Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Terrible review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Terrible review Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Terrible review - 31/5/2012 5:33:19 PM   
Helen OHara

Oh, this film started so well with all the classic reviews thread tropes and then just got weird.

I'm genuinely confused by how many posts claim that spoilers were edited out. The only change made to the review after publication was the (swift) application of a spoiler warning for sensitive souls. We do these in the case of big films that people are all hyped about because that's where people tend to be hugely spoiler-sensitive; for the record, Ian himself doesn't think there are any spoilers in the review and certainly there are huge swathes of plot not addressed for just that reason.

I remain, as always, confused by people who think we "hype" films and then turn around and give them "mediocre" reviews. You would, presumably, prefer that we didn't write about anything in advance until we'd seen a locked cut and knew for certain it would be good? How odd. We cover films in production, and at that time all we can do is report what they're trying to do / hoping to make - with, often, discussion of the difficulties faced and problems they have to overcome. I'm not sure that qualifies as "hype" but hey, whatever. Conversely, having covered something prior to release do you think we should automatically give it a good review regardless of quality? Bizarre idea.

Third among the Review Complaints Greatest Hits list, there's the question of whether all three star films are created equally. They are, quite obviously, not. The blunt tools of the five star ratings are broad bands, every one. Obviously.

Finally, if we could avoid personal abuse of Ian, that'd be awesome. Incidentally, while he has written about Alien in the past, I think I'm right in saying confidently that he went into this film with an open mind, and used comparisons to Alien as a tool here to identify where this film was weak compared to a better sci-fi film, rather than because he wanted or expected this to be a carbon copy. He could as easily have used Blade Runner or 2001 or, heck, Close Encounters to do the same job.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 211
RE: Terrible review - 31/5/2012 5:37:54 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara
Third among the Review Complaints Greatest Hits list, there's the question of whether all three star films are created equally. They are, quite obviously, not. The blunt tools of the five star ratings are broad bands, every one. Obviously.

I'm sorry, but this just won't do. The internet demands that all films be ranked accurately in order of quality within the framework of a 5-point rating system. Apparently failure to do so means some people can't decide whether a film is worth watching or not.

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 212
RE: Terrible review - 31/5/2012 5:38:15 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: drews

If Ian Nathan reviews The Dark Knight Rises and ONLY gives it 3 stars, people on here are gonna go into meltdown!!

I dont have an issuse with the Stars given.What I do have issues with is how the review was written and how it reads terribly negative only for the writer to give it a somewhat positive spin with a decent 3/5 rating.

It does seem rather negative to me. 3 stars is pretty good but it sounded like he was very disappointed.

I still want to see it, not sure when I can though...

The way it reads to me is that it's focusing heavily on the negatives to show exactly why it's a 3 star film rather than 4 or 5. It could be that Fassbender's performance alone is enough to kick it up from 2 to 3 stars. It could have been barely scraping three stars, but the reviewer felt there was enough in the film that it didn't justify the 2 star rating. Ultimately though I think that's the failing of the star system, no two people will have the same definition of what needs to be in a film to justify a three star rating and what needs to be there to justify a five.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 213
RE: Terrible review - 31/5/2012 5:41:21 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Finally, if we could avoid personal abuse of Ian, that'd be awesome. Incidentally, while he has written about Alien in the past, I think I'm right in saying confidently that he went into this film with an open mind, and used comparisons to Alien as a tool here to identify where this film was weak compared to a better sci-fi film, rather than because he wanted or expected this to be a carbon copy. He could as easily have used Blade Runner or 2001 or, heck, Close Encounters to do the same job.

And if he had used a different film as a comparison the thread would have been flooded with people telling him he was stupid and he should just have used Alien.

Post #: 214
RE: Its not meant to be an Alien movie Ian - 31/5/2012 5:58:37 PM   
Helen OHara

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirtyfunkymonkey

Stop comparing it to the Alien franchise
... You constantly mention this yet Scott has said form the beginning that this is its own movie. If only you had that at the forefront of your mind when you watched this...

There's a sort of cosmic poetry to the timing of this.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

Post #: 215
RE: Its not meant to be an Alien movie Ian - 31/5/2012 6:01:29 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

They shouldn't compare it to Alien,they should compare it to AVP........
or not compare it at all.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 31/5/2012 6:02:10 PM >

Post #: 216
RE: Its not meant to be an Alien movie Ian - 31/5/2012 6:10:04 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Oh crazy review threads...I have missed you.

. Just think, we have Batman, Bond and The Hobbit all coming up.
Post #: 217
RE: Its not meant to be an Alien movie Ian - 31/5/2012 6:14:50 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Well got the Tickets book for Tomowow in 3D (head-ache awaits).

@jace007
Please change your avatar, its distracting lol

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 31/5/2012 6:24:37 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 218
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:20:01 PM   
Helen OHara

quote:

ORIGINAL: jace007

Empire film reviewers are a lot like IGN's game critics: "Ohhh, a big title's coming out soon, so we'll spite it and get more hits, because we're King sized douche-nozzles!"

Looking fwd to seeing this and being surprised. Hell, even Total Film gave P R O M E T H E U S 4/5 stars and their review was far more objective!

Seriously, someone needs to embargo idiots who purposely spoil it for others...you hate a film, fair enough - with the exception of the Twilight series, hahaha!

Genuine question, Jace, why do you think we'd get more hits for a muted review than a rave? How do you know that four stars is more "objective"? And why do you think a three-star review means we "hate" something?

Post #: 219
RE: Its not meant to be an Alien movie Ian - 31/5/2012 6:21:33 PM   
jace007

Hahaha, noooo, every time I try to, I get distracted as well.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 220
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:21:37 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Empire film reviewers are a lot like IGN's game critics: "Ohhh, a big title's coming out soon, so we'll spite it and get more hits, because we're King sized douche-nozzles!"

Looking fwd to seeing this and being surprised. Hell, even Total Film gave P R O M E T H E U S 4/5 stars and their review was far more objective!

Seriously, someone needs to embargo idiots who purposely spoil it for others...you hate a film, fair enough but steer that hate towards Steph Meyer and her Tween crap.

EDIT - All right, that was completely uncalled for. I haven't had enough sugar today.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 31/5/2012 6:22:59 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 221
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:22:16 PM   
jmebaby25

quote:

Seriously, someone needs to embargo idiots who purposely spoil it for others...you hate a film, fair enough but steer that hate towards Steph Meyer and her Tween crap.

Blimey. I hope you're trolling here. Either that or the state of the human condition just took a sharp decline...

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com
Post #: 222
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:26:37 PM   
7eke

Hi Mrs OHara, can Ian come out to play.

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. - Ron Burgundy

Post #: 223
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:27:34 PM   
Hood_Man

I think you guys are hyping yourselves up for disappointment, this thread ain't that crazy.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 224
RE: Terrible review - 31/5/2012 6:30:54 PM   
horribleives

Thank god there aren't more people like me who had a feeling the review might contain the odd spoiler therefore decided not to read it - imagine being deprived of this glorious thread?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 225
RE: Was the reviewer listening to Ridley or not? - 31/5/2012 6:31:48 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

I vividly remember buying a copy of The Sun or some other shitty red-top back in '99 purely for the supplement they had on The Phantom Menace. I was hyped for that film and when I opened up the supplement, there was a blow-by-blow summary of the plot, even a picture of Darth Maul being cut in half and falling into the pit. I was gutted!!!!!

Was that the Daily Record? I remember them advertising a big TPM feature only for it to essentially be a review of a pirate copy they'd bought on the black market. They printed pics of the whole film blow by blow (albeit really shitty and grainy like pirate tapes used to look like back then). Never but tabloids for film information basically. In fact just never buy tabloids.

That's the one!

I generally avoid the tabloids like the plague, but it was just that once for the supplement. I'd spent so long being excited about that movie, I almost felt liki crying when I had it spoiled. Looking back, mind, the film's a bit shit, but it felt like I'd had the air taken out my sails a littlet as I knew what happened in the climatic lightsaber battle.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

Post #: 226
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:32:27 PM   
jace007

@ Helen O: Back in the days of Empire, when those reviewers gave a higher rating, it did feel like gospel and most of the time, they were spot-on. But nowadays, it seems your finest will poo-poo a highly anticipated project, simply because it didn't live up to your expectations. Ridley Scott is no fool and did well to avoid the obvious questions, he's a master. But look at The Dark Knight Rises: Any bets that whoever draws the short straw will give it 5/5 stars, simply because it's Chris Nolan?? (And I love the guy by the way!) I feel Empire's reviewers have taken the fun out of appreciating movies, with some exceptions like The Raid, which did deserve its 5 star rating.

Post #: 227
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:38:29 PM   
Dirk Miggler

88% on rotten tomatoes, i've scanned through some (spoiler cautious), there are some nice reviews popping up now !

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 228
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:39:17 PM   
elab49

quote:

@ Helen O: Back in the days of Empire, when those reviewers gave a higher rating, it did feel like gospel and most of the time, they were spot-on. But nowadays, it seems your finest will poo-poo a highly anticipated project, simply because it didn't live up to your expectations. Ridley Scott is no fool and did well to avoid the obvious questions, he's a master. But look at The Dark Knight Rises: Any bets that whoever draws the short straw will give it 5/5 stars, simply because it's Chris Nolan?? (And I love the guy by the way!) I feel Empire's reviewers have taken the fun out of appreciating movies, with some exceptions like The Raid, which did deserve its 5 star rating.
)

Which reviewers?

Where's the back up for the suggestion the ratings have generally changed?

Where's the evidence a site gets more hits for not posting a rave review?

Have you seen the review threads where the posters disagreed with a high rating and post exactly the same kind of things you are but in reverse? (ie people make up arguments to go with their view of the film.)

Speaking of which - have you seen it yet to even be able to competent to judge whether you even agree with Ian Nathan's opinion? Because I'm not seeing a review. Which we'd love to see if you have. .

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 229
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:39:29 PM   
matty_b

quote:

So Empire give 'poor' ratings for films that don't meet expectations? Er...

But then they'll give 'good' ratings to people they like (because we all know that they hate Ridley Scott).

Except when they get the ratings right. In which case...they're right.

So much logic here, it's astonishing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 230
RE: Terrible review - 31/5/2012 6:41:51 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

. The only change made to the review after publication was the (swift) application of a spoiler warning for sensitive souls. We do these in the case of big films that people are all hyped about because that's where people tend to be hugely spoiler-sensitive; for the record, Ian himself doesn't think there are any spoilers in the review and certainly there are huge swathes of plot not addressed for just that reason.

If that's the case, Helen, then it's a recent innovation. I've read a number of reviews in the past that contained a pretty big spoiler here or there (and please don't ask me to cite them, as I can't remember and it was a little while back). It's bloody awful when it happens, like when a major hitherto-unknown-plot-point is revealed, or a character's fate discussed.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 31/5/2012 6:43:01 PM >

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

Post #: 231
RE: What the hell Empire?! - 31/5/2012 6:42:25 PM   
pete_traynor

Critics thought Bladerunner was White upon release.

They're just people scrambling for web traffic at the end of the day.

Go to cinema
Buy ticket
Open eyes
Draw own conclusion

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 232
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:44:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I think you guys are hyping yourselves up for disappointment, this thread ain't that crazy.

I dunno....this page has taken a turn into crazytown!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 233
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:48:31 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

http://i.imgur.com/ZyEs3.gif

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 31/5/2012 6:49:02 PM >

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 234
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:50:18 PM   
Whistler

quote:

I don't troll, uh-uh. Empire's guilty of that crime.

Post #: 235
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:50:36 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

They've even turned against the Empire staff. Its a mutiny!!!!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 236
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:51:04 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

So Empire give 'poor' ratings for films that don't meet expectations? Er...

But then they'll give 'good' ratings to people they like (because we all know that they hate Ridley Scott).

Except when they get the ratings right. In which case...they're right.

So much logic here, it's astonishing.

It can basically be summed up as

PEOPLEHAVEDIFFERENTOPINIONSTOMERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 237
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:51:22 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

http://i.imgur.com/ZyEs3.gif

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 238
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:53:02 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think I've turned up at just the right time

http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Popcorn-09-Psych.gif

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 239
RE: Knock, knock! Who's there? Empire? Empire who? - 31/5/2012 6:57:53 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think I've turned up at just the right time

http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Popcorn-09-Psych.gif

Hood, both of your last gifs made me piss myself.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Terrible review Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI