Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ID4 Goes 3D In 2013 - 31/5/2012 10:27:43 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
What a crock of sh!t - 31/5/2012 10:27:43 PM   
GFoley83

It's bad enough they're post-converting movies just to cash in on an extra 5 bob but now they're re-releasing old movies with the same shoddy treatment.
I've seen about 20 or so 3D movies since Avatar (which I saw in 3D 3 times & was blown away every time), both made in 3D and post-converted; with the exception of Cave of Forgotten Dreams, not one other movie was worth the extra cash.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 31/5/2012 10:35:24 PM   
durelius

No I think is the simple answer to that question. Completely unnecessary.

Post #: 3
- 31/5/2012 11:37:22 PM   
RobotDevil

If you watched Independence Day when it arrived back in 1996 and thought, “this is nice, but I really wish the White House could explode all over my face"

Is that a Bill Clinton Joke?

Seriously though - I would not go and see an ID4 re-release in 3D.

Post #: 4
Ace - 31/5/2012 11:40:01 PM   
foolishearthling

I called this 3D remake last week, but I didn't expect to be proved right so quickly! It's going to look great in 3D - the ship floating over LA, the canyon chase, the creepy alien in the glass, the whole deal. I'll be watching it, for sure.

Still waiting to hear about a Jurassic Park 3D remake - that would be incredible :-D

Post #: 5
ID4 3D - 1/6/2012 4:52:07 AM   
snaze1

Was rubbish in 2D in 1994.
Will be rubbish in 3D in 2013.
Ever heard the saying "You cant polish a turd"?

Post #: 6
ID4 3D - 1/6/2012 4:52:26 AM   
snaze1

Was rubbish in 2D in 1994.
Will be rubbish in 3D in 2013.
Ever heard the saying "You cant polish a turd"?

Post #: 7
RE: ID4 3D - 1/6/2012 5:04:58 AM   
Shifty Bench

^ this

Completely pointless conversion, I hope this will be the one that people will say 'no thanks' to.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 8
Only If... - 1/6/2012 6:58:40 AM   
Mr.Screen

...They release the directors cut. I'm fed up of people whinging about the virus resolution being stupid where the directors cut actually gives it a plausible explaination. It also makes Randy Quaid's character tollerable at least. The fact is that the original version is a decent, if cheesy, popcorn offering and the directors cut, whilst far from a "classic" is actually a solid little effort.

Post #: 9
RE: Only If... - 1/6/2012 7:18:59 AM   
Dirk Miggler

For the love of God. Why........WHY !!

(in reply to Mr.Screen)
Post #: 10
What's everyone's problem? - 1/6/2012 9:30:14 AM   
Nicky C

Smile, you grumpy assholes! It's the movie business, it's all unnecessary. Honestly, some people are about as much fun as a kick in the balls. 3D is just an OPTION! You may as well cry about people having ketchup on their bacon instead of brown sauce. Why moan about something that you're NOT watching? Your complaints are immature and laughable.

Post #: 11
RE: What's everyone's problem? - 1/6/2012 6:25:17 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicky C

Smile, you grumpy assholes! It's the movie business, it's all unnecessary. Honestly, some people are about as much fun as a kick in the balls. 3D is just an OPTION! You may as well cry about people having ketchup on their bacon instead of brown sauce. Why moan about something that you're NOT watching? Your complaints are immature and laughable.

Why moan ? But Why moan about the moaners ?................ Its what the internet forums were made for man thats why and anyway why the hell would anyone have ketchup on bacon that's fcking sick

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 12
RE: What's everyone's problem? - 1/6/2012 6:46:52 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

That's fair enough, but there is no need for the name-calling, is there? And for the record, I was not moaning, I was stating an opinion that it is a pointless film to convert. Which it is.

Oh and your post comes across a lot worse than any others on this thread, by the way.....

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 13
RE: What's everyone's problem? - 1/6/2012 7:53:01 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Way to put your opinion across in a polite and constructive manner, slappy.

3D is fine in principle, but when the technology is as flawed as it is and when cinemas favour 3D screenings over 2D, therefore making it very difficult for customers to have a choice, digital 3D becomes less of a projection technology innovation and more like a royal pain the neck.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 14
RE: What's everyone's problem? - 1/6/2012 9:24:24 PM   
Hood_Man

The first 45 minutes are great, but the rest of the film is a tedious, stupid bore.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 15
RE: What's everyone's problem? - 1/6/2012 9:34:20 PM   
superdan

I can't wait to see the bit where Randy Quaid's character hilariously falls down the side of his plane after dusting the wrong field - in 3D!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 16
RE: What's everyone's problem? - 1/6/2012 11:56:34 PM   
UTB

This will fall flat on its arse and hopefully signal the end of unnecessary 3D re-releases.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 17
RE: What's everyone's problem? - 2/6/2012 12:00:25 AM   
Dirk Miggler

Quality of ID4 aside, I've always enjoyed it by the way. The shameless flogging of 3D is the issue here especially post conversion/retro fitting, if your happy accepting an inferior product, which that is then keep taking it up the tail-pipe like the sheep you quite clearly are. I however will voice my opinion and not follow suit like some corporate rent boy !

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 18
RE: What's everyone's problem? - 2/6/2012 9:55:10 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

No, your comments are unintelligent.

Even if you choose not to watch 3D films, and go for 2D YOU ARE STILL WATCHING FILMS THAT MAY HAVE BEEN MADE WITH 3D IN MIND EVEN IF THIS INVOLVES POST CONVERSION AND THEREFORE WILL HAVE BEEN FILMED DIFFERENTLY TO A FILM INTENDED FOR 2D FROM THE OUTSET.

Making it a different use of the medium of film, with annoying camera set ups and movements intended to be seen in 3D but if seen in 2D are happening for no reason at all. The Avengers contains certain shots that are held longer than necessary for 2D, but give 3D viewers the time to go 'ooohhh!!' at the 3D if they are so inclined.

Avatar moves at the pace of an arthritic snail at times, holding the shot on set ups where there is nothing really happening, but stuff IS floating past the camera, in close up and at various distances, to give the viewer time to look around the shot in 3D. In 2D, when there is bog-all happening narratively it grinds to a halt, and without the distraction of 3D from the lack of stuff going on, the thin nature of the narrative is what gets a good perusal from the 2D viewer. In this case, the lack of complexity of narrative is PURELY to allow the 3D viewer to keep up with what is going on while not really paying attention to it.

Properly on topic, milking technology that adds jack shit to storytelling possibilities by retrofitting older films for 3D is trying to get money from suckers for old rope. Not many people want it. Nobody needs it. The retrofitting of old films is almost an admission of this, because it's cheaper to retro fit stuff you already own the rights to than it is to make a whole new film in 3D, so the smaller number of 3D fans are enough to turn in a profit.

Even the bean counters know the technology is too unpopular to become 'the future of film' so they're milking what they they can before the cash cow dies, like it has several times before, because deep down, 3D is not worth shit and the Avatar effect can only happen once, particularly if most other 3D films are post conversions.

You can choose not to watch the 3D of the latest film out, but the experience is unsatisfactory in some ways because the potential wow factor of cinema is NOT dependent on an illusory 3D effect but on what the imagery on screen happens to be, and how it affects your mind/imagination. The use of the 3D effect is less immersive than 2D because in your mind you suspend disbelief and get caught up in what is happening and go along with the 'reality' of the film if it's your bag in 2D. It's about the creation of the illusion if reality (or an alternative reality) for the duration of the film that makes people love films , and lets them forget actual reality for the moment. 3D showcasing sequences are a reminder that you are just watching a 3D film, so it achieves the exact opposite of what it's champions claim.

That's what pisses people off about 3D, and so when old films are retrofitted, they're being retrofitted for mugs. Moaning about it is the only way to create the possibility that enough people will feel treated like mugs and not see old films revamped for 3D for the process to be not worth it the cost of doing it. And basically, if someone offers me the chance to buy a turd, I tend to say, no thanks, stop trying to sell me a turd.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 2/6/2012 12:15:25 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 19
RE: ID4 3D - 2/6/2012 2:06:59 PM   
rich

It has not aged well, why would it be salable in 3D now? Who would honestly want to pay and see it again, never mind the bad 90s special effects converted to this format?

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 20
RE: ID4 3D - 2/6/2012 2:35:39 PM   
Spaldron

They should do it in 4D just so it can be titled ID4D.

But seriously they can fuck off.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 21
RE: ID4 3D - 2/6/2012 2:37:58 PM   
drews

Independence Day...the movie Prometheus wishes it was

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 22
- 2/6/2012 10:41:31 PM   
stevolegendbauer

To be honest this is one movie that I think would be spectacular in 3D, just think of the epic destruction scenes and aerial battles, 2 things that (as proved by Avatar, Transformers 3 and The Avengers) really do benefit from 3D.
In all fairness, it's a film that's biggest draw is it's special effects, spectacle and visuals so why not try and improve on them. That's why the movie made so much money in the first place, so it's hardly cynical to re-release it for the same reasons.

Post #: 23
Why are people complaining about re-releases? - 2/6/2012 10:45:21 PM   
stevolegendbauer

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with 3D re-releases, for starters, it's good money for the business so the studios now have more money to spend on original movies. Secondly, it's just an option, and with most of these releases they re-release a 2D version aswell. I love ID4 but didnt get to see it in the cinema, now I can, and I also now have the option to see it in 3D, I don't see any downside.

Post #: 24
INSANITY - 5/6/2012 9:59:07 PM   
AncientSamurai

Movies are atrocious enough in 3D without digging up the back catalogue....and especially if Will Smith is in them cracking unfunny jokes and ruining the atmosphere....

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> ID4 Goes 3D In 2013 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI