Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 7/6/2012 11:49:13 AM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Spoiler

Despite Prometheus' flaws i'm happy to see the franchise go off in a new direction and I agree with Adam, with Shaw and David flying off to meet the creators of mankind there couldnt really have been a more exciting prospect in terms of a sequel.

The issue's for a sequel comes with the Xeno, was it just tacked on at the end for some link/nod to the original ? or does it serve a purpose to the story and have some part to play in the future with possible sequels ?. I still think there is a big question mark surrounding Vickers whos origins were kind of left open to interpretation. I dont think their finished with that planet just yet.

I think the appearance of the xeno at the end fulfills both roles.† As I see it, it was a bipedal organism born from a proto-facehugger that emerges from the chest of its host.† In that alone, we have had the first establishment of the classic Giger alien lifecycle.† We know that the creature takes on some (but not all) of the characteristics of the host.† So, the extensible 2nd jaw comes from the big facehugger, the bipedalism from the engineer.† So what would happen if the new creature leaves the medipod and makes its way into the pyramid, where it encounters more black goo and changes again?† Somehow the xeno at the end of Prometheus marks the evolution of what will become the same creature we know and love from the earlier movies, thus tying Prometheus to the canon while allowing possible future developments when humans return to LV-223.

As for Vickers, android without a doubt (for reasons set out in the favourite films thread!)

But Prometheus and Alien take place on separate planets - do you mean when humans return in a Prometheus sequel there could be a xenomorph that has evolved even quicker than we've previously seen due to the black goo? Maybe one with higher brain functions?

And I never even considered the possibility that Vickers might be an android. That, I like. I was hoping she'd see the credits - a hope that increased when we saw shades of Ripley, most notably when she refused to allow an infection on board the Prometheus.

LV-223 is the planet from Prometheus. He's referring to humans returning there in a Sequel not the events of Alien

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 31
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 7/6/2012 12:19:53 PM   
FoximusPrime

That's what I meant. Admittedly, the way I wrote it was the most arse-about-tit way I could've done it.

Just wanted to clarify that we're talking about a potential creature in a potential sequel that has no direct link to the Alien xenomorph (unless it stows aboard another vessel headed for LV-426) hence my suggestion of a more intelligent creature resulting from contact with the goo, rather than the xeno from Alien. I assume that, as the xenos mature pretty quickly, they might 'evolve' quickly too. If the speed of that process was to be accelerated it could open up a world of opportunity / hurt.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 32
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 7/6/2012 12:52:20 PM   
great_badir

Regardless of what I think about the film (very lightweight, yet more mediocre Scott), it SHOULD have at least one sequel/follow-up if only to connect that dot(s) to Alien because, as it stands, it is following one of those awful and confusing Planet of the Apes (as in Tim Burton's) and Donnie Darko type same universe/paralell timeline things that has far too many holes in it to make sense, and the audience is left to make an awful lot of assumptions and suppositions and also has to question whether the writers have purposely left a lot unexplained or even acknowledged, or if they've just completely ignored, forgotten or disregarded stuff from Alien.

Sorry for the long sentence with no full stop there.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 33
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 7/6/2012 12:54:29 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

See you look at the ending of Prometheus and you wonder where do they go from here?
Because everything I can think of just seems Naff/Corny at this moment.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING OF PROMETHEUS

With the exception of the silly xenomorph-reveal I think the general climax makes it quite clear as to where this is heading - she (and Fass's head) are heading out to the SJ's home planet. I can't think of a more exciting prospect myself!

SPOILERS

I'd be interested to see this but I can't see it happening to be honest. Nobody other than fans of this movie, the Alien series and the odd few willing to take a chance would go to see a film with one human, a head and a lot of strange, pasty, bald giants who don't speak English as far we know. The studio knows this and just wouldn't get behind it.

We'll be back on LV-223 with a group of people looking for the Prometheus and crew and running into the xeno from the end of this and whatever it has since created.

EDIT: Who knows? Perhaps the studio will be brave and have two seperate movies, allowing Ridley Scott to go and carry on with his ideas and follow the engineers while hiring a new, cheap director to make your standard Alien horror/action movie on LV-223.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 7/6/2012 12:58:41 PM >

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 34
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 7/6/2012 2:36:37 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

See you look at the ending of Prometheus and you wonder where do they go from here?
Because everything I can think of just seems Naff/Corny at this moment.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING OF PROMETHEUS

With the exception of the silly xenomorph-reveal I think the general climax makes it quite clear as to where this is heading - she (and Fass's head) are heading out to the SJ's home planet. I can't think of a more exciting prospect myself!

SPOILERS

I'd be interested to see this but I can't see it happening to be honest. Nobody other than fans of this movie, the Alien series and the odd few willing to take a chance would go to see a film with one human, a head and a lot of strange, pasty, bald giants who don't speak English as far we know. The studio knows this and just wouldn't get behind it.

We'll be back on LV-223 with a group of people looking for the Prometheus and crew and running into the xeno from the end of this and whatever it has since created.

EDIT: Who knows? Perhaps the studio will be brave and have two seperate movies, allowing Ridley Scott to go and carry on with his ideas and follow the engineers while hiring a new, cheap director to make your standard Alien horror/action movie on LV-223.

Easy solution: The Gods (or whatever) are the unknown quantity/creators/controllers, the mysterious thing yet to be properly encountered/understood, who's to say the prometheus mission wasn't being monitored by another unknown quantity, allowed to run it's course and then a follow up mission is sent (perhaps including scientists/military who are TOLD they're going looking for the Prometheus crew, but rather than checking out the 'unknown' fate of the Prometheus, they, like the prometheus crew before them (as such a scenario would have it, anyway) are just being sent in to find/retrieve whatever they find/retrieve, with the crew being expendable. I

n fact, given the time the Prometheus crew were in hyper sleep, any bad guy overseer type/group in the story could have already concocted a story that 'contact was lost with the Prometheus, so we need to mount a search and rescue mission' and sent up that said mission even even before the prometheus crew woke up, leaving the follow up team in stasis, to be woken up as required, once the prometheus mission plays out. That probably sounds more convoluted than it actually is. Big picture of the story/trilogy/whatever pans out to:

Two unknown quantities, the gods and (basically) The Company (possibly more android populated than people know) wanting humanity gone and want the xenomorph to achieve this, once it's creation has taken place. Ultimately whether by the hands of the gods who created them or under the puppetry of the Androids they in turn created (to nick the AVP tagline) whoever wins out of these two 'hidden hands' trying to direct our fate, we lose...

Man, caught in the crossfire between science and religion, both destined to end in the end of humanity, if followed without too slavishly.

Or some shit like dat.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 7/6/2012 2:50:09 PM >

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 35
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 7/6/2012 2:47:13 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

The films major plus is the fact it threw some many ideas up in the air with very little answers that the sequel can literally go in any direction it wants.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 7/6/2012 2:51:03 PM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 36
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 7/6/2012 2:50:59 PM   
jobloffski

Which is why I can just pull the bare bones of a scenario out of thin air like I just did ;-)

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 37
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 7/6/2012 3:09:04 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Yeah I would agree that there's plenty there for a sequel just a question of Prometheus' box office success now.
Post #: 38
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 8/6/2012 10:54:30 AM   
MCorcoran

I think they should just leave the Alien world now, Prometheus was an average film at best, I didn't care about any of the characters, i think its best just to leave it

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 39
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 9/6/2012 5:23:05 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

Good, now I can't look at the thread I started because of Prometheus spoilers.

Haha! You can't of expected a thread about future sequels to not reference moments in the film!

Go see it already!!

Well, I wasn't talking about sequels to Prometheus as such, but new Alien films, which could be sequels to Prometheus, I suppose.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 40
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 10/6/2012 4:00:04 PM   
jackcarter

the rumoured original plot of Prometheus? (maybe the last 3 paragraphs will end up the basis of the sequel? - if so SPOILERS!)
http://boxofficebuz.com/news_full.php?id=287

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 41
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 11/6/2012 12:44:45 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter
the rumoured original plot of Prometheus? (maybe the last 3 paragraphs will end up the basis of the sequel? - if so SPOILERS!)
http://boxofficebuz.com/news_full.php?id=287

I thought this had already been confirmed by Lindelof et al as being bullshit?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 42
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 11/6/2012 6:24:48 PM   
Woger

quote:

Whatever happens next,with regards to a Prometheus sequel,do we want Damon Lindelof onboard?.
Yes he gave us some great ideas but his also gave us some bewildering questions and generaly clunky moments.

Would the writer be in control of the general outline/big picture? I'd expect Scott to have a big picture view of the uinverse he was involved in and the writer is there to fill in the gaps, flesh out the story etc

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 43
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 18/6/2012 11:35:12 AM   
jackcarter

latest sequel details
quote:

According to our insider information: Prometheus 2 is under works, and it planned for a 2014/2015 release. The filming will start shortly this year. Currently they are at the Planning stage, where they lay out the entire plan on how to film the movie in the proper order and how to achieve some of the special effects described in both the scripts (currently in progress) and the concept arts. Later this year there would be production videos showing the progress that they made thus far, and how they didnít waste any time.

Their ideas are very solid, and answer several questions that were asked in the first movie. Although several questions will answered throughout Prometheus 2, the story would be based on two main plot lines that were left off from the last movie. The first and most important is where will Dr. Shaw and David go, and what will they find there. It has been speculated that Elder Engineers that were cut from the last movie will play a huge role in the sequel. They were probably cut from the main movie for the same reason. Because it was thought that perhaps they need to be reworked, and represented in a whole different way.

http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/unconfirmed-sequel-development-news/

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 44
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 18/6/2012 12:00:58 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

latest sequel details
quote:

According to our insider information: Prometheus 2 is under works, and it planned for a 2014/2015 release. The filming will start shortly this year. Currently they are at the Planning stage, where they lay out the entire plan on how to film the movie in the proper order and how to achieve some of the special effects described in both the scripts (currently in progress) and the concept arts. Later this year there would be production videos showing the progress that they made thus far, and how they didnít waste any time.

Their ideas are very solid, and answer several questions that were asked in the first movie. Although several questions will answered throughout Prometheus 2, the story would be based on two main plot lines that were left off from the last movie. The first and most important is where will Dr. Shaw and David go, and what will they find there. It has been speculated that Elder Engineers that were cut from the last movie will play a huge role in the sequel. They were probably cut from the main movie for the same reason. Because it was thought that perhaps they need to be reworked, and represented in a whole different way.

Cool.
Also the picture/screenshot looks interesting.
I wouldnt put it past Ridley to have (I say) the sequel 20% completed,because what we saw in Prometheus and its lengh of production seemed lessor to what we saw in the film.Im certain they would have worked on some sequel scenes while they were in production for Prometheus,and I suppose that screenshot is a relevance to that assumption.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 18/6/2012 12:50:06 PM >

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 45
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 18/6/2012 4:17:33 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

latest sequel details
quote:

The real question is will Ridley direct or will they get someone else?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 46
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 18/6/2012 4:44:50 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

latest sequel details
quote:

I think Ridley will direct it,I'd be surprised if he didn't.

I feel this is Ridleys precious own interest now,much in the same vien as Camerons Avatar and we have heard on occasions Ridleys views on Camerons soon to be franchise.This will be Ridley franchise and I think this will now consume much of his future/final directorial works.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 47
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 18/6/2012 5:09:48 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

latest sequel details
quote:

I feel this is Ridleys precious own interest now,much in the same vien as Camerons Avatar and we have heard on occasions Ridleys views on Camerons soon to be franchise.This will be Ridley franchise and I think this will now consume much of his future/final directorial works.

But Ridley's got his Blade Runner sequel coming up. I can't see him directing that and Prometheus 2 at the same time. No I reckon if a sequel does go ahead Ridley will stay on as Executive Producer and they'll hire some new talent to take the reins. I'd personally love to see maybe Nick Refn work on this.

Post #: 48
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 18/6/2012 5:26:29 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

latest sequel details
quote:

But Ridley's got his Blade Runner sequel coming up. I can't see him directing that and Prometheus 2 at the same time. No I reckon if a sequel does go ahead Ridley will stay on as Executive Producer and they'll hire some new talent to take the reins. I'd personally love to see maybe Nick Refn work on this.

True,the Blade Runner sequel will be time consuming and who knows maybe a another could be in the works after that.
But I still think Prometheus will be Ridleys long-haul franchise,something he is going to stick at till the end.
Also Ridley being the type of person that he is ie strong willed and stubborn I cant for see him relinquishing the Prometheus-project to someone else.
But we'll see.

There were slight murmerings of Ridley taking on Joe Haldeman's The Forever War,but I feel this has ended now with Ridley going onto create two sci-fi projects in Prometheus and the Blade Runner sequel.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 49
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 18/6/2012 7:01:00 PM   
jackcarter

there aint no way RS wont direct P2 - not after he missed out on Alien 2 (apparently Fox didnt even ask him). its like Ridleys Avatar or Star Wars (prequels)

if BR 2 is due 2014 then he might dive straight into P2 for 2015 (cant see them being released in 2014 - summer/xmas)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 18/6/2012 7:11:17 PM >

Post #: 50
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 19/6/2012 2:17:53 AM   
Spaldron

I just don't see it happening, unless he ditches BR 2 that is. Besides its still uncertain if there definitely will be a P2, it all depends on its overall takings at the BO.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 19/6/2012 2:18:06 AM >

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 51
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 20/7/2012 4:31:57 AM   
Sotto Voce

If I can just bring us back to the topic; What do we think of doing more Alien films in the vain of the previous 4 (not sequels to Prometheus)?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 52
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 20/7/2012 11:51:15 AM   
st3veebee

To have all these questions brought up in Prometheus and then completely ignored with a seperated franchise installment...I would be pretty miffed.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 53
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 24/7/2012 3:06:22 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

To have all these questions brought up in Prometheus and then completely ignored with a seperated franchise installment...I would be pretty miffed.

Well, it could be done after the Prometheus sequel (if there is one).

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 54
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 24/7/2012 3:14:50 PM   
Rgirvan44

The movie crossed the 300M barrier this weekend.

It is still to open in -

Spain
Austria
Germany
Japan
Switzerland
Italy

Some big markets there - so lets add on about 20M or so - the movie will end up being about as profitable as the Abrams Star Trek if you want a guide as to its chances of a sequel.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 55
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 24/7/2012 3:30:15 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The movie crossed the 300M barrier this weekend.

It is still to open in -

Spain
Austria
Germany
Japan
Switzerland
Italy

Some big markets there - so lets add on about 20M or so - the movie will end up being about as profitable as the Abrams Star Trek if you want a guide as to its chances of a sequel.

Not bad at all considering it is a R rated sci-fi horror and considering Scott's recent BO records. Bring on the sequel!

Presuming we kick off with Shaw on the way to find out the real answers: would we have David's head talking to her the entire film or would they find a way around getting him a new body?

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 56
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 25/7/2012 12:06:56 AM   
Rgirvan44

You have to remember that Prometheus cost a lot less than all those films apart from Apes.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 57
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 25/7/2012 12:26:54 AM   
jackcarter

true. i guess Apes was such a miserable let down no one wanted to do a sequel despite the decent BO (358m) against its 100m budget

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 58
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 25/7/2012 12:28:22 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

true. i guess Apes was such a miserable let down no one wanted to do a sequel despite the decent BO (358m) against its 100m budget

Sorry I was talking about the new Apes film.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 59
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 25/7/2012 2:52:22 AM   
Sotto Voce

We're talking about Prometheus sequels again, aren't we?

Who would like to see another A L I E N flm?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI