Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: PROMETHEUS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PROMETHEUS - 17/6/2012 7:45:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

Still needing to write about this movie properly. Might see it in IMAX 3D again tonight....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 301
RE: PROMETHEUS - 18/6/2012 12:17:18 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Girvan? GIRVAN?! I knew Vickers was human before it was even written.

And you are...?

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 302
RE: PROMETHEUS - 21/6/2012 3:01:32 PM   
Spaldron

Interesting theory on what David says to the Engineer.

http://thebioscopist.com/2012/06/20/the-linguistics-of-prometheus-what-david-says-to-the-engineer/

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 303
RE: PROMETHEUS - 22/6/2012 10:20:57 AM   
jobloffski

That adds some comedy to the scene for me:

Weyland uses what is in David's head (ability to learn languages) to announce why he is there and the Engineer uses David's head to give his response

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 22/6/2012 10:21:33 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 304
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/6/2012 2:50:42 PM   
st3veebee

Apologies if alread posted on this thread: but this interpretation is fascinating.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

Btw, it's the one Kermode talked about on Friday briefly.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 305
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/6/2012 8:05:05 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Apologies if alread posted on this thread: but this interpretation is fascinating.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

Btw, it's the one Kermode talked about on Friday briefly.

Some very interesting thoughts there. Thanks for the link St3veebee!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 306
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/6/2012 9:16:59 PM   
Woger

I didn't get a chance to watch this but I'm sure it's tin foil free
http://www.infowars.com/secrets-of-prometheus-film-leaked/

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot
Post #: 307
RE: PROMETHEUS - 29/6/2012 4:05:28 PM   
Spaldron

Cameo cinema are running an all night Alien anthology starting with Prometheus.

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Cameo_Picturehouse/film/All_Nighter_Alien_Anthology/#

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 308
RE: PROMETHEUS - 8/7/2012 5:58:31 PM   
MartinBlank76

I saw it today for the first time and have been skimming through this thread. Pretty interesting reading.

A couple of questions though:

What happened to rafe spalls character? They found fitfield but not him? I thought it would make maybe more sense if he mutated.

Why did david infect holloway? Because at the time he thought there was no life there and he had to experiment on someone? Holloway did keep making jibes at him, is that why he was chosen?

Definitely feels like scenes missing from the film or from the script. I can get on board with Janek deciding to not let the ship leave no matter what, but his two mates? They actually seemed happy to be going out on a blaze of glory.

Plenty of redshirts on board, mostly there for the action scene in the hold it seemed.

I love guy pearce but seemed pointless having him there in pretty rubbish old man make up. Wht not just hire an old man actor to do the job? Why is old age make up so hard to do? Once Upon a time in america got it pretty spot on near 30 years ago.

The technology looked far superior to alien and aliens and unlike the star wars prequels they didnt have a war in between to explain away the difference. Suppose its hard to avoid that when making a prequel of sorts years later.

< Message edited by MartinBlank76 -- 8/7/2012 5:59:43 PM >

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 309
RE: PROMETHEUS - 8/7/2012 7:06:57 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

I saw it today for the first time and have been skimming through this thread. Pretty interesting reading.

A couple of questions though:

What happened to rafe spalls character? They found fitfield but not him? I thought it would make maybe more sense if he mutated.

Why did david infect holloway? Because at the time he thought there was no life there and he had to experiment on someone? Holloway did keep making jibes at him, is that why he was chosen?

Definitely feels like scenes missing from the film or from the script. I can get on board with Janek deciding to not let the ship leave no matter what, but his two mates? They actually seemed happy to be going out on a blaze of glory.

Plenty of redshirts on board, mostly there for the action scene in the hold it seemed.

I love guy pearce but seemed pointless having him there in pretty rubbish old man make up. Wht not just hire an old man actor to do the job? Why is old age make up so hard to do? Once Upon a time in america got it pretty spot on near 30 years ago.

The technology looked far superior to alien and aliens and unlike the star wars prequels they didnt have a war in between to explain away the difference. Suppose its hard to avoid that when making a prequel of sorts years later.

Regarding the technology aspect - I think Prometheus is more futuristic and more sexy (like the iPod version to the Nostromo's Walkman) is to do with the fact that millions have been put into the ship to be up to date, and equipped with the latest technology, whereas Nostromo is a mining vessel, and the Sulaco a military ship - maybe not as much money was put into those for whatever reason's whether political, budget cut or something other. But I understand your point, being a prequel, Prometheus' technology does look light years ahead of Nostromo's - I think it's more sign of the times. Hollywood are able to do so much more with visual effect's nowadays which maybe they couldn't do 20/30 or so years ago.

As for Rafe Spall, i think the reason why he didn't come back as a zombie is because he got eaten alive by those slithery bastards or because he got lost (again) on the way out!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 8/7/2012 7:15:50 PM >

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 310
RE: PROMETHEUS - 9/7/2012 3:53:27 PM   
st3veebee

More time spent thinking about Prometheus, more questions. One aspect me and my mate were discussing on Friday was the serpent like create that attacks Rafe Spall.

=> Was this creature created because of the humans entering the Mural room? "We have changed the atmosphere" Liz says when they enter: and her footprint reveals some kind of worms lying in the soil. Was there a unique atmostphere in this room that was changed by the outside air seeping in? Or was it the actual human presence that changed and caused the black goo to start pouring out of the vases?

Did the goo mutate the worms to create this serpent creature? Or were they always somewhere there? And were the worms inside Holloways eyes siin any way related?

More Prometheus discussion please!!

Latest Films:

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 311
RE: PROMETHEUS - 10/7/2012 6:45:02 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

More time spent thinking about Prometheus, more questions. One aspect me and my mate were discussing on Friday was the serpent like create that attacks Rafe Spall.

=> Was this creature created because of the humans entering the Mural room? "We have changed the atmosphere" Liz says when they enter: and her footprint reveals some kind of worms lying in the soil. Was there a unique atmostphere in this room that was changed by the outside air seeping in? Or was it the actual human presence that changed and caused the black goo to start pouring out of the vases?

Did the goo mutate the worms to create this serpent creature? Or were they always somewhere there? And were the worms inside Holloways eyes siin any way related?

When I saw that scene, my understanding was that the worm like creatures were maybe present on the ship because of the long period of desolation, and maybe part of the planet's inhabitant's which had mutated because of that black goo into the nasty snake bastard which attack's Spall. So the human's in effect caused this change to happen because of the change in atmosphere their presence triggered - which ultimately proves fatal for two of the crew. That's my theory anyway! As for Holloway's eye's - I think the critter's inside his eye were much smaller in comparison to the worm's so my thinking is they're probably related but still different, with different abilities.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/7/2012 6:46:45 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 312
RE: PROMETHEUS - 10/7/2012 6:49:06 PM   
Rgirvan44

Oh there will be more discussion. Lots more discussion.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 313
RE: PROMETHEUS - 10/7/2012 7:20:25 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

When I saw that scene, my understanding was that the worm like creatures were maybe present on the ship because of the long period of desolation, and maybe part of the planet's inhabitant's which had mutated because of that black goo into the nasty snake bastard which attack's Spall. So the human's in effect caused this change to happen because of the change in atmosphere their presence triggered - which ultimately proves fatal for two of the crew. That's my theory anyway! As for Holloway's eye's - I think the critter's inside his eye were much smaller in comparison to the worm's so my thinking is they're probably related but still different, with different abilities.

If the black goo is the stuff of life itself, wont it interact with whatever it finds in order to do what life does, ie survive and breed? Change of air in the 'temple' sparks one kind of change, and now there is worm-like/bacteria life, it needs to interact with something else in order to spread itself. Fifield, infected with something that is genetically programmed to kill humans, sets off to kill humans. Spall's character dies (not all attempts to spread life succeed) and Holloway's infection produces a different strand of the evolutionary chain, by being ingested in a small amount and absorbed into his body, like energy/nutrients that end up in the blood, infusing everything, including sperm with the invader. sperm 'delivered' to Shaw, the infiltrating organism then uses the reproductive system in a womans body to develop into it's next stage, with it's 'pure life energy' causing her reproductive system to fire up, into overdrive, and ending up near the size of a human baby, because that is what the conditions it finds itself in will support.

The squid grows faster than normal in the womb, and it's growth rate continues post caesarian. It has more sentience, having bonded with human DNA on a biological level and going through an accelerated human style gestation. Then it ends up massive because the environment on the ship is conducive to the growth level (like a goldfish stays small in a small bowl or gets bigger in a larger tank). Having been through Holloway's system, then Shaw's and then the engineers,the black goo has had three stages of development influenced by it's most recent host and become more humanoid as a result than the black goo did when exposes to a change in the air.

Can stuff just grow because of exposure to the air, yes, many bacteria sponteously develop when food breaks down. Can life start from mysteriously appearing worm like things? Yes, for example sperm are alive, but they only have one function (fertilise an egg) and they spontaneously grow in the male body via whatever it is in us that drives our species to survive.

Can a race identify and isolate the matter in a living organism that drives the creation of life and then use that matter to create life by controlling the conditions the matter is exposed to? Yes, with sufficiently advance technology, and we as a race are working on that sort of thing.

So all the stuff happening in prometheus has some corollary in our reality, and therefore that would be one reason why the film is interesting, clever and thought provoking, rather than being a completely unmotivated shitstorm with no rhyme or reason to anything that happens. The people are no more distinctive from the perspective of the Gods than the worms at their smallest, so everybody, rather than being traditionally heroic or developed is just falling into line with their role in the plot, starting and ending with a death that brings forth life. Life itself is the narrative drive of Prometheus, fighting for individual survival that makes a person/species kill all it encounters who may threaten it, and the selfless sacrifice to ensure life goes on, on the part of other individuals. Writ large, writ small, writ cosmically, and writ microscopically throughout the body of the film and the ideas it states, portrays and offers symbolically. With, possibly, the canisters in the temple being engineered to produce the Alien type we are familiar with (hence the 'cave painting' equivalent of an Alien in the Temple) and with this 'genetic destiny' in mind, the goo simply seeks to end up in that form, by whatever evolutionary route is available to it.

Or something like that...

Probably

Possibly not

Works for me

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 10/7/2012 7:25:48 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 314
RE: PROMETHEUS - 10/7/2012 7:52:28 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Very interesting point's Jobloffski!

I agree with your point's about the life symbolism, and all organism's fighting for survival. The mural is a strong indicator that the black goo is indeed the ultimate goal if you will, of the Engineer's. ( I pointed this out earlier in this thread as to how the Alien in the mural has its arm outstretched like it was nailed to a cross - the 'Jesus Christ of Alien's'!)

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 315
RE: PROMETHEUS - 10/7/2012 8:19:41 PM   
jobloffski

I know it's all guesswork and supposition, so here's one more short ramble to answer another problem people had with the film:

Why was the creature at the end fully grown?

Because unlike Shaw, the engineer was impregnated orally, and unconscious. Shaw got the thing out of her soon enough to survive the rapidly growing organism. The engineer was comatose, so the thing put into him just kept growing.

Post #: 316
RE: PROMETHEUS - 11/7/2012 3:43:44 AM   
Spaldron

I love how this film which so many have slated has resulted in such a massive discussion over the weeks/months. A sure sign of its longevity I reckon.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 317
RE: PROMETHEUS - 11/7/2012 3:52:56 AM   
Lazarus munkey

It might be because it leaves so much out, viewers can create their own fan fiction as they go along, pretend it's what Scott meant and deflect criticism with it.

Which is what this thread is.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 318
RE: PROMETHEUS - 11/7/2012 8:27:33 AM   
jobloffski

Either the film is cobbled together, without rhyme or reason or things are implied to allow the viewer to wonder about and use their own imagination to think of what might be the full picture, which may or may not be how things turns turn out to be if a sequel is made.

Clearly I think it's the latter.

The difference between art and pretentiousness essentially comes down to "I like this, so I'll think about the response I'm having to it" or "I don't like this, it must be meaningless and pretentious shit" which I feel is a pretty fair summary of the extreme ends of the response to this film.

The suggestion that people are somehow making up, without any justification, excuses for the film is, whether you realise it or not, calling people who like the film pretentious idiots. It's a film called prometheus, in which someone who wishes to be on the same level as their creator essentially ends up with their guts ripped open, like prometheus in the myth. That's not coincidence, it's deliberate, and the connection is only clearif you deliberately choose to connect the two things (or if you already know the story of prometheus inside out and are in the frame of mind to look for 'lessons' in myths that are, by design, aspects of human folly writ large, and not really about gods and demi gods at all.

Sorry for applying that kind of thinking to the film as if such allusions might be being made in other ways, on purpose, for the benefit of viewers who have enjoyed picking out the hints as to whether Deckard is a replicant and expect not everything in a Ridley Scott sci-film to be in-yer-face. I must do better in future

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 11/7/2012 8:33:48 AM >

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 319
RE: PROMETHEUS - 11/7/2012 8:52:46 AM   
Whistler

Saw it for a second time the other day (in 3D, which unsurprisingly adds absolutely NOTHING) and I actually enjoyed it a little more than the first time. I think it was mainly because it gave me a chance to listen and look for things I missed the first time round and generally understand it better. The dialogue problems didn't seem quite so bad either (maybe because I was expecting them, I don't know), although they are still a bit troublesome.

One thing I didn't really give a second thought to the first time was when Millburn confronted the snake thing. But what the hell was he doing!?? If you came into contact with an alien species like that, you wouldn't crouch next to it and stick your hand in its face like you knew how it would react. Silly. However, it doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things, and otherwise I still think it's great. I can now give it a firm 4/5.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 320
RE: PROMETHEUS - 11/7/2012 9:07:28 AM   
jobloffski

The excuse I've applied is 'the scene conveys the theme of the film in miniature: not being careful in the face of new discovery can = DANGER!!!!!' or 'biologist, seeing a new form of life gets so excited he acts stupidly, like a curious child'

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 321
RE: PROMETHEUS - 11/7/2012 11:08:09 AM   
st3veebee

Ok so: another few black goo question if you please.

Does this goo weaponize whatever it comes into contact with OR does the outcome/mutation depend on the individual (morality as opposed to species)?

Most of the creatures that are formed because of this goo seem to be inherently hostile (Fifeld, serpent, huge facehugger..) however Holloway is less so. Perhaps he was moments away from losing control and killing everybody, or just out of fear of infecting everyone else of the crew he sacrificed himself..but we don't see any aggressiveness which could possibly mean that the resulting mutation depends on the purity of the individual? Hmmmm...

Also, just to be clear: there are definitely two different types of goo in the film: the grey DNA breakdown mercury-like substance at the very beginning and the black goo which is possibly a weaponized version of the orginal goo. THoughts?

Latest Films:

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 322
RE: PROMETHEUS - 11/7/2012 1:43:51 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The goo does whatever the writers want it to do at any given point in the script. It's called lazy/ bad writing!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 323
RE: PROMETHEUS - 13/7/2012 11:17:49 PM   
Nihilism in the UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

This is pretty cool.

This sums up perfectly just how random this film is.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 324
RE: PROMETHEUS - 14/7/2012 11:55:45 PM   
Gazz

It's also incorrect. It implies the sacrificial substance used at the start of the film and the substance found in the ampules are the same thing, despite the fact they look different and do different things.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 14/7/2012 11:56:51 PM >

(in reply to Nihilism in the UK)
Post #: 325
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/8/2012 4:08:36 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

DVD Extra(terrestrial) list below:

- AUDIO COMMENTARY BY JON SPAIHTS AND DAMON LINDELOF [118:38]

- DIRECTOR’S AUDIO COMMENTARY [118:38]

- DEMONS IN THE DARK – CREATURE DESIGN [26:57]

- FIRE FROM THE SKY – VISUAL EFFECTS [23:33]

- HAZARD PAY – STUNTS AND ACTION [23:46]

- ENHANCEMENT PODS:
* THE TITLE CONUNDRUM [2:29]
* PROMETHEUS: THE BOARD GAME [3:12]
* SEXBURSTER [1:46]
* KNICK KNACKS OF TOMORROW [4:30]
* FUN WITH MOLECULAR GASTRONOMY [5:57]
* BUILDING BETTER LOGOS [2:13]
* MAKER’S MARK [1:51]
* THE AMPULE SHOPPE [2:02]
* LANGUAGE OF THE GODS [3:45]
* FIRST EXPOSURE: ALIEN [5:31]
* BODY MECHANICS: TRILOBITE [1:04]
* XENOMORPHOLOGY: THE DEACON [1:20]
* CONSTRICTIVE CONSTRUCTION [1:55]
* CHAIR FETISH [3:53]
* ONE DAY IN AFRICA [1:47]
* THE ART OF TERRAFORMING [1:29]
* BATTLE OF THE PLANETS: LV-223 VS. LV-426 [3:07]
* ALL THINGS HOLOGRAPHIC [6:00]
* WEYLAND’S WET DREAM [2:31]
* THE CASE OF THE FANFIC FAKE [2:24]
* MERGING RIDLEYVERSES [0:58]
* GIGERESQUE [3:46]

- PRE-VISUALIZATIONS:
* PROLOGUE [3:57]
* DISCOVERING THE PLANET [1:03]
* MED-POD SEQUENCE: PG-13 VERSION [4:11]
* MED-POD SEQUENCE: R VERSION [4:08]
* AWAKING THE ENGINEER [6:26]
* PROMETHEUS VS. JUGGERNAUT [4:40]

- SCREEN TESTS:
* NOOMI RAPACE SCREEN TEST [9:29]
* HAIR/MAKEUP/COSTUME SCREEN TEST [10:58]
* COSTUME/MAKE-UP/HAIR TEST WITH OPTIONAL COMMENTARY BY THE CAST – 18 MARCH 2011-PINEWOOD STUDIOS [10:58]

- PROMETHEUS UNBOUND: POST-PRODUCTION AND RELEASE [29:26]

- CHARLIZE ON VICKERS [1:15]
- LOGAN ON HOLLOWAY [1:10]
- NOOMI RAPACE ON SHAW [1:31]
- SHAW [1:15]

- THE STORY:
* CREATION [3:11]
* INTERNATIONAL CREATION [3:11]

- PETER WEYLAND FILES:
* VIRAL VIDEO: QUIET EYE: ELIZABETH SHAW [02:23]
* VIRAL VIDEO: PROMETHEUS TRANSMISSION [06:44]
* VIRAL VIDEO: HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID [2:15]
* VIRAL VIDEO: TED CONFERENCE 2023 [06:34]

- REVERSE ENGINEERING:
*USCSS PROMETHEUS [15:36]

- UNDER THE PYRAMID – LV-223 [23:32]

- TIME-LAPSE SEQUENCE: JUGGERNAUT [1:44]
- TIME-LAPSE SEQUENCE: JUGGERNAUT WITH OPTIONAL COMMENTARY BY ARTHUR MAX [1:44]

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 326
RE: PROMETHEUS - 14/8/2012 1:30:54 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Bring it on! Can't wait to rewatch this on blu, in 2D and 3D

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 327
RE: PROMETHEUS - 14/8/2012 2:19:24 PM   
Cool Breeze

Lindelof is doing a commentary? Is he going to apologise for writing such a nonsensical script? Oh and he can apologise for LOST while he's at it.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 328
RE: PROMETHEUS - 14/8/2012 2:27:39 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazz

It's also incorrect. It implies the sacrificial substance used at the start of the film and the substance found in the ampules are the same thing, despite the fact they look different and do different things.

I thought they were too

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 329
RE: PROMETHEUS - 14/8/2012 2:28:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

They are the same. And it is pretty easy to work out how it functions.

To quote David - "Sometimes in order to create you must first destroy".

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 14/8/2012 2:29:15 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI