Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Football as a project and other sporting annoyances

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Football as a project and other sporting annoyances Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Football as a project and other sporting annoyances - 5/6/2012 10:19:07 AM   
BigBadWolf

As I couldn't think of a better title, I'll just go with that.  So, I'm reading this morning Eden Hazard chose Chelsea after they won the Champions League and because he liked their 'project' more, this is something I've heard more and more in recent years, x player announces he is talking to x club about their project, owners of clubs discussing their 'projects'

It's become a little pet hate of mine and I cringe a little when I hear the term muttered.  Exactly when did football clubs become projects? maybe it's a Real Madrid thing from the Galatico days.  But it just seems everyone has a bloody project these days, like they a masterminding world domination....
Post #: 1
RE: Football as a project and other sporting annoyances - 5/6/2012 10:29:17 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I approach such statements with cautious cynicism.

In a sense I think they are PR talk to win the fans over by showing that the player hasn't come for the salary, or as a stepping-stone in their career.

But in another sense, I don't see why you wouldn't want to be part of building something. I think one of the first times I heard it was when Yaya Toure joined City. And I could see why he came out with a reason why he'd be leaving Barce to join a team that hadn't enjoyed success and wasn't really a global name (other than the 200K+ wages a week). I can't say he's been wrong.

As for clubs. Well it seems that they are increasingly run with 3 and 5 year plans. I'd really put this down to a function of people trained in business being brought more into sport as these are becoming quite sizeable businesses and with huge investments in money it is important to have some idea where you are going.

Some good transfers already going through this summer. I'm looking forward to next season already.

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Football as a project and other sporting annoyances - 11/6/2012 1:27:20 PM   
Toby Monroe

It's just another pretentious way to try to intellectualize football. Just the like modern trend for managers to parade around in their technical area wearing a 2-piece and tie; they want us to think they have a more cerebral approach to coaching/management. AVB's 3/4 length macs were cringe worthy, and he's another one that likes to talk about 'projects'.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 3
RE: Football as a project and other sporting annoyances - 11/6/2012 2:58:00 PM   
horribleives

Comminications directors, directors of football, technical directors...such a modern approach to running a football club has worked wonders at Liverpool hasn't it?
Shankley and Paisley must be turning in their sheepskins.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 4
RE: Football as a project and other sporting annoyances - 14/6/2012 11:58:13 AM   
Toby Monroe

RE: Sporting Annoyances.

Champaign spraying at Grand Prix(s) (What fuck's the plural for Grand Prix?). They all hate each other, so the chummy shenanigans don't ring true. And it's a waste of Champaign.

Sleazy broadcasters focusing in on pretty ladies at sporting events has become very tiresome. It seemed to escalate during the Korea/Japan World Cup. Prior to that they seemed to only do it if they spooted a Brazilian lady in her bra, but now it's every 5 mins.

No need.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 5
RE: Football as a project and other sporting annoyances - 14/6/2012 12:09:51 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Terrestrial TV coverage of football.
Every 2 years we get an up close and personal view of for all their faults why Sky is light years ahead.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 6
RE: Football as a project and other sporting annoyances - 14/6/2012 1:13:23 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Monroe
Sleazy broadcasters focusing in on pretty ladies at sporting events has become very tiresome. It seemed to escalate during the Korea/Japan World Cup. Prior to that they seemed to only do it if they spooted a Brazilian lady in her bra, but now it's every 5 mins.

No need.

I would agree, but hearing Bumble find himself lost for words and the resultant laughter during England v SA when the camera focussed on a bikini-clad lady wrestling with a giant hotdog sausage was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV.

Post #: 7
RE: Football as a project and other sporting annoyances - 14/6/2012 2:54:56 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Monroe

No need.

I would agree, but hearing Bumble find himself lost for words and the resultant laughter during England v SA when the camera focussed on a bikini-clad lady wrestling with a giant hotdog sausage was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV.

Amen to that. The general awkwardness of Bumble when the TV cameras focus on any scantily-clad ladies, especially the cheerleaders, during the T20 is exceptional!

Those within the game trying to franchise the domestic T20 competition into some kind of EPL is infuriating me at the moment!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 8
RE: Football as a project and other sporting annoyances - 17/6/2012 1:33:22 PM   
lyssyweip

And I could see why he came out with a reason why he'd be leaving Barce to join a team that hadn't enjoyed success and wasn't really a global name (other than the 200K+ wages a week). I can't say he's been wrong.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9
RE: Football as a project and other sporting annoyances - 17/6/2012 2:04:04 PM   
JessFranco

quote:

You put me in a football environment anywhere in the world and I can deliver the module. I can modify the module for the particular culture and the way of playing

Big Sam is the master of this kind of thing.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to lyssyweip)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Football as a project and other sporting annoyances Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI