Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: so did Prometheus retcon AvP or not?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: so did Prometheus retcon AvP or not? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: so did Prometheus retcon AvP or not? - 10/10/2012 6:21:49 PM   
jobloffski

Whatever half remembered/unused ideas from back in the day that MIGHT have fed into AVP MIGHT also have been the seeds for ideas that found their way into Prometheus. That MIGHT account for any ideas that ring similarly.

The difference is one film is directed by Ridley Scott in his best 'don't explain absolutely everything, cos it seems that's what made Blade Runner a classic' frame of mind, the other, by Anderson in 'ALIENS! PREDATORS! TOGETHER AT LAST! WHY? WE'LL THINK OF A GOOD REASON IF WE HAVE TIME!! BRING IT OOOOONNN!' Mode . Both directors can be regarded as being close to at the top of their respective games when on Alien related duty.And in different ways, (engage brain and have a lobotomy in advance respectively) they each have their own kind of fun to offer

One is Scott, the other, Anderson

Which makes about as vast the continuum between the two eventual films they made as it is possible to imagine. One of the films' is even dumber than it thinks it is, the other far smarter than some of the people who have watched it seem to be.

Ahem...backs away, not taking eyes off the mob until a clear escape route is located for running down

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 10/10/2012 6:35:08 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 61
RE: so did Prometheus retcon AvP or not? - 10/10/2012 8:00:14 PM   
kumar

I have the cynical opinion that Scott "wanted" to return to the Engineers because the alien itself and predator had already been rinsed by other films. The lingering shot in Alien of the SJ with the open chest is enough for me. I really didnt think there was enough in that to have another film- at least with humans in anyway. Though much prettier looking that AVP, I really found Prometheus to be boring and though it "tried to ask questions" (shit ones IMO) the over complexity really ruined a lot of the flow. I think maybe this was compounded by people (including me) looking for ALIEN tie ins, given RS said "it is not a prequel, yet it shares the Alien DNA blah blah blah". Think RS was talking rubbish there.

The core is too complex, it doesnt make any sense and there are scenes which are so WTF in nature I really wanted to turn off (zombie Firefly something). Im not sure i like AVP more, but id rather watch that again than Prometheus.

On the hint of a sequel- Rapace goes to "Paradise" the Engineers find her and kill her straight away. End. I dont need to see any of that shit, or some people mulling around on earth to send another ship out.

edit: that was just a bad rant. I think either could be used as canon. Personally I would have neither, but if forced a choice I would rather accept AVP.

< Message edited by kumar -- 10/10/2012 8:03:10 PM >

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 62
RE: so did Prometheus retcon AvP or not? - 10/10/2012 11:00:50 PM   
jackcarter

but isnt tomorrow 10/11/12?

sequel announcement?

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 63
RE: so did Prometheus retcon AvP or not? - 11/10/2012 6:30:51 PM   
jackcarter

dosnt look like anythings going on

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 64
RE: so did Prometheus retcon AvP or not? - 11/10/2012 7:09:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

As I said before - nothing in film goes against this - you can have Peter Weyland be the son of Charles Weyland...if you want. In the film itself there is no information about the founding of the company - even in the TED video there is nothing.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 65
RE: so did Prometheus retcon AvP or not? - 18/10/2012 10:26:48 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

As I said before - nothing in film goes against this - you can have Peter Weyland be the son of Charles Weyland...if you want. In the film itself there is no information about the founding of the company - even in the TED video there is nothing.

in that case i shall consider Prometheus to be AvP3

might even photoshop an 'AvP' on the blu ray cover - 'AvP:Prometheus'

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 18/10/2012 10:28:16 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 66
RE: so did Prometheus retcon AvP or not? (beware SPOILERS) - 5/1/2014 11:36:16 AM   
ridleygrams

Interesting list of similarities between AVP and Prometheus. When I first saw Prometheus I noticed the Weyland presentation on the ship was very reminiscent of how AVP gets started. I recently went back and looked at AVP again (its been many years since I saw it) and I have to say - WTF is going on???? There is no question Ridley's shooting draft shares WAY too many similarities to AVP to be just a coincidence. Something is going on and so far I have not found anything in print or online to explain it. Is Dan O'Bannon the connection? Was O'Bannon throwing ideas around with Ridley for the ill-fated "Alien 5" Scott/Cameron film? Then when that fell through Ridley just kept the basic premise (and many of the characters and sequences) and injected them into Prometheus? We know that O'Bannon wrote AVP with Shusett and Anderson. And Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof both say the Prometheus script went through an evolution. They say that, along with Ridley, the Prometheus screenplay emerged as a combination of many ideas. Are they full of crap? Or is Ridley really using O'Bannon's story without giving him credit? There is no question Ridley Scott is a genius, and that Prometheus is a truly epic film (sure, there are some little flaws here and there, but come on, it's pretty awesome.) What reflects poorly on Scott is if he ripped off O'Bannon without giving him credit. I'm not going to revisit the list of similarities between the two films, but I will say that I discovered many additional elements in Prometheus that could only have come from the AVP story. The physical similarities in Lex's pairing with de Rosa and Prometheus' Shaw with Holloway. Escaping the doomed pyramid's blast by flying through the air and barely making the ledge (Lex does this in two scenes.) While these might be staples of the "genre," taken all together it's all really too much. AVP uses a Pepsi bottle cap at the end of a necklace instead of a cross. But, interestingly enough, when de Rosa reaches into the small opening into archaeological dig to grab the Pepsi cap artifact, he does it in the exact same reverse angle that we see very early in Prometheus when Shaw and Holloway find the ancient cave.

Now, assuming there was no plagiarism on anyone's part, how is it that no one in the production team, the writing team or at Fox or Scott Free said "WAIT A MINUTE! Isn't this all just a little to close to what Anderson did some years back? Lets put the AVP dvd in our Bluray and just take a quick look." How is it that this never happened? No one at the studio who read the script noticed anything funky? Or did they, and no one cares? I just don't believe that Ridley Scott is senile or isn't smart enough to know what happened.

< Message edited by ridleygrams -- 5/1/2014 11:59:58 AM >

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 67
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: so did Prometheus retcon AvP or not? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI