Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: PROMETHEUS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 11:12:15 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Things I liked:

The opening sequence and credits. Stunning.

The cinematography full stop. You know a Ridley Scott film is going to look gorgeous, and this doesn't disappoint in that regard.

The best use of 3D I've seen yet. It hasn't won me round to any inherent merits of 3D, but I thought it was exceptionally well integrated into the film and was probably the first time where I wasn't taken out of the movie by it.

Fassbender's performance was fantastic, breathing new life into a well-worn concept.

As many questions asked as answered, which is bold and makes a nice change from the typical in-your-face bluntness of a lot of sci-fi these days. In addition to which, it is the closest I've seen to proper old-fashioned sci-fi that I've seen for a while. Not scary or violent enough to be a horror or action film, it doesn't really fit into any particular genre other than 'sci-fi' which I liked.

Unlike many others I actually quite liked the score.

Things I didn't like:

The dialogue was frequently clunky to the point of embarrassment.

Some plot holes and odd plot devices that caused some confusion (which isn't uncommon for sci-fi I suppose). Not a major problem, just a mild irritant.

Paper thin characters, including the main ones (David aside). Left me not really caring about the fate of any of them, since they were all essentially strangers even by the end. It's even more of a shame because it's clear that there is a lot of room to explore with some of them (Vickers, Janeck, Holloway etc.).

Was there any real need to have Guy Pearce play an old man? It looked worse than the old man disguises in Jackass.

Overall I enjoyed the film. Not as good as I'd hoped, and not as bad as I'd feared. If there is a directors cut on the way when it's available on BD then I remain optimistic that a lot of the things I found disappointing will be improved, since Ridley has shown on a few occasions that he can really polish a film when given that freedom (Blade Runner and KoH being obvious examples) and a lot of the things I didn't enjoy felt like a result of trimming down the running time as much as anything.

I am like you, quite hopeful that a directors cut will clear up a lot of things and expand on a few things. It did feel rushed at times. But you have to applaud Ridley for making a science fiction film with big idea's. I loved the opening scenes aswell - truly breathtaking. And I loved the 3D too, even moreso than I did when I watched Avatar.

I agree too that Guy Pearce's Weyland is a weak link in the film. The audience isn't easily fooled and you can tell that its man with a ton of make-up on him! But its been pointed out by a forum member that he's supposed to be over a 100 years old, so of course he looks awful! But I personally think they should've gotten an older actor to play the part.

But aside from that, a very cool film. I would love to see a sequel, all the possibilties make my mouth water!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 3/6/2012 11:14:13 AM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 31
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 12:11:06 PM   
Cool Breeze

SPOILERS...

Saw it last night ( In normal 2D ) and im in two minds about it.On the one hand it was a visual feast (You can expect no less from Sir Ridley ),on the other hand the plot and dialogue was VERY dodgy with some silly plot holes that could and should have been ironed out before filming commenced.The film cant quite decide whether it wants to be a balls out horror flick or more thoughtful piece ( Say what you will about the four Alien movies and the AVPS,they knew what they wanted to be).

The positives first.As i said the film looks breathtaking and the technology is very faithful to Scotts original Alien film.There is no doubt this takes place in the same universe as that film.The effects are extremely well done from the various creatures and CGI used.It was done very well.The set design was great and i got goosebumps when David enters THE Space Jockey chamber.The '' Birth '' scene is shocking, almost matching the famous chestburster scene of the orginal film in its intensity (Its amazing they got away with a 15 cert for this ).

Now the negatives.Most of the characters are very thinly sketched and quite cliched.I didnt really care about what happened to most of them ( Save for Noomi Rapace and Idris Alba ).The dialogue is fairly clunky and there are a few plot holes.For example two expedition members (i cant remember their names,thats how unmemorable they were) decide to turn around and head back to the ship after getting cold feet.About ten minutes later,the rest of the team head back to the ship to avoid the sandstorm but the two cowards WERE STILL ON THE SHIP DESPITE HAVING A GOOD TEN MINUE HEAD START?.Did they get lost or something on their way back? It was fairly silly.Also what was the point of Chalize Therons character? She added absolutley NOTHING to the story save for acting like an ice queen and turning out to be Weylands ( IL get to him in a minute ) daughter which again added nothing to the story.Her demise was also very anti climactic and pointless.

As others have said, i found the make up job on Guy Pearces Weyland to be ABYSMAL.Its one of the worst old age make up jobs since that deleted future end scene with Linda Hamilton in T2.Seriously there was better old age make up used in that classic Star Trek episode '' The Deadly Years '' 45 YEARS ago! Could they not have simply found an elderly actor to play the role? He didnt even need to be over 100 and could have been in his seventies say, and dying of cancer or some other ailment.

I kind of liked scores main theme but felt it was out of place and felt more like a superhero theme more than anything else.The climax of the film where Idris Elba and his two co pilots ram the Alien ship felt like something out of a Michael Bay film complete with VERY cheesy dialogue and a very inexplicable heroic act from characters that had not been defined as so.I nearly started humming the '' AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! '' theme here!

It sounds like im being hard on the film but i did enjoy it in a no brainer kind of way.The film isnt nearly as intelligent and thought provoking as it thinks it is and its funny how remarkably similar it is to the first AVP movie.Well worth seeing on the big screen but nowhere near as good as the first two Alien films,and frankly,despite the sequel baiting end, sequels not required.

3 stars.

P.S. Now that iv seen the film and subsequently read Ians controversial review,the Jason Statham as the Space Jockey reference had me in stitches!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 32
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 12:26:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

Still thinking about this movie. I suspect my reivew is going to be rather long and detailed.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 33
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 1:07:45 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Rgirvan ...did you like it?

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 34
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 1:27:46 PM   
Spaldron

I want to see this again soon. And for once I may actually opt for 3D again, it really looked fantastic (I never thought I'd be defending 3D on these boards).

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 35
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 1:55:47 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I want to see this again soon. And for once I may actually opt for 3D again, it really looked fantastic (I never thought I'd be defending 3D on these boards).

I'm ready when you are.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 36
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 4:52:32 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Well guys i'm off to see this at Imax tomorrow at 4PM so will post my thoughts after. I've avoided all spoilers and obviously havent read a single word from this thread. My excitement levels are ridiculously high, cannot wait! You will get my feedback tomorrow!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 37
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 4:54:18 PM   
Scruffybobby

Saw this again this afternoon (in good ol "two'd") and it was all a bit clearer in terms of plot. Maybe I was just a little punchy watching it due to the late hour. There are still bits and pieces that need clarifying -like how or why exactly Fifield  becomes a mutant psycho zombie or why no-one seems to pursue Shaw after she escapes the medics or tries to stop her using the pod, or seems to go into check it out afterwards but overall I did benefit from a second viewing. Therons' death is still a bit stupid though.

It looks brilliant in two dimensions as well as three and I still may well check out the imax version.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 38
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 6:37:22 PM   
Ghidorah

I saw the 00.01 showing on Thursday night. A group of people turned up late and missed the opening sequence. I can't understgand how could anyone missed the first five minutes for a late showing. Everyone else arrived early and ignored the manager by entering the screening early too by twenty minutes.

It's a shame they didn't explore more into the Space Jockies's deaths. The three dead Engineers in the pilot seat area appeared to be chestbusted and the others in the main facility had holes in their heads. Look like giant Giger Xenomorphs may be responsible and not the urns.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 39
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 7:20:49 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby
It's a beautiful loooking, spectacular mess of a film. 

There's the poster quote! I liked this an awful lot whilst watching it, but thinking about it, and reading through this thread, does highlight a lot of the flaws. Deleted scenes/almost inevitable director's cut, will be very revealing methinks (though will not necessarily make the film better).

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 40
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 7:27:34 PM   
Cool Breeze

I was under the impression that Ridley got to release his preferred version in cinemas.Hence the 15 rating.So would that not mean no different cut on dvd?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 41
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 7:39:41 PM   
superdan

Apparently he confirmed on the radio that there is plenty of unused material that could be added. Run time is much more of an issue for cinema releases, it's not always about the certification.

Post #: 42
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 7:54:14 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

SPOILERS...

Now the negatives.Most of the characters are very thinly sketched and quite cliched.I didnt really care about what happened to most of them ( Save for Noomi Rapace and Idris Alba ).The dialogue is fairly clunky and there are a few plot holes.For example two expedition members (i cant remember their names,thats how unmemorable they were) decide to turn around and head back to the ship after getting cold feet.About ten minutes later,the rest of the team head back to the ship to avoid the sandstorm but the two cowards WERE STILL ON THE SHIP DESPITE HAVING A GOOD TEN MINUE HEAD START?.Did they get lost or something on their way back? It was fairly silly.

Yes. They even said they'd been going in circles.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 43
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 9:36:13 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

I saw the 00.01 showing on Thursday night. A group of people turned up late and missed the opening sequence. I can't understgand how could anyone missed the first five minutes for a late showing. Everyone else arrived early and ignored the manager by entering the screening early too by twenty minutes.

It's a shame they didn't explore more into the Space Jockies's deaths. The three dead Engineers in the pilot seat area appeared to be chestbusted and the others in the main facility had holes in their heads. Look like giant Giger Xenomorphs may be responsible and not the urns.

Yeah, even when I went to see it a few nobbies turned up late missing a key moment in the beautiful opening sequences. There was a an elderly lady who turned up 20 minutes late! What the fuck?!!! If I was late for a film i've been waiting to see for ages, i'd miss it and make sure I turn up on time for the following screening rather than miss the opening! I think thats why I turned up 10 minutes early !

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 44
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 9:39:07 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

SPOILERS...

Now the negatives.Most of the characters are very thinly sketched and quite cliched.I didnt really care about what happened to most of them ( Save for Noomi Rapace and Idris Alba ).The dialogue is fairly clunky and there are a few plot holes.For example two expedition members (i cant remember their names,thats how unmemorable they were) decide to turn around and head back to the ship after getting cold feet.About ten minutes later,the rest of the team head back to the ship to avoid the sandstorm but the two cowards WERE STILL ON THE SHIP DESPITE HAVING A GOOD TEN MINUE HEAD START?.Did they get lost or something on their way back? It was fairly silly.

Yes it was fairly obvious they were lost wasn't it? When your're in a group its much better to not get lost, but breaking off from the group (in filmic terms) means your in a whole world of shit!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 3/6/2012 9:40:08 PM >

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 45
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 9:57:53 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

SPOILERS...

Yes it was fairly obvious they were lost wasn't it? When your're in a group its much better to not get lost, but breaking off from the group (in filmic terms) means your in a whole world of shit!

It was a fairly daft turn of events though wasn't it? If I remember right, the two of them scarpered ("I love rocks!" ), we're left with Shaw and the others, they go through that stuff with the head and the atmosphere changing etc., they flee because the weather gets bad and then we discover that those other two are inexplicably lost? Despite the others finding their way out with no problems? Was there a reason they couldn't get on the blower and ask for directions or something, given they were still on the super-advanced radar? Really felt like stuff was missing from that sequence.

Post #: 46
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 10:13:50 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

why no-one seems to pursue Shaw after she escapes the medics or tries to stop her using the pod,

That really bugged me

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 47
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 10:28:28 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

SPOILERS...

It was a fairly daft turn of events though wasn't it? If I remember right, the two of them scarpered ("I love rocks!" ), we're left with Shaw and the others, they go through that stuff with the head and the atmosphere changing etc., they flee because the weather gets bad and then we discover that those other two are inexplicably lost? Despite the others finding their way out with no problems? Was there a reason they couldn't get on the blower and ask for directions or something, given they were still on the super-advanced radar? Really felt like stuff was missing from that sequence.

Thats one of the things which make it look like it was rushed. I'm hoping the directors cut will make that part more clearer! That and the medicentre escape by Shaw when she is stopped by no one! That discrepancy seem's to be bugging a lot of forumites - myself included! Maybe that too can be adressed in a different cut? I mean come on - at least someone has to give chase, or at least acknowledge Shaw's presence surely!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 48
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 10:35:28 PM   
Captain Black

Yeah, that segue into the third act's so sloppy it screams something's missing. Or at least there's an issue with the script where two drafts have been bolted together and they don't really join up.

All this stuff makes me want to watch it again though.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 49
RE: PROMETHEUS - 3/6/2012 11:39:18 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Yeah, that segue into the third act's so sloppy it screams something's missing. Or at least there's an issue with the script where two drafts have been bolted together and they don't really join up.

All this stuff makes me want to watch it again though.

Same here! Even with all its fault's, I find Ridley's universe simply fascinating!

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 50
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 11:06:06 AM   
The Hooded Man

I really enjoyed it, was flawed in many ways, but the chance to see some sci-fi that actually was aimed at provoking thought rather than shift action figures was a welcome novelty. How the hell was Shaw able to walk, never mind run, after her operation though?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 51
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 11:17:56 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

I really enjoyed it, was flawed in many ways, but the chance to see some sci-fi that actually was aimed at provoking thought rather than shift action figures was a welcome novelty. How the hell was Shaw able to walk, never mind run, after her operation though?

I liked that they kept her in pain. Even when running it felt like she was suffering.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 52
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 12:19:01 PM   
porntrooper

Since catching this on Saturday I've been thinking about it on/off a lot. During Snow White yesterday, all I was thinking about was Prometheus (Yes, Snow White is utter dog shit).

I've gone back and forth on a few points, on the bits I lvoed, on the bits I felt were missing or poorly explained, and on the bits I thought were pretty piss poor, but each time I come back to a place where I think "that was a pretty damn good film". It really does exa tly what Ridley Scott had been talking about..... no direct feed into Alien, but a link it in't universe and in it's dna. It takes the Space Jockeys, expands upon them and essentially introduces the idea of where the Xeno life-cycle begins, via mutation, bio weaponry and introduction of other forms of dna.

I mentioned some thoughts in the review thread and I'll try not to go over them again, but I will say that my biggest complaint remains with the films score. It reminded me of The Day After Tomorrow, and for some reason suggested American patriotism rather then the sense of exploration, discovery and wonder I assume it was aiming for. On top of being not very good, it also felt very, very intrusive and there were scenes that I feel may have benefited from silence, or a least a less in your face score. I think the should do a 'Troy: Directors Cut' on this and totally replace the music.

I really liked the majority of the characters we got to know, with David, Janek, Shaw and Vickers being the stand outs. What surprised me was Holloway, I really expected to hate him, but I thought he was pretty well played. I loved the whole 'David Alone' sequence, prior to the crew waking up, it was really great. The movie looks great and there were some top notch effects work and thinking back, none of the creature designs bugged me (more on that later) as they seem to have bugged others.

The recreation of the 'Alien' universe was really well done. From the design of the ships interior to the crews casual wear, uniforms and space suits, to the subtle links in the sound design, it really felt like the Prometheus crew couold walk up and interact with the crew of the Nostromo and it wouldnt feel out of place or odd. They definately inhabit the same world and they pulled it off on screen really well. Loved the swen on badges seen on some crew shirts and overalls, really remeniscent of thoase from Alien. I loved the sound design on the ships computer and the quality of chatter coming through via radio. I loved that during darkness the Prometheus lit up in hundreds of small lights, just like the Nostromo and that it had a huge radar on top too. These sublte links really sold it as being the same movie universe.

There are parts that bothered me though, mostly with how the story played out and how the crew interact and respond to events. It really feels, as has been mentioned, that there are huge chunks missing from the narrative, and I hope an extended cut is released on Blu. The whole first half of the movie felt fine, but it's around the time Millburn and Fifield get 'lost' that things start to unravel and parts seem to have been lost in the edit. I can accept those two get lost trying to escape the temple/station, or at least, I can if there is some explanation how. Given that Fifield was the guy responsible for mapping out the structure with his pups, it just didnt make sense that he was immediately lost. However, I can let that go, it's some of the later scenes that really feel rushed, poorly written and edited. So, as soon as Shaw tries her escape from the medics it starts to make little sense and needs more time to explain what the fuck is happening. Why does no one give chase when she escapes? When she has finished her surgury, she walks in on Daveid/Weyland etc, David helps her but makes no mention of her pregnancy, and no one seems to care to ask why she is injured and covered in blood...why!?! It needs a scene between Shaws sugury and the discovery of Weyland. As Shaw later encounters Janek they discuss what he needs to do, to not let anyone leave the planet, but he never really questions what is happening or what happened to her. Intercut with the surgury scene is the return of Fifield and it feels totally unneccesary. I dont mind that his corpse is somehow mutated with no explanation, it's just that the scene is used to get rid of characters we dont know and it is then never referred to again. Why doesnt Janek tell Shaw about it, why does no one bring it up? As I say in the review thread, it really does remind me of situations in the show 'Lost', where characters woulg go through some crazy situations and encounter wierd strange people, but never actually ask the questions that need answering, or they would never discuss things later when sat round camp. Really infuriating at times. I just hope there is a lot removed here that can be put back in an extended cut. Having said that, I still really really enjoyed it. I still love that this movie didnt just try to tie directly to the Derelict on LV-426. I love that the Space Jockey in Alien still has mystery and this movie didnt try to fill all the gaps. A lot of Alien's power comes from that mystery, so it's good that Prometheus and it's flaws haven't detracted from that great original movie. However, it is a shame that Prometheus couldnt answer a number of questions within it's own story.

Another bit of mystery that I'm still enjoying within Prometheus and Alien is the creation cycle of the Xeno's. Am really glad this one is still open and I love that it's causing so much discussion. I know a lot of people are really annoyed by the life cycle of creatures on display in Prometheus, but I kinda really like it and I like that it isnt all laid out in front of us. It's pretty clear that the Space Jockeys are terraforming/creating life, as is shown in that awesome opening sequence (the only time, I thought the score worked). They create life on Earth using whatever it is they use and the break down of their DNA is then recreated on Earth in primitive form, leading to humans. As David seems to indicate, to create life you must first destroy, (kinda a theme throught the Xeno lifecycle anyway) and the Space Jockeys do this to create us by essentially killing one of themselves. I like that idea, that the life comes from death/creation from destruction etc. It isnt a theme of the Alien movies, but it fits with their life cycle. So, life on Earth is created and is happily bobbing along and then the Space Jockeys decide to wipe us out, and from this military station they're to set out in their ships to drop their cargo of black goo on Earth to destroy us and (presumably) start again. However, something happens at the military station that wipes out all but one of the Jockeys, yea? Well, Fifled and Millburn find the dead Jockeys and from the description of what they see, it sounds like a chest burster of sorts? So, I'm thinking that the black goo these guys have created works differently on different kinds of life forms yea, and I think that if it infects Jockeys, it creates that prototype xenomorph. There is a picture of it on the mural in the amuple chamber and I think that is acting as the warning to the Jockeys...."Dont get this on you, or we have to deal with these fuckers. We're the ultimate creators, but with this inside us, we create the ultimate killing machines.". I guess like a "Dont forget to wear your goggles!" sign on a factory floor! So, I'm guessing that during the scramble to leave to head to Earth, black goo escapes and Jockeys are infected. Some die in the station (and are found by Fifield) but one escapes after being infected and it is his ship that crashes on LV-426 and becomes the derelict. The resultant proto-xeno is a Queen and (as was indicated by the external egg sack on the xeno at the end of the movie) it lays the eggs of Facehuggers, which are then found by Kane and the human element is introduced to the Xeno, creating the bastard Alien we know and love.

As for the mutations in Prometheus, when Holloway is infected and mutating he has sex with Shaw, now I didnt read it that Shaw then becomes infected and that her reproductive cycle mutates to create this evil squid thing. I more read it that what is in Shaw is Holloways mutated sperm (a rather minging thought, but one which again fits in with themes of reproduction and impregnation from the Alien movies) and it mutates in her due to her infertility. It can't move into the next stage of life due to her infertility, so continues to mutate within it's mutant sperm form. After it's removed it continues to mutate and, as the whole point of sperm it to essentially kick off fertilisation of eggs, it mutates into a creature that directly creates life through fertilisation/impregnation. Which it does to the Space Jockey and creates the resultant proto-xeno. I dunno, this is speculation on my part, but I love that the themes of mutation here in Prometheus, really do link into the themes of reproduction and impregnation in Alien. It does all tie in thematically and the life cycle of the xeno's can really start to be built from the foundations here in Prometheus.

Apologies for the long, long rambling post, but I've been thinking hard on it and wanted to puke out my thoughts to the forum.....

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 53
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 1:41:44 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Excellent review! I'm glad you spotted the alien 'egg sack' too!

(in reply to porntrooper)
Post #: 54
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 2:04:51 PM   
porntrooper

With regards the possibility of an extended cut in future, do we think we may see more of Shaw and her father? Seemed odd to cast someone like Patrick Wilson for such a small cameo role.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

Post #: 55
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 4:26:29 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Same here i'm planing on seeing it again this tuesday,and yes the 3D was awesome,and i'm not a fan of 3D.This film has realy split the critics and fans alike.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 56
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 5:55:52 PM   
Cool Breeze

I think the film suffers from having way too many ideas and concepts being thrown into the script and none of it being developed properly.What made Alien great was its simplicity.Prometheus has too many characters, ideas,and events that never form a cohesive whole and ultimately make it a less satisfying experience than it could have been.

I still dont understand why Charlize Therons character is in there for example.She serves no purpose whatsoever.She could have been edited out of the film entirely and it wouldnt matter a jot.

Ridley should have spent less time faffing around with 3D cameras and more time working on the script with the writers.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 57
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 6:23:09 PM   
Spaldron

Is there an echo in here?

Anyways, I cant seem to get this film out of my head, I know all its flaws but that doesn't stop me from wanting to go and experience it again. I really hope we get a directors cut in the future.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 58
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 7:02:53 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Is there an echo in here?

Anyways, I cant seem to get this film out of my head, I know all its flaws but that doesn't stop me from wanting to go and experience it again. I really hope we get a directors cut in the future.

There certainly is an echo in every George Lucas related thread you post in.

Regarding another directors cut from Scott , Id certainly like to see it but I don't think it would solve all the films problems.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 59
RE: PROMETHEUS - 4/6/2012 7:09:18 PM   
Nihilism in the UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Workshed

I saw this at the BFI IMAX last night and overall enjoyed it despite the baggy second half, the lapses in logic and some of the pointless crew. It was sheer spectacle and the end had me in goosebumps. I'd still like to gather my thoughts before I post a full review but one thing struck me and I haven't seen it brought up elsewhere:

MAJOR SPOILERS

At the end when Shaw takes off in the architect's ship, what is she goin to eat and drink to survive???

This occured to me to. I'm assuming she'll be able to use one the ships hypersleep chambers. I'm also wondering how Shaw will respond if she finds out that David murdered her boyfriend.

I really enjoyed the film despite too many minor irritations. The Engineers were great, as an alien race, they looked and felt believeable. I agree with what other people have been saying about Vickers, she did seem quite redundant. The fact that David, an android, played a far bigger role than the CEO of a company did seem a bit daft.

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI