Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What do you do...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: What do you do... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 1:13:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I write subtitles for television programmes, both live and prerecorded. Our big clients are ITV and Channel 5, but we do some stuff for Sky.

It can be a very interesting job, depending on what programmes you get allocated, but the flipside can be having three Jeremy Kyle Shows in a row to subtitle as well as focusing on local news across the country which can be incredibly dull.

Due to the live nature of our job, we work a fairly bizarre working pattern which can be a pain and we never, ever get Bank Holidays off which is annoying, but on the whole I enjoy it.

So, you are responsible for making me laugh at some of the subtitle mistakes on live TV shows? I salute you

I can see how this job can be frustrating at times, though. I mean, having to actually listen to Jeremy Kyle?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 31
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 1:34:14 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I just noticed you are a media studies teacher, that is very cool too.

It's brilliant but teaching English is just as good. Although lately with Y10 media we've been doing TV crime drama which is lots of fun.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 32
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 1:37:18 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

I write subtitles for television programmes, both live and prerecorded. Our big clients are ITV and Channel 5, but we do some stuff for Sky.

It can be a very interesting job, depending on what programmes you get allocated, but the flipside can be having three Jeremy Kyle Shows in a row to subtitle as well as focusing on local news across the country which can be incredibly dull.

Due to the live nature of our job, we work a fairly bizarre working pattern which can be a pain and we never, ever get Bank Holidays off which is annoying, but on the whole I enjoy it.

So, you are responsible for making me laugh at some of the subtitle mistakes on live TV shows? I salute you

I can see how this job can be frustrating at times, though. I mean, having to actually listen to Jeremy Kyle?

I actually thought that for live stuff, because of the speed and mistakes it was actually voice recognition software doing most of this. I was watching subtitles on Sky News when I was in the gym over the weekend and it put up some title that was "boiled hands" rather than "Royal hands". I figured no human would actually make that error.

Post #: 33
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 1:41:27 PM   
Shifty Bench

Anyone ever use the Closed Caption option on Youtube? It's voice recognition and is almost never right, it's quite funny for a bit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

It's brilliant but teaching English is just as good. Although lately with Y10 media we've been doing TV crime drama which is lots of fun.

It sounds cool (genuinely, no sarcasm here)

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 34
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 4:00:25 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

I actually thought that for live stuff, because of the speed and mistakes it was actually voice recognition software doing most of this. I was watching subtitles on Sky News when I was in the gym over the weekend and it put up some title that was "boiled hands" rather than "Royal hands". I figured no human would actually make that error.

The Prof is right, we use VR software which accounts for the more bizarre typos that get sent out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 35
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 5:28:09 PM   
Lucky Day

I manage an electronics shop by day. It's ok, not as ok as the guitar shop I used to manage but certainly more ok than the phone shop I managed before that. DJ by night. Mostly weddings, they pay well. I also DJ an 80's boozer and run a couple of club nights. Alternative & mix tape. And a few times a year I am a back line tech. Mostly T in the park, but I do other stuff as time allows. That can be a good laugh. I also do some guitar tech work and sound engineering on the side. Local stuff mostly. I am currently pondering taking on a market stall. I reckon I could make some money from that.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 36
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 5:43:22 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

You're a teacher who enjoys their job right now? What's your secret? (My wife needs to know.)

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 37
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 5:50:36 PM   
Scruffybobby

I work for a major high street bank where my current role is to decide whether or not customers get to have a refund on PPI premiums. Pretty much everybody does.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 38
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 6:21:18 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

You're a teacher who enjoys their job right now? What's your secret? (My wife needs to know.)

Aye. So does my Mum? Is it something you put in your cereal?

I'm just finishing up my degree but I work full-time as well in various different roles. I'm a chef, barman, general dogsbody. When I say chef I mean 'proper chef' not glorified cook, although some places have tried to get me to take the freezer-packed approach, which round here is going to be found out by the customer in, oh, about a minute. I did until recently have two jobs, I've now decided to stick with just the one due to travelling costs to the other. And yes, I still occasionally get called a student sponger. Usually by alcoholics who's idea of a day's work is feeding the only thing they have for company when they're not propping up the bar, their goldfish. Yes, the irony there is incredible...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 39
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 6:43:30 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

I work for a major high street bank where my current role is to decide whether or not customers get to have a refund on PPI premiums. Pretty much everybody does.

Is this your boss?

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 40
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 7:08:36 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay, two things:

1. I was specifically addressing Rinc, not yourself.
2. Rinc is a teacher and therefore is in a better position to answer my question, unlike yourself - (see 1).

Anyway, other than being victimised by a bitch head-teacher who is targeting various members of staff in a campaign of discrimination and constructive dismissal there's the hostile parents, ignorant public, and an education secretary - as well as that cunt who heads Ofsted - who seems hell-bent on dismantling the system and doing his utmost to demoralise both teachers and pupils. The stifling bureaucracy. The determination to transform all teachers into robots. Maybe it's because she's a department head as well, she takes more shit. I dunno.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 41
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 7:18:01 PM   
steffols

I work on the Customer Service Desk and cigarette kiosk of a supermarket.

Sometimes, I do love it but lately we've had management breathing down our necks and I've been getting hideous shifts which I hope will be sorted soon.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 42
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 7:41:40 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay, two things:

2. Rinc is a teacher and therefore is in a better position to answer my question, unlike yourself - (see 1).

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Goodfella also addressing Rinc, in agreement with you?

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 5/6/2012 7:42:36 PM >

Post #: 43
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 8:25:18 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay, two things:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Goodfella also addressing Rinc, in agreement with you?

Yes I was. Fuck knows what called for that kind of reaction, I was agreeing with the jest of the posts but, Jesus, don't worry about it....

Any opportunity to be a jumped-up arse on these forums these days...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

Post #: 44
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 8:35:10 PM   
steffols

I'm sure it was just a genuine mix-up, GF.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 45
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 8:42:07 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay, two things:

Yes I was. Fuck knows what called for that kind of reaction, I was agreeing with the jest of the posts but, Jesus, don't worry about it....

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 46
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 8:43:37 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay, two things:

Well it's going to as there was absolutely no need for it in the first place, I was in agreement, there's no other explanation for me posting what I did.

I also wasn't the first poster to notice that.

Don't really know what there is "to get mixed up" over but forget it.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 47
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 8:46:16 PM   
Harley Quinn

I used to be a PR/Marketing Assistant, Event's Manager & PA/Office Manager my career has generally run on parallel lines where my job was a combination of the PR/PA stuff. I've done product placement for films, TV shows, Music video. Have worked backstage at concerts & celeb events dressing celebrities. I've organised photo shoots, written copy for ads. My previous bosses include a very famous DJ, a well known London tourist attraction, a mid range Jewellery & Watch company and a celebrity chef.

Because of the issues in my private life I'm unlikely to go back to my previous career so am looking at setting up my own vintage company hiring out my huge collection of vintage handbags, china and glasses for events, photo shoots, etc. I am also looking at maybe utilising my skills in event management to do vintage inspired events as well.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 48
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 8:48:06 PM   
chewbacasnapsak

I'm a structural engineer, I travel all over the country surveying old buildings and then put designs together on how to remedy defects. I work mainly these days on rail projects, so it's alot of station work. I have worked on some spectacular projects in the past like the British Museum and St pancreas station.

It's 50/50 site and office based, and i am lucky enough to absolutely love my job.

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 49
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 8:49:41 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

Oops, my bad. Sensitive subject right now.

quote:

Takes one to know one, sir.

My apologies for jumping down your throat. T'was a misunderstanding.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 50
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 8:51:34 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

*saves for future use*

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 51
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 8:52:11 PM   
tommyjarvis

I work in Big Four audit.

Corporate whore, me.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

Post #: 52
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 8:53:30 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

I manage an electronics shop by day. It's ok, not as ok as the guitar shop I used to manage but certainly more ok than the phone shop I managed before that. DJ by night. Mostly weddings, they pay well. I also DJ an 80's boozer and run a couple of club nights. Alternative & mix tape. And a few times a year I am a back line tech. Mostly T in the park, but I do other stuff as time allows. That can be a good laugh. I also do some guitar tech work and sound engineering on the side. Local stuff mostly. I am currently pondering taking on a market stall. I reckon I could make some money from that.

Oh, and I meant to add. I like my job(s), these are not the best jobs in the world though. I met a man who's job it was to tweak Pink's nipples just before she went on stage. I've seen him do his job twice. He is very good at it.

This is possibly the best job in the world. I'm not sure of the required qualifications.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 53
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 10:45:14 PM   
Rinc

Just so you all know, I've been down the pub all afternoon because I've got all week off. These bank holidays mean nothing to someone like me.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm a new teacher so that helps. I'm sure within a few years I'll be ground down and turned into a robot. But in the meantime I qualified only last year at the age of 28. Therefore I've had plenty of other jobs which are longer hours, more unsociable hours, less pay, less respect, more mudane, repetitive, less career prospects longterm and shorterm, badly managed, more poorly staffed, full of more arse kissing morons and most importantly - far less satisfying. Teaching has its downsides but so far it is by far the best job I've ever had. Everyday is different, I am on the whole respected for what I do, pay and pension is decent (we'll se though ) I have great holidays, 99% of kids are nice and there is nothing more satisfying than teaching your kids something, they take that on and then apply that successfully to their work. Even something so simple as teaching a 13 year old a new word which they are then able to use.

Come July it'll also be the longest full time job I've ever had so it's not just a case of not being in a job long enough.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 54
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 11:08:14 PM   
SadFace

quote:

ORIGINAL: chewbacasnapsak

I have worked on some spectacular projects in the past like the British Museum and St pancreas station.

Is that in any way connected to the Liver Building?

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 55
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 11:49:55 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Adam wins.

So far........

Does he get 13 weeks holiday a year though?

My wife is a teacher so I try to take most of her holidays too. Working for a uni means that I get most of summer off anyway, and what work I do do in that period is as laid back as can be really. But yeah, 13 weeks PAID holiday would be nice. As would the pension (I'll never be able to retire, not that I mind, I love my job).

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 5/6/2012 11:50:21 PM >

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 56
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 11:52:20 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I was also in a moderately successful band a few years ago, and still get royalties from that on a quarterly basis too.

Blazin' Squad? Right, come on, which one are you?

I was thinking maybe it was these guys

Only one of you is right....

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 57
RE: What do you do... - 5/6/2012 11:54:17 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
It's so much better than making fucking coffee, I tell you now.

I always wanted to work in a coffee shop. Coffee is my only film related passion!

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 58
RE: What do you do... - 6/6/2012 12:09:27 AM   
Skiba

Half-man, Half-machine still cracks me up!

< Message edited by Skiba -- 6/6/2012 12:10:15 AM >

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 59
RE: What do you do... - 6/6/2012 12:15:09 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

I was also in a moderately successful band a few years ago, and still get royalties from that on a quarterly basis too.

Blazin' Squad? Right, come on, which one are you?

I was thinking maybe it was these guys

Only one of you is right....

You were the white one in Goldie Lookin' Chain, right?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: What do you do... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI