Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Most Overrated Bands !??!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 4/6/2012 3:08:42 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

I don't think any bands are overrated, because it's an impossible thing to quantify. If millions of people like a band, then that band aren't overrated, they're just successful, and if you disagree with the fact that they should be successful, that doesn't make them overrated, it just means that you specifically disagree.. how can people possibly be wrong for liking something? I don't like U2, but I wouldn't say they are overrated. They're just shit, and a lot of people like shit. Overrated doesn't mean anything when you're discussing peoples opinions.

I guess you could look at it another way, which I've just thoughts of in that some people undeservedly get praise and fame for doing something that others did years before.. Skrillex comes to mind on that one, he gets the fame while the underground stuff that he ripped off remains underground (i don't really know much about that, just using it as an example) that would make him overrated and his peers that no one's heard of underrated. But that's not really what people have been saying in this thread..

I don't see why people get in such a huff about the term overrated. In all the cases I mentioned (can't speak for anone else) I chose bands that I believe don't deserve the merit they currently or once had.: therefore to me they are overrated.

All we are doing here is stating bands that have achieved a certain amount of success that you feel they did not deserve because of lack of talent, repetition, stealing songs..whatever.

and also

YOU'RE OVERRATED

I did a thread a while ago about picking 5 overrated and 5 underrated tracks by your favourite bands, and people had the same problem i.e. how can you judge something to be overrated. But then the same people turned around and said listing your favourite underrated tracks was a great idea, like judging what's underrated wasn't the exact mirror of how you judge what's overrated.

It's pretty obvious what the difference is though (in terms of motivation). Naming some underrated songs is a fun exercise where people name the songs they like that don't get as much recognition as an artist's better-known songs, whereas 'overrated' implies a much more negative concept. They're based around the same principle I suppose, but the fact that every artist has, by nature, many more 'underrated' songs than 'overrated' songs (the same way that there will always be more 'underrated' bands than 'overrated' ones) means that it actually remains a discussion about music - and a more expansive one at that, given the wider range of discussion - instead of a discussion of people's opinions of music. I mean, the exact same bands come up every time when people say 'overrated' because a wider listening public 'rates' a relatively small amount of groups. It's a term that can't really go anywhere, beyond people saying 'lol you're wrong' whereas a discussion of underrated bands/songs can be quite illuminating.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 31
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 4/6/2012 3:37:08 PM   
Larry of Arabia

It's not the fact that's been done before with the same groups coming up, stifling discussion, that seems to be the main bone of contention though. It is the very idea of knowing what can and cannot be considered overrated, even though, as you say, it's basically the same principle that applies to deeming something underrated, which people are more than happy to do.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 32
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 4/6/2012 4:15:02 PM   
rawlinson

I think when you call something underrated it often crosses over into obscure/unknown territory, and that's always more fun. It's more fun to do because you get to share a song you love with people who might not have heard it, and it's fun to read a thread like that because there's always a chance you'll discover new songs/artists. Overrated threads just tend to be a bit boring. I mean I could throw someone like Queen into this thread, but what's the point? I've bitched about how much I hate them so much that the only reason I even mention them any more is to tease Gimli. But if I was to say I've just listened to Garland Jeffreys' Coney Island Winter and I love it and nobody ever talks about it so you should go listen to it, chances are that might be a positive experience for someone.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 33
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 4/6/2012 4:33:54 PM   
horribleives

Aye, 'underrated' can suggest that something (be it a band or a film) isn't as well known as it perhaps should be, whereas 'overrated' implies that the poople who like the band or the film have got it wrong. Which is only true in the case of The Doors

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 34
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 5/6/2012 10:18:43 AM   
Mr E

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Realisd this is probably more interesting for debate than bands who should be bigger.

Instantly Aerosmith comes to mind.

Honestly, in America anyway, they are considered rock Gods who walk amongst the mere mortal rest of the music world. Why, exactly?

They have a few very catchy songs and a lot of cheez/schmaltzy crap they made in the 90s.  Don't get me wrong: they are not awful in any way: "Walk this Way" (even though the original recording is vastly inferior to the Run DMC remix) is a great riff and I always catch myself singing along to "Dude looks like a Lady". "Dream On" and maybe one or two more are all perfectly decent songs but they have no excepional songs that should have elevated them to the level the are at.

You can't judge Aerosmith on the crap they did in the 80s and 90s. You've got to listen to all of their 70s albums, only then will you realise what a great rock band they are. They're like a cross between Led Zep and the Stones but with extra funky swagger.

Must own albums:

Aerosmith
Get your Wings
Toys In The Attic
Rocks
Draw The Line
Night In The Ruts

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 35
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 6/6/2012 1:23:45 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I think when you call something underrated it often crosses over into obscure/unknown territory, and that's always more fun. It's more fun to do because you get to share a song you love with people who might not have heard it, and it's fun to read a thread like that because there's always a chance you'll discover new songs/artists. Overrated threads just tend to be a bit boring. I mean I could throw someone like Queen into this thread, but what's the point? I've bitched about how much I hate them so much that the only reason I even mention them any more is to tease Gimli. But if I was to say I've just listened to Garland Jeffreys' Coney Island Winter and I love it and nobody ever talks about it so you should go listen to it, chances are that might be a positive experience for someone.

Also, it depends on how 'popular' your taste in music is.. if in terms of hip hop Jay Z is as underground as you've gone, you won't think he's overrated, because that's all you know...but a fan of Common, say, might think Jay Z is SO overrated... that said, a fan of Beatnuts might think Common is overrated and so on and so on and so on...

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 36
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 6/6/2012 1:37:20 PM   
Frank Castle

red hot chilli peppers, havnt donw anything original in years and all the songs sound the same

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 37
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 6/6/2012 7:51:08 PM   
Super Hans

Coldplay - Unoriginal of me I know, but while do kind of like some of their songs, I think they've been propelled to the status they're at by the kind of people who's idea of musical greatness is standing in a stadium slowly waving their hands in the air to the climatic bit of Fix You, or Martin saying"Para! Para! Paradise!" over and over again to loud, trance like music.

Kasabian - I do actually like them, enough to have 3 of their albums and to have seen them live, but I can't help thinking they are a bit overrated. I think they've done well to have a few real good, stomping, crowd pleasing anthems under their belt which make for a very entertaining gig, but I find their albums - certainly the first 2 anyway - really quite samey towards the end, despite starting strongly, and formulaic in the extreme. Catchy chorus, a single repeated verse, repeat at least 3 times, an instrumental segment which builds and builds and builds to a stomping final round or two of the chorus. That said, I think the 4th album is a bit of a move away from that, and I've never really heard the 3rd one.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 38
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 7/6/2012 2:37:59 PM   
maffew

you own three of their albums but you've never really heard the third one?

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 39
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 7/6/2012 2:55:41 PM   
st3veebee

Coldplay and Kasabian go in the same category of overrated-ness for me. Very simplistic songs that rely on choruses of "oooohh" and "ahhhhh". Some mindless cachy songs but nothing with any soul to them. I do really like Empire though, that riff is excellent.

What are peoples feelings about Zeppelin? Always namechecked amongst the best of the best. I grew up on them and, despite learning of how much they stole, think they deserve their credit.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 40
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 7/6/2012 4:51:06 PM   
Spaldron

Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand

Three massively overhyped bands from a few years back that have all virtually disappeared from the airwaves and the festivals (or are now relegated to the lower end of festival bills when a few years back they were all headlining).

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 41
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 7/6/2012 8:15:24 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

you own three of their albums but you've never really heard the third one?

Yeah... Probably sounds a bit daft, but basically I bought the first two albums but wasn't too fussed when I heard 'Fire', so never bothered getting the third. Before Christmas I was badgered by my mother in law for gift ideas and, stuck for ideas, suggested Velociraptor.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 42
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 19/6/2012 11:43:51 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand

Three massively overhyped bands from a few years back that have all virtually disappeared from the airwaves and the festivals (or are now relegated to the lower end of festival bills when a few years back they were all headlining).

Yup: their downfall was inevitable:

Kaiser Chiefs relied on songs with OOooooOh moments and failed at anything else.

Arctic Monkies went way overboard on the accent, and forgot to make any good songs.

Franz Ferdinand were fairly dull, and had all the range of a boiled Potato.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI