Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: PROMETHEUS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 7:18:58 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Regarding another directors cut from Scott , Id certainly like to see it but I don't think it would solve all the films problems.

Maybe not all, but I'd feel confident it could be a much better film. The Kingdom Of Heaven theatrical release was pretty poor, but the DC is bloody marvellous. If Prometheus got the same level of improvement it would be outstanding.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 61
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 8:17:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

Think people need to keep their expectations in check with regard to a DC solving a lot of the films issues.

You might get some character beats, and some clearer action, but I suspect not much was left on the floor.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 62
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 8:23:33 PM   
Mojo

After two viewings I still love the film for its look and atmosphere, as well as how bold it aspires to be. But I agree with complaints about Filfield turning into something from The Crazies, there really does appear to be no reason for this to happen other than to throw a little bit of action into the mix. Cheapened the film somewhat.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 63
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 10:07:40 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

After two viewings I still love the film for its look and atmosphere, as well as how bold it aspires to be. But I agree with complaints about Filfield turning into something from The Crazies, there really does appear to be no reason for this to happen other than to throw a little bit of action into the mix. Cheapened the film somewhat.

I concur, it was one of the poorer aspects of the film. We see Fifield's helmet melting into his face (which was pretty cool if you ask me!), and my thoughts when I saw that was 'game over man'! Becasue he should have no face by now, or even a head if you look at the way it took seconds for the acid to destroy the helmet. And then we see him later on all of a sudden with just a case of acne on his face, wreaking havoc? I just couldn't buy that! I think the film could have done without that moment.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 64
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 10:16:38 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Has anyone satisfactorily come up with a reason for the opening sequence? I really cannot work out what that Engineer was doing. Why was he left on the unspecified planet as a ship that was nothing like the "croissant" takes off? Why would he drink the black goo?

For me, that scene makes no sense, and if it was explained, I reckon it would go a long way to explaining the rest of the film a lot more, too.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 65
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 10:24:18 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Has anyone satisfactorily come up with a reason for the opening sequence? I really cannot work out what that Engineer was doing. Why was he left on the unspecified planet as a ship that was nothing like the "croissant" takes off? Why would he drink the black goo?

For me, that scene makes no sense, and if it was explained, I reckon it would go a long way to explaining the rest of the film a lot more, too.

He drank the black goo (same ones in the chamber) to give us life.
Now what I dont get is:why?,and why do they now want to destroy us?.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 66
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 10:25:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

It is Earth. The SJ sacrificed itself to help the building blocks of mankind. Why they did this we do not know.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 67
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 10:33:34 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

The opening scene is what sets up the whole 'Chariots of the Gods' aspect of the film. The Engineer is on earth, left by the 'mothership' hence why it doesn't look like the traditional 'croissant'! It's more bigger than the croissant ship. Anyway, the Engineer's purpose was to start or kick-start human life on earth via sacrificing himself by eating that black goo. That black goo is what is found on the ships later on. The opening is taken from ancient text's, the Sumerian's, who were an ancient culture here on earth believed that human life started via alien influence. These people recorded a lot of data on stones, pots etc which baffle scientists even today. Because it accurately depicts star systems, like Sirius million's of light years away. The ancient sumerians even believed that the alien god 'Ea' rose from the sea wearing an eagle mask/helmet- which resembles the helmet of the Engineers! Coincidence? I think so! But thats the idea behind the opening!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 4/6/2012 11:14:29 PM >

Post #: 68
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 10:58:24 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

OK, before i read through this thread i'll post my thoughts. There will be more to come but ill try and stay as succint as possible. First off, i LOVED the movie, however i consider it to be incredibly flawed and there is a lot that i wish was done differently. Fan theories that turned out to be way off, well let's just say that i wish the movie had actually been true to a lot of these theories as there were many missed opportunities in the movie. I thought the first half was excellent, great set up, i just think it fell apart in the payoff, or at least wasnt as interesting as it couldve been. I wanted a darker and more disturbing experience, and at times Prometheus felt, dare i say it, slightly pedestrian.

i really wish the theory of Weyland putting on a space jockey suit and stealing the derelict had been true, as Weyland had NO pay off whatsoever and when he got killed i was like 'is that it???' it didnt even pay off the Prometheus title (the myth) as Weyland stealing the suit and getting into the chair (to elongate his own life and become part alien/ space jockey) wouldve been great and would have paid off the Prometheus myth perfectly. i was so sure that they were going to go in this direction, but unfortunately Weyland's presence on the ship served absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

The creatures and various stages didnt seem to link to each other or tie in together at all. they just had kind of one scene cameos and that was it. Where were all the horrific deaths of crew members that i was expecting? Everything was in the trailers and unfortunately there were no surprises or shocks to be found in that regard, and in the movie in general.

I was surprise by how mnuch the movie lifted from brian De Palmas mission to mars. the ending is the same, with the lead character getting in an alien ship to go off to the home world of our creators, mission to mars also has a structure on the planet with a face on it and a sadnstorm sequence!

Damon Lindelof's fingerprints were all over this, excellent set up but poor pay off. I wish the makers had 'dared' more. dared to let their imaginations take the great set up and concept further.

I may make it sound like i didnt like the movie, and thats not true, i loved it, but it couldve gone so much further, done so much more.

I LOVE the engineers and think the scene at the beginning at the waterfall was just staggeringly epic and immense. If only the rest of the movie couldve delivered upon this, as i felt ultimately we learnt nothing more about them at all.

The fx were great, the creatures were great but i wanted more. more crazy alien lifeforms, not just everything we saw in the trailer. Why did Fifeld mutate? i thought he was going to turn into some horrific creature but no, he just went mad then got torched. Similarly Holloway, who i was convinced was going to 'evolve' into an engineer or something just got torched before there was a chance for anything interesting to happen. Everything felt a bit too throaway, even the medpod sequence. Weyland's reveal on the ship shouldve been a truly shocking OMG moment, but it was just so throaway and matter of fact and its like none of the crew were even bothered. We only really saw Shaw's reaction. Also, they knew she'd cut out the squid baby, but they just left it in the medpod room???? WTF! That could be worth billions in research and its like noone on the ship cared. Why did david infect Holloway? To what end? it was never addressed, just done and forgotten!

I wanted more Engineers, their design was so immence, so creepy and terrifying. i was expecting them to be some amazing, all intelligent beings, but the movie just turned them into typical sci fi malevolent creatures. Throwing people around and killing. Missed opportunity!

This was a great movie b ut a highly flawed one. The first half was excellent, the second half too pedestrian.

Also, the big reveal at the end was essentially the same as the end of Alien vs Predator. I think the makers were expecting it to blow our minds, but it was far from that. I need to formulate my thoughts more and this is just an outburst of initial thoughts, but i think its a fun sci fi ride, but couldve been something truly epic and special.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 69
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 11:07:15 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

OK, before i read through this thread i'll post my thoughts. There will be more to come but ill try and stay as succint as possible. First off, i LOVED the movie, however i consider it to be incredibly flawed and there is a lot that i wish was done differently. Fan theories that turned out to be way off, well let's just say that i wish the movie had actually been true to a lot of these theories as there were many missed opportunities in the movie. I thought the first half was excellent, great set up, i just think it fell apart in the payoff, or at least wasnt as interesting as it couldve been. I wanted a darker and more disturbing experience, and at times Prometheus felt, dare i say it, slightly pedestrian.

i really wish the theory of Weyland putting on a space jockey suit and stealing the derelict had been true, as Weyland had NO pay off whatsoever and when he got killed i was like 'is that it???' it didnt even pay off the Prometheus title (the myth) as Weyland stealing the suit and getting into the chair (to elongate his own life and become part alien/ space jockey) wouldve been great and would have paid off the Prometheus myth perfectly. i was so sure that they were going to go in this direction, but unfortunately Weyland's presence on the ship served absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

The creatures and various stages didnt seem to link to each other or tie in together at all. they just had kind of one scene cameos and that was it. Where were all the horrific deaths of crew members that i was expecting? Everything was in the trailers and unfortunately there were no surprises or shocks to be found in that regard, and in the movie in general.

I was surprise by how mnuch the movie lifted from brian De Palmas mission to mars. the ending is the same, with the lead character getting in an alien ship to go off to the home world of our creators, mission to mars also has a structure on the planet with a face on it and a sadnstorm sequence!

Damon Lindelof's fingerprints were all over this, excellent set up but poor pay off. I wish the makers had 'dared' more. dared to let their imaginations take the great set up and concept further.

I may make it sound like i didnt like the movie, and thats not true, i loved it, but it couldve gone so much further, done so much more.

I LOVE the engineers and think the scene at the beginning at the waterfall was just staggeringly epic and immense. If only the rest of the movie couldve delivered upon this, as i felt ultimately we learnt nothing more about them at all.

The fx were great, the creatures were great but i wanted more. more crazy alien lifeforms, not just everything we saw in the trailer. Why did Fifeld mutate? i thought he was going to turn into some horrific creature but no, he just went mad then got torched. Similarly Holloway, who i was convinced was going to 'evolve' into an engineer or something just got torched before there was a chance for anything interesting to happen. Everything felt a bit too throaway, even the medpod sequence. Weyland's reveal on the ship shouldve been a truly shocking OMG moment, but it was just so throaway and matter of fact and its like none of the crew were even bothered. We only really saw Shaw's reaction. Also, they knew she'd cut out the squid baby, but they just left it in the medpod room???? WTF! That could be worth billions in research and its like noone on the ship cared. Why did david infect Holloway? To what end? it was never addressed, just done and forgotten!

I wanted more Engineers, their design was so immence, so creepy and terrifying. i was expecting them to be some amazing, all intelligent beings, but the movie just turned them into typical sci fi malevolent creatures. Throwing people around and killing. Missed opportunity!

This was a great movie b ut a highly flawed one. The first half was excellent, the second half too pedestrian.

Also, the big reveal at the end was essentially the same as the end of Alien vs Predator. I think the makers were expecting it to blow our minds, but it was far from that. I need to formulate my thoughts more and this is just an outburst of initial thoughts, but i think its a fun sci fi ride, but couldve been something truly epic and special.

Same here! I love the look of the Engineers and wish there were more of them, alive at least! But I think they can be benevolent, aswell as malevolent. If you think about it, the Engineer woke up from maybe hundreds or thousands of years asleep in the chamber, and the first thing he see's when he wakes up is an old codger asking him for eternal life, and another human (Shaw) screaming in his ears! I mean if I was the Engineer, I too would do the same and kick their bloody ass all over the place!

I think the sequel will show some of them in a more 'human' light!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 5/6/2012 4:01:25 PM >

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 70
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 1:08:34 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Regarding another directors cut from Scott , Id certainly like to see it but I don't think it would solve all the films problems.

Maybe not all, but I'd feel confident it could be a much better film. The Kingdom Of Heaven theatrical release was pretty poor, but the DC is bloody marvellous. If Prometheus got the same level of improvement it would be outstanding.

I agree , but i think this film could possibly do with a less is more approach like the Blade Runner DC rather than the more is more approach like the Kingdom Of Heaven DC.For example the Fifield turning into a crazy zombie after hes torched scene should be completely cut as its completely throwaway and would make the '' birth '' scene that its presently intercut with all the more effective.

Maybe they could cut out some of Charlize Therons footage and have more Idris Alba scenes? He was my favourite character in the film.The guy has great screen charisma and thought he was very reminescent of Parker in Alien.The best scene in the film is his flirting with Vickers in the cockpit.It was a nice humourous scene in a rather humorless film.

Weylands appearance should not have been extended beyond the hologram briefing.His appearance later in the film ultimately adds up to nothing as DK says in his review.The awful old age make up really didnt help matters either.However i realise it may not be possible to cut him out of the film given his presence in the films climactic scenes in the SJ room on the derelict.

I will certainly check out this film again on Blu ray though.Its a bit of a mess and missed opportunity but a spectacular looking one that provokes debate and thats rare in blockbuster cinema these days.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 5/6/2012 1:11:42 AM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 71
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 1:18:26 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Maybe they could cut out some of Charlize Therons footage and have more Idris Alba scenes? He was my favourite character in the film.The guy has great screen charisma and thought he was very reminescent of Parker in Alien.

So racist.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 72
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 3:20:08 PM   
st3veebee

OK... my thoughts:

-The automated surgery on Liz moment is probably my favouirte scene this year. Fantastically tense.

-Fassbender is just incredible. Noomi, despite some accent hiccups, is great too.

-The whole film looks incredible. As you would expect with a Scott film.

-I actually quite liked the score! Very reminiscent of Star Trek to me for some reason.

Now the less good or puzzling stuff:

Why was the giant facehugger at the end so....giant?

Why oh why use awful prosthetics on poor Guy Pearce. Get an actual older person to play the role instead!

Just to clear this up: was the zombie/mutant/melted face man Fifeld (who was terribly acted by the way) or was it burnt Holloway? And why was he suddenly a mindless zombie with super strength intent on killing his ex crew ?!?!

I really didn't buy the sudden change of mind by Elba's character who decides to save humanity based on a few throwaway lines from Shaw. Why not auto pilot the ship into the Engineers and save himself??

Why was the Engineer, a creator of life, suddenly an angered ape upon waking up from his slumber? This character was not believeable as intelligent enough to make fire...let alone advanced technology and life. Or perhaps they are just pawns in anoher greater beings plan?!

I really did like it though. Though provoking films are always success in my mind!

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 73
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 3:49:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

OK... my thoughts:

-The automated surgery on Liz moment is probably my favouirte scene this year. Fantastically tense.

-Fassbender is just incredible. Noomi, despite some accent hiccups, is great too.

-The whole film looks incredible. As you would expect with a Scott film.

-I actually quite liked the score! Very reminiscent of Star Trek to me for some reason.

Now the less good or puzzling stuff:

Why oh why use awful prosthetics on poor Guy Pearce. Get an actual older person to play the role instead!

Just to clear this up: was the zombie/mutant/melted face man Fifeld (who was terribly acted by the way) or was it burnt Holloway? And why was he suddenly a mindless zombie with super strength intent on killing his ex crew ?!?!

I really didn't buy the sudden change of mind by Elba's character who decides to save humanity based on a few throwaway lines from Shaw. Why not auto pilot the ship into the Engineers and save himself??

Why was the Engineer, a creator of life, suddenly an angered ape upon waking up from his slumber? This character was not believeable as intelligent enough to make fire...let alone advanced technology and life. Or perhaps they are just pawns in anoher greater beings plan?!

I really did like it though. Though provoking films are always success in my mind!

When I first saw it, I thought that was Holloway too! Because we see Vicker's burning him and it would make sense if he were to come alive, to stay near the ship. It was on these forums I realised it was Fifield and thought 'what?' thats totally bonkers!

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 74
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 4:29:14 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

It struck me as odd that this facehugger went against the grain and was in fact 'birthed' from the host (Shaw) rather than some egg form; admittedly there's nothing to suggest that this is always the case, but it does seem inconsistent.

In fact can anyone explain the life cycle of the Alien as it's represented in the film at all? Because it a had a bunch of steps which all required a degree of coincidence to play out, and I found it pretty convoluted.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 75
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 5:01:10 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

quote:

It struck me as odd that this facehugger went against the grain and was in fact 'birthed' from the host (Shaw) rather than some egg form; admittedly there's nothing to suggest that this is always the case, but it does seem inconsistent.

Perhaps the size and the fact that it was 'birthed' is due to the fact that this facehugger was carrying the seed of an Alien Queen? That Xeno was pretty large (then again the Engineers are larger than a man) and I thought it resembled a Queen in some respects. Is this bitch about to go off and lay some eggs?

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 76
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 5:59:42 PM   
thedrin

1) Ridley Scott has produced the only director's cut I've seen that is a significant improvement on the theatrical cut (Kingdom of Heaven). I strongly suspect that there is a much better film on the cutting room floor than the theatrical cut of Prometheus. It also would not surprise me if that imagined better cut does not include Fifield's return.

2) I did like this film, but only in the sense that it kept me entertained for a couple of hours. I'd probably happily sit through it again similar to, say, Inception.

3) Like Inception, there's not much below the surface - sure that surface may be decorated by intricate, complex designs, but the complexity is only on the surface - it only exists within the reality of the film and doesn't extend to our own actual reality in any interesting way.

4) I was deliberately avoiding finding out about this film before seeing it, but I also wasn't looking forward to it a great deal - Ridley Scott of the last 15 years is a director I don't get on with brilliantly. He does great visuals and (sometimes great music) but it's rare that I see much more beyond that in his films.

5) If I'd been looking forward to this film in the belief that it was a "proper sci-fi movie" with things to say about "big ideas", I would have left the cinema extremely disappointed. This film certainly loves to reference big ideas but it has nothing to say about them other than to acknowledge their existence. The constant reference to the existence of some conflict between faith and science without saying anything about such a conflict is particularly embarrassing.

6) Conclusion: there may well be a better, deeper, more interesting film to be made from existing footage, but this is not that film. I would give Ridley Scott the benefit of the doubt that he could release that cut in a few years time. Despite a script/plot that feels a bit all over the place, I fully enjoyed myself while watching this film and I'd certainly recommend it to a friend, but if said friend expressed a wish for something dealing with grand ideas, I'd make sure they knew that this is not the film for them.

Re: the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang reference on the first page of this thread; that's exactly what that scene reminded me of in the cinema.

< Message edited by thedrin -- 5/6/2012 6:01:15 PM >

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 77
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 6:06:58 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

1) Ridley Scott has produced the only director's cut I've seen that is a significant improvement on the theatrical cut (Kingdom of Heaven). I strongly suspect that there is a much better film on the cutting room floor than the theatrical cut of Prometheus. It also would not surprise me if that imagined better cut does not include Fifield's return.

Blade Runner?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 78
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 6:18:04 PM   
thedrin

S is the set of films of which I have seen two different cuts.
That bolded sentence refers to elements of S.
I've only seen one cut of Blade Runner.
Therefore Blade Runner is not an element of S.
Therefore that bolded sentence makes no comment on the difference in quality between different cuts of Blade Runner.

Edit: I'm reading a lot of maths lately and it's having an effect on how I think of the Universe and describe it.

< Message edited by thedrin -- 5/6/2012 6:21:17 PM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 79
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 7:06:49 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

In fact can anyone explain the life cycle of the Alien as it's represented in the film at all? Because it a had a bunch of steps which all required a degree of coincidence to play out, and I found it pretty convoluted.

problem is there is no consistency or logic to pretty much anything in this movie. it's all very poorly thought out, particularly the black goo which seems to be some magic thing that does whatever the writers want it to do at any point in the movie. I was hoping for some explanations as to how things linked together and how life cycles connected within the movie but there are none. how do the snakes link to everything else? What purpose do they serve? They dont impregnate anything. How come the helmet melted to fifelds face, then later on there is no evidence of this, he just looks burned by acid. Also why did the goo turn him into spider zombie yet seemed to have a different effect on Holloway? Why kill Holloway and fifeld die so matter of factly when it would have been far more interesting to see what they were going to turn into? Why does Noomi remove the squid baby then never mention it again? Why does the scottish female, who noomi clonked in the face before the medpod scene never mention this again later on as if it never happened? Why does noone on the ship care about squid baby? david knew it was in her and wanted to take it back to earth, they all knew that she must have removed it but noone mentions it. Why? because the writers dont care! they just threw loads of stuff they thought would look cool into the movie without any consideration for how it gels together (it doesnt, thats the problem). Why did David infect Holloway if we never got the chance to see what he evolved into and david just doesnt seem to care. Why does a proto xenomporh burst out of the engineer, indicating that it was created due to a human birthing the squid baby and then there is a mural of said proto xenomorph in the ampule room suggesting that theyve been around for thousands of years??? man my hjeard hurts just thinking about how little of this movie has been thought out and how NOTHING makes any sense!

Loved the movie as a fun sci fi ride, but it definitely fell far short from the quality and attention to detail i would expect from Scott.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 5/6/2012 7:10:48 PM >

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 80
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 7:08:25 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps the size and the fact that it was 'birthed' is due to the fact that this facehugger was carrying the seed of an Alien Queen? That Xeno was pretty large (then again the Engineers are larger than a man) and I thought it resembled a Queen in some respects. Is this bitch about to go off and lay some eggs?

Personally i thought it looked nothing like an Alien queen. What made you think it did? it's missing the 'crown' so to speak and the mouth/ inner mouth was completely different as well as it not having a bio mechanical looking body, which the Alien queen does have.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 81
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 7:46:32 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Personally i thought it looked nothing like an Alien queen. What made you think it did? it's missing the 'crown' so to speak and the mouth/ inner mouth was completely different as well as it not having a bio mechanical looking body, which the Alien queen does have.

I agree that is doesn't resemble the queen fully, but the reason why forumites (myself included) are saying its a queen is because of the egg sack which was attached to its stomach much like a queen, and the way its 'second mouth' retracted from the first which was very reminiscent of the queen in Aliens. But I do agree that there seems to be a difference. Maybe its a different queen to the one we know and love? An early version? Much like the different take on the face hugger?

Post #: 82
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 7:55:50 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree that is doesn't resemble the queen fully, but the reason why forumites (myself included) are saying its a queen is because of the egg sack which was attached to its stomach much like a queen, and the way its 'second mouth' retracted from the first which was very reminiscent of the queen in Aliens. But I do agree that there seems to be a difference. Maybe its a different queen to the one we know and love? An early version? Much like the different take on the face hugger?

Quite possibly. Im just so disappointed that that was the big shock ending, ie something not shocking or even remotely interesting at all. Its not that i hated the design, its just that i cant believe its the best idea they could come up with. Ridley had said he'd wanted to move away from the Alien type design on many occasions, so i guess he was just bullshitting us. I was looking forward to seeing new and terrifying creatures but all we got was the admittedly awesome Engineer, the Hammerpede and the squid baby, oh and the proto xenomorph. Gah! there was so much potential with this movie and the first half was so good!

Post #: 83
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 7:58:23 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

You really loved the movie Nexus Wookiee, how do you feel about how little it gave us in terms of answers? or how in true Lost fashion (Lindelof's involvement) it set up so many things and mysteries only to not really address any of them?

Not trying to put you on the spot as i respect your love for this movie. heck i loved it as a fun ride but as a truly satisfying experience in squandered so much

Post #: 84
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 8:35:24 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

You really loved the movie Nexus Wookiee, how do you feel about how little it gave us in terms of answers? or how in true Lost fashion (Lindelof's involvement) it set up so many things and mysteries only to not really address any of them?

Not trying to put you on the spot as i respect your love for this movie. heck i loved it as a fun ride but as a truly satisfying experience in squandered so much

Theres a lot of question's the film posed, but very little was answered! I agree that was one of the weak points of the film and I feel the script could've been tidied up a bit more. I think the reason why I loved it was the whole Chariots of the Gods aspect of it. I don't neccassarily believe in that whole 'aliens starting life on earth' aspects, but I thought it was fascinating and quite brave of Ridley to put that across in a 'mainstream' film! It made it more mythic in my view!

I've always been fascinated by the universe, and the thoughts of intelligent life out there! You can say i'm a dreamer and film's like Alien, Star wars, Star Trek are right up my street! And Prometheus fall's into that bracket.

The visual's were another apect of the film which I loved, some of the scenes were truly breath taking like the opening, which is both chilling and etheral. I am a huge science fiction fan, and I think that is the main reason I loved it! So scenes such as the ones I mentioned, and shot's of the Prometheus in space, or the 'sand storm', the barren landscape with the 'pyrmaid' structures are reminiscent of classic science fiction stories by writers of past, or artists like Moebius (I mentioned that in my review at the start of the thread).

There's a lot of fault's in the film's, and discrepancies. Stuff like Fifield returning as a zombie seems very silly I know! But I thought the good points outweighed the bad. There was enough things in the film like i've mentioned, which I liked. I'm hoping a sequel might answer some of the questions which were left unanswered in this film.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 5/6/2012 8:40:58 PM >

Post #: 85
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 9:40:35 PM   
Biggus

I really really wanna see this film again. Like some of the other posters have mentioned I just can't get it out of my head.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 86
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 10:20:05 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Theres a lot of question's the film posed, but very little was answered! I agree that was one of the weak points of the film and I feel the script could've been tidied up a bit more. I think the reason why I loved it was the whole Chariots of the Gods aspect of it. I don't neccassarily believe in that whole 'aliens starting life on earth' aspects, but I thought it was fascinating and quite brave of Ridley to put that across in a 'mainstream' film! It made it more mythic in my view!

I've always been fascinated by the universe, and the thoughts of intelligent life out there! You can say i'm a dreamer and film's like Alien, Star wars, Star Trek are right up my street! And Prometheus fall's into that bracket.

The visual's were another apect of the film which I loved, some of the scenes were truly breath taking like the opening, which is both chilling and etheral. I am a huge science fiction fan, and I think that is the main reason I loved it! So scenes such as the ones I mentioned, and shot's of the Prometheus in space, or the 'sand storm', the barren landscape with the 'pyrmaid' structures are reminiscent of classic science fiction stories by writers of past, or artists like Moebius (I mentioned that in my review at the start of the thread).

There's a lot of fault's in the film's, and discrepancies. Stuff like Fifield returning as a zombie seems very silly I know! But I thought the good points outweighed the bad. There was enough things in the film like i've mentioned, which I liked. I'm hoping a sequel might answer some of the questions which were left unanswered in this film.

I also love the Chariots of the Gods aspects of the movie, i was just hoping theyd go further with it. the problem is the best scene is the very first one where it shows us an Engineer creating life. Then we go quickly to a scene where the lead tells the other characters and us, that the Engineers created life and then we learn pretty much nothing more about that during the rest of the movie! We get told everything in the first few mins and the movie NEVER expans upon this, apart from saying that they want to kill us now. There is so much to do with the Chariots of the gods idea and the movie completely squandered it in favour of a monster mash, albeit a quick and dissatisfying monster mash.

BTW i LOVE the fifeld zombie, i just wish that:

A) the scene wasnt over in a heartbeat

B) That we got to see where his mutation was heading, ie was he turning into some kind of cool creature?

C) there was some actual consistency with what the black goo was doing and why it was causing different changes in different people.

it was almost like Ridley or Lindelof said: "we need a scene where someone mutates and tries to kill the others"
"why?"
"Doesnt matter, lets just do it then kill him"

This opportunity was squandered TWICE, Fifeld and then Holloway. Man would i have liked to see what was actually going to become of those mutations.

Prometheus ended up being a collection of very cool looking scenes with no regard for how it all gelled together as a coherent whole. It felt so rushed too, like about 30 mins had been cut out at the last minute. In the second half we literally just jump from scene to scene with no rhyme nor reason.

Shaw medpod extraction
Fifeld zombie
Weyland is on the ship
Janek revealing that the temple is a weapons facility
Jump to the character rushing back to the chair room with Weyland

Where were the scenes where characters actually discussed what was happening? This is totally like Lost, characters just dont discuss the insane events that are unfolding and its maddening.

Post #: 87
RE: PROMETHEUS - 5/6/2012 10:20:52 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

I really really wanna see this film again. Like some of the other posters have mentioned I just can't get it out of my head.

I agree, i do keep thinking about it. despite moaning and moaning constantly about all the faults, its a great, visually arresting sci fi movie. A fun ride.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 88
RE: PROMETHEUS - 6/6/2012 11:59:10 AM   
sharkboy

I think in considering the opening theme, you have to remember the title of the movie.  My theory is that, like the Prometheus of myth, the engineer at the start wasn't acting on orders, but rather had gone rogue.  There is a lot more to the story of Prometheus than the bloke who stole fire from Zeus and got a daily hepatectomy for his troubles.  He's also deeply entwined in the creation myth - his theft led to the first woman, Pandora, being created and sent to live among men (interestingly, Pandora herself was described as being of the "deadly race"). Furthermore, mythology tells us that Prometheus was granted a secret by Gaia, his mother, that could bring down Zeus.

Now, taking that into consideration, think about the opening titles and the actions of the engineers.  We know that they terraformed planets, so there's no reason to assume that they weren't on Earth to do just that.  We also know that the black goo was produced as some kind of bio-weapon, not as the seed of life.  So, my theory is this - having been part of the team of engineers who terraformed the Earth, the rogue engineer decides to create a new species from the black goo, destroying himself in the process but kick-starting the creation of mankind.  He is the first engineer to get involved in a life-form, but his actions inspire others to later visit the humans and try to give some clues to their origins (the cave drawings) - this is the deadly secret part of the Prometheus myth.  Later, the powers that be find out what he has done and what the others are doing and set about eradicating all traces of his creation by dropping a load of their bio-weapons on Earth (cue Pandora).

As for the movie itself, I found it flawed but interesting and very beautiful to look at.  David was easily the most interesting character, with an excellent portrayal by Fassbender, but the others were by and large quite flat characters.  Elba simply wasn't given enough to do, Rapace was just OK and Marshall-Green was quite annoying.  Don't get me started on Guy Pierce - a capable actor, yes, but why not go with someone more believable as a 180 yr-old?  Pierce's prosthetics were abysmal.

Was Vickers a synthetic?  Absolutely.  From her mannerisms to her hidden agendas (which we've already seen in Ash from Alien), to the way her character seems to evolve, she definitely shows signs of being an andriod.  But most tellingly for me was when she referred to Weyland as "father",  This wasn't the biological offspring acknowleding her pop, this was the Prometheus equivalent of Roy Batty calling Tyrell "father" in Scott's other sci-fi masterpiece.  The fact that her death came off-camera (well, under spaceship really!) was, I think, to avoid revealling her true nature.

Anyway, as it stands, Prometheus provided a slightly higher than "Kingdom of Heaven: Theatrical cut" level of enjoyment.  I really do hope that there is a future release that will elevate it to a "Kingdom of Heaven: Directors cut" level, because what I saw at the cinema, while by no means a bad movie, just didn't live up to the 35 years of legacy and 12 years of expectation that accompanied the movie.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 89
RE: PROMETHEUS - 6/6/2012 12:13:48 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy.

Was Vickers a synthetic?  Absolutely. 

I'm really torn on this: definitely need to see it again.

Comparing her to David: why was she so keen to prove herself as human to Elba? Being "anatomically correct" might be to make the rest of the crew feel more at ease: but being completely believeable as a sexual partner? Really? (I suppose she could be some kind of sexbot- to keep randy crewmen away from the other women).

The father line was interesting: and I kind of aggree it must have been some kind of bladerunner nod: especially considering she was only 30-40 and Weyland was 180? Something doesn't add up.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI