Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Most Overrated Bands !??!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Most Overrated Bands !??! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 11:27:23 AM   
st3veebee

Realisd this is probably more interesting for debate than bands who should be bigger.

Instantly Aerosmith comes to mind.

Honestly, in America anyway, they are considered rock Gods who walk amongst the mere mortal rest of the music world. Why, exactly?

They have a few very catchy songs and a lot of cheez/schmaltzy crap they made in the 90s.  Don't get me wrong: they are not awful in any way: "Walk this Way" (even though the original recording is vastly inferior to the Run DMC remix) is a great riff and I always catch myself singing along to "Dude looks like a Lady". "Dream On" and maybe one or two more are all perfectly decent songs but they have no excepional songs that should have elevated them to the level the are at.

Oasis

From looking at other forums (cough* What a twat cough*) I know that other people around these forums also feel the same way about the Gallaghers as I do. Twats.

Muscially speaking, just like Aerosmith, they have some good songs. "Don't look back in Anger", "Champagne Supernova" and "Supersonic" are all songs that find their way on to my playlists from time to time. However, the band then proceeded to come up with the genius idea of making those songs over and over and over again, and somehow selling millions of albums. Ignoring that they blatantly stole songs as well, and how twat-ish Noel and Liam are: Oasis are something of a joke to me and others who should never ever be considered amongst the best. At least Blur changed their sound now and then.

Greenday

I liked some of the early songs but...they don't even seem worth discussing anymore. Crap pop music that tries so hard to seem like it has depth and meaning but in the end is most likely just stolen from another band.

I saw recently someone placed this band in the same sentence as Bowie and Springsteen. You know who you are.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5
Post #: 1
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 11:43:16 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I was never that much of a fan of Aerosmith outside of their greatest hits till I saw them live in Wembley in 1999. They were fucking immense, it remains my favourite stadium/large arena performance by any band I've seen. They absolutely had the crowd eating out of their hands by the end. Also, Rocks is one of the best Rock albums released IMO.

I still wouldn't say I'm a massive fan of the group but they do have some rocking tunes and to be honest I don't know that many people who rate them so it's be hard for me to agree they're overrated.

Oasis and Greenday on the other hand I do agree with. I personally only like Oasis' first 2 albums, I could do without the rest and I find it amusing that Greenday became massive off the back of their worst studio album (at that point). American Idiot is a piss poor piece of work compared of the likes of Nimrod and Dookie.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 31/5/2012 12:42:25 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 2
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 11:48:25 AM   
UTB

Difficult to say really - there aren't enough bands I know of where I've listened to enough of their music to think them overrated. Each time I think of one I realise that I just don't like them and haven't bothered to listen to more than a few of their songs.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 3
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 1:11:16 PM   
tommyjarvis

Funnily enough I was about to nominate Aerosmith in the other thread for bands that don't get the recognition they deserve. Over here at least, they aren't quite regarded as highly as, for example, AC/DC, when they should be. They were perhaps the first major American hard rock band and not only launched the genre in the 70s, but then resurrected their career superbly in the late 80s/early 90s. Pump and Get A Grip are two superb albums. And they do some awesome power ballads too.

Oasis, contrary to popular belief, made many great songs post-1995. They maybe weren't as consistent as they were for the first two albums, but Be Here Now is outstanding and there are great songs on all of the subsequent albums. Moreover, they had an impact on pop culture that arguably no other band has had since.

Green Day had a whole heap of great songs in the 90s then released one of the best albums of the 00s (American Idiot). I'm not as fussed about the last album but it has some decent tunes, and they should be applauded for progressing beyond three-minute pop-punk songs rather than receiving the puerile "sell-out" jibes that get thrown their way so often.

In summary:

Aerosmith
Oasis
Green Day

I'm sure there are a few bands I can think of for the overrated camp, will come back to that.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 4
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 1:30:51 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

Oasis, contrary to popular belief, made many great songs post-1995. They maybe weren't as consistent as they were for the first two albums, but Be Here Now is outstanding and there are great songs on all of the subsequent albums. Moreover, they had an impact on pop culture that arguably no other band has had since.

That's a matter of opinion surely. I think it's overblown, overproduced dross and probably the most dissapointed I've ever been with an album

quote:

Green Day had a whole heap of great songs in the 90s then released one of the best albums of the 00s (American Idiot). I'm not as fussed about the last album but it has some decent tunes, and they should be applauded for progressing beyond three-minute pop-punk songs rather than receiving the puerile "sell-out" jibes that get thrown their way so often.

American Idiot wasn't even one of the best albums released in September 2004.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 5
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 1:34:02 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

That's a matter of opinion surely. I think it's overblown, overproduced dross and probably the most dissapointed I've ever been with an album

Well, yeah, but so is every other comment in this thread.

quote:

Like that one.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 6
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 1:51:34 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

quote:

Well, yeah, but so is every other comment in this thread.

quote:

Like that one.

How dare you. I don't have opinions. I deal in facts .

My suggestions for most overrated bands are massively predictable but I really can't understand how U2 and Coldplay have such large fanbases.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 7
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 2:08:19 PM   
st3veebee

American Idiot is a blatant tip off of a Dillinger Four Song (Who I have known about for ages, and definitely did not just hear about them on a cracked article), and they also stole from the Kinks for earlier songs (again..coincedence that that piece of information is in the same article)..

Link to that article btw:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19848_7-famous-musicians-who-stole-some-their-biggest-hits.html

Latest Films:

Post #: 8
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 2:10:37 PM   
superdan

Manics
Foo Fighters
Florence And The Machine

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 9
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 3:24:47 PM   
SadFace

Oasis. Definitely.

As well as Kings of Leon.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 10
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 3:51:17 PM   
Spaldron

Aerosmith Live Classics is a superb album (albeit a live compilation of their best work).
Oasis had a couple of good albums then disappeared up their own arses and became their own tribute act.
Green Day did some good stuff in the early days (American Idiot isn't that bad) but I agree, like Oasis they stole most of their riffs from other bands.

I nominate...

Blur

Wrote many good songs in their career but never made a great album (Parklife had four or five good songs, the rest is filler) and are boring live. And I always found most of their fans in the 90's to be student wankers (as opposed to Oasis' chav dickheads). Plus Alex James is a twat.

The Who//The Rolling Stones

Never got them as the awesome rock gods they're supposed to be, they all wrote good songs but in The Who's case, wrote an awful lot of shite aswell. And the Stones just used the same blues riff for every song they ever wrote pretty much.

The Smiths

Same reasons as Blur mostly but just replace Alex James with Morrisey.

Paul Weller

Big headed mod twat.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 11
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 4:07:27 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Aerosmith Live Classics is a superb album (albeit a live compilation of their best work).
Oasis had a couple of good albums then disappeared up their own arses and became their own tribute act.
Green Day did some good stuff in the early days (American Idiot isn't that bad) but I agree, like Oasis they stole most of their riffs from other bands.

I nominate...

Blur

Wrote many good songs in their career but never made a great album (Parklife had four or five good songs, the rest is filler) and are boring live. And I always found most of their fans in the 90's to be student wankers (as opposed to Oasis' chav dickheads). Plus Alex James is a twat.

The Who//The Rolling Stones

Never got them as the awesome rock gods they're supposed to be, they all wrote good songs but in The Who's case, wrote an awful lot of shite aswell. And the Stones just used the same blues riff for every song they ever wrote pretty much.

The Smiths

Same reasons as Blur mostly but just replace Alex James with Morrisey.

Paul Weller

Big headed mod twat.

Agree with The Smiths and Weller (shockingly cringy these days with that hair...). The Who have several phenomonal songs but a load of shite so agreed there as well.

Love The Stones (even though Jagger is one of the worst live singers) on the other hand. Pretty consistent in my eyes/ears.

What are peoples feelings on Zeppelin? Personally I grew up on them and can listen to 90% of their stuff and love it. Yet again though, another band wh ostole most their best stuff.

Latest Films:

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 12
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 4:17:58 PM   
Rhubarb

Do we need another "I hate band that lots of other people like" thread?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 13
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 4:22:29 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Do we need another "I hate band that lots of other people like" thread?

I can see the thread going that way, but I was hoping people would share a band they think not worthy of their success and then state why. Intelligent discussion could then proceed.

Oops. Forgot I was on the internet.

Latest Films:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 14
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 4:25:49 PM   
Olaf

The whole concept of overrated is quite funny really, it's sort of like some weird reactive process where one goes beyond having an opinion on a band and into having an opinion on having an opinion on a band (cf. the above assertion that Blur/Oasis's fans being wankers contributes to the band's music not being good, etc). Instead, in the spirit of positivity, have some wonderful underrated (perhaps overlooked is more accurate) bands:

- Disco Inferno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLiq9PDdUJ8
- Liars http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/liars-wixiw_album_stream
- The Olivia Tremor Control http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJobXSveRtE
- Tindersticks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqs_16Ux-Ig
- HEALTH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWZxThGh5wQ
- Moonshake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtDK2lkK5Aw
- Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy3kQZTwwr0

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 15
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 4:50:41 PM   
directorscut

quote:

I was never that much of a fan of Aerosmith outside of their greatest hits till I saw them live in Wembley in 1999. They were fucking immense, it remains my favourite stadium/large arena performance by any band I've seen. They absolutely had the crowd eating out of their hands by the end. Also, Rocks is one of the best Rock albums released IMO.

I still wouldn't say I'm a massive fan of the group but they do have some rocking tunes and to be honest I don't know that many people who rate them so it's be hard for me to agree they're overrated.

Oasis and Greenday on the other hand I do agree with. I personally only like Oasis' first 2 albums, I could do without the rest and I find it amusing that Greenday became massive off the back of their worst studio album (at that point). American Idiot is a piss poor piece of work compared of the likes of Nimrod and Dookie.

LOL.

There's more variety and quality craftsmanship in any given song on American Idiot than there is on the entirety of Dookie.

quote:

and they also stole from the Kinks for earlier songs (again..coincedence that that piece of information is in the same article)..

LOL.

Other artists/bands use people artists/bands music and they're "sampling", Green Day do it and they're "stealing". Green Day have never been shy about their Kinks influences. Also on the same album there is a clear homage/tribute/sampling/thievery of Petula Clark's Downtown, which frankly places Green Day two thousand light years away from other punk/pop bands in terms of artistic and taste credibility.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 16
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 4:53:18 PM   
st3veebee

Firstly: I already made the overlooked bands thread!

Secondly: while overrated is a very annoying phrase to use for a band you aren't a fan of (just like the word pretentious) I think in cretain cases it is acceptible. Oasis, in my opinion of course, did make the same song over and over again to mostly great reviews and great sales. Therefore they were in some sense rated. I strongly disagree with the deservedness of their success and ultimately found them overrated.

Latest Films:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 17
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 4:56:21 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

LOL.

There's more variety and quality craftsmanship in any given song on American Idiot than there is on the entirety of Dookie.

LOL.

No there isn't. Unless by "variety and quality craftmanship" you mean dirge. In which case I agree.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 31/5/2012 4:59:33 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 18
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 10:56:00 PM   
boaby

Aerosmith are ace.

Cold Play suck balls. Like Travis but worse. U2 without the early punk/rock sensibilities.Massively uninteresting.

Kings of Leon. Cracking first album. Decent enough 2nd. Now it's blandness.

Also, just about every band that the NME likes.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 19
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 31/5/2012 11:28:56 PM   
steffols

I agree with Aerosmith simply because Love In An Elevator is one of the worst songs I have ever heard and I have no idea why people can listen to that song and enjoy it.

I don't agree with Paul Wellar simply because I don't think he's very overrated anyway. Whilst he is a known figure in the world of music, he has never been what I would deem as 'huge'. Forgiving the current hair travesties, he writes some fantastic songs and nobody is going to get away with dissing the frontman of The Jam and not have me stick up for him.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 20
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 1/6/2012 1:16:29 PM   
great_badir

Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh - I'm not touching this thread with a twenty foot pole...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 21
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 1/6/2012 3:02:02 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

I agree with Aerosmith simply because Love In An Elevator is one of the worst songs I have ever heard and I have no idea why people can listen to that song and enjoy it.

How dare you. Love In An Elevator is a brilliant song.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 22
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 1/6/2012 3:27:21 PM   
matty_b

I think you should tell us some more brilliant Manics songs in your top 25 list pleeeeeeeeeeeease, Tommy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 23
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 1/6/2012 3:28:09 PM   
maffew

I don't think any bands are overrated, because it's an impossible thing to quantify. If millions of people like a band, then that band aren't overrated, they're just successful, and if you disagree with the fact that they should be successful, that doesn't make them overrated, it just means that you specifically disagree.. how can people possibly be wrong for liking something? I don't like U2, but I wouldn't say they are overrated. They're just shit, and a lot of people like shit. Overrated doesn't mean anything when you're discussing peoples opinions.

I guess you could look at it another way, which I've just thoughts of in that some people undeservedly get praise and fame for doing something that others did years before.. Skrillex comes to mind on that one, he gets the fame while the underground stuff that he ripped off remains underground (i don't really know much about that, just using it as an example) that would make him overrated and his peers that no one's heard of underrated. But that's not really what people have been saying in this thread..

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

Post #: 24
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 1/6/2012 3:47:37 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I think you should tell us some more brilliant Manics songs in your top 25 list pleeeeeeeeeeeease, Tommy.

I'm away for the weekend; when im back it'll be on again. Honest.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 25
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 1/6/2012 4:01:40 PM   
matty_b

You'd better be 4Real about that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 26
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 1/6/2012 4:18:32 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

I don't think any bands are overrated, because it's an impossible thing to quantify. If millions of people like a band, then that band aren't overrated, they're just successful, and if you disagree with the fact that they should be successful, that doesn't make them overrated, it just means that you specifically disagree.. how can people possibly be wrong for liking something? I don't like U2, but I wouldn't say they are overrated. They're just shit, and a lot of people like shit. Overrated doesn't mean anything when you're discussing peoples opinions.

I guess you could look at it another way, which I've just thoughts of in that some people undeservedly get praise and fame for doing something that others did years before.. Skrillex comes to mind on that one, he gets the fame while the underground stuff that he ripped off remains underground (i don't really know much about that, just using it as an example) that would make him overrated and his peers that no one's heard of underrated. But that's not really what people have been saying in this thread..

I don't see why people get in such a huff about the term overrated. In all the cases I mentioned (can't speak for anone else) I chose bands that I believe don't deserve the merit they currently or once had.: therefore to me they are overrated.

All we are doing here is stating bands that have achieved a certain amount of success that you feel they did not deserve because of lack of talent, repetition, stealing songs..whatever.

and also

YOU'RE OVERRATED

Latest Films:

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 27
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 2/6/2012 6:53:31 PM   
fuzzy

It'd be Muse for me. Never understood the fuss tbh. In the last couple of years they've been given the tag of best British band on the planet, and one of the best ever. Why exactly? With the possible exception of Super massive back hole (which I didn't mind), it's all a bit meh.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 28
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 4/6/2012 12:33:14 PM   
Jackie Boy

Muse - Prog rock gods my arse.

Blur - ?

U2 - One good album in some 30 odd years.

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 29
RE: Most Overrated Bands !??! - 4/6/2012 2:20:58 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

I don't see why people get in such a huff about the term overrated. In all the cases I mentioned (can't speak for anone else) I chose bands that I believe don't deserve the merit they currently or once had.: therefore to me they are overrated.

All we are doing here is stating bands that have achieved a certain amount of success that you feel they did not deserve because of lack of talent, repetition, stealing songs..whatever.

and also

YOU'RE OVERRATED

I did a thread a while ago about picking 5 overrated and 5 underrated tracks by your favourite bands, and people had the same problem i.e. how can you judge something to be overrated. But then the same people turned around and said listing your favourite underrated tracks was a great idea, like judging what's underrated wasn't the exact mirror of how you judge what's overrated.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Most Overrated Bands !??! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI