Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ian Dury and the Blockheads

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Ian Dury and the Blockheads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ian Dury and the Blockheads - 2/6/2012 11:37:46 PM   
Biggus

Any more love for Mr Dury out there? I first really started to get into his music 2 or 3 years ago and wished I'd done a lot sooner. A brilliant observational poet with a wonderful taste for the lewd and backed by one of the finest bands England has ever produced. Wish I could have seen them live.

Here are a couple of great live performances of two of his most famous songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBLeVcP_JQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB00GTgyxMk

< Message edited by Biggus -- 2/6/2012 11:38:06 PM >

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/
Post #: 1
RE: Ian Dury and the Blockheads - 3/6/2012 7:28:19 AM   
Lucky Day

LOVE Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Possibly the greatest of their era, but I can't seperate them and the Clash. The Blockheads still tour. Under the title Ian Dury's Blockheads. Not the same I know, but still enjoyable.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 2
RE: Ian Dury and the Blockheads - 3/6/2012 10:14:33 AM   
Sledge Hammer

Vaguely Blockhead related but I thought I would post it anyway.

A few years ago, I got invited to an all expenses paid trip to Glen Eagles for 3 days/ 2 nights - it was a conference with plenty of guest speakers along the way.

Anyway, one of these guest speakers was Simon Woodroffe who was one of the original Dragons from Dragons Den in series 1 (he invented Yo Sushi). The guy was a complete wacko who got incredibly lucky to make a million pounds but thats by the way.

He told us his story of yo sushi and how he ventually sold it ( a good story in itself) but then said that after he sold it, he didnt know what to do. He decided to write a song (or more importantly the lyrics to a song. Now growing up his favourite band were Ian Dury and the Blockheads so he sent off the lyrics to the band after having met them at Ian Durys funeral. A few months later, one of the Blockheads (I cant remember which one) called him up and invited him down to a studio to record it.

So Simon Woodroffe, Dragon, recorded his song with the Blockheads! And to my jaw dropping astonishment, he got a mic, proceeded to belt out his number in front of a room of about 50 bewildered business people there to hear about fund management. Legendary!

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 3
RE: Ian Dury and the Blockheads - 6/6/2012 10:26:13 AM   
sharkboy

Dury was a legend, and one of the best lyricists this country ever produced.  My first ever exposure to his music was watching the Blockheads perform What A Waste on TOTP way back, and I was instantly fascinated.  Then came the brilliant Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick and I was straight out to buy New Boots and Panties and Do It Yourself.  There was just something about the music-hall punk feel that both amused and entertained me back then.  And of course there were the masterful word play and innuendo-filled lyrics of the likes of Billericay Dickie or This Is What We Find, guaranteed to make a just-teenage boy smirk   Just realised too that he would have turned 70 a couple of weeks ago had he lived.

Aside from Dury himself, the Blockheads were an incredibly talented bunch of musicians.  As an aspiring bassist, I was in awe of Norman Watt-Roy, and the bass line for Rhythm Stick is still one of my favourites.  Around 1986, I was waiting on the stairs of a pub in Belfast to see The Wilko Johnston Band, and started talking with my friends about his playing with Dr Feelgood and the Blockheads.  "Of course," I said, "as good as Wilko was in the Blockheads, Norman Watt-Roy was miles better".  "Why thank you very much" came a voice from behind me on the stairs.  I turned to see Mr Watt-Roy grinning in front of me, bass guitar case in hand.  I even got talking with him and Wilko after the gig and they were both sound blokes, with lots of stories about Dury and life on the road.

If you haven't already seen it, I can highly recommend the recent movie "Sex & Drugs & Rock'n'Roll", about Dury's life.  Andy Serkis does a hell of a job portraying Dury, warts and all.  And now I'll just leave with some of my favourite lyrics from the Rhythm Stick b-side, the classic "Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards"

Van Gogh did some eyeball pleasers
He must have been a pencil squeezer
He didn't do the Mona Lisa
That was an Italian geezer

There ain't half been some clever bastards
Lucky bleeders
Lucky bleeders

Einstein can't be classed as witless
He claimed atoms were the littlest
When you did a bit of splitiness
Frightened everybody shitless

Probably got help from their mum who had help from her mum
Now that we've had some let's hope that there's lots more to come

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 4
RE: Ian Dury and the Blockheads - 20/6/2012 5:28:23 PM   
Harley Quinn

My Mum saw him live several times when he was with Kilburn and the Highroads and said he was always fantastic.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Ian Dury and the Blockheads - 22/6/2012 6:54:38 PM   
great_badir

Never had the pleasure of seeing Dury himself, but I saw the Blockheads with Phill Jupitus (which was not as bad as it sounds) about five years ago. Obviously Jupitus is no replacement for Dury (and, to be fair, Jupitus himself agrees), but it was a pretty damn good show nevertheless. They were and are brilliant musicians and a friend of mine used to work for Trevor Horn at ZTT records. He maintains (as he was in the studio during recording) to this day that the music on Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Welcome to the Pleasure Dome is at least 60% played by the Blockheads, mainly featuring stuff from their 'Relax' sessions. Interesting little tid bit that.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 6
RE: Ian Dury and the Blockheads - 9/9/2012 8:07:48 PM   
Biggus

Off to see the Blockheads at the Waterfront in Norwich in November.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 7
RE: Ian Dury and the Blockheads - 9/9/2012 10:27:23 PM   
SilentBob

Good to hear Spasticus Autisticus during the opening ceremony of the Paralympics.

Blah Blah Blah

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Ian Dury and the Blockheads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI