Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Spoilers or what!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Spoilers or what! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 1:46:12 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: makins

ridleys films rarely get very good initial reviews, the critics are always sniffy about him, "lack of character, style over substance" etc. his films are slow burners anyway, you cant take them all in with one sitting, they reveal more with repeated viewings and are always so rich in detail. and lets face it most film critics are merely frustrated film makers anyway, who never had the talent to go out and be a success making their own films and can only stand from the sidelines looking in and throwing in their little comments at others efforts. at the end of the day their views are no more relevant than those of regular audience members like us, and whatever the critics say this film is going to be huge with audiences, it is critic-proof.

You've opened a can of worms with that one.

(in reply to makins)
Post #: 181
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 1:47:42 PM   
elab49

No can of worms - sounds more like a chip on the shoulder given it seems to be utter nonsense. Cahiers has a lot to answer for

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 182
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 1:47:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

We do it with quite a lot of films really, the manager is quite laid back about it and as long as we've got the password that unlocks the film then he'll usually put it on. It is mainly the big ones though, John Carter, Avengers, MiB3, Dictator to name a few. Its usually only a day or so before the actual release (Avengers was the Tuesday so bragging rights were mine!) but it just means no annoying customers there to ruin it!

But yeah, for me Prometheus is a hit so I hope you won't be disappointed. It could have benefited from a top, top screenwriter to iron out the stereotypical background characters but the leads are all fleshed out. And as I said, Fassbender's David is a revelation.

O/T We actually saw Avengers in a cinema by ourselves on Monday. I'd happily give up some atmosphere to be able to enjoy a film in peace. It sounds a great perk

On-Topic - I'll be interested to see how Fassbender does. I've seen a couple of good performances and some so bland it's difficult to see a person on screen. I think he needs a strong director - and Ridley never struck me as an actors' director.

I think he has admitted this himself - but it worked for him on Alien where the characters weren't really given backgrounds - they were reactive characters. Screenwriters have sort of lost their abilty to write characters like that....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 183
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 1:50:00 PM   
elab49

But it's more the actor, though. Some actors give good performances irrespective of the director - I think some need more/better direction. Fassbender, so for for me, is one of those.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 184
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 1:51:09 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

No Spoilers Here.

I loved it. Absolutely beautiful film, a work of art if you ask me but then expect nothing else from Ridley Scott. It was exactly the kind of film I was expecting. Fassbender is superb, it is suitably horrific in places and the final moments gave me goosebumps. There are a few problems; there's really no need to have so many background characters who rarely get a look in and some of the dialogue is clunky but that aside it was excellent. The 3D was beautiful, especially the extreme wide shots of Prometheus in space.

So it doesn't suffer too much from the light loss?

It was barely noticeable, the film is generally quite bright throughout and the darker scenes when they're off exploring look great as well.

As for where I rank it in the Alien series, I'd have to watch it again a few times. I've seen those films countless times and so they're sort of ingrained on me and I find it difficult to judge them. I'd say its definitely better than Resurrection though but not quite as good as Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 185
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 1:51:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

But it's more the actor, though. Some actors give good performances irrespective of the director - I think some need more/better direction. Fassbender, so for for me, is one of those.

See, I thought he was utterly awful in A Dangerous Method, but Cronenberg is very much an actors director.

I suspect actors will listen to Scott nowerdays, esp those younger ones.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 186
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 1:51:42 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: makins

ridleys films rarely get very good initial reviews, the critics are always sniffy about him, "lack of character, style over substance" etc. his films are slow burners anyway, you cant take them all in with one sitting,

Robin Hood you can. That's as shit on repeat viewings as it was the first time around.

quote:

and lets face it most film critics are merely frustrated film makers anyway, who never had the talent to go out and be a success making their own films and can only stand from the sidelines looking in and throwing in their little comments at others efforts. at the end of the day their views are no more relevant than those of regular audience members like us, and whatever the critics say this film is going to be huge with audiences, it is critic-proof.

BONG!

(in reply to makins)
Post #: 187
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 1:52:59 PM   
superdan

quote:

I'd say its definitely better than Resurrection though but not quite as good as Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

*Sharp intake of breath* Oh dear

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 188
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 1:55:28 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

No Spoilers Here.

I loved it. Absolutely beautiful film, a work of art if you ask me but then expect nothing else from Ridley Scott. It was exactly the kind of film I was expecting. Fassbender is superb, it is suitably horrific in places and the final moments gave me goosebumps. There are a few problems; there's really no need to have so many background characters who rarely get a look in and some of the dialogue is clunky but that aside it was excellent. The 3D was beautiful, especially the extreme wide shots of Prometheus in space.

It was barely noticeable, the film is generally quite bright throughout and the darker scenes when they're off exploring look great as well.

As for where I rank it in the Alien series, I'd have to watch it again a few times. I've seen those films countless times and so they're sort of ingrained on me and I find it difficult to judge them. I'd say its definitely better than Resurrection though but not quite as good as Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Please tell me your joking.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 189
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 1:56:41 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

See, I thought he was utterly awful in A Dangerous Method, but Cronenberg is very much an actors director.

I suspect actors will listen to Scott nowerdays, esp those younger ones.

Not seen it I'm afraid. I'm not saying every actors' director will get a result, mind. But I do think some actors need something they can't seem to get themselves.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 190
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 2:01:44 PM   
jonson

quote:

No Spoilers Here.

Nice one Mojo. 8 pages in and I've finally found a review of the film
I'm seeing 3D version on Saturday, I was quite dissapointed I couldn't see it in 2D as the only decent 3D film I've seen is Avatar, but I'm quite looking forward to this now.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 191
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 2:07:13 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

quote:

quote:

No Spoilers Here.

As for where I rank it in the Alien series, I'd have to watch it again a few times. I've seen those films countless times and so they're sort of

OK, now I'm considering seeing this thing in threed.

I don't have a problem with the idea of 3D, but I do have a problem with how the technology has been handled.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 31/5/2012 2:08:03 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 192
Prometheus - 31/5/2012 2:09:34 PM   
Whistler

I can't keep up with the pace of this thread.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 193
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 2:10:23 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

I'd say its definitely better than Resurrection though but not quite as good as Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 194
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 2:11:27 PM   
Spaldron

Not long till ten pages, I'm upping the stakes and betting on 15 pages by midnight.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 195
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 2:13:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

Push it to the limit!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 196
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 2:18:24 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

Relax people, that was said in jest!

Been telling my Dad about Prometheus and looks like he's finally going to go the cinema for the first time since Return of the King.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 197
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 2:18:26 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

quote:

Is that a serious comment? Christ, if Prometheus is worse than AvP: Requiem, I'll personally go to Ridley Scott's house and slap him across the chops.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 198
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 2:20:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

It isn't a prequel to Alien.

It is a remake of AVP.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 199
RE: Terrible review - 31/5/2012 2:22:33 PM   
drews

If Ian Nathan reviews The Dark Knight Rises and ONLY gives it 3 stars, people on here are gonna go into meltdown!!

< Message edited by drews -- 31/5/2012 2:32:29 PM >

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.
Post #: 200
RE: Terrible review - 31/5/2012 2:40:35 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: drews

If Ian Nathan reviews The Dark Knight Rises and ONLY gives it 3 stars, people on here are gonna go into meltdown!!

I dont have an issuse with the Stars given.What I do have issues with is how the review was written and how it reads terribly negative only for the writer to give it a somewhat positive spin with a decent 3/5 rating.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 31/5/2012 2:41:43 PM >

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 201
RE: Was the reviewer listening to Ridley or not? - 31/5/2012 2:46:33 PM   
Filmfan 2

**In case you genuinely haven't seen it yet, spoilers for The Phantom Menace**

I stopped reading Empire reviews for movies I really want to see a loooooooooong time ago. The level of spoilage is some reviews is just ridiculous, and it's the same reason why I haven't watched trailers for the films I'm desperately looking forward to since about 2001. I lapse occasionally, but I've learned the hard way to avoid all these things as it ruins the experience somewhat. I vividly remember buying a copy of The Sun or some other shitty red-top back in '99 purely for the supplement they had on The Phantom Menace. I was hyped for that film and when I opened up the supplement, there was a blow-by-blow summary of the plot, even a picture of Darth Maul being cut in half and falling into the pit. I was gutted!!!!!

Since then, and after having my fingers burned by Empire reviews a few times, I decided enough was enough and I just stopped reading reviews until I'd seen a film.

Anyway, I'm not going to sit and review a review. If Ian did indeed spoil too much, then shame on him. As for the movie, I'll be reserving judgement until I've actually seen it, but I suppose the level of hysteria built up over was seems to have been billed in some quarters as the 'second coming of the sci-fi movie' is bound to create disappointment.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 31/5/2012 2:48:05 PM >

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

Post #: 202
RE: wowowee - 31/5/2012 3:08:00 PM   
7eke

Filmfan your avatar made me spit coffee out hahahaaa. FABULOUS!!!

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. - Ron Burgundy
Post #: 203
RE: wowowee - 31/5/2012 3:17:03 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: 7eke

Filmfan your avatar made me spit coffee out hahahaaa. FABULOUS!!!

Hehe, glad you like it.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to 7eke)
Post #: 204
RE: wowowee - 31/5/2012 4:03:19 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I think we should take Ian Nathan's 3 star review with a pinch of salt, afterall, this is the guy who gave TRANSFORMERS 4 fucking stars!

I'd give Transformers 4 stars as well.
Post #: 205
RE: wowowee - 31/5/2012 4:06:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

I think we should take Ian Nathan's 3 star review with a pinch of salt, afterall, this is the guy who gave TRANSFORMERS 4 fucking stars!

I'd give Transformers 4 stars as well.

The first Transformers got positive reviews from quite a few places.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 206
RE: wowowee - 31/5/2012 4:13:41 PM   
7eke

quote:

To bring his taste into question it would have been better to mention he gave Hanna 4 stars.

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. - Ron Burgundy
Post #: 207
RE: RE: - 31/5/2012 4:27:15 PM   
RobotDevil

quote:

Not long till ten pages, I'm upping the stakes and betting on 15 pages by midnight.

The Avengers review thread has only made it to 13 pages after over a month on general release, compared to this film which still doesn't open for 7.5 hours.
I haven't seen much in this thread resembling an actual review (this post included). So far it's been reviews of the review, reviews of the reviewers other reviews and so on.
Perhaps that will change at 0230 tomorrow. Perhaps not.

I had Korean Barbecue for lunch - I cannot look at a Dr Moreau pigbaby.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 208
RE: Terrible review - 31/5/2012 5:05:32 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: drews

I dont have an issuse with the Stars given.What I do have issues with is how the review was written and how it reads terribly negative only for the writer to give it a somewhat positive spin with a decent 3/5 rating.

It does seem rather negative to me. 3 stars is pretty good but it sounded like he was very disappointed.

I still want to see it, not sure when I can though...

Post #: 209
RE: Terrible review - 31/5/2012 5:28:09 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Ok, my intention was to watch this at IMAX, now i've just found out they aren't showing it at Bradford while the 25th, THE 25TH !! What the fck am I gonna do till then ?.

I'm keepin well out of this fcker. Laters !

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 31/5/2012 5:29:10 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Spoilers or what! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI