Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 27/8/2012 10:12:13 AM   
matty_b

Aha, an explanation!

WE WILL HOLD YOU TO THIS PROMISE.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 91
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 27/8/2012 10:27:30 AM   
rawlinson

Yay Piles is back! Matty, when you doing a new list?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 92
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 27/8/2012 10:38:04 AM   
matty_b

No idea. When I can think of something worth doing and find the time for it.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 93
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 27/8/2012 10:51:35 AM   
rawlinson

Top 100 innocent statements that would sound filthy if Jarvis sung them?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 94
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 27/8/2012 10:58:34 AM   
matty_b

"Hello, little boy. Is your mother in? I have a catalogue she might be interested in."

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 95
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 27/8/2012 11:05:17 AM   
rawlinson

99 to go.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 96
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:06:35 AM   
Rhubarb

030 Give Me Your Word - Tennessee Ernie Ford (11th March 1955) No1 for 7 Weeks

The biggest selling song of the year, with 7 weeks at number one. Not bad considering the first time I heard it I thought the vocals were on the wrong speed (but not that is just his voice). Its a show croony ballad. Of course. Excuse the random royal video attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1xcm01wxAg

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 97
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:12:42 AM   
Rhubarb

031 Cherry Pink (and Apple Blossom White) - Perez Prado and his Orchestra (29th April 1955) No1 for 2 Weeks

Originally a french song, this makes the clever move of taking away the vocals so people wouldn't realise and just has the trumpet thing. It sounds fine in a dinnertime jazzy sort of way, I feel like its probably been used as diagetic music in various films where people walk into jazz bars in mainstream movies. None of that was a euphamsim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb4xDjyVMwU

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 98
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:18:06 AM   
Rhubarb

032 Stranger in Paradise - Tony Bennett (13 May 1955) No 1 for 2 weeks

A quirk of the age really - Kismit had already been knocking around for a couple of years in the US on broadway but was new to UK ears in 1955 when it hit the west end for the first time. This was Bennett's launching pad in the UK, and to think he is still knocking around, duetting with Amy Winehouse just before she died is kind of remarkable. This is exactly what you expect if you have never heard it before (though you probably have)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzA8gwfJr9I

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 99
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:21:30 AM   
Rhubarb

033 Cherry Pink (and Apple Blossom White) - Eddie Calvert (27 May 1955) No1 for 4 weeks

The British public, apparently not happy enough at having one song at number one for seven weeks, a couple of months later sent another version of the same thing to number one for a further four! And you thought all music in the charts nowadays sounded the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBKSgvXbabs

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 100
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:27:57 AM   
Rhubarb

034 Unchained Melody - Jimmy Young (24 June 1955) No 1 for 3 Weeks

Speaking of songs that would return to Number one, here is the first encounter, but not the last, we will have with Unchained Melody. This one actually is a bit weird, it starts off almost jaunty, and the vocal isn't going for that Unchained Melody thing so much of just belting it out, he's kind of all over the place. I will wager that even for fans of this song, this not toooo many people's prefered version. Obviously he went on to be a DJ in the 60s and 70s so [joke redacted]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hANtA2noE-I

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 101
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:32:05 AM   
Rhubarb

035 Dreamboat - Alma Cogan (15 July 1955) No 1 for 2 weeks

[image]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_250/MI0002/875/MI0002875484.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/image]

She was known as the girl with the laugh in her voice, due to the fact she annoyingly does a weird hiccupylaugh thing in the middle of random lines. This is a nice upbeat thing compared with Unchained Melody, but her voice, you can see that it would have annoyed as many people as who would have loved her to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxpnRbP4RoY

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 102
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:38:00 AM   
Rhubarb

036 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman (29 July 1955) No 1 for 11 Weeks

The fact that this was number one for 11 weeks does show that we didn't always have an utter intolerance to country music in the UK (probably Achy Breaky Hearts fault to be honest) because this is quite full on, the kind of country music you would expect to see on those adverts that advertise country music CD compliations. Or music by a man called Slim Whitman "tbh".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROq4YFsiP1Y

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 103
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:42:35 AM   
Rhubarb

037 The Man from Laramie - Jimmy Young (14 Oct 1955) No 1 for 4 Weeks

The theme song from the James Stewart western, this is one of those proper old theme songs, where the singer narrates about the character and how lightening fast he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-emr0KZPxI

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 104
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:47:35 AM   
Rhubarb

038 Hernando's Hideaway - Johnston Brothers (11th Nov 1955) No1 for 2 Weeks

[image]http://a4.typepad.com/6a0133f3c49ce9970b0133f3c4db2c970b-500pi[/image]

A tango showtune from The Pajama Game. This is a cover version, and The Johnston Brothers only big hit. Fun fact, the smoking room in the House of Commons was nicknamed Hernando's Hideaway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYeCFkyJR5c

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 105
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:54:36 AM   
Rhubarb

039 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Hayley and His Comets (25 November 1955/6th Jan 1956) No 1 for 5 weeks (3 weeks/2 weeks)

Not the first rock n roll record, but the first one to reach the summit of the charts in the UK, and so, in pop culture terms, the moment where everything changes. Everything before has been pre-Rock Around The Clock, everything after, post, it is a proper watershed moment. It doesn't sound even faintly rebellious to 2013 ears - so shaped as the music of our parents (or grandparents) - but after listening through the last few number ones, it is easy to see why it was so crazy big with young people - it is clearly aimed at them, with its 12 bar shuffle designed to get them dancing if absolutely nothing else. It was of course, absolutely huge and went on to be the biggest selling song of the decade (though not the biggest of '55, or '56 individually) and usher in the age of rocknroll music that would evolve into the youth culture thing that pop music has since been all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud_JZcC0tHI

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 106
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 1:58:55 AM   
Rhubarb

040 Christmas Alphabet - Dickie Valentine (16th December 1955) No1 for 3 weeks

Of course, before we get too excited about Rock Around the Clock, it was knocked off No1 by this! A Christmas song sure, but not really a alphabet, so much as using the word Christmas as an acronym of sorts. I mean we're out of the season now, so I don't really have to pretend this is okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGi3d8CUMg

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 107
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 5:55:10 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I have probably heard most of these songs due to spending most of my childhood at my Nana's who played a lot of old records but the only one I recognise by sight (other then Unchained Melody) is Rock Around The Clock which is a brilliant song.

I also misread Give Me Your Word as Give Me Your Wood and laughed for about five minutes

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 108
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 8/1/2013 6:47:42 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Good to see this back. Some great songs in the latest udate.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 109
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 22/1/2013 3:11:24 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

028 Mambo Italiano - Rosemary Clooney (14th Jan/4th Feb) No1 for 3 weeks

Trading places with The Finger of Suspicion at the start of 1955 was Mambo Italiano, possibly the first really great Number One. Knocked out to a deadline by Bob Merrill while in a Frankie and Benny's (possibly somewhere more authentic than that) it is utter froth, but utter irresistable froth, as pop music often is. Rosemary Clooney's version was the hit, but the staying power of the song is notable from the fact that in 2000 Shaft redid a dance version, and various electronic versions have been done, and just last year Lady Gaga nicked/sampled the melody for her own Americano. I've no idea if it is about anything or anything, but I know I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzUfmh3G9AE

Love this song, it's one of my favourites to boogie around my living room when I've had one too many vimto's.
Great list as well Rhu.

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 22/1/2013 4:02:19 PM >

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 110
RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) - 22/1/2013 3:17:08 PM   
matty_b

Tony Bennett is completely likeable. Perez Prado will forever be associated with Guinness. Bill Haley is awesome.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

FINISH YOUR SMITHS LIST, PILES.

Haha, I've been computerless for SO long. I'll start it up again tomorrow (maybe).

MISERABLE LIE.

quote:

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 111
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Rhubarb's List of Every Number 1 EVER (With Reviews) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI