Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 11:32:57 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Somewhere out there, a tingle goes down PA's back....

What's going on here?

Those of you arguing that Ian didn't like it because it "clearly" wasn't Alien, please give me the excerpts (spoiler-free since '83) where he states of implies that it's bad because it isn't like the first film in a franchise that has been all about stylistic divergence.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 91
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 11:39:41 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Anyone else vaguely amused that Maffew called people retards and instead of editing the post Elab just quoted it?

So I got bored part way through the post - sue me.

Maffew, you've been around long enough to know the rules. Keep that kind of insult off the Board, please.

I missed the memo, sorry.. Weird, I hear that word on kids movies and have never thought anything of it, and also have never once in my life thought to use it.. First time ever right there! And never again on these boards Mr. Elab

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 92
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 11:41:00 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

quote:

quote:

Anyone else vaguely amused that Maffew called people retards and instead of editing the post Elab just quoted it?

Maffew, you've been around long enough to know the rules. Keep that kind of insult off the Board, please.

I missed the memo, sorry.. Weird, I hear that word on kids movies and have never thought anything of it, and also have never once in my life thought to use it.. First time ever right there! And never again on these boards Mr. Elab

Elab's a lady.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 93
the hype machine - 30/5/2012 11:48:11 PM   
the_driver

This isn't the first time Empire has completely hyped a film and then trashed it in the reviews, The Invention of Lying which is don't get me wrong awful was hyped and had numerous features only to give it a one star review. The hype machine only affects the readers of the magazine while we live a reviewing culture of criminally underrating some films and overrating others, Like giving films like Tyrannosaur, Drive and the Social Network only 4 star reviews when it goes to the cinema and then when the hype has gone giving all these films five stars when they go on the review section get 5 stars after the hype dies down.
But as with most films I will reserve my judgments until I see the film.

< Message edited by the_driver -- 30/5/2012 11:49:51 PM >

'I don't carry a gun. I drive' -Drive
'I aim to misbehave' Serenity
Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else' Fight Club

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 94
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 11:56:40 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

quote:

quote:

Elab's a lady.

well well.. the learning continues.. she called... Bela?? that would make sense..hm..

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 95
RE: the hype machine - 31/5/2012 12:03:08 AM   
lamby

I've got no problem if Empire or the reviewer decide to give the movie a poor/average/great review. Personally I rely more on Rottentomatoes for an overall review.

My problem with Ian's review is that the content is simply not of a 3 star review. It's more a 2 star or god forbid 1 star review. There is simply no justification of a 3 star film in what he wrote and for me is where he has gone wrong.
Post #: 96
RE: the hype machine - 31/5/2012 12:07:44 AM   
Spaldron

Fucking hell, five pages in three hours?!!! Good luck mods.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 97
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 31/5/2012 12:12:02 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Seriously people, he wrote a whole book about Alien. I think he knows what he is talking about here...

That makes him LESS trustworthy to write a review as clearly he is obsessed with Alien and he would reject anything in Prometheus that wasn't like Alien.

If he was somehow incapable of seperating the two...

I agree with directorscut on this. Nathan is the last person they should've sent to review it as (going by the review) he'd spend the whole film comparing the two.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 98
RE: Empire isn't a person - 31/5/2012 12:33:43 AM   
Qwerty Norris

So my initial fears over the inclusion of Jon "The Darkest Hour" Spaihts have proven to be valid?

Bugger...

Will see for myself all the same on Saturday.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 99
RE: Empire isn't a person - 31/5/2012 12:54:35 AM   
Phubbs

This Sun I will find out for myself and review..but I'm reading allot of poor reviews right now

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 100
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 31/5/2012 1:57:30 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seriously people, he wrote a whole book about Alien. I think he knows what he is talking about here...

That makes him LESS trustworthy to write a review as clearly he is obsessed with Alien and he would reject anything in Prometheus that wasn't like Alien.

I agree with directorscut on this. Nathan is the last person they should've sent to review it as (going by the review) he'd spend the whole film comparing the two.

I repeat -

quote:

Those of you arguing that Ian didn't like it because it "clearly" wasn't Alien, please give me the excerpts (spoiler-free since '83) where he states of implies that it's bad because it isn't like the first film in a franchise that has been all about stylistic divergence.

I haven't read the review yet because I'm seeing it on Saturday and want to keep as spoiler-free as possible, but surely you can back up that assertion with evidence that isn't loaded with story spoilers, just a couple of clicks and Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 101
RE: Prometheus - 31/5/2012 7:44:57 AM   
drews

"Prometheus, are you seeing these reviews?"

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 102
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 8:08:53 AM   
jonson

5 pages
In my opinion, the reviews thread shouldn't be posted in until the film has opened at least. 5 pages of utter shit, people's opinions on opinions, and 80% spam.
I think the review could have been predicted with the way the trailers have gone. First few teasers were looking like a 5 star film. The trailers got gradually longer, the premise got slightly more obvious, until the final trailer which could be stitched together to play out the entire film.
Anyway, fuck the review, Saturday at 9pm and I can't wait.

quote:

Reviewing seems to be a pretty thankless occupation IMO.

True, but I wouldn't consider it an occupation. Well, not a proper one anyway.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 103
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 31/5/2012 9:04:04 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because that is something none of us would be doing? In fact surely being such a big Alien fan means he was more likely to to defend the film?

I am pretty sure people would be up in arms if the film was reviewed by someone who had no clue about the Alien universe.

Also - if this thread isn't ten pages by the time of the midnight screenings then something is wrong...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 104
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 9:04:25 AM   
jrewing1000

A disappointing review. As a rule of thumb, reviews should NEVER have to come with a spoiler warning. The point of a review is to help the public decide whether or not to see the movie. They are not for film analysis - many reviewers get this wrong, and it annoys the hell out of me.

What's the point of posting a review that will spoil the experience for the reviewer? Ok, so you put a spoiler warning on it - so then many people won't read it! Utterly baffling really.

In fact, as a long-time reader of Empire, this is quite a surprise really - I thought they respected the viewer a little more than this.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 105
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 9:05:38 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

A disappointing review. As a rule of thumb, reviews should NEVER have to come with a spoiler warning. The point of a review is to help the public decide whether or not to see the movie. They are not for film analysis - many reviewers get this wrong, and it annoys the hell out of me.

What's the point of posting a review that will spoil the experience for the reviewer? Ok, so you put a spoiler warning on it - so then many people won't read it! Utterly baffling really.

In fact, as a long-time reader of Empire, this is quite a surprise really - I thought they respected the viewer a little more than this.

This is the review which will appear in a future magazine, long after the film has been out. Suspect that is why it isn't bothered with spoilers.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 106
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 9:06:19 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
Anyway, fuck the review, Saturday at 9pm and I can't wait.

Yep! Friday at 6.20pm and excited! Not seen any reviews and don't intend to read any before I see it. Will make my own mind up

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 107
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 9:25:19 AM   
steffols

quote:

quote:

This is the review which will appear in a future magazine, long after the film has been out. Suspect that is why it isn't bothered with spoilers.

He has a point though. Even if the review is going into next months magazine by which point the majority of people wanting to see Prometheus will have seen it, it doesn't excuse the fact that they put spoilers in. They did the same thing with Avengers and I'll be honest, it annoyed me because there was no spoiler warning.

There is no need to put spoilers in the review, to need to do so is just bad reviewing etiquette and somewhat arrogant as well.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 108
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 9:27:38 AM   
steffols

quote:

quote:

He has a point though. Even if the review is going to be in a later magazine which by that point the majority of people wanting to see Prometheus will have seen it, it doesn't excuse the need to put spoilers in the review. They did the same thing with Avengers and I'll be honest, it annoyed me as there was no spoiler warning and I wasn't expecting it.

To put spoilers in a review is unneeded and bad reviewing etiquette. It's also somewhat arrogant.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 109
RE: Dear God............ - 31/5/2012 9:27:48 AM   
steffols

quote:

quote:

He has a point though. Even if the review is going to be in a later magazine which by that point the majority of people wanting to see Prometheus will have seen it, it doesn't excuse the need to put spoilers in the review. They did the same thing with Avengers and I'll be honest, it annoyed me as there was no spoiler warning and I wasn't expecting it.

To put spoilers in a review is unneeded and bad reviewing etiquette. It's also somewhat arrogant.

Post #: 110
RE: Poor review - 31/5/2012 9:31:31 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: dragon_irl

I wonder what Kim Newman has to say about it........

This is a snippet from Kim Newman: " Bluntly, Alien was a simple film about people whose most pressing question was would they live through the next five minutes, while Prometheus is a complex movie about people asking big questions about the nature of the universe. It’s just that Alien‘s lost patrol/body count/runaround story takes place in a universe that has been thought about deeply and which contains mysteries that connected with audiences – we loved the film because it had a sense of knowing more than it told, which added to its horrors and mysteries. Alien is awesome in the old-fashioned sense of ‘with awe’. Prometheus seems to feel that any exciting genre elements are token, even as its deep thoughts are ultimately shallow."

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com
Post #: 111
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 9:32:16 AM   
jrewing1000

quote:

quote:

Are you telling me you never read reviews about past films you are considering watching? Jesus, I read Empire reviews of films made in the 70s that I'm considering. It's film review basics: People shouldn't have to worry about reading something in a review that will give away the story. I am constantly astonished at how many people don't care about knowing too much of a film before they see it. Eg. Sneak previews of Batman, overlong, overdrawn trailers, interviews, etc etc. It is true every time - that the less I know about a film, the more I enjoy it.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 112
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 9:37:58 AM   
efc91

I will watch and decide for myself. I think I will enjoy it wasn't expecting to to be as good as the first two Aliens anyway.

As for all the mixed reviews I will put that down to poor marketing.

Post #: 113
RE: Dear God............ - 31/5/2012 9:42:05 AM   
Dirk Miggler

Didn't read all the review through fear of being spoiled. The 3 stars must mean he did enjoy the film but the tone of the review from what i've read seems one of overall disappointment. Going in expecting greatness and the more than frequent references/comparisons to Alien and Aliens suggest he was always going to be though.

Overall the initiall reaction seems mixed to positive, and with a film with these sort of themes I'm hardly suprised. I'm still really excited for this film.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 31/5/2012 9:49:22 AM >

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 114
RE: What the hell Empire?! - 31/5/2012 9:53:26 AM   
Scruffybobby

Only 2 stars on denofgeek. Eeek.

Will post again once I've seen it. Keeping my hopes up. The next 14 hours will be looooonnnngggg

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams
Post #: 115
RE: Spoilers or what! - 31/5/2012 9:54:48 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you telling me you never read reviews about past films you are considering watching? Jesus, I read Empire reviews of films made in the 70s that I'm considering. It's film review basics: People shouldn't have to worry about reading something in a review that will give away the story. I am constantly astonished at how many people don't care about knowing too much of a film before they see it. Eg. Sneak previews of Batman, overlong, overdrawn trailers, interviews, etc etc. It is true every time - that the less I know about a film, the more I enjoy it.

Sure, but if Pauline Kael threw some spoilers into a review for a 1970s flick, I am not going to be cursing her.

This whole OMG SPOILERS! thing is reaching peak critical mass. People being shouted at for discussing the latest Games of Thrones on twitter, reviews that want to talk about the plot and not just present a bland arguement that no one will care about, but get shouted at for doing so...

If folks are worried about knowing anything about the film, then just look at the star rating and don't click to read the longer review.

A film stands or falls not on how little or how much you know about it, but by how well it does those things. Is the ending of the 1960s Planet of the Apes weaker cause we know the "twist" going in? Is the 2000 remake stronger because you go in not knowing the ending?

I sympathise with people not wanting to be spoiled by the film, but really, you are taking matters into your own hands when you start reading indepth reviews ahead of time.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 31/5/2012 9:55:44 AM >

Post #: 116
RE: What the hell Empire?! - 31/5/2012 9:57:00 AM   
lamby

As I mentioned above, my main gripe is that the review is simply not a 3 star review. Rottentomatoes have even put up empire's review with Ian's final comments quoted and given it a green splat. Last time I checked a 3 star movie was supposed to be a GOOD film? They quite rightly have read Ian's review and have realised that it's simply a 1/2 star review. 

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 117
RE: Poor review - 31/5/2012 10:01:41 AM   
jmebaby25

I just don't understand all of the complaining that THIS REVIEW IS WRONG when, in particular, it's from people who haven't seen the film. Empire's review seems very much in keeping with other top critics both in their columns and their twitter musings.

Equally ridiculous is all the whining about Empire hyping the film up too much. This is Sir Ridley Scott of Blade Runner and Alien returning to sci-fi (and we'd hoped with a dash of horror in there too). What kind of self respecting film fan and film critic wouldn't be excited about that? Add to it the excellent TED and David viral teasers and you've got well deserved hype. Empire didn't say - "this film is going to be awesome". They said that, this trailer looks great and that viral clip is ace. All of which was true.

Sadly it's been a long, long time since Ridley Scott made a great film. In Scott's case, the trash heavily outweighs the great. Hopefully I can now go into Prometheus with expectations low enough that I'll enjoy it. I mean, it can't be as bad as AvP can it?

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 118
RE: Poor review - 31/5/2012 10:22:11 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

I just don't understand all of the complaining that THIS REVIEW IS WRONG when, in particular, it's from people who haven't seen the film. Empire's review seems very much in keeping with other top critics both in their columns and their twitter musings.

Equally ridiculous is all the whining about Empire hyping the film up too much. This is Sir Ridley Scott of Blade Runner and Alien returning to sci-fi (and we'd hoped with a dash of horror in there too). What kind of self respecting film fan and film critic wouldn't be excited about that? Add to it the excellent TED and David viral teasers and you've got well deserved hype. Empire didn't say - "this film is going to be awesome". They said that, this trailer looks great and that viral clip is ace. All of which was true.

Sadly it's been a long, long time since Ridley Scott made a great film. In Scott's case, the trash heavily outweighs the great. Hopefully I can now go into Prometheus with expectations low enough that I'll enjoy it. I mean, it can't be as bad as AvP can it?

Spoiler.
Your in for a shock ending.

Is Fassbender actually a Predator?
Post #: 119
RE: Poor review - 31/5/2012 10:25:47 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

Spoiler.
Your in for a shock ending.

Is Fassbender actually a Predator?

funnily enough......

Its kind of weird that the whole structure of Prometheus is vaguely similiar to that of AVP.
spoilers below,again.Taken from another forum
This plot structure is unique to AVP:

Ancient aliens are worshiped as Gods

An ancient temple is found by some scientists

A team consisting of Weyland, scientists to study the temple, and mercs go on a mission to investigate the Alien temple

Inside the temple the team gets separated and some members of the team are attacked by facehuggers (cobra-alien much?)

The other team members are attacked by Aliens and Weyland reveals he is dying and has a hidden agenda

An Ancient alien of the species once worshiped as Gods kills him

A female human survivor escapes the exploding temple

Surprise, one main Alien Survives the explosion and attacks her

Then out of nowhere another extra-terrestrial attacks the Alien thus saving the female protagonist

To say Lindelof copied this plot structure would not be an understatement.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI