Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 10/6/2012 6:31:54 PM   
rawlinson

This is the description for Fluffy

quote:

The cat wants to be rid of its owner, the obscenely wealthy, pampering but insufferable Mrs. Benedetto. Ransome, professional house-guest and casual blackmailer, unwittingly provides the perfect opportunity. Before he reveals his dastardly frame-up to Ransome, Fluffy explains why cats have never been arsed to take over the world.

In my head, Fluffy sounds like Roger Allam.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 121
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 10/6/2012 6:43:29 PM   
elab49

This sounds like that cat diary Homer posted a while back. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 122
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 10/6/2012 6:46:24 PM   
rawlinson

Was that the one with the cat talking about the dog? Fluffy is much more evil.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 123
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 10/6/2012 6:58:37 PM   
elab49

Dog diary - dog idiot
Cat diary - day xx in captivity of idiots with dog possible informer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 124
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 10/6/2012 7:02:22 PM   
rawlinson

Yeah, that's the one. Reminded me of Izzard's Pavlov's cat bit. "Day One. Rang bell. Cat fucked off. Day two. Rang bell. Cat went and answered door."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 125
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 11/6/2012 8:58:44 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I'd love to vote for urban legends - they were a huge interest of mine for ages a while back, and I still find them fascinating. Though it is a bit of a stretch - but so many old ghost storys/supersitions are a huge part of horror culture. Though it is a stretch, I admit.

I love the urban legend stories, whether they're true or not. There is something deeply intriguing about the way they work.

I stopped watching Marble Hornets after that guy in the white mask appeared over the main guy's bed and then suddenly in front of the camera. I had to change my pants after that.

You need to watch until entry number 26.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 126
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 11/6/2012 6:18:25 PM   
rawlinson

Just checking, you're all going to read some M.R. James before voting, aren't you?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 127
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 11/6/2012 7:28:45 PM   
SadFace

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I'd love to vote for urban legends - they were a huge interest of mine for ages a while back, and I still find them fascinating. Though it is a bit of a stretch - but so many old ghost storys/supersitions are a huge part of horror culture. Though it is a stretch, I admit.

I love the urban legend stories, whether they're true or not. There is something deeply intriguing about the way they work.

I stopped watching Marble Hornets after that guy in the white mask appeared over the main guy's bed and then suddenly in front of the camera. I had to change my pants after that.

You need to watch until entry number 26.

You've given me the motivation I needed to start watching it again but seriously, I'm passing any laundry costs on to you.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 128
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 11/6/2012 8:39:31 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 129
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 12/6/2012 10:18:46 AM   
Wezzo

Are any of these eligible?

No Country for Old Men
Lakeview Terrace
Hard Candy
Enduring Love
American Psycho
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Breaking Bad [TV]
Angel [TV]
Six Feet Under [TV]
Dexter [TV]

Ta!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 130
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 12/6/2012 12:15:12 PM   
elab49

TV series aren't eligible (just self-contained stories) - but why would the likes of Breaking Bad or No Country for Old Men be on a horror list? 

quote:

(in reply to Wezzo)
Post #: 131
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 12/6/2012 12:20:11 PM   
Wezzo

Well, The Guardian call No Country a "crime western noir horror comedy" - http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jan/18/drama.thriller, and I'd argue Breaking Bad is at least as horrific as a lot of more obviously generic horror movies. (the ending of, say, Crawl Space is in its own way as scary as any horror film on my view)

As for the TV series, sorry, seems I got confused :) in the three "rules" posted it says "television series" are eligible, which is why I thought it OK.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 132
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 12/6/2012 12:33:46 PM   
elab49

Ignore me - when the rules all changed I looked at the bits we'd been talking about. I hadn't noticed that contained stories had changed to entire TV series. 

quote:

(in reply to Wezzo)
Post #: 133
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 12/6/2012 5:39:04 PM   
rawlinson

No Country for Old Men - Possibly, anyone have any strong feelings? My sole reason for allowing it is the reading of it that says Chigurah is Death.
Lakeview Terrace - I'd put that as shit, sorry, straight thriller.
Hard Candy - Yes
Enduring Love - Barely remember it, can anyone claim it either way?
American Psycho - Yes
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - No
Breaking Bad [TV] - No
Angel [TV] - Yes
Six Feet Under [TV] - No
Dexter [TV] - Yes

(in reply to Wezzo)
Post #: 134
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 12/6/2012 6:18:46 PM   
elab49

I'd still say no for No Country - it's all interps primarily put on Chigurh, the film itself in a horror? That seems quite odd. At this stretch, is PA getting to add Iron Man?

Enduring Love is at its heart a stalker drama - I generally wouldn't have thought of putting book or film into horror.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 135
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 12/6/2012 6:53:06 PM   
rawlinson

Approach always has to be the most important thing, I think. I can allow the Muppets on the basis that it's parodying one of the most celebrated ghost stories of all time. And I know that these days people think of A Christmas Carol as being this simple Christmas favourite, but part of that is down to over-familiarity. If you look at the tradition it was written as part of, and the fact that many adaptations really do treat the ghosts as terrifying, then it's a horror story at heart. So something parodying horror themes is fine, otherwise a favourite like Shaun of the Dead wouldn't make the list either. But something couldn't be included simply because it has a ghost, otherwise we'd have everything from Casper to Hamlet. That's why something like Six Feet Under couldn't be included, just because it has what could be interpreted as ghosts, it doesn't mean it's horror. That's why stalker dramas are difficult territory because it simply being about a stalker doesn't mean it can be included, but it also can't be ruled out on those grounds, because it depends on how its approached. So unless anyone has a counter argument as to why Enduring Love should be included, I'll rule it out.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 136
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 12/6/2012 6:58:10 PM   
elab49

Damn - until you clarified the ghost thing I was thinking 'Slings and Arrows'!

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 137
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 12/6/2012 7:03:58 PM   
rawlinson

I'm actually tempted to put together my personal list and post it with a big heading of THIS IS THE KIND OF THING YOU CAN VOTE FOR. DON'T VOTE FOR SO HAUNT ME!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 138
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 14/6/2012 11:03:19 PM   
rawlinson

Just bumping this to clarify something for anyone putting their lists together. When it comes to short stories, you can vote for the story and the collection it came from. You're not restricted to one or the other. So along similar lines, with television anthology series, you can vote for the overall show (Twilight Zone, for example) and an individual episode from that show. So you could have

1. The Twilight Zone (series)
2. The Twilight Zone: Eye of the Beholder (Episode)

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 139
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 14/6/2012 11:05:31 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Enduring Love - Barely remember it, can anyone claim it either way?

I think that's more like a psychological thriller.

I quite like Enduring Love. Haven't seen it in a while.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 140
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 14/6/2012 11:34:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I quite like Enduring Love. Haven't seen it in a while.

A metaphor for life there.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 141
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 19/6/2012 1:27:57 PM   
garvielloken

Just a quick question on a few things. Is Solaris ok? I'm thinking the haunted house in space/ghost story aspect might be enough to warrant inclusion. Also, how about Begotten and The Taming Of Rebecca? No probs if you want to exclude them, I'll be making my list in the next few days so I just wanted to make sure before sending it in.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 142
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 19/6/2012 2:59:36 PM   
rawlinson

I'm actually ok with Solaris as a sci-fi ghost story. Begotten and Taming are fine too.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 143
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 19/6/2012 3:17:32 PM   
garvielloken

Cool.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 144
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 19/6/2012 3:18:06 PM   
rawlinson

Can I make a rec'? One of my favourite horror stories is Ramsey Campbell's Jamesian tale, The Guide. On the original release of Whistle and I'll Come to You, there was an extra of Campbell reading the story, I just found out he's also read it for this website

http://www.darkfictionmagazine.co.uk/episode-10/story-the-guide/

and you can get it as a free download. Haven't listened to it myself yet, so don't know how good the reading is, but the story is fantastic.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 145
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 19/6/2012 4:22:49 PM   
garvielloken

I'll give it a go. My knowledge of horror fiction is pretty much limited to HP Lovecraft so any good recs on classic horror fiction are always welcome.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 146
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 19/6/2012 7:54:19 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

I'll give it a go. My knowledge of horror fiction is pretty much limited to HP Lovecraft so any good recs on classic horror fiction are always welcome.

M.R James is my personal favourite, you can get all his short stories pretty cheap nowadays. Also, there's some H G Wells (The Invisible Man, The Island of Doctor Moreau) that contains enough horror to count (And even if they don't, I'm voting for them anyway ). Also, Shirley Jackson's done some good stuff, especially The Haunting of Hill House.

Then there's a couple of assorted short horror stories that are amazing, such as The Monkey's Paw (W W Jacobs), The Horla (Guy de Maupassant) and obviously The Turn of the Screw (Henry James).

That should do for a start!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 147
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 19/6/2012 10:48:30 PM   
garvielloken

Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about MR James and I found a cheap collection of his online which I snapped up fast. I look forward to checking it out.

The Horla sounds very interesting so I'll keep an eye out for a copy and I think my sister has some HG Wells lying around somewhere. I've been meaning to read some of his stuff for years but never seemed to get around to it. Hopefully I can get some finished before turning in my list. I'll try and get hold of Hill House as well. Is that the story they used as the basis for the film?

Thanks for the recommendations RS!

Oh, and another question for Rawlinson - how do you feel about including art/photography books? I'm thinking along the lines of Joel Peter Witkin's The Bone House or maybe Giger's Necronomicon. Again, no worries if you want to exclude them.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 148
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 19/6/2012 11:17:55 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

I'll try and get hold of Hill House as well. Is that the story they used as the basis for the film?

Thanks for the recommendations RS!

It was the basis for the 1963 "The Haunting" (Everyone vote for that too!) and the terrible remake of the same name that couldn't even be salvaged by a bisexual Catherine Zeta-Jones.

No problem, hope you enjoy!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 149
RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll - 20/6/2012 6:23:31 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Oh, and another question for Rawlinson - how do you feel about including art/photography books? I'm thinking along the lines of Joel Peter Witkin's The Bone House or maybe Giger's Necronomicon. Again, no worries if you want to exclude them.

Yeah, both are fine.

Also, for recs, M.R. James is a great shout by Rebel, as is Shirley Jackson, be sure to read The Lottery. Also check out some Ramsey Campbell, Thomas Ligotti, E.F. Benson, Karl Edward Wagner, Robert Bloch, Poe, J.S. Le Fanu, Arthur Machen, Charlotte Perkins Gilman's amazing The Yellow Wallpaper, Chamber's King in Yellow, Algernon Blackwood, W.F. Harvey, William Hope Hodgson, Oliver Onions, Kafka, L.P. Hartley, Clark Ashton Smith, Charles Birkin, Hugh Cave, Henry Kuttner's Graveyard Rats, Manly Wade Wellman, Fritz Leiber, L.T.C. Rolt, Ray Bradbury (Especially The October Game), Richard Matheson, Robert Aickman, Charles Beaumont, Basil Copper, if you can get hold of the stuff Alex White did for the Pan books, and of course, Pigeons from Hell.

Forgetting loads, but there's a shortlist for you.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Empire Horror List: Year Two Poll Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI