Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Red Tails - 5/6/2012 10:11:26 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 5/6/2012 10:11:26 AM   
bigdog1000

i dont know what film this reviewer has seen but it wasnt the same one i had. Admitedly the action scenes were pretty good but very forgetable. However where this film becomes unstuck is the bits in between. I couldnt help thinking that the whole movie could have been so much better, but poor acting, poor story and extremely cheesy predicatable scenes ruin the film. star wars this isnt. Save your money

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 5/6/2012 3:04:07 PM   
Spaldron

This was universally panned in the States a few months ago and Empire gives it the same rating as Prometheus? This should be interesting.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to bigdog1000)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: - 5/6/2012 3:07:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

This was universally panned in the States a few months ago and Empire gives it the same rating as Prometheus? This should be interesting.

Really? You are going to be that guy?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 4
RE: Red Tails - 5/6/2012 3:16:01 PM   
MonsterCat

They'll probably give it four or two when it's out on DVD.

Obviously this makes me angry because I always assumed that Empire is run by a hive mind and not individuals with different perspectives.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 5/6/2012 3:21:27 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Really? You are going to be that guy?

I am that guy.

But seriously, all I'm saying is it'll be interesting to see if it is any better/worse than Prometheus.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 6
RE: Red Tails - 6/6/2012 5:41:59 AM   
Phubbs

Hey now Empire, I already made a review thread for this...

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3403440

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 6/6/2012 5:42:16 AM >

Post #: 7
OK. (Spoilers) - 7/6/2012 10:15:03 AM   
filmsunlimited

On going to see this, not knowing too much about it beforehand except 'its a war movie about fighter pilots' I expected some sort of gung ho 'actually us Yanks won WWII' style affair. What you get is somewhat more reserved and deals with the racial segregation that existed just 70 or so years ago (Imagine a 'Negro only unit today?!') What may surprise some viewers is the way that the black fighter pilots and their captain just seem to accept the inherent racism, although you have to remind yourself that seemed to be the attitude those days. Needless to say, they win the hearts of their white counterparts after a plucky air battle which is the film's saving grace, even if it is obviously directed by a Star Wars director. Without the battle scene, what you get is fairly dreary but the battle scene just about saves the film from ignomy.

Post #: 8
RE: OK. (Spoilers) - 9/6/2012 11:21:48 AM   
Kayotik

It's been a while since I went to see a film in which the audience was laughing out loud at how awful the dialogue and acting was.

The dogfights were actually very dull, there was no tension to them because for the majority of them it was just the Red Tails shooting down the Nazis and nothing more.

Even the main Nazi pilot was played like a pantomime villain.

Such a poorly done film.

(in reply to filmsunlimited)
Post #: 9
Red Tails - 9/6/2012 10:06:32 PM   
Eomer_King

A woeful effort brimming with forgettable dialogue, laughable plot contrivances and less character development than an episode of Neighbours, this should simply be avoided at all costs. The combat scenes (while impressive) are so infrequent as to be dwarfed by the sheer awfulness of every other facet of the film, from numerous lazily abandoned story threads to the cringeworthy, forced emotion attached to a largely uninteresting cast of characters. Given the significant - yet complex - subject matter, the simplistic, cloying approach adopted by Lucas and co is really quite embarrassing.

< Message edited by Eomer_King -- 9/6/2012 10:09:39 PM >

Post #: 10
felt like an average TV movie - 10/6/2012 3:38:19 PM   
bretty

Considering the pedigree of Lucas and that he wanted to make this for so long, he made a mess of it. I'd sen the average reviews and was prepared to be slightly underwhelmed but within 5 minutes you could tell it was a bit of a dog. Cartoon Germans attack a bomber flight whose pilots tell us what is going on with some of the worst movie dialogue I have ever heard. Some awful acting (Cuba Gooding jr seemed to be on some kind of private joke, or that pipe of his was full of pot) and lazy, lazy plotting. There was probaby an important and powerful message to be told here, and one of some brave guys who didn't want to let their colour stop them for fighring for their country, but Lucas seems to take the emotion out of it and lets it fall like a damp squib. It does appear the man has well and truely forgotten how to make a good film. (Would have been two stars but for some nice scenes in the air)

Post #: 11
RE: felt like an average TV movie - 10/6/2012 9:36:39 PM   
Dr Lenera

It's easily better than Prometheus.

In 1944, after enduring racism throughout their recruitment and training in the Tuskagee training programme, the 332d Fighter Group of young African American USAAF fighter pilots are finally sent into combat in Italy, although flying worn-out aircraft. Chafing at their ground attack missions against trains and enemy ground transport, the Tuskegee Airmen recognize that they may never fight the Luftwaffe in fighter-to-fighter combat. The tight-knit group of Joe “Lightning” Little, Martin “Easy” Julian, Ray “Ray Gun” or “Junior” Ganno, and Samuel “Joker” George, under the guidance of Major Emanuel Stance and Col. A.J. Bullard, face a white military bureaucracy still resistant to accepting black flyers as equals. Then they get their chance to shine when they are chosen to support the Allied landings at Anzio…….

It’s certainly an inspiring story [and one that has already been the subject of a TV movie in 1998]. How the first African American fighter pilots beat racism to shine in the Second World War, supporting bombers on some of the most crucial raids. It’s actually a story that George Lucas first wanted to make in 1988, initially as a trilogy. Red Tails was actually filmed mostly in 2009 but was subject to reshoots the following year by executive producer Lucas himself, and even after that took two years to come out. Now the movie finally is out and has received a poor reception from both critics and audiences? Is all this evidence of racism [as some have alleged] about a film with an all-black cast or a sign that the movie is crap? I would personally say it’s neither. I believe racism, especially against blacks, is largely exaggerated in some quarters, while the film, while it certainly has serious problems and doesn’t come anywhere near the similarly themed Glory, is nowhere near as bad as you may have heard.

Red Tails opens in a show-offy manner with a spectacular air battle, after which the camera glides through some clouds without a cut until it reaches four other planes, totally seperate from the action we have just seen, the planes of our four main protagonists. Both technically impressive and a nice way of showing their situation, it’s a good beginning, but then the characters open their mouths to spout dialogue that is as bad as anything Lucas had been involved with. Honestly, it’s awful and really brings the film down at times. The script overall is awkward and uneven. All the charaters are either drawn from stock or so noble and flawless that they rarely convince as actual human beings. Despite having four ‘heroes’, the film concentrates mostly on one, Joe Little, who is the least interesting character of the lot. He has a romance with a pretty senorita, and this is played out in a typically beautiful old Italian town, a kind of haven from the war. Sadly though the romance is conveyed is a few quick scenes which jump forward too fast, ensuring that we just don’t care about very much. At one point the film becomes a prison escape movie but again seems very rushed, with the scene of the escape virtually thrown away. There is, though, one of the most hair-raising ‘man in a damaged-plane-trying-to-land’ scenes I’ve seen in ages, and I must admit, the first time the Tuskagee Airmen return in victory from their first major mission, I felt like cheering.

The film does though do a good job of getting across the bigotry the Airmen faced in just a few scenes, even from those very high up. What seems to have annoyed many is that many liberties have been taken with the facts, such as saying that other air squadrons abandoned their roles during air strikes in which the Tuskagee Airmen took part. I have an increasing intolerance for films altering history, especially recent history where some of the people who took part in it are still alive, and it almost does the real Tuskagee Airmen a disservice. Now the aeriel action scenes are awesome to look and very exciting, with little of the stupidly fast editing that you usually get these days, and the CGI planes certainly look realistic, but they fly and maneuver as if they are in a cartoon, defying the laws of physics. It doesn’t seem like the filmmakers knew much about actual aerial warfare at all. Did you know that fighter cockpits are almost silent and you can hear a parachute open outside? I will also say that, while the planes look fine, the fires when they are hit don’t always convince. Despite all these problems, the action nonetheless works on a visceral level, and there’s also more blood than you would expect from this defiantly old-fashioned film.

Yes, some of the time this really looks and feels like a film from decades ago. This is something I didn’t mind, it being a nice change from the gritty approach you usually get in war films at the moment, but sadly the action is mostly quite poor, with some of the younger cast members giving the feeling of just being pulled in from the street and told to get on with it. Cuba Gooding Jr. does little but fiddle with a pipe, but Terence Howard has a few strong scenes and seems to be really trying to give Red Tails the strong centre it lacks. I’ve spent a lot of time criticising this film, and yet I still quite liked it. Its heart is certainly in the right place and I found its innocence and idealism quite refreshing. Cover your ears and it’s actually quite enjoyable.

Rating: 5.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 10/6/2012 10:42:06 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 12
RE: felt like an average TV movie - 12/6/2012 4:56:33 PM   
Phubbs

Better than 'Prometheus'!!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13
Tail Spin - 13/6/2012 4:11:04 PM   
gward

I jst CANNOT believe that you gave this the same rating as Prometheus. I appreciate that the review is one person's opinion but surely there must be some reference to some common standards. This was one of the worst films i have ever paid money to see. Awful acting, awful script, paper thin one dimensional characters and average special effects rising to OK battle scenes. In a post Saving Private Ryan world this film is simply an embarrassing disgrace and to know that it is supposed to be documenting real events just makes things even worse. Come on Empire - to maintain credibility you have to stop being so kind and tell it as it is!

Post #: 14
RE: Tail Spin - 14/6/2012 4:09:54 PM   
Wild about Wilder

What was the point of the girl from NCIS LA being in it playing the Italian love intrest who hardly spoke a word of English?

(in reply to gward)
Post #: 15
RE: Tail Spin - 15/6/2012 6:02:49 AM   
Phubbs

The dogfights were decent, the rest was average yes but your all being too harsh.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 16
FLASHMAN - 21/6/2012 10:19:37 AM   
Frank Comiskey

George Lucas opens his digital toolbox and creates the best air combat scenes ever seen, but what about plot, story, character, & dialogue? A segregated group of WW2 flying aces is a superb way of addressing race issues, but no cliche is unturned; what a misfire; should have called it 'The Memphis Help'.

Post #: 17
FLASHMAN - 21/6/2012 10:19:38 AM   
Frank Comiskey

George Lucas opens his digital toolbox and creates the best air combat scenes ever seen, but what about plot, story, character, & dialogue? A segregated group of WW2 flying aces is a superb way of addressing race issues, but no cliche is unturned; what a misfire; should have called it 'The Memphis Help'.

Post #: 18
RE: FLASHMAN - 19/6/2013 1:20:27 PM   
Vitamin F

Utter garbage, with a handful of CGI-passable action scenes.
Cringeworthy and embarrassingly bad dialogue (check out almost EVERY line spoken by a B17 crew member during the raid scenes, Christ!)
The acting, from everyone involved including the bigger names, is just atrocious although to be fair they had absolutely shite dialogue to work with.

A complete big-budget embarrassment, sorry. Everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves, and even the not-bad action scenes are ruined by the little dialogue inserts during the cockpit close-ups.
I didn't even mention the cartoon German pilot used to illustrate/symbolise the entire Reich...

Honestly, was this written & produced by a bunch of 14 year olds that broke into Lucasfilms??

(in reply to Frank Comiskey)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Red Tails Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI