Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Warners Hires New Justice League Writer

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Warners Hires New Justice League Writer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warners Hires New Justice League Writer - 6/6/2012 7:47:01 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
About that - 6/6/2012 7:47:01 AM   
acer7

Why cany Nolan do it? He would be a better choice.

< Message edited by acer7 -- 6/6/2012 7:55:28 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
hello - 6/6/2012 7:47:18 AM   
acer7

Its not hard to write a comic book movie... Pick up a comic book and start reading. Its a long running successful series because of the story. It does not need changing. If you change the story you mess things up and piss a lot of people off. Why do you think the spidermans, first 3xmen, green lantern, thor, ghost rider all sucked. Because they diverted from the original one. We are tired of garbage comic book movies. The avengers, batman, xmen first class, and xmen origins wolverine. They all got outstanding reviews and ticket sales. They stuck to the majority of the original story. Please dont screw up Justice Leauge.

< Message edited by acer7 -- 6/6/2012 7:50:54 AM >

Post #: 3
Scales of Justice - 6/6/2012 8:21:39 AM   
BenTramer

@acer7 I agree with you. These heroes have decades of backstory in the comics, all the mythology is there and smart adaptations always pay heed to that. What isn't easy is writing an ensemble movie with many characters, The Avengers got the balance right where movies like X-Men didn't.

Post #: 4
RE: Scales of Justice - 6/6/2012 8:40:08 AM   
acer7

Very well said Ben. And please dont cast actors that have already been casted as a superhero in another series. Example ryan rynolds as green lantern when he was already casted as deadpool. Example Chris Evans as Captian America when he was already casted as the Human Torch. Even if they dont plan on making sequels. It really confuses and upsets some people. Not to mention a total lack of effort from the casting director.

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 5
RE: Scales of Justice - 6/6/2012 9:22:50 AM   
DMonkey77

Well let's hope he's read Jim Kruegers "Justice" or even Geoff John "Origins" New 52. Two stories ripe for adaptation into cinema.

Dave.

(in reply to acer7)
Post #: 6
1st 2 X-Men - 6/6/2012 10:03:41 AM   
ronniem

@acer...The first 2 X-Men are two of the best comic book films released to date. As a matter of fact, they paved the way for serious directors to see that you need to use the story and strong characters to drive the film, not CGI. The 3rd one sucked but I strongly disagree that the Bryan Singer films weren't any good. They were solid pieces of work.

Post #: 7
RE: About that - 6/6/2012 10:42:52 AM   
Lord_Nabu

quote:

ORIGINAL: acer7

Why cany Nolan do it? He would be a better choice.

Don't think he wants to go the obvious "super" route, he kept all transhuman elements well out of his batman, I don't think superman et al. appeal to him.

(in reply to acer7)
Post #: 8
- 6/6/2012 12:10:42 PM   
Tzarification

Well from what I have heard superman will be ready much sooner before its release so perhaps Nolan can be persuaded to throw in an after credits scene. Not much even a brainiac cameo to give the sort of threat that the justice league would be needed for and if it doesn't pan out being a superman movie it could still be resolved in a sequel.

Post #: 9
Warners and DC still have a way to go... - 6/6/2012 12:26:02 PM   
partybee

before they can handle this. They're probably gonna have to start Green Lantern from scratch, just like they're doing with Supes, and like the article says; they still haven't got Flash together and are clearly uber-puzzled at how to approach Wonder Woman. I'd HATE to see J'onn J'onzz left out. I also suggest New Frontier as good research material.

Post #: 10
RE: Warners and DC still have a way to go... - 6/6/2012 12:31:37 PM   
Tzarification

quote:

ORIGINAL: partybee

before they can handle this. They're probably gonna have to start Green Lantern from scratch, just like they're doing with Supes, and like the article says; they still haven't got Flash together and are clearly uber-puzzled at how to approach Wonder Woman. I'd HATE to see J'onn J'onzz left out. I also suggest New Frontier as good research material.

They could go for the Ghost Rider 2 approach and just ignore the previous film and tell the origin in a quick montage at the start. That way if they want to keep Renolds they have an out though I always thought he was much better suited to be The Flash.

(in reply to partybee)
Post #: 11
RE: Warners and DC still have a way to go... - 6/6/2012 12:54:21 PM   
Osric

quote:

ORIGINAL: partybee

before they can handle this. They're probably gonna have to start Green Lantern from scratch, just like they're doing with Supes,

There was a story a while ago though about how DC aren't planning an avengers strategy - they're not going to set up individual movies and then combine the characters, they're just going to come straight out with a Justice League movie, and it'll have a different Superman to Zak Snyder's. It'll run parallel to the other movies. Won't be part of them.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30579

(in reply to partybee)
Post #: 12
Do it the Avengers Way - 6/6/2012 12:55:57 PM   
Gazzabrook

Not sure what to make of this.
Yes I want (no need) a justice league film in my life, however I don’t want it to be rushed just because The Avengers has done so epically well .
Warner Bros. Learn from Marvel studios get the main cast right for at least one stand alone film each before putting them together there’s too much back story.
I don’t believe that Bale should play Batman, I think a new bat will be needed and I think Green lantern will work fine as a supporting character, plus we have Superman, WW, Flash and possible Green Arrow in the future that a steady approach can work and achievable in the next few years

Post #: 13
RE: 1st 2 X-Men - 6/6/2012 1:21:59 PM   
acer7

@ronin casting halle berry as storm? Casting ana paquinn as rouge? Cmon. The only reason those movies were halfway decent was because of patrick stewart and ian mckellen. Ēdo u know what happens to toads when they get struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything elseĒ lol rofl. Wow. Im not arguing the first 3xmen didnt have any good parts in them. Just those good parts were few and far between. The story was nowhere near close to the comic book story. Its just after seeing xmen origins, first class, and the avengers am I starting to have hope for marvel movies. Im hoping they have figured it out. Dont change the story and dont make most the movie about some stupid love romance.

< Message edited by acer7 -- 6/6/2012 1:24:52 PM >

(in reply to ronniem)
Post #: 14
RE: Do it the Avengers Way - 6/6/2012 1:22:47 PM   
Wild about Wilder

About time typical WB should've been done about 2-3 years ago I'd rather start with only Wonder Woman, Flash, G.L, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter & Black Canary just like the original line up & bring Supes in during the 1st Bats during the 2nd & that way have em all together for a 3rd.

(in reply to Gazzabrook)
Post #: 15
RE: Do it the Avengers Way - 6/6/2012 1:27:22 PM   
acer7

I agree. Stick to the original lineup. I really want to see martian manhunter

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 16
RE: Do it the Avengers Way - 6/6/2012 1:37:51 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazzabrook

Not sure what to make of this.
Yes I want (no need) a justice league film in my life, however I donít want it to be rushed just because The Avengers has done so epically well .
Warner Bros. Learn from Marvel studios get the main cast right for at least one stand alone film each before putting them together thereís too much back story.
I donít believe that Bale should play Batman, I think a new bat will be needed and I think Green lantern will work fine as a supporting character, plus we have Superman, WW, Flash and possible Green Arrow in the future that a steady approach can work and achievable in the next few years

I'd have doubts about using the Marvel approach, given the years it would take to end up with a JL movie and intervening sequels to the Avengers and individual Marvel films making DC seem very very very late arrivals at the ensemble hero film party.

Keeping it simple, how about a villain from several comics ensemble versus a hero ensemble, with Batman and Superman being the way into a film that escalates the number of heroes as it goes along, each of the individual heroes having been following an individual investigation leading them to their individual bad guy, thus the paths of the heroes cross en route to the big showdown.

Allow the film to be dominated by a Batman/superman meeting up at first, with the other characters of the JL entering demonstrating their abilities along the way and especially in the finale, with superman and Batman acting as 'audience proxy/identification with events point of view'. Then make origin films for the newer heroes that work best, Therefore you would have at least one big splash of a film to ripple out from for future development of individual hero films and a JL that forms as an organic part of a plot/narrative driven by characters that will bring the audience into the cinema and allow a certain amount of goodwill towards the addition of more heroes to the story because the film would start from what is familiar to the largest potential audience.

Stylistically, start in dour Gotham, then enter Superman, adding his colour tones (character wise and costume wise) to the film, with the colour palette of the film expanding as the next hero joins the story, and so on until there is a cornucopia of color by the time everything is in full swing

Then again, I don't know a lot about the JL, just playing devil's advocate and wondering if WB/DC can benefit from the above approach, rather than looking even more like they're riding on the success of the Avengers than they already inevitably will anyway, if they take the riskier approach Marvel did. The lead in films to the Avengers all suffer from 'the big event is coming later' approach, some more than others, and with ensemble films already established as viable by The Avengers, it doesn't (to me) make a lot of sense to take several years to start small and get bigger while the Marvel studio keeps churning 'em out and doing ensemble films in the meantime, making yet more origin films arriving in cinemas seem even more simplistic than they inevitably already are.

Focusing a JL film on Batman/Superman Bruce/Clark gives a central pairing of characters taking in the most ordinary of powerless human beings and the most 'super' of men, with characters and abilities that are extremeopposite reflections of each other, allowing for idealism and cynicism to be applied to the tone of the film so it gets neither too silly, nor too sarky . The familiar faces would act as the core of the film, then layering in heroes who can do various different things, but don't have their own backstories told could provide the ideal compromise for how to pull off a JL movie for approx £250million, rather than the £1Billion plus you'd be looking at to do a JL movie after a series of set up films, any of which might underperform and jinx the whole project. Then, if Batman, Superman and possibly the Green Lantern (without a change casting, because GL wasn't THAT bad) pull in enough dosh, the field then opens for the rest of the dramatis personae, movie wise.

The summer season already has had superhero origin films coming out if its fucking ears for the last few years as it is. Good for the fanboys, not so good for the non fanboys who are the main source of income. And since Marvel's heroes would largely be on the 'bigger, better, badder' sequels in addition to the semi-permanent state of making people ready for the next Avengers, up to 5 origin movies prior to a JL film (if you include Superman and a new Batman launch as 'introductory' films) leave a hell of a lot of work to do to make people still give a shit about variations on people duffing each other up in weird/spectacular ways AND keep variations on 'the ultimate threat to humanity' needing an ensemble effort from seeming like 'this weeks ultimate threat to humanity that wont turn out to be quite so threatening after all''

But what do I know?

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 6/6/2012 6:15:40 PM >

(in reply to Gazzabrook)
Post #: 17
RE: hello - 6/6/2012 1:40:48 PM   
dapieman

Acer7, I think you're misremembering to suit your arguement. As has already been said X-men 1&2 we're pretty solid and the foundation of everthing that's come since. The First two spidermen movies were well recieved, especially 2. Even Thor was quite successful, particularly when he's a less well known character.

Then you've got yourself a bit tied up because Avengers draws heavily on the story from Thor so to argue one is a success because it sticks to the comics AND the story laid down by it's predecessor, but that the predecessor isn't a good film because it doesn't stick to the comics is just plain weird.

Lots of successful films have taken a scalpel to the source material to create a better final product. For instance, Batman dispenses with a lot of the comics more supernatural elements and the X-men costumes, though iconic, would have not worked well on film (think yellow spandex).

Films based on comics cannot be slavish to the source material as they are trying to take the film to a new audience. Those familiar with the comics will be happy to accept more outlandish elements that wouldn't translate well into film, and so changes may be necessary. To argue that the secret lies solely in the comics is to detract from a large number of elements that have made the difference between success and failure.

Finally, X-men wolverine was bobbins (the reviews were not "outstanding" at all).

(in reply to acer7)
Post #: 18
Or they could just... - 6/6/2012 2:05:38 PM   
Marly93

I don't know, find someone with actual comic book nous and pedigree, it's all fine and dandy hiring a writer they feel is on a hot streak, but why not actually acquire a script from someone with a comic book background all the actually succesful movies had that in common from Batman Begins, Thor, X-Men: First Class etc. Could save them some serious box office blushes and actually give them a franchise lift off

Post #: 19
RE: hello - 6/6/2012 2:14:53 PM   
Russ Whitfield

The New 52 - love it or hate it - is a great launch pad for this.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to dapieman)
Post #: 20
Re:hello - 6/6/2012 3:13:58 PM   
ronniem

@Acer X-Men Origins:Wolverine was a stinking pile and it didn't get "outstanding reviews"...Hence the whole rebooting they're doing with James Mangold...they're basically pretending that film never came out because it was crap. If you think X-Men 1 and 2, Thor, and ALL Spiderman films all "sucked"...then I think you're in the minority. Aaanyway...A rushed JL movie would be a great disservice..I think they're just testing the waters until after they release Man of Steel next summer...If it takes off well we could have a JL film by summer 2015...

Post #: 21
Comic Book Saturation ? - 6/6/2012 5:12:40 PM   
blue_lion

OK, never thought I would ever say this as I love comic book heroes, but seriously, is this now being over done ? Think the studios need to start moving away from churning out these films, reboots, remakes and reimaginings and make ORIGINAL screenplays ! There must be some good untapped novels out there waiting for a keen director to make GOLD out of ?

Post #: 22
Comic Book Saturation ? - 6/6/2012 5:12:59 PM   
blue_lion

OK, never thought I would ever say this as I love comic book heroes, but seriously, is this now being over done ? Think the studios need to start moving away from churning out these films, reboots, remakes and reimaginings and make ORIGINAL screenplays ! There must be some good untapped novels out there waiting for a keen director to make GOLD out of ?

Post #: 23
years to late and needs doing well - 7/6/2012 1:17:57 AM   
chrisharvey1551

this idea will again fail. batman has been a success under nolan, who is also involved in the rebooted superman film man of steel which i hope is amazing and will hopefully turn in to a trilogy. also the odds of superman in the cinema in 2 different films at the same time is unlikely. green lantern even though i liked it didnt do well and would more than likley be started again. wonderwomen has been talked about for years but failed to even get off the ground as a tv show. no chance will bale do this, cavill will be contracted to the superman reboot even reynolds signing up is slim so a complete new cast would be needed. good luck warners/dc i really do at some point want this to work may be as a 3 film story (mark miller idea ) but not just yet ps brandon routh is a good start as superman

Post #: 24
RE: Scales of Justice - 7/6/2012 3:04:09 AM   
Mr. White

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

@acer7 I agree with you. These heroes have decades of backstory in the comics, all the mythology is there and smart adaptations always pay heed to that. What isn't easy is writing an ensemble movie with many characters, The Avengers got the balance right where movies like X-Men didn't.

The first 2 X-Men were great, so was X-men: First Class. I don't know what you are talking about bro.

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 25
RE: hello - 7/6/2012 9:59:51 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Trouble is that's a bit screwed what with Batman & GL still having their original backstories intact.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 26
RE: Warners Hires New Justice League Writer - 7/6/2012 12:32:47 PM   
Discodez

Without Batman and Superman, would anyone really care about a JLA film? (outside of hardcore comic book fans).

Post #: 27
Justice - 7/6/2012 12:41:17 PM   
3DCandyland

I think that they should just leave it alone and concentrate on doing really great individual hero movies that are of equal quality (but not the same as) The Dark Knight trilogy. I know Marvel did take a 5-year slow-burn approach to The Avengers but Captain America was a pretty bad film. It felt like it was rushed just so people could recognise him.
I'd rather if DC didn't approach the JL film like that. They should really work on rectifying Superman's reputation as a great hero, uplifting the Green Lantern to a level of success that Ironman enjoys (i.e. unknown-to-superstar superhero best measured by the amount of kids pretending to be him), and just leaving Batman alone for more than 5 years before rebooting (looking at you Spidey). Between all of that, make their Wonder Woman and Flash films, BUT only after that start working on the team-up.
Ultimately, it could also be done in 5 years starting say next year with Superman: MoS. I just want them to do good films that the characters deserve. But, neither DC nor WB. care about that, so expect lots of rushed overblown shit.

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Warners Hires New Justice League Writer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI