Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A musical quest........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> A musical quest........ Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A musical quest........ - 2/6/2012 1:18:23 PM   
Sledge Hammer

As some of you may or may not know from my postings in other sections, I run a couple of sites myself. I just posted the following on my forum but thought I would post it on here as well and hopefully get some support along the way! So this is a direct transcript of my post and I would welcome you all to comment below if you want to help out or make suggestions!

quote:

This site has been running for just over a year now, and in that time we have had some quite fantastic interviews with sports stars, as well as the odd TV celeb as well.

However, we have never really had much joy in getting the music section growing or succeeded in attracting any musicians to do a Q&A with us. But that is about to change.

Don't get me wrong - the site has no one lined up but over the next year, when we look back, we will have conducted quite a few. Let me explain....

Every week, a free newspaper is produced called shortlist - you might have read it yourself. Quite an enjoyable read, as it covers a multitude of topics. One of the feature writers is a guy called Danny Wallace and this is where the musical journey of this site starts, with Mr Wallace.

For those of you who don't know, Danny Wallace has written several books. I fact, he has one out at the moment called Charlotte Street - if you are reading this Danny, send me a copy and I will review it for the site! Anyway, back to Danny and his books. His most famous publishing is most probably Yes Man which got turned into a Jim Carrey movie a few years back (with a cameo from Mr Wallace). But its not really his books that have any significance to this story. In fact, Danny is only part of the reason for our future success in getting some interviews.

Danny used to live with a guy called Dave Gorman. And this is the real start of my own personal quest. Danny drunkenly challenged his flatmate to go and find "loads" of other Dave Gormans. And by "loads", the number was set at 54. So Danny Wallace, published writer, regular feature writer, Hollywood movie creator bet his flatmate to go and find 54 other Dave Gormans.

And a whole story evolved. Dave went on an odyssey to find his namesake and recorded the findings, eventually turning it into a stage show and television show. For those who have seen it, Dave manages to turn a Powerpoint presentation into a hilarious tale of how he won his drunken bet.

And that is where my music odyssey starts - with a drunken bet.

Now let me clarify something right here. The bet was not made with Dave Gorman or Danny Wallace (although if they want in, they can contact me) - it was made with my mate Alex, who is neither a stand up comedian or writer.

So what was the bet?

Well after drinking a fair few shandies, we had just finished watching Guns n Roses in Glasgow. Axel had finally departed the stage at gone 1.30am and I turned to my mate and said "I am going to interview him for the site". The stakes were set and hands were shook. And that was that.

Of course in the morning, I woke up with a sense of "what have I done?". But never being one to turn down a challenge, I have decided to follow the road map set out by Misters Gorman and Wallace and document my road to the interview.

So how am I going to do it?

Well, I am setting myself a roadmap to success. And that is the point of this article. To let you all know how I get on, and give you updates as I go.

So step 1 is to meet some other rock/ pop stars of years gone by and work my way up from there to Mr Rose. I am going to set myself a 5 step interview plan to get to where I need to be. And as its my quest to start with, I am going to take in some personal favourites along the way.

My first target to talk to is going to be Mr Derek Dick aka Fish. Not only is he a personal favourite of mine, I saw him in concert two nights after Guns n Roses in Glasgow so it makes it feel somewhat appropriate.

Which leaves me with 3 other names to fill in along the way.

So how can everyone help? Well first of all you can follow my quest on twitter here @meetaxel.

Secondly, you can let me know who the other 3 should be on my way to meet Axel.

Thirdly, grease the wheels. If you know something or someone who can help, let me know. You can get me on adamd@v2journal.com

And my promise to you (and my mate Alex) is that I will interview Axel Rose starting from 1 year today. And you will read about my epic quest here......

Interview targets:

1. Fish
5. Axel Rose

If you know people who can help, it was posted here - http://v2journal.com/musical-odyssey-to-meet-axel.html

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!
Post #: 1
RE: A musical quest........ - 11/6/2012 7:08:50 PM   
Sledge Hammer

No one replied to my last thread but I thought I would post the update anyway! You never know, I might get someone interested!

Its been a week since my self proclaimed musical odyssey began.

For first time readers of this column, two weeks ago, I set myself a mission to meet one of the most reclusive rock stars on the planet within the next year, I set myself the nigh on impossible task of gaining an audience with Mr Axl Rose (Read about it here). And for the pedants who read the first draft of my far fetched destiny will know, the week didnt get off to the greatest of starts....

The article was published, the roadmap to success was set and the twitter account was up and running. I even started to tweet the article to Guns N Roses band members amongst others. Surely all I had to do now was wait.

And wait.

After a few days it became quite apparent that this was going to take more than a few tweets to get things moving. But worse than this - much , much worse than this - was that in documenting and subsequently mentioning it to Guns n Roses themselves, I had made a slight typo. And it was in the worst possible place.

I was apparently trying to meet AXEL Rose who I guess is not the same person as Axl Rose. On reflection, maybe looking for Axel Rose would be easier. Maybe there was someone out there who enjoyed both Harold Faltermeyers 80's smash and flowers so much that they changed their name. And now I was starting an internet trek to meet him.

Who knows? Either way, neither Axel or Axl seemed too interested in making contact at this point. And nor did Fish for that matter, who appeared just as reluctant to meet/talk/ acknowledge.

Yes, this story was going nowhere, via a misspelled detour, very fast.

But then I had an idea. And this idea wasn't half bad. If I couldn't get to talk to Fish just yet, I would take baby steps in his direction. And those baby steps started by getting in touch with his past. [please note that was going to say Fishes past but it dawned on me you can not pluralise "fish" and it would lead to a whole world of confusion as to whether it would be "fish", "Fishs" , "Fishes" or Fishi" - it's "he" from now on].

So where did it start for Fish? Well most of you will know Fish from his days with Marillion. And as luck would have it, whilst standing in the queue for the Fish concert a few weeks back, I was handed a flyer for "Stillmarillion" - a Fish era Marillion tribute band. Maybe, this band could get me an audience with the first stepping stone in my quest.

Which leads me to tonight. After dropping the band a few messages via various methods, the bands keyboardist got in touch with me just moments ago. And they have given me my first success on this road to Mr Rose. So it is with great pleasure that I announce that very soon, I will be meeting the closest thing there is to Fish - the band that play his hits for a living.

When I started my odyssey, I knew that this journey would be a long and lonely road. And for that reason, I knew that I couldnt do it alone. Which is why I have invited you all along with me on the way. And as you are reading this, hopefully, you are with me in spirit as I take my first movement towards the end game.

In that spirit of community togetherness, I therefore invite you all to join me in asking questions to one of the greatest tribute acts I have personally seen (this is not brown nose hyperbole - the last time I saw them, they were actually better than the last time I saw the actual Marilllion line up!). So, should you have a question, no matter how bizarre, please let me know and I will do my best to pose it to them when we meet.

So for now, dont forget to follow me in my journey and follow @meetaxl and tell others about the long road ahead. Until next time, when I will be one step closer, I look forward to reading your questions! (post them below)

A

If you would like to see StillMarillion live in concert, and join me for a beer, then they are playing in Glasgow at the ABC2 on Saturday the 30th June.

Check it out!

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 2
RE: A musical quest........ - 20/6/2012 10:33:55 PM   
Sledge Hammer

Its week 3 already and still Axl hasn’t called or written. I really hope that he is okay.

I was sure by now that Mr Rose would have read my opening gambit and have contacted me via email. I am sure that he has tried to but maybe his internet provider is having a few issues. That’s it for sure – Beverly Hills or wherever it is he lives (note to self – do a little research on Axl before you meet him) has had server issues for the last fortnight.

By the time you read this note, I am convinced that Los Angeles will be back on line and my inbox will ping with “you have mail” from the desktop of the GnR front man.

Until then I am still drawing up my roadmap of how to get me in front of the reclusive rock star.

Now as you may remember, I set out my starting and finishing point in the very first article. And although that infernal internet outage on the west coast of America has prevented me from talking to Axl, I have made movements towards meeting my number 1 target on my musical odyssey.

For regular readers of this column, you will already be aware that my first pit stop is to meet the ex frontman of Marillion. And although my attempts thus far had drawn a blank, things had began moving in the right direction when I managed to secure a interview with the premiere Fish Era Marillion tribute band [Still Marillion].

The interview itself is taking place next week, so make sure to check it out when its published. And whilst I am at it, thank you for your questions.

So what has happened since then? Well quite a lot actually.

On Monday evening, my inbox alerted me to a new message. Now this happens a lot, and isn’t really that exciting in isolation. In fact if the email notification alert tone was an exciting occurrence and reason for writing an article, I would be up there with the Grishams and Patersons with regards for output. My inbox is a hive of activity akin to a...err....hive? Lets just say its rather busy. Talking of hives, maybe I should make Sting one of my stepping stones towards Axl?

(if anyone wants to drop me a message or help me in my journey, feel free to make that inbox even more fervent - adamd@v2journal.com)

Anyway, back to this particular email and how my short journey thus far suddenly took one massive step in the right direction.

Fish emailed me.

Now don’t get me wrong – the message wasn’t a huge letter of epic proportions, extolling the merits of my quest and how I, above all others, can gain a audience with the Scottish legend. However, it wasn't a "go away" either. In fact it was quite a pleasant matter of fact "this is my email address - I am going to Malta for a few days".

Needless to say, the email has given me a huge confidence boost and more importantly is personally a huge thrill! One of my favourite singers of all time has emailed me! Me!

This odyssey is beginning to gain momentum and hopefully my next contact with Fish will be the result I want - a interview in place with real rock royalty (although to those unfamiliar with him, you might only consider him a 3rd cousin removed to the Earl of Sandwich - to me heir to the throne)

So there you have it - I am now have a small amount of access to Mr Fish's inbox and more importantly, he knows that I am on the face of this planet, moving slowly towards my goal of meeting Axl Rose. So whilst I await the return of my first interlude in my musical dalliance to these fair shores, I move on to StillMarillion in Glasgow tomorrow evening.

By the time next week comes around, I will hopefully have the news that you my readers have been hoping for - first contact on the quest to meet Axl.

Until then, if you are in the vicinity of Glasgow, come and join me on the 30th at the ABC where I will be joining StillMarillion for a night of classic rock and if nothing else, make sure to read the full interview next week.

A

Check it out!

Post #: 3
RE: A musical quest........ - 28/6/2012 10:03:22 PM   
Sledge Hammer

week 4:

So here I am once more, in the playground of the rich and famous.

Or more closely to the truth, hope to be in the presence of the stars who are going to make me rich and famous.

As you will all know by now, I have been on a mission to track down and interview a certain Mr Axl Rose within a year due to a bet that I took on late one Friday evening in Glasgow. In fact you could say that Axl only has himself to blame - if he had strolled onto the SECC stage at a reasonable time, then I am sure that the following drink consumption wouldnt have been any where near as much/ damaging and the terms of my bet never seen the light of day (and we nearly did see the light of day due to the finishing time of the GnR gig). Anyway, thats by the by and the challenge....accepted.

So back to the misssion so far. My first step towards meeting Axl was to track down 4 other other rock stars on the way, the first of which was a certain Mr Derek Dick aka Fish. Now so far, my attempts to track down the Scottish singer had led me very slowly in the direction of an email address from him, as well as a short note confirming that he had received my email.

So whilst I planned my next assault on getting an interview, I decided to talk to a Marillion tribute band called Still Marillion. And I am pleased to announce that I met them this week ahead of their Glasgow concert this weekend. The full interview can be read here - http://v2journal.com/still-marillion-help-me-meet-axl-week-4.html . Hopefully you will find it a great read and a real insight into tribute bands in general.

What I found outrageous and just incomprehensible was that these guys are performers and yet get no action from the ladies! Have all those rock band videos been lying to us for all of those years? Next you will be telling me that Alice Cooper prefers golf to sex, drugs and Rock'n'roll! Needless to say, on the groupie bombshell, I have decided to abandon rehearsals for my one man Chico tribute act altogether.

A big thank you to all of the band for their time in answering the questions - don't forget people to check them out if you are in Glasgow this weekend (the ABC2 on Saturday night)
Anyway, back to my search and BIG news.

This Monday, I got a missed call on my phone (once again, nothing too unusual there). Naturally I dialled it back to find out who it was.

"Hi - you just dialled my mobile and I didnt answer it in time"

"Oh yeah. Its Derek....."

**Silence""

"Its Derek.....Fish"

**cue me losing my ability to speak as my jaw is removed from the floor**

"You want to interview me? What about this afternoon?"

Now at this point I would like to point out that I am grinning like a little schoolboy and am now babbling incoherently. However, I somehow manage to communicate that I had other commitments at that time but could do it later in the week. And there you have it - next week, I am meeting Derek. One of my musical idols. At his house no less!

So quite unbelievably, I am going to meet the man they call the Fish and I will have achieved my first landmark in this journey to meet Axl. Between now and then, I should really think about who is next.

Until next week, have a good one and remember - if you want girls, dont join a tribute band!

Make sure to follow me @meetaxl or drop me an email at adamd@v2journal.com

I will interview Axl Rose within a year (2nd June). And you will read about my epic quest here......

(I actually met Fish for the interview today - love the picture in his studio -

Check it out!

Post #: 4
RE: A musical quest........ - 29/6/2012 3:58:50 PM   
Arron_

I'm enjoying this. Keep them coming.

Post #: 5
RE: A musical quest........ - 29/6/2012 4:03:50 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

week 4:

So here I am once more, in the playground of the rich and famous.

Or more closely to the truth, hope to be in the presence of the stars who are going to make me rich and famous.

As you will all know by now, I have been on a mission to track down and interview a certain Mr Axl Rose within a year due to a bet that I took on late one Friday evening in Glasgow. In fact you could say that Axl only has himself to blame - if he had strolled onto the SECC stage at a reasonable time, then I am sure that the following drink consumption wouldnt have been any where near as much/ damaging and the terms of my bet never seen the light of day (and we nearly did see the light of day due to the finishing time of the GnR gig). Anyway, thats by the by and the challenge....accepted.

So back to the misssion so far. My first step towards meeting Axl was to track down 4 other other rock stars on the way, the first of which was a certain Mr Derek Dick aka Fish. Now so far, my attempts to track down the Scottish singer had led me very slowly in the direction of an email address from him, as well as a short note confirming that he had received my email.

So whilst I planned my next assault on getting an interview, I decided to talk to a Marillion tribute band called Still Marillion. And I am pleased to announce that I met them this week ahead of their Glasgow concert this weekend. The full interview can be read here - http://v2journal.com/still-marillion-help-me-meet-axl-week-4.html . Hopefully you will find it a great read and a real insight into tribute bands in general.

What I found outrageous and just incomprehensible was that these guys are performers and yet get no action from the ladies! Have all those rock band videos been lying to us for all of those years? Next you will be telling me that Alice Cooper prefers golf to sex, drugs and Rock'n'roll! Needless to say, on the groupie bombshell, I have decided to abandon rehearsals for my one man Chico tribute act altogether.

A big thank you to all of the band for their time in answering the questions - don't forget people to check them out if you are in Glasgow this weekend (the ABC2 on Saturday night)
Anyway, back to my search and BIG news.

This Monday, I got a missed call on my phone (once again, nothing too unusual there). Naturally I dialled it back to find out who it was.

"Hi - you just dialled my mobile and I didnt answer it in time"

"Oh yeah. Its Derek....."

**Silence""

"Its Derek.....Fish"

**cue me losing my ability to speak as my jaw is removed from the floor**

"You want to interview me? What about this afternoon?"

Now at this point I would like to point out that I am grinning like a little schoolboy and am now babbling incoherently. However, I somehow manage to communicate that I had other commitments at that time but could do it later in the week. And there you have it - next week, I am meeting Derek. One of my musical idols. At his house no less!

So quite unbelievably, I am going to meet the man they call the Fish and I will have achieved my first landmark in this journey to meet Axl. Between now and then, I should really think about who is next.

Until next week, have a good one and remember - if you want girls, dont join a tribute band!

Make sure to follow me @meetaxl or drop me an email at adamd@v2journal.com

I will interview Axl Rose within a year (2nd June). And you will read about my epic quest here......

(I actually met Fish for the interview today - love the picture in his studio -

Did you ask about that picture of him they always used to show in Viz with his cock out?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 6
RE: A musical quest........ - 29/6/2012 7:15:59 PM   
Sledge Hammer

Amazingly, I didnt ask him!

Thanks for the feedback - really enjoying writing these. Hopefully it will lead to me meeting Axl but still a long way to go.

I am actually amazed that I got to meet my first target within four weeks of starting though! Next weeks article is the interview with Fish and where I reveal my next target. Biggest rock band of the 80's.......

Check it out!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 7
RE: A musical quest........ - 1/7/2012 10:29:49 PM   
Sledge Hammer

Week 5 - Landing the Fish (Interview with Fish)

For those of you new to this series of articles, a month back, I made a little wager with a friend of mine that I would get to interview Axl Rose before next June.

This series serves as a chronicle of my journey towards meeting the Guns N Roses singer, taking in the pitstops along the way.

In the first article, I stated that I was going to break up my end game by putting in a 4 other musical geniuses along the way. And in that first article, I made my first target a personal pleasure of mine - the man they call the Fish.

For long time readers of the journey so far (not sure if 4 weeks worth of articles is long time but bear with me), you will know that last week, I got a call from the Scottish legend to go and interview him. Well I am now delighted to say that the interview took place last Thursday at his home.

So without further ado, I will break from the usual progress report and offer up for this week only, a straight up interview.

On Thursday the 28th of June 2012, which incidentally was a bleak Scottish summer day (I was literally chasing the clouds home on the way back), I met Derek at his home in Haddington. And for a self confessed Fish/ Marillion fan, it was a musical dream come true. Derek was in superb form and after making me a cuppa (there's a story for the grandkids! A musical hero of mine making me a tea!) he took me around the studio. And what a tour it was - the studio is adorned not only with the original Mark Wilkerson artworks to Fish's solo work, but also his Marillion work.

After a brief chat about the studios history and various topics such as music piracy, we got stuck into the interview proper. Over the 90 minutes that I spent with Derek, he was welcoming and never short on thoughts. As you can see from my opening question of "hope you are well?", Yes and No answers were never going to be offered up!

During the time we spent together, we talked on quite a few subjects including the new album (Feast of Consequences), other projects on the go, celebrity culture and Scottish Football. Hopefully you will find it just as enthralling as I did - Derek is obviously incredibly well read and this shines through in his thought processes. In all of the interviews that I have done over the last 18 months, this has been by a long way my favourite and most interesting.

Having enjoyed his work for the best part of 25 years, having met him, I can clearly and easily understand how he has written some of the finest lyrics ever laid down on a track. A bold statement yes, but also very true. I could easily go into how he has put every emotional fibre into his lyrics but I might as well let you hear it from him directly!

So all it leaves me to do is to thank Derek for his generous time and to let you all know about my next two targets that hopefully Fish will help me meet!

Before I do that though, if you enjoyed what Derek had to say, and want to try out some of his music, feel free to drop me a line and I will make you some recommendations. Also, if, like me, you are already a fan, I would like to tell you that the Fish Heads (what a great name for the fan club! I will have to get one for my fans (both of them) - the Axl greasers perhaps?) convention is taking place over the weekend of the 20/21st October in Leamington Spa (details on the Fish website here.

So over to you Fish.........

http://v2journal.com/landing-the-fish-meetaxl-week-5.html

The next two targets on my list are.........

Thin Lizzie

and

Brian May

Meetaxl is now on holiday for two weeks but will be back with hopefully some news on my next two targets. Have a good one Axl-Greasers!!

Check it out!

Post #: 8
RE: A musical quest........ - 1/8/2012 8:04:59 PM   
Sledge Hammer

For anyone who was reading and enjoying this, here is the latest instalment:

The holiday is over and I am now back in a cold and miserable Scotland. This is summer 2012, Glasgow style. But my spirits couldnt be higher.

That's because I get to write another update in my continuing mission to meet the man who fronts GnR.

And like the film, Field of Dreams, if I write it, Axl will come [to me in time]. Before I start on yet another beautifully lyrical tour de force of how I nearly met the cymbal player from Uriah Heep, I want to go back to my holiday.

As I lay there on the beach, I pondered my journey so far and how far I had come in such a short time. I also thought about how all those messages of good will and all the leads I had towards meeting the echelons of rock royalty would be waiting for me when I landed back in Scotland. Unfortunately, my inbox was not exactly burgeoning upon my return but that's neither here nor there.

So here I was lying on a sun lounger staring out at the Mediterranean. Who should I go for next? Obviously Thin Lizzy and Brian May would be my next targets but I had time on my hands to meet these guys. And meet them I will, just not yet. So who WOULD be next?

As I pondered all of the possibilities that lay before me, I stared up at the skies and asked for divine guidance. And someone up there talked to me. I WAS given a sign. Unfortunately, that sign was sponsored by the good people at the Magaluf Sol resort who had paid a local pilot to fly a crop duster to drag a banner across the Costa skyline advertising George Benson in late July. Was this really who He wanted me to talk to next? Maybe it was - after all rock is supposedly the devils music and not very cherubic. If God's jukebox had a favourites playlist, I am sure that Mr Rose would not exactly be nestled in amongst George Benson and Garth Brooks.

It became apparent that looking towards the skies wasn't going to give me the sign I needed. Maybe looking down was the way to go....and it so very nearly was. At my feet was a local newspaper announcing the coming gigs. And lo and behold GnR were coming to the area.

Now if this was a film, I would have read this 30 minutes before the concert was about to start, whilst chatting to Sandra Bullock no doubt. Unfortunately, this wasn't a film, the concert wasn't in 30 minutes time and the sun lounger guy was more Sandy Bollocks than Sandra Bullock. The concert was two weeks away which was great news until I realised that my flight home was nine days away.

Obviously God does read my column and this is His idea of a prank (or possibly getting His own back for me not doing a feature called #meetcliff). Either way, Mr Rose was going to escape my clutches one more time. So near, yet so far (who am I kidding - So far, so far at the moment).

So my short cut to the finish line was taken away as quickly as it had been found. Which brought me crashing back to earth - literally (I had fallen asleep on the sun lounger and rolled off in my slumber). Once again my thoughts turned back to who I would target before my next milestones. Should I go old or new? Young or Old? Classic or Indie? Mullet or Mullet?

My last article was the milestone of meeting Fish and for me it was a day up there with the best. A day I will remember for the rest of my - well until the morning after the night I go partying with Axl. In my mind, it had already been decided - before the quantum leap onto my next round of rockers, I wanted to get back in to the swing of things. I wanted to go back to what I knew and carry on directly from where I left off. And that meant talking to the rest of Marillion.

And that is where I leave this week's edition - with the knowledge that I have got an interview lined up with Ian Mosley from Marillion. In the next few weeks, I will be catching up with one of the most under rated drummers in music today. And if any of you #meetaxl fans want me to ask him a question, make sure to either tweet me with it @meetaxl or drop me an email at adamd@v2journal.com

Until next time, wrap up warm - we still have another two months of Scottish summer ahead.

Check it out!

Post #: 9
RE: A musical quest........ - 17/8/2012 8:23:17 PM   
Sledge Hammer

Its been two months since I started on my musical road trip that is hopefully going to lead to meeting Axl. And of course, meeting Mr Rose is not the enjoyable part. For me, happiness is the road along the way.

When I started this journey, I decided to take in a few stops on the way. Namely, I decided to set myself 4 landmarks along the way - 4 acts that would see me build towards my ultimate goal. However, after meeting my first idol, I had my road to Damascus moment.

These milestones were not what I wanted this journey to be about. Sure they were important, but they were not the reason I was doing this. I want to have fun and meet the people who matter to me. The people who formed my love of music. To bypass the acts that I love in favour of notching a mark on my bedpost towards GnR was, is and will be wrong.

So this week, I had a choice.

Thanks to the nice people at the Carlisle Sands Centre, I had the opportunity to see Thin Lizzy, my second target on my hit list. Or I could meet the drummer with my favourite band of all time.

So this week, I postponed pit stop number 2 to take in an act important to me. Some of you might have thought I had lost my marbles, but all I can say is thank goodness I did. I could have been somewhere else but deep down, there really only ever was going to be one person I wanted to meet.

Ian Mosley

The story of Marillion is an interesting one. When the name is mentioned, non fans will automatically think of their 80's hits. But the band are so much more than that. In fact, they have been together now as the current line up for close to 24 years. They have released 16 studio albums and are just about to release their 17th in the next few weeks. To try and pigeon hole them is a challenge even more difficult than meeting Axl.

In fact, when the band were recently asked to describe the single "Pour My Love", guitarist Steve Rothery described it as "Marillion meets Prince". The only track that has been released so far on youtube (see below) is completely different again, showcasing the harmonies that can only be achieved by a group who have grown together, along with a typically haunting vocal from lead singer Steve Hogarth.

If I was to use one word to describe Marillion, it would be one used by them on one of their albums - Brave. From mixing genres to leaving their record label and ask their fans to fund their albums through pre-orders, Ian and Co have never been anything but confident in going against convention.

Over the years, I have seen Marillion in concert more than any other band. And following my interview with Ian, my already sky-high opinion of the band has got better. Ian gave up his evening to chat with me and at no point seemed eager to stop/ As you will hear, he came over as incredibly likeable and incredibly relaxed but then again, this is an artist who has been doing what he loves with Marillion for 28 years!

During the chat, we talked of the new album, the tours and some of the influences he had developing as a musician. I would implore anyone who has any preconceptions of thinking they know Marillion to check out their back catalog and the new album - who wouldn't want to hear Marillion and Prince on one track!

The tour starts again in early September, so hopefully this article and article will inspire you to go and give Marillion a try. I am sure they will surprise you.

Finally - a big thanks to Ian for his time and to Lucy for arranging.

here is the link to the article on v2 which has the audio and videos - http://v2journal.com/drumming-up-business-meetaxl-episode-7.html

Check it out!

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> A musical quest........ Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI