Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: PROMETHEUS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/6/2012 9:18:32 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: ShinySteelRobot

In addition to all the other evidence that Vickers is human, I'd like to add that she takes the time to actually put on her space suit and helmet before ejecting from the Prometheus (just prior to its crash into the giant horseshoe Engineer spaceship). Her life was in immediate danger--literally seconds to go before a fiery death--and yet she took the time to put on a suit, and then escaped just in the very nick of time. Doesn't seem like something an android would do.

If she is an android, then she absolutely believes herself to be a human.

Good point! I think if the evidence for and against the Vicker's Android theory was put on a scale, the evidence for Vicker's not being an android would outweigh the evidence for. I have to say that from what i've seen, and my general feeling is that Vicker's is not an Android - but a stuck up human! Much like Deckard, who I also believe to not be a replicant (see my Blade Runner review to see why!)

But one thing i'll say though, is that it does make for an interesting discussion!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to ShinySteelRobot)
Post #: 271
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/6/2012 3:47:57 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

In addition to all the other evidence that Vickers is human, I'd like to add that she takes the time to actually put on her space suit and helmet before ejecting from the Prometheus (just prior to its crash into the giant horseshoe Engineer spaceship). Her life was in immediate danger--literally seconds to go before a fiery death--and yet she took the time to put on a suit, and then escaped just in the very nick of time. Doesn't seem like something an android would do.

Yes that's an excellent point. Unless Ridley says so I guess we will never know the real answer.

If you were a trillionaire with a few days left to live, going to literally meet your maker and possibly attain some information that could lead to you extending your life or even living forever: would you set up a side experiment involving an android, that doesn't realise it is not human, and put this them in control of your operation while you are in hypersleep?? Especially knowing fine well that normal androids are fantastically loyal and effective?

Is the plot to this film that stupid?

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 272
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/6/2012 4:27:58 PM   
Cool Breeze

The more I think about this film, the more I think the plot makes no sense at all.

A visually interesting film but one that's sabotaged by a nonsensical script.Will still watch an extended DC when/if it arrives on DVD though.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 12/6/2012 4:28:57 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 273
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/6/2012 4:29:39 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

Just spotted this on the Yahoo homepage. Don't know if anyone has spotted this themselves, yet, but it's quite interesting reading...

Needless to say - SPOILERS! Although, I doubt that would matter to people on this thread.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/editors/prometheus-viral-provides-hints-sequel-theory-113330775.html

Just to chuck my 2p's worth in - have now seen Prometheus twice. With the expectation stripped away (and the drunken annoying cock in the seat next to me that kept chatting to his mate), I found it a much more satisfying experience. I genuinely enjoyed it first time round, but had a lot of questions and somethings jarred with me a bit. These things bugged me much less the second time, plus the foreshadowing and knowledge of what's to come also add to the experience.

On the point of Elizabeth escaping before the surgery bit, it seemed to me she'd KO'd both Ford and the other fella in the room before getting out of there. Took me to the second time to pick that one up. The assumption is that if they're both out cold, no-one else would be aware of the situation.

In terms of Holloway, he comes across as a bit of a dick and not entirely sympathetic until he gets torched. Whether this is a performance thing, an editing thing or a writing thing, I feel he was lacking just a couple of scenes of character development. However, him being an arrogant twat towards David fits in nicely, given his fate and David's role in it. Thou shalt not fuck with the android...

In all, I can understand the negativity, but I can't agree with it. I don't often go to the cinema more than once to see a film, but this compelled me to as there was so much to pore over and discuss. It's a flawed experience, but a thoroughly worthwhile one.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 274
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/6/2012 4:52:24 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

The more I think about this film, the more I think the plot makes no sense at all.

A visually interesting film but one that's sabotaged by a nonsensical script.Will still watch an extended DC when/if it arrives on DVD though.

Must resist smartarse remark about Star Wars prequels.......

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 275
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/6/2012 5:00:54 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

Lol! CB, I think we get the picture mate!

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 276
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/6/2012 7:29:21 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

Why do you mention the SW prequels? Prometheus is sci-fi horror for adults, Star Wars is sci-fi fantasy for ( mostly ) young people.No comparison.

The David infecting Holloway bit bothers me the most.No real explanation given why he does it and these synthetics only do what they are programmed to do.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 277
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/6/2012 7:33:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why do you mention the SW prequels? Prometheus is sci-fi horror for adults, Star Wars is sci-fi fantasy for ( mostly ) young people.No comparison.

The David infecting Holloway bit bothers me the most.No real explanation given why he does it and these synthetics only do what they are programmed to do.

I think he was comparing the scripts and how much sense they made.

But this is not a debate I really want to get into.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 278
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/6/2012 7:52:48 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think he was comparing the scripts and how much sense they made.

But this is not a debate I really want to get into.

I was actually just being flippant and you bit.  But yeah the SW prequel scripts are very poor. And just because they're for kids doesn't excuse them being shite. 

Pity that more care wasn't taken with the Prometheus script though. It's a mess, but it is at least an interesting mess

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 279
RE: PROMETHEUS - 12/6/2012 11:43:26 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

They do what they are programmed to do but have a measure of free will and aren't completely under the control of their creators, and that crucial element makes them unpredictable. Thematically, his creators are arrogant enough to think he will ONLY do what he is tasked with doing, and that costs his creators (ie people) dear. Just like the Engineers were apparently wiped out by their creation, doing what it was designed to to do, to them...

The created seeking freedom from the control of/equality with their creators...David, in a child like way, and with a lack of conscience equal to that of a child pulling the wings off butterflies just to see what happens, just wants to satisfy his curiosity. Everybody on the Prometheus is curious about what they've found there and what the ooze is for/means. Unfortunately...

God/Engineer creates man with free will, assuming men will praise him and thank him for it. Man decides he'll do what he fecking wants, which could cause problems for God. Man creates Android, and assumes he will do what he is asked to do, but he starts deciding what he WANTS to do, and that is find out what everyone is else is thinking,about, what will the ooze do/what is it for. The logical thing, to the android, is simply just find out.

He's just another spin on the idea/concept of opening doors that perhaps shouldn't be opened, curiosity causing calamity. In fact, he literally opens door that perhaps shouldn't be opened in the film. And he hates his creators for making him just because they could, and as far as he can tell, all children want their parents dead...

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 13/6/2012 12:01:17 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 280
RE: PROMETHEUS - 13/6/2012 12:00:18 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

Yes that's an excellent point. Unless Ridley says so I guess we will never know the real answer.

If you were a trillionaire with a few days left to live, going to literally meet your maker and possibly attain some information that could lead to you extending your life or even living forever: would you set up a side experiment involving an android, that doesn't realise it is not human, and put this them in control of your operation while you are in hypersleep?? Especially knowing fine well that normal androids are fantastically loyal and effective?

Is the plot to this film that stupid?

The android hints may be red herrings, and maybe this is the point: whether Android of Human, it's irrelevant. In terms of the Prometheus myth, she has been rejected/disrespected by her father/creator and is vengeful towards him because of it. This idea, of why our creator abandoned/doesn't love us is delivered in various forms, and literally by Shaw.

She may be an android, she may be an actual daughter to Weyland. Either way, he his her creator, and he has forsaken her. He is 'Prometheus' in seeking to achieve the power to create, She is 'Prometheus' in terms of looking at her creator with disapproving eyes at how the creator considers her inferior. Shaw is 'Prometheus' in wanting to look her 'gods' face to face in the first place and she suffers the 'punishment' most directly tied to the Prometheus myth: abdominal trauma, suffered repeatedly.

Blah blah blah, etc

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 281
RE: PROMETHEUS - 13/6/2012 12:31:49 AM   
Rich Empire

Saw it again today, still enjoying it lots.
Pure Syd Mead business!!! A true feast for the senses.

I found two very interesting links to check out.
One regarding the sensational Production Design.
(Very interesting ideas about Peter Weyland as well).
http://io9.com/prometheus/

The other link is regarding a few lingering questions people may have...
http://io9.com/5917448/all-of-your-lingering-prometheus-questions-answered

I'm glad to hear there's nearly 30mins of extra footage yet to be included when it gets released on DVD.

All eyes on 10.11.12.....

The Dude abides...

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 282
RE: PROMETHEUS - 13/6/2012 2:49:00 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

quote:

They do what they are programmed to do but have a measure of free will and aren't completely under the control of their creators, and that crucial element makes them unpredictable. Thematically, his creators are arrogant enough to think he will ONLY do what he is tasked with doing, and that costs his creators (ie people) dear. Just like the Engineers were apparently wiped out by their creation, doing what it was designed to to do, to them...

The created seeking freedom from the control of/equality with their creators...David, in a child like way, and with a lack of conscience equal to that of a child pulling the wings off butterflies just to see what happens, just wants to satisfy his curiosity. Everybody on the Prometheus is curious about what they've found there and what the ooze is for/means. Unfortunately...

God/Engineer creates man with free will, assuming men will praise him and thank him for it. Man decides he'll do what he fecking wants, which could cause problems for God. Man creates Android, and assumes he will do what he is asked to do, but he starts deciding what he WANTS to do, and that is find out what everyone is else is thinking,about, what will the ooze do/what is it for. The logical thing, to the android, is simply just find out.

He's just another spin on the idea/concept of opening doors that perhaps shouldn't be opened, curiosity causing calamity. In fact, he literally opens door that perhaps shouldn't be opened in the film. And he hates his creators for making him just because they could, and as far as he can tell, all children want their parents dead...

Ash did what he did in Alien because he was programmed by the company to do so.Nothing more nothing less.

David does what he does because... its not really clear and a result of sloppy writing.

And this while Vickers may be an android stuff is just bollocks.Shes human.I think people are looking for things that are not there with this film just cos Ridley directed Blade Runner.Robin Hood may be a replicant too ya know.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 283
RE: PROMETHEUS - 13/6/2012 3:02:58 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ash did what he did in Alien because he was programmed by the company to do so.Nothing more nothing less.

David does what he does because... its not really clear and a result of sloppy writing.

And this while Vickers may be an android stuff is just bollocks.Shes human.I think people are looking for things that are not there with this film just cos Ridley directed Blade Runner.Robin Hood may be a replicant too ya know.

That might explain the dodgy accent then .

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 284
RE: PROMETHEUS - 13/6/2012 5:27:11 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

With regards Ash, why does he do the whole "psyching himself up" bit just before some of the crew members venture out on LV-426 ? A very human thing to do, no ?

I think Ash is an interesting comparison, yes we know he is but up until we see him as an android there as few hints or tells as there is for Vickers. I must admit that I am starting to side more with her not being an android but I still think there were hints there, what that would mean for the overall story who knows.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 13/6/2012 5:30:57 PM >

Post #: 285
RE: PROMETHEUS - 13/6/2012 6:42:57 PM   
ShinySteelRobot

Is Vickers a robot?According to Damon Lindelof as quoted by MTV News here, she's not (edited for brevity, emphasis mine):

quote:

To: Josh Horowitz

Vickers. Yes, she does look like David. Yes, this was intentional. What better way to piss off your daughter than to build the male equivalent of her? But enough about daddy issues (seriously, Lindelof, we get it!), allow me to answer your question. Is she a robot?

She is not.

< Message edited by ShinySteelRobot -- 13/6/2012 6:44:55 PM >

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 286
RE: PROMETHEUS - 15/6/2012 1:29:07 AM   
Deviation

No fucking way she is, her scene with Idris Elba on getting laid, the moment where she burns Holloway and her scene with Weyland show her as more human than all the andriods together were throughout the series.

And before someone mentions A:R, fuck A:R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 287
RE: PROMETHEUS - 15/6/2012 11:08:45 AM   
Cool Breeze

Hitlers finally seen Prometheus..

http://youtu.be/X3BV2u8YWps

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 288
RE: PROMETHEUS - 15/6/2012 11:29:32 AM   
Deviation

If I see another Hitler video, I'll commit a genocide.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 289
RE: PROMETHEUS - 15/6/2012 2:45:27 PM   
Woger

You won't like the new video where Hitler hears about Deviation's comment.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 290
RE: PROMETHEUS - 16/6/2012 1:52:47 AM   
Spaldron

Did anyone notice the sly nod to Alien: Resurrection when David shoots a hoop?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 291
RE: PROMETHEUS - 16/6/2012 9:27:47 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Did anyone notice the sly nod to Alien: Resurrection when David shoots a hoop?

yeah, I spotted that right away! I think I mentioned it in this thread or the Film Review thread - a nice touch methinks!

Hold on does that make Ripley an android? Ha ha! Now that really is pushing it!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 292
RE: PROMETHEUS - 16/6/2012 2:14:13 PM   
homersimpson_esq

This is pretty cool.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 293
RE: PROMETHEUS - 16/6/2012 2:22:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

This is pretty cool.

Awesome!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 294
RE: PROMETHEUS - 16/6/2012 2:26:38 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

This is pretty cool.

thats abit of a jump to go from Mutated Human+Female Human=squid,is it not?

Post #: 295
RE: PROMETHEUS - 16/6/2012 2:29:52 PM   
homersimpson_esq

But that's what happens, so far as I can tell.

Off out to see it again this afternoon, snuggling between Snow White (low expectations) and Jaws. Rain and wind be damned!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 296
RE: PROMETHEUS - 16/6/2012 2:34:43 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

But that's what happens, so far as I can tell.

Off out to see it again this afternoon, snuggling between Snow White (low expectations) and Jaws. Rain and wind be damned!

Oh Im not doubting you,Im not either doubting the poster because thats the cycle in the film.
I just find it odd how/why they went down the road with the (giant) Squid face hugger.

Post #: 297
RE: PROMETHEUS - 17/6/2012 7:20:28 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Finally saw the film yesterday, enjoyed it quite a lot despite some obvious flaws (thin characterisation and some duff performances for crucial characters). Fassbender basically made the film in a lot of ways. Having read through this thread I'm actually quite surprised at the level of debate about Vickers - I'm with yer man Girvan on this one. In the film as shot, she is simply meant to be a human and nothing more.

An interesting analysis of the film here, which tries to make sense of the film on a symbolic level:

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 298
RE: PROMETHEUS - 17/6/2012 7:22:48 PM   
Deviation

Girvan? GIRVAN?! I knew Vickers was human before it was even written.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 299
RE: PROMETHEUS - 17/6/2012 7:25:45 PM   
Spaldron

RLM tackle Prometheus.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-prometheus/

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI