rather see a World's Finest movie first that at least introduces some of the other characters before moving on to the big JLA team movie.  Or what about a 1930s/40s-set JSA instead?  If you've got to have obscure characters, why not change the setting at the same time?  How about the JSA tale told in flashback to a newly-formed modern iteration of the group by Alan Scott or Jay Garrick, ending with the formation of the new Robinson-era JSA? 

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 6
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 13/6/2012 2:38:07 PM   
Russ Whitfield

thanks!

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 7
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 13/6/2012 3:25:03 PM   
Russ Whitfield

They'd probably have J'onn J'onzz or the Flash as opposed to Aquaman. I'm just thinking from a story-telling perspective. If you're going to have Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, I'd guess that the threat would have to from someone like Darkseid - or at ANother intergalactic conqueror. Sure, Batman could use his wits to point out the flaw in Darkseid's plans and beat up para-demons, but what would Aquaman have to do?

That said, I've not read the '52 version of Aquaman.

www.i-spimovie.com/

Post #: 8
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 13/6/2012 9:46:47 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Then there's Batman himself.  Nolan's whole trilogy has been sold as a complete beginning-to-end story, so won't it be a bit confusing if he's suddenly back, front and centre, in a JLA movie?  Even then, will we get Nolan's Batman or yet another reinvention of the character?

It's pretty clear we'll be getting a new Bats - it's not any more confusing than getting Kilmer in post-Burton IMO.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 26/6/2012 1:14:31 PM   
Rob

Aquaman's quality, especially in the New 52.

My dream line up would simply be the big seven:

Bats
Superman
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Flash
Aquaman
Martian Manhunter

Bizarrely out of all of them I'd be most interested to see Wonder Woman and J'onn. I think if done correctly Wonder Woman could be brilliant..the best parts of Black Widow meets Superman. And J'onn is just inherently awesome...including his love of Oreo's.

I just hope they take their time, get the script right and don't just try and cash in on the success of the Avengers. I'm very much more of a DC man but I have the utmost respect for how Marvel handled their franchise. They were patient, kept a tight rein on things and it resulted in the Avengers which was just brilliant fun.

EDIT:

Also and I've only just thought this...did Marvel ever explicitly state that with Iron Man they were planning on building towards the Avengers? I know the after credits scene let the cat out of the bag but did they ever say "this is our plan". The only reason I ask is because it wouldn't be too far fetched for DC to do something similar at the end of Man of Steel. I don't think it will happen but still...

< Message edited by Rob -- 26/6/2012 1:22:17 PM >

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 10
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 26/6/2012 1:39:40 PM   
The Hooded Man

Didn't Armie Hammer get cast as Batman in George Miller's aborted JLA project, I wouldn't be surprised if that was picked off the shelf.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 11
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 26/6/2012 2:18:16 PM   
Rob

Yeah he did - and I remember thinking who the f*ck is Armie Hammer! He's a good actor but not sure he's right for Batman.

Common was also cast as Green Lantern (John Stewart) which I actually think would have been awesome.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 12
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 26/6/2012 4:45:46 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Rather see Black Canary or HawkGirl than Aquaman otherwise it'd be too Macho.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 13
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 26/6/2012 4:51:48 PM   
Discodez

Maybe the story could start with Joker escaping from Arkham, crippling Barbara Gordon (ala the Killing Joke) and her becoming Oracle..... No? Just a thought

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 14
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 26/6/2012 8:23:18 PM   
fuzzy

Annoying thing about putting a JLA movie together is as DC has been owned by WB for years (mid 70s methinks), they've had plenty of opportunity to do something long before now as the copyright/ownership issues that Marvel has with their characters on film, have never been an issue. Instead they've milked their big 2 characters for all their worth since the success of Superman the Movie, which sadly has been to the detriment of their secondary and lesser known characters. Don't get me wrong, the Superman and Batman films (for the most part) have been some of the most memorable cinema of the last 30+ years, but I can't help thinking they've missed their chance in making the likes of GL, Aquaman and Flash the household names they deserve to be. Anything now just seems like riding on the coat tails of Marvel, when it's DC that should have been leading the way with their own universe of Superheroes years ago.

< Message edited by fuzzy -- 26/6/2012 8:25:57 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 26/6/2012 10:05:47 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Common was also cast as Green Lantern (John Stewart) which I actually think would have been awesome.

I still think they should have just made a Green Lantern film with the John Stewart GL - if only to watch fanboy heads explode.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 16
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 1/7/2012 2:55:05 PM   
Beno

This movie will only ever work as a high end CGI Animation featuring a well known cast of voices who also double as motion capture to the Heroes - FACT!

The public would scoff at the idea of another 'instant' team up featuring such icons as Batman and Superman - FACT!

Im not being smarmy here or defeatest but simply put these are my honest opinions.

I have been a comic book fan since the early 70s and have some 1960s X Men comics hidden away that i will never sell nor let anyone touch. So you could say im a 'fan' and would like nothing more than see the JLA made. I am also a movie fan and have a reasonable empathy for what should be a good movie.
Marvel have been very smart in giving us a slow burn over the last few years that steadily creeped to the first climax that was The Avengers. Along the way Downey Jnr made many doubters love Superheroes which for me has been a major success factor. DC simply put dont have anything like Downey Jnr to pull off something similar - not yet anyway.
To recreate what Marvel have done DC would have to recreate what Marvel have done with the 'slow burn'.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 17
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 1/7/2012 3:19:53 PM   
rich

There will be no "instant" team up - Batman has to run it's course with the new movie later in the year, and Superman has to regain popularity, which is dependant on the Man of Steel being well received. Assuming those work out to great success, it then leaves the pre-production nightmare of figuring how this will work and the movie looking at release in what 2014 at the earliest.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 18
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 2/7/2012 9:40:26 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Perhaps they should test the water first & try a Teen Titans movie with the younger sidekicks?

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 19
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 2/7/2012 9:43:16 AM   
Russ Whitfield

I think - for the DC faithful at least - a Justice League movie would be great. But would it be better is actually getting the main properties sorted out first? We can no longer reference Bale's Bats - he's gone after this movie. So we're in a brave new (52) world.

It's really up to Snyder and Goyer, isn't it? Man of Steel really has to deliver. If it does, I don't see that we need to jump into the JLA movie. Wonder Woman really needs a movie or television show that does her justice; I know that Green Lantern.wasn't well received, but I thought it was OK. Not brilliant but not as crap as I'd been led too believe, but I'm in a minority - so maybe a reboot is in order. We know that Batman is starting again, and like, Wondy, the Flash really needs a decent vehicle - though I realise that he doesn't literally need a vehicle cos he's the Flash.

So - Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern and The Flash really are all franchise bait if they're done right. I can't honestly understand why Wonder Woman has been so fraught with screw ups... the Animated Movie was fabulous and made good use of her mythological background, this really is an easy win for an origin movie.

DC does Animated Movies so well. Characterisation, plot and feel are all there: there's rarely anything in DCAU that gets the fanboys slavering with hatred... so why can't the two Warner divisions get their heads together. Pay Bruce Timm a bundle of cash to oversee the live action stuff. The man (and his team of writers and directors) totally understand the DC properties: I'd be made up if the news that they were in talks over a Wondy or Flash live action picture.

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 20
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 5/7/2012 2:44:50 AM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

This movie will only ever work as a high end CGI Animation featuring a well known cast of voices who also double as motion capture to the Heroes - FACT!

I agree, they should do it animated and seperate to the live action movies. Man of Steel is supposed to be a stand-alone thing so there might be a problem using that Superman. If you've got the Batman and Lantern from their own respective movies and some new Superman we've never seen, its just gets a bit weird. Using animation would help reinforce that this is a seperate reality from the live action movies. Plus you can get a bit more comic book-ish with animation.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 21
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 5/7/2012 9:21:35 AM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

The public would scoff at the idea of another 'instant' team up featuring such icons as Batman and Superman - FACT!

Im not being smarmy here or defeatest but simply put these are my honest opinions.

I have been a comic book fan since the early 70s and have some 1960s X Men comics hidden away that i will never sell nor let anyone touch. So you could say im a 'fan' and would like nothing more than see the JLA made. I am also a movie fan and have a reasonable empathy for what should be a good movie.
Marvel have been very smart in giving us a slow burn over the last few years that steadily creeped to the first climax that was The Avengers. Along the way Downey Jnr made many doubters love Superheroes which for me has been a major success factor. DC simply put dont have anything like Downey Jnr to pull off something similar - not yet anyway.
To recreate what Marvel have done DC would have to recreate what Marvel have done with the 'slow burn'.

If you are only offering "honest opinions" then stop putting FACT! after every point you make, it's annoying and makes you look like a knob end.

I agree that Marvel have been quite clever in the way the've put the Avengers together and see no reason why DC and WB couldn't do the same with JLA, but I also feel that they've already shot themselves in the foot buy not letting Joss Whedon do his Wonder Woman movie (and him going and doing Avengers) and by casting the eternally smug looking twunt Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern, and then completely ballsing up the Green Lantern film. If they are going to do JLA now they really need to start from scratch again.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 22
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 5/7/2012 10:07:49 AM   
jobloffski

My suggestion:

Start with a JLA movie rather than a series of Lead Ins, because it would take years to get a JLA movie otherwise, during which time other Avengers films would have happened along with lots of individual hero films, meaning DC looking like bigger Johnny-come lately to the party chumps than they need to, with the party possibly already winding down, because reardless of the differences between team members, there's only so much superhero team up action people can take before the non comic book nerd audience starts thinkig same old, same old.

Suggested plot structure:

Have the JLA form informally over the course of the film. Each of the heros is following their own investigation, which leads them to encounter other heroes along the way, because their investigation is leading them to a plot cooked up by a team of baddies from their respective story universes.

Start the film as though its a Superman or Batman film (the most recognisable figures for the mass audience) then have one encounter the other as their investigations lead them to meet. Have these two as the core of the film to aid audience identification, with other heroes encountered along the way to a final showdown with the baddie league.

This keeps audience familiarity with characters to a maximum, keeps effects budget down (because until the latter part of the film not all herows are in the story) and allows the film to start small, then exponentially grow. Introducing heroes this way allows the risk (and time factor) involved in making a team up film to be minimised and whichever characters work best in the team up can then have an origin film.

Tease, with a Batman, Superman dominated JLA leave people wanting more, instead of taking around five years to get to the point Marvel are at now, with every lead in film for an untested character a potential DISASTER given the amount of origin films there have been over the last five years and the potential for people to simply be dog sick of such a story being told over and over and over again (for non fans, the basics of origin stories are very, very, very, repetitive).

More to the point, DC playing catch up with Marvel leaves them open to very negative things for the JLA property:

-Copying Marvel's strategy leaves the rival company to be able to continually PR 'They're copying us, therefore we must be better

-Playing catch up means Marvel will see what DC put on the screen, and play one-upmanship, outgunning (or at least seeking to outgun) DC's every move and diluting what what DC are going for, because they'll have to be trying to be more impressive than Marvel, but anywhere it seems the JLA may go, The Avengers can get there first, they're already up and running, and may have nabbed all the best places a team up movie can go in terms of threats and team dynamics/tensions first.

To recap: dive straight into a JLA movie, because otherwise, the appeal for such a property and the places it can go will inevitably be less in five or more years because the concept will be old news and the JLA would appear to many to be just another overblown team up slugfest. Better to spend up to 300m on an epic team origin movie with room for future character exploitation than spend five years or more, at least five times as much money, to arrive at a party as a cool guest, but after all the best pickings have been nabbed, and have Marvel crow about that forever.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 23
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 5/7/2012 12:57:34 PM   
Discodez

Terrific ideas there Jobloffski. Having a Batman/Superman led movie really is the best way forward. As I said in other threads, I doubt anyone besides comic book fans would be interested in a Batman/Superman free JLA film anyway.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 24
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 5/7/2012 2:59:30 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Trouble with new 52 is both Bats & GL weirdly remained the same?

Post #: 25
RE: Yet Another JLA rumour - 5/7/2012 3:06:43 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Always thought the problem with DC is Warners like what was said earlier their Animated movies are excellent it's when it comes to the actual live movies where they start taking over & unless you have someone as strong as Nolan at the wheel who'll stand up to them (NO 3D OR DIGITAL CAMERAS!) it's never going to work out.
I bet Martin Campbell had never even heard of Green Lantern before being given the script.

Post #: 26
Justice League - 27/11/2012 11:59:22 AM   
Rob

So more rumours abound and, as other have mentioned in the Man of Steel / Future Batman film threads, they centre on the possibility of the JGL playing the Dark Knight in the Justice League movie.

I'm really excited for a Justice League film but Warner Brothers don't really seem to have a fully formed plan. In my mind it has to be Bruce Wayne as Batman in the film so the talk of JGL worries me slightly. The Nolan trilogy operates in it's own universe and given how Rises ended shouldn't be in the same continuity as the Man of Steel or a Justice League movie. I think introducing Batman at the end of the Superman film could be too confusing. Why not make it Wonder Woman?

Post #: 27
RE: Justice League - 27/11/2012 1:58:34 PM   
Russ Whitfield

Why not indeed. I cannot understand why Wonder Woman has proven so hard to translate to the big (or small) screen. I don't buy the "she doesn't have an iconic rogues gallery" line one little bit. Wonder Woman Origin Movie should be able to type itself!

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 28
RE: Justice League - 27/11/2012 5:00:13 PM   
Ghidorah

Adapting Justic League movie to the big screen is asking for trouble. I understand why DC are doing this to mimic Marvel success with the Avenger movie. The problem is while both Avengers and JL are super heroes teaming up but both are handled differently in their comic book universe. The Avengers are an inferior force to the Justice League and Superman alone would defeat the Avengers. Most Avengers has enchance abilities and not super powerful like a lot of the JL members are. This makes JL far less realistic than the Avengers because how many villains would be able to go toe to toe with them without the farfetch bullshit. Not many.

The second problem facing the Justice League movie is a lack of good source material. Any good source material like the white martians or Darksied can't be use unless DC want to rip Marvel for ripping them off.

The third problem is this is going to be an orign story for Batman, Wonderwoman, Flash, Marstian and maybe a few others. It also need to explain how they all meet up, why the meet up and who they are going to face.

The fourth problem is the villain or villains they will be facing. The ones I would go for are already done in the Avengers movie. This leave mind controlling starfishes and a newly created creature behind it. At least it gives Batman something to do. The other option is Cadmus or Savage fear for safety of the US because Super heroes and villians are running loose. They have no control over the situation and create multiple Amazos to hunt them down. These Amazos are enchanced Martian DNA because Cadmus/Savage captured the Martian. The heroes goes underground and team up to take down Cadmus/Savage and the out control Amazos.

The best option are the writers to do their own thing and ignore everything except the basic source materials from the solo outings. Then create brand new villains who are aliens and very powerful. Their activities need to cause the DC heroes to work together to take them down.

Post #: 29
RE: Justice League - 1/12/2012 6:24:11 PM   
endjinnoil

I always felt the JLA dynamic worked best when there was a level of animosity between Batman & Superman, historically the leaders of the group. Most of the members of the JLA have a similar outlook to Superman, whereas Batman is much more black & white in his view, and tended to have his own shadowy agenda.

Setting the story in the 40's would give a better dynamic. All the "super" characters would still be impressive, but Batman, with his high intelligence and advanced tech, would sit right up there with them. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work as a modern story, but I feel that it would be perhaps more difficult to explain Batman's prominence in the group.

Maybe the story could have Batman as a more background figure, manipulating events towards a preplanned conclusion, a device used in many of his comic based adventures.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Yet Another JLA rumour Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI