Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 5:07:41 PM   
Sotto Voce

Just wondering about the possibility that Prometheus might lead to interest in doing new Alien films. Not sequels to Prometheus, but face-huggers, acid blood, phallises with teeth Alien films. Prometheus doing different things with the franchise is good, but after the AVPs, a lot of people would like to see a proper new Alien film. When you think about it, the last really good one was Aliens. I know Scott says the creature is now too familiar to be scary, but I think it could still work. Get Giger involved and design a new sub-species or something. Explore some of that sexual aspect that Scott talks about. Could involve Ripley, but not necessarily. I'd like to see it happen.

All things digested have a similar hue.
Post #: 1
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 5:35:47 PM   
Cool Breeze

No.

The concept is worn out and the Alien is too familiar to be scary any more.They should just leave it and move on to something new ( fat chance of that happening given that they are remaking and rebooting everything now ).

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 2
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 6:06:06 PM   
Sotto Voce

You do loose some effectiveness with the creature being familiar, but its appearence isn't the only thing that makes the films scary. With script, direction etc. there's no reason you can't still make a scary film with them.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 3
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 6:11:59 PM   
adambatman82

A follow up doesn't have to be a horror film. Prometheus isn't (a horror film) is it?

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 4
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 6:22:10 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

A follow up doesn't have to be a horror film. Prometheus isn't (a horror film) is it?

I think if they were to do it, it should be as much horror as the first 3 Alien films. But also have other plot elements that might tie in a bit with Prometheus. Maybe a bit of a bridge between the two arms of the franchise.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 5
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 6:43:01 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

quote:

I think if they were to do it, it should be as much horror as the first 3 Alien films. But also have other plot elements that might tie in a bit with Prometheus. Maybe a bit of a bridge between the two arms of the franchise.

I'd rather see something that expands upon the vision of Prometheus: a grand science fiction tale.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 6
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 6:50:29 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Whatever happens next,with regards to a Prometheus sequel,do we want Damon Lindelof onboard?.
Yes he gave us some great ideas but his also gave us some bewildering questions and generaly clunky moments.

Post #: 7
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 7:09:50 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd rather see something that expands upon the vision of Prometheus: a grand science fiction tale.

Yeah, I'd be happy if it went in that direction, particularly if it only vaguely references or ties in with the Alien films rather than bombarding us with stuff seen in them.

Post #: 8
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 7:52:02 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Whatever happens next,with regards to a Prometheus sequel,do we want Damon Lindelof onboard?.
Yes he gave us some great ideas but his also gave us some bewildering questions and generaly clunky moments.

I put my enjoyment of Prometheus down to Lindelof, so I'd say yes.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 9
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 8:20:26 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Well theres two ways the sequel could go.
It will either go even more mental and overlay creative or
it will tone down abit and become more finely balanced.
But either Damon establishes character depth or they bring another,experienced writer for collaberation.

Post #: 10
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 9:31:45 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

But either Damon establishes character depth or they bring another,experienced writer for collaberation.

"Finely balanced" between what just out of interest?

I'd like to see the ambitious, out there nature of this film taken further in the sequels. Itd be a shame if they pulled back and went for something a little more straight forward to appease fanboys and lazy audiences.

Post #: 11
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 9:38:52 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

"Finely balanced" between what just out of interest?

I'd like to see the ambitious, out there nature of this film taken further in the sequels. Itd be a shame if they pulled back and went for something a little more straight forward to appease fanboys and lazy audiences.

Interms of character and plot structure.Basically one without many holes.
See the holes in Prometheus are there for all to see,and that is mainly on the fact of weird character developments rather than its main theme of life progression and birth.

The ideas dont bother me,never has but you see a film like Inception where it deals with ideals yet has a strong,solid script.Its clearly much tighter than Prometheus.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 4/6/2012 9:39:31 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 9:46:07 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

See the holes in Prometheus are there for all to see,and that is mainly on the fact of weird character developments rather than its main theme of life progression and birth.

The ideas dont bother me,never has but you see a film like Inception where it deals with ideals yet has a strong,solid script.Its clearly much tighter than Prometheus.

I think the major difference between Inception is that one was designed to be a single film, while the other was clearly intended to be the first part of a trilogy, therefore im hopeful that any major plot holes will be answered in time. I vastly preferred Inception to Prometheus (would go 5 stars with the former, 3 with the latter), but Im fairly sure I remember similar, if not as extreme, complaints being made about Inception and it's scripting upon release too.

Post #: 13
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 4/6/2012 9:52:03 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

I think the major difference between Inception is that one was designed to be a single film, while the other was clearly intended to be the first part of a trilogy, therefore im hopeful that any major plot holes will be answered in time. I vastly preferred Inception to Prometheus (would go 5 stars with the former, 3 with the latter), but Im fairly sure I remember similar, if not as extreme, complaints being made about Inception and it's scripting upon release too.

See I dont have the same confidence.I personally feel Ridly and Damon will send us on a enjoyable,mental goose chase with very little structure or reason at the end of it.
Some people may like that while some might get sceptical and bored of it.

See you look at the ending of Prometheus and you wonder where do they go from here?
Because everything I can think of just seems Naff/Corny at this moment.

Post #: 14
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 5/6/2012 12:30:14 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

See you look at the ending of Prometheus and you wonder where do they go from here?
Because everything I can think of just seems Naff/Corny at this moment.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING OF PROMETHEUS

With the exception of the silly xenomorph-reveal I think the general climax makes it quite clear as to where this is heading - she (and Fass's head) are heading out to the SJ's home planet. I can't think of a more exciting prospect myself!

Post #: 15
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 5/6/2012 1:19:11 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

All the grisly deaths,monsters running around chasing people,and THAT birth scene is enough to classify it as a horror surely?

The sequel is likely to be very short by the way...

EXT: Engineer home planet:

( Shaw is standing in front of thousands of big mean looking engineers carrying Davids severed head )

SHAW: ( To Engineers ) '' Why did you create us? Why do you want to destroy us? ''.

( Engineers blast Shaw and Davids head to smithereens with laser guns )

ENGINEERS: '' Stupid bitch ''.

( Engineers take off in ships to destroy earth )

THE END.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 5/6/2012 1:24:12 AM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 16
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 5/6/2012 7:27:46 AM   
Sotto Voce

I'm talking about new Alien films, not sequels to Prometheus. Come on, get behind it.

Post #: 17
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 5/6/2012 12:39:08 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Spoiler

Despite Prometheus' flaws i'm happy to see the franchise go off in a new direction and I agree with Adam, with Shaw and David flying off to meet the creators of mankind there couldnt really have been a more exciting prospect in terms of a sequel.

The issue's for a sequel comes with the Xeno, was it just tacked on at the end for some link/nod to the original ? or does it serve a purpose to the story and have some part to play in the future with possible sequels ?. I still think there is a big question mark surrounding Vickers whos origins were kind of left open to interpretation. I dont think their finished with that planet just yet.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 18
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 5/6/2012 12:49:32 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Prometheus was a glorious mess of a film. I loved it, but it had so many faults/ flaws which i lay at the feet of Spaights, Lindelof and Scott. A new creative team might be needed to move the franchise forward in a satisfying way.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 19
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 5/6/2012 12:51:43 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

All the grisly deaths,monsters running around chasing people,and THAT birth scene is enough to classify it as a horror surely?

The sequel is likely to be very short by the way...

EXT: Engineer home planet:

( Shaw is standing in front of thousands of big mean looking engineers carrying Davids severed head )

SHAW: ( To Engineers ) '' Why did you create us? Why do you want to destroy us? ''.

( Engineers blast Shaw and Davids head to smithereens with laser guns )

ENGINEERS: '' Stupid bitch ''.

( Engineers take off in ships to destroy earth )

THE END.

I agree that this is the problem with the way prometheus ends. literally where can the series go from the way it ends? Every outcome is dull.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 20
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 5/6/2012 12:54:32 PM   
st3veebee

My mate was sure that her (Elizabeth) story was complete after seeing Prometheus last Friday saying : "she has completed her journey. I can't see a sequel, let alone one with her returning"

I completely disagreed, and after hearing R. Scott on Kermodes show last Friday it would seem that he is keen on more, should this do well in the BO.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 21
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 5/6/2012 11:47:46 PM   
Con Broccolli

This will of course do well at the box office as it has a built in audience. But overall I would think this film is going to severely disappoint. And its not from lack of aliens. Its simply a piss poor story. After that great opening scene it just slipped into auto pilot mode and dished up cliche after cliche after cliche. Utterly disappointed.

Regarding new alien films, I really hope this franchise isn't abandoned. It doesn't matter if the alien is familiar. It can still be scary. Aren't we familiar with the vampire? How many films have been made about them that still scare? Granted not every one  but there are still fresh takes on them. (30 Days of Night was very creepy)

The alien is one of our great movie monsters. It can't run out of steam after three films (I consider Alien 3 a terrific film. Rate it against todays monster movies and it kicks their asses.) This franchise needs a talented director that recognises memorable characters. What did Alien and Aliens have an abundance of? Superb characters. That's what makes a great film.

Prometheus did not.

"I was building a house. I don't deserve this!"
"Deserves got nuthin to do with it"

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 22
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 6/6/2012 12:26:29 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

Not really. The film isn't defined by those moments. Sure, there are horrific instances in there, but the overall focus is on something else.

Post #: 23
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 6/6/2012 12:30:51 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Con Broccolli
Regarding new alien films, I really hope this franchise isn't abandoned. It doesn't matter if the alien is familiar. It can still be scary. Aren't we familiar with the vampire? How many films have been made about them that still scare? Granted not every one  but there are still fresh takes on them. (30 Days of Night was very creepy)

30 Days Of Night was over five years ago, but I think you still have a point. The vampire has been recycled and redefined in to something very different recently (the whole Twilight/True Blood thing). Sure, I don't like it myself, but as a renaissance for a worn out creature its pretty impressive.

Now, I'm not saying the Alien creature ought to be reinvented as a teen-love interest for young women, but a similar genre hop of sorts could work wonders for the character, and I think that thats what Ridley Scott has attempted to do with the roots of the character in Prometheus (which I personally found to be a great success).

(in reply to Con Broccolli)
Post #: 24
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 6/6/2012 1:09:03 AM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

This will of course do well at the box office as it has a built in audience. But overall I would think this film is going to severely disappoint. And its not from lack of aliens. Its simply a piss poor story. After that great opening scene it just slipped into auto pilot mode and dished up cliche after cliche after cliche. Utterly disappointed.

The alien is one of our great movie monsters. It can't run out of steam after three films (I consider Alien 3 a terrific film. Rate it against todays monster movies and it kicks their asses.) This franchise needs a talented director that recognises memorable characters. What did Alien and Aliens have an abundance of? Superb characters. That's what makes a great film.

Prometheus did not.

I wouldn't say the characters or characterisation in Alien to be one of its strongest elements though.

(in reply to Con Broccolli)
Post #: 25
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 6/6/2012 6:57:55 AM   
Sotto Voce

Good, now I can't look at the thread I started because of Prometheus spoilers.

Post #: 26
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 6/6/2012 11:57:39 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

Good, now I can't look at the thread I started because of Prometheus spoilers.

Haha! You can't of expected a thread about future sequels to not reference moments in the film!

Go see it already!!

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 27
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 6/6/2012 12:51:02 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

quote:

Prometheus did not.

I wouldn't say the characters or characterisation in Alien to be one of its strongest elements though.

And the characters in Aliens are some of the most downright unlikeable from any mainstream Hollywood movie.

Post #: 28
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 6/6/2012 1:09:03 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

Spoiler

Despite Prometheus' flaws i'm happy to see the franchise go off in a new direction and I agree with Adam, with Shaw and David flying off to meet the creators of mankind there couldnt really have been a more exciting prospect in terms of a sequel.

The issue's for a sequel comes with the Xeno, was it just tacked on at the end for some link/nod to the original ? or does it serve a purpose to the story and have some part to play in the future with possible sequels ?. I still think there is a big question mark surrounding Vickers whos origins were kind of left open to interpretation. I dont think their finished with that planet just yet.

I think the appearance of the xeno at the end fulfills both roles.  As I see it, it was a bipedal organism born from a proto-facehugger that emerges from the chest of its host.  In that alone, we have had the first establishment of the classic Giger alien lifecycle.  We know that the creature takes on some (but not all) of the characteristics of the host.  So, the extensible 2nd jaw comes from the big facehugger, the bipedalism from the engineer.  So what would happen if the new creature leaves the medipod and makes its way into the pyramid, where it encounters more black goo and changes again?  Somehow the xeno at the end of Prometheus marks the evolution of what will become the same creature we know and love from the earlier movies, thus tying Prometheus to the canon while allowing possible future developments when humans return to LV-223.

As for Vickers, android without a doubt (for reasons set out in the favourite films thread!)

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 29
RE: Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? - 7/6/2012 11:36:38 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Spoiler

I think the appearance of the xeno at the end fulfills both roles.  As I see it, it was a bipedal organism born from a proto-facehugger that emerges from the chest of its host.  In that alone, we have had the first establishment of the classic Giger alien lifecycle.  We know that the creature takes on some (but not all) of the characteristics of the host.  So, the extensible 2nd jaw comes from the big facehugger, the bipedalism from the engineer.  So what would happen if the new creature leaves the medipod and makes its way into the pyramid, where it encounters more black goo and changes again?  Somehow the xeno at the end of Prometheus marks the evolution of what will become the same creature we know and love from the earlier movies, thus tying Prometheus to the canon while allowing possible future developments when humans return to LV-223.

As for Vickers, android without a doubt (for reasons set out in the favourite films thread!)

But Prometheus and Alien take place on separate planets - do you mean when humans return in a Prometheus sequel there could be a xenomorph that has evolved even quicker than we've previously seen due to the black goo? Maybe one with higher brain functions?

And I never even considered the possibility that Vickers might be an android. That, I like. I was hoping she'd see the credits - a hope that increased when we saw shades of Ripley, most notably when she refused to allow an infection on board the Prometheus.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Could / should Prometheus lead to new Alien films? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI