Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Prometheus (2012)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Prometheus (2012) Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Prometheus (2012) - 11/10/2012 1:43:05 AM   
Gazz

Some Spoilers Ahead...

Let me start by saying that Prometheus is a bit mess of themes and plot points not helped by some poor third act editing choices, but it's an admirable mess that attempts to open the Alien series up to a larger sci-fi canvas. Since Alien Resurrection "graced" our cinema screens in '97 the series has stuck to the tired formula of aping the action and pacing of James Cameron's Aliens and any potential expansion of the universe since has been merely hinted at rather than properly explored. Scott's Prometheus marks that first bold but shaky step into the unknown.

When making Alien, Ridley Scott and writer Dan O' Bannon originally intended the universe to be wider in cinematic scope than accomplished. Unfortunately a constrictive budget held them back from exploration beyond the bare essential. This forced Scott and crew to cut back, even bringing the then unfinished fossilised Space Jockey set in to question with worried studio heads (a battle Scott fortunatly won). Paul WS Anderson's later Alien vs Predator may have shamelessly ripped off a few of these lost story elements (resulting in a begrudging story credit for Dan O'Bannon) but their promise was wasted on poor direction and a narrative more interested in WWF style alien on alien wrestling. With Prometheus Scott has finally managed to take the series to the places he originally intended to explore, resulting in a film that, much like 2001, tackles the relationship between men and their makers amongst many other things (like who the Space Jockey was, why was he transporting those eggs and what they were originally intended for). And now the door has been left swinging in the wind, wide open for any kind of imaginative or ghastly sci-fi tale or landscape.

Where Prometheus fails is in the single mindedness of it's main characters (not to mention the stupidity that some display in serving the plot). The narrative is also somewhat bogged down with attempts to provide moments between the obvious cannon fodder background characters when it should be affording its leads with depth. Despite this Prometheus succeeds in providing the series with its most interesting character since Ripley bowed out in Alien 3. Micheal Fassbender's David is a revelation. One part Bishop, two parts Ash and a mystery throughout. Both an enigma and a pleasure to watch. Unfortunately like many characters in the film, the editing betrays him and we're left with a couple of half developed but nonetheless interesting sub-plots (like the love triangle between himself, Shaw and Holloway). The film reeks of the feeling that much like Kingdom of Heaven, there's a great film bubbling under the surface of a merely good one.

Because of these half developed sub-plots, Prometheus feels as if half a film. Not only does it ask more questions than it answers (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) it ends as if part one of an ongoing tale rather than as a self contained narrative. All setup, primed and ready to pay off in later instalments to the franchise. The parting shot also translates as a poorly judged fan service, squandering potential for a significant beastie in the execution. The primary problem being that Scott and the writing staff had built the creature up to be the film's big bad, hinting at the kind of devastation it rained down on the race of Engineers 2000 years before. Unfortunately they only provide the creature with a scant few seconds to shine. It's another halfway developed sub-plot waiting to be expanded in an inevitable sequel. And yet despite these misgivings Prometheus manages to entertain and engage throughout.

Refreshingly the film doesn't pander to audiences by over explaining each and every plot point. And though the film does provide a few answers to key questions fans have about the Space Jockey characters and their race it does well not to destroy the mysticism surrounding them and their culture. Not to mention that the production design is top notch, rivalling the aesthetic excitement and intrigue of sci-fi films twice Prometheus' budget. Scott is truly a wizard of aesthetic pleasure. The entire look, feel and atmosphere is exactly what you would want from an Alien film. Prometheus is flawed but pure sci-fi and demands a second viewing. It harkens to a time when sci-fi films explored big themes and dared to delve beyond popcorn visuals. Overall, Prometheus is a solid sci-fi tale that offers further promising and exciting places to explore in the Alien universe. Now, I can't remember the last time I felt that about a film related to the Alien series.

4/5

< Message edited by Gazz -- 11/10/2012 1:51:40 AM >

(in reply to Boyden)
Post #: 961
RE: Prometheus (2012) - 11/10/2012 12:54:28 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazz

Some Spoilers Ahead...

Refreshingly the film doesn't pander to audiences by over explaining each and every plot point. And though the film does provide a few answers to key questions fans have about the Space Jockey characters and their race it does well not to destroy the mysticism surrounding them and their culture. Not to mention that the production design is top notch, rivalling the aesthetic excitement and intrigue of sci-fi films twice Prometheus' budget. Scott is truly a wizard of aesthetic pleasure. The entire look, feel and atmosphere is exactly what you would want from an Alien film. Prometheus is flawed but pure sci-fi and demands a second viewing. It harkens to a time when sci-fi films explored big themes and dared to delve beyond popcorn visuals. Overall, Prometheus is a solid sci-fi tale that offers further promising and exciting places to explore in the Alien universe. Now, I can't remember the last time I felt that about a film related to the Alien series.

4/5

I found that it totally SHATTERED any mysticism about the SJ race, by the (antclimactic) reveal that they're actually humanoids in suits! Unfortunately it's this sort of thing that a director's cut won't be able to fix.

< Message edited by Vitamin F -- 11/10/2012 1:21:18 PM >

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 962
RE: Prometheus (2012) - 11/10/2012 2:03:07 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

quote:

Some Spoilers Ahead...

4/5

I found that it totally SHATTERED any mysticism about the SJ race, by the (antclimactic) reveal that they're actually humanoids in suits! Unfortunately it's this sort of thing that a director's cut won't be able to fix.

I personally had no problem with the Space Jockeys appearance or the general films visual representations/ideas.
My problem is ,is the fact that once they land on LV-blah-blah everything,story-rise,gets thrown up into the air.

Prometheus,although I enjoyed it,is a very easy Film to butcher critically.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 963
Prometheus- The Indiana Jones KOTCS of 2012 - 11/10/2012 2:20:48 PM   
JJB888

Let me clarify, I enjoyed the fourth Indiana Jones film and I think that like that, Ridley Scott's Sci-Fi Opus has been bolstered by its own, almost unachievable hype. I understand people's dislike and disappointment at Prometheus but in many ways it was a film destroyed by its own hype. Many audiences went in expecting Alien 5 and as we all well know it was far from it. Prometheus is fundamentally a flawed film, the script was not polished, many characters were pure Extraterrestrial fodder and the plotting took a downturn as we reached the climax. Where the film did fly was with some of the performances (Fassbender's David for instance), some of the ideology and the far reaching meanings. Prometheus had many ideas that other films of the gene would not attempt and whilst the film was at times defined more by its visuals, score and spectacle than anything else, I felt it doesn't deserve being classed as an empty money making vehicle. Scott did not need to make the film, he just wanted to and in my mind I think more questions are to come, along with more answers. I enjoyed the film and whilst I understand the flaws, I felt the film was a success in many other departments.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 964
RE: Prometheus (2012) - 11/10/2012 3:12:31 PM   
Gazz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

quote:

Some Spoilers Ahead...

4/5

I'm just as interested in the creatures as I was before the film went into production, albiet for entirely different reasons (such as their faith and how the xenomorph figures into it). I also found all other forms of the Space Jockey creature (through countless videogames and comic books) to be quite ridiculous and laughable. I was kinda bored by that very common direction of thought. My only real criticism about the creatures is that all the character found in the final Engineer is unfortunately left on the cutting room floor.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 965
Class Science Fiction - 11/10/2012 3:40:49 PM   
Funk_Knight

Upon seeing the Bluray (and some ogf the deleted scenes) some of the dialogue and scene choices make more sense now. In all this has completely refreshed and opened up the Alien Universe. Its fantastic sciene fiction and becomes more intriguing the more I see it! Great Stuff!!!

Post #: 966
RE: Prometheus- The Indiana Jones KOTCS of 2012 - 12/10/2012 12:01:51 AM   
Vidal

quote:

ORIGINAL: JJB888

Let me clarify, I enjoyed the fourth Indiana Jones film and I think that like that, Ridley Scott's Sci-Fi Opus has been bolstered by its own, almost unachievable hype. I understand people's dislike and disappointment at Prometheus but in many ways it was a film destroyed by its own hype. Many audiences went in expecting Alien 5 and as we all well know it was far from it. Prometheus is fundamentally a flawed film, the script was not polished, many characters were pure Extraterrestrial fodder and the plotting took a downturn as we reached the climax. Where the film did fly was with some of the performances (Fassbender's David for instance), some of the ideology and the far reaching meanings. Prometheus had many ideas that other films of the gene would not attempt and whilst the film was at times defined more by its visuals, score and spectacle than anything else, I felt it doesn't deserve being classed as an empty money making vehicle. Scott did not need to make the film, he just wanted to and in my mind I think more questions are to come, along with more answers. I enjoyed the film and whilst I understand the flaws, I felt the film was a success in many other departments.

Good post, I pretty much agree with everything you've said. However I don't think people were really expecting Alien 5. I think people were just genuinely disappointed in Prometheus, because of the points you mentioned. For me, it was reasonably entertaining, but what frustrated me was, like a lot of movies out there today, it had the potential to be so much better. It's like Ridley Scott didn't have the balls to go all out and create a genre defining movie. Yes Prometheus had some fascinating themes and got you thinking, but ultimately Ridley Scott played it safe. Especially with the ending. Perhaps he flirted with the idea of creating something unique, but maybe fear of failure drove him to Hollywoodise it.

(in reply to JJB888)
Post #: 967
RE: Prometheus- The Indiana Jones KOTCS of 2012 - 12/10/2012 4:06:31 PM   
Don_a_van

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vidal
Good post, I pretty much agree with everything you've said. However I don't think people were really expecting Alien 5. I think people were just genuinely disappointed in Prometheus, because of the points you mentioned. For me, it was reasonably entertaining, but what frustrated me was, like a lot of movies out there today, it had the potential to be so much better. It's like Ridley Scott didn't have the balls to go all out and create a genre defining movie. Yes Prometheus had some fascinating themes and got you thinking, but ultimately Ridley Scott played it safe. Especially with the ending. Perhaps he flirted with the idea of creating something unique, but maybe fear of failure drove him to Hollywoodise it.

Spot on I reckon, I wouldn't expect a director of Ridley's calibre to sell out but it almost seems like he was pressured into making a film that was more "marketable". Some of the deleted scenes do go some way to clearing up some of the WTF moments so a director's cut might make the film make a bit more sense, however it will do very little for the by the numbers script and card board cut-out characterisation.

(in reply to Vidal)
Post #: 968
Prometheus is a very, very, very sorry affair. - 13/10/2012 7:31:18 PM   
the norseman

Just watched Prometheus again
. Think about this... If we lived in a world where no one had made Alien.,then made Alien, you would watch it
If you lived in a world where no one had made Alien, then made Prometheus, you would go out and get some fresh air, maybe walk the dog or do some gardening instead. When in space if your most charismatic character is the robot then you're either in trouble or making 2001 A Space Odyssey (although it was a wonderful homage to 'Ash')
. Very very disappointing, not a prequel, not a remake, not a stand alone and sure as big leathery eggs are eggs, not worthy of any association with the existing body of work. Although, on a brighter note, now Alien Resurrection has now become the fourth worst Alien film..

Post #: 969
RE: Prometheus (2012) - 17/10/2012 10:19:30 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boyden

I bought the DVD on Monday and have watched the film twice since then. When I first saw it at the cinema, I came away with a slightly empty feeling inside (unlike the engineer), it looked beautiful and touched on some of the subjects that most fans felt would be dealt with, but something was missing. After watching it again, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it this time around, I feel the plus points out weigh the negatives, and hopefully with a new writer the sequel can tie up all of the loose ends.

AND, having watched it again I think the cesarean scene is a totally perfect antidote to all of the chesbursting scenes post Alien/Aliens. A true sense of fear and suspense, plus awesome musical score to go along with the it.

I agree with you, I left feeling quite dejected on first viewing at the cinema but now while watching it on bluray I'm enjoying it much more. In fact I've just put two and two together on the snake creature things already. Which I didn't at the cinema. When they enter the hive for the first time you see 'meal like' worms from the tred of  David's or Holloway's boot. The worms get the black goo spilt on them and subsequently metamorphosise into the snake creatures that kill Fifield and his buddy. An early clue as to what the goo does.

< Message edited by MuckyMuckMan -- 17/10/2012 10:29:12 PM >

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Boyden)
Post #: 970
RE: Prometheus (2012) - 24/10/2012 12:56:39 AM   
Private Hudson

What was in the alternate beginnings and endings?

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 971
RE: Prometheus (2012) - 24/10/2012 9:21:07 AM   
Dannybohy

Without doubt the dullest movie of 2012! and it had some serious competition this year...especially with TDKR coming in second place...j

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 972
RE: Prometheus (2012) - 24/10/2012 9:45:43 AM   
Bad Ash

I really wanted to like this so much! After hearing loads of (mostly negative) reviews, I thought "Nah, surely it can't be this bad - I reckon I'll see something in it that everyone else has missed and when I explain it to them it'll be like a eureka type moment for them!" Sorry all, but I had no such luck! It looked very pretty, had good performances and I even quite liked the humanoid form of the Engineers. What I didn't like is the fact that it explained absolutely fuckall!! Isn't the point of a prequel that it kind of answers questions that perhaps the sequels had posed? Shouldn't it have lot's of "Aaaah, so that's where the blah blah came from" or "Aaaah right, so that's how they did XYZ!!" Prometheus just posed a bunch of new questions, got us really interested and keen to get the answers and then left us all hanging at the end!

I was really interested in the black goo, the egg type thingy's that housed said goo, the fact that the Engineers were supposedly advanced enough to be our creators (and the creators of many other worlds and races) yet basically acted like mindless albino Jason Statham's and just went round punching things and ripping androids heads off! And why were they on their way to destroy us and for what reason? What was the mini snake thing that came out of Logan Marshall Greens eye and also what was with that bit at the beginning with the kind of ritual suicide of one of the Engineers that lived on Earth! Also - how comes the squidward thing impregnating the Engineers = Xenomorph?? Just WTF basically Ridley, WTF - I demand answers!!!

I hope that a Directors cut or a decent sequel-prequel explains some of this and we can then blame the shoddy storytelling on the studio or something because this, as it stands this is a 2 star film that I'll give 3 because it looked pretty and I still harbour a belief that it was meant to be or might even become - so much more!

I know where the bastard sleeps!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 973
RE: Prometheus (2012) - 24/10/2012 11:06:41 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

What was in the alternate beginnings and endings?

The alternate opening is a group of Engineers and an elder Engineer on the waterfall edge with the sacrifice one. Also a bit more CG disintegration of the Engineer.

The ending has more dialogue between David and Shaw prior to her going back into the Juggernaut and also inside the Juggernaut. David elaborates on what the Engineer's were saying about their home world (saying the closest translation in English is 'paradise') from the hologran of them that he saw. Shaw also has the line "Because i'm human, and you're just a fucking robot"

Oh and a Predator shows up.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 974
RE: Prometheus - 25/10/2012 12:00:08 AM   
Iron Manc

quote:

ORIGINAL: makins

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurtangleuk

I have to say this film was a major disappointment. Heres a great article that makes the case perfectly. I really hope he stays away from Blade Runner!!

http://whatculture.com/film/prometheus-20-blunders-that-ruined-the-film.php

god what an absolutely shite article. these films are full of scientific inaccuracies its sci fi for christs sake not sci fact.

you want scientific implausible in an alien film try holding your breath for the same amount of time as the characters in the underwater chase in resurrection. indeed the idea central to these films that the creatures have acid blood is complete scientific bollocks but nobody moans about that or writes endless fucking lists on why the film ruined their life , dan o banno n needed a way of making the creature invulnerable and it was ron cobb who eventually came up with the idea of acid for blood, even dan admitted it made absolutely no sense whatsoever, it just got them out of a hole in reagards to why they couldn;t just shoot the thing or blow it up . i think if youre going to complain endlessly about a film because you didn't understand it or because characters in horror films do stupid things or because you wanted answers handed you on a plate and didn't get them or because the baby at the end was too fucking big, jeez maybe you should take up something less taxing for your poor brains.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"An overblown B-movie... technically impressive but awfully portentous and as difficult to sit through as a Black Mass sung in Latin"
L.A. Herald Examiner†

"Occasionally one sees a film that uses the emotional resources of movies with such utter cynicism that one feels sickened by the medium itself. "
David Denby, New York†

"There is very little involvement with the characters themselves ... A generally good cast in cardboard roles."†
Variety.†

"An empty-headed horror movie with nothing to recommend it beyond the art direction and some handsome, if gimmicky, cinematography."
Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader.†

"[An] empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickery can not disguise imaginative poverty."
Time Out

Maybe the aliens blood only becomes acidic when it comes into contact with oxygen. Don't forget your stomach has powerful acid inside, but it doesn't burn out of you.

(in reply to makins)
Post #: 975
RE: Prometheus - 25/10/2012 2:19:26 AM   
jobloffski

From the article referred to above:

"Prometheus in Greek mythology was the Titan that was given the job by Zeus to create Man. He gave mankind a number of gifts including fire. Prometheus also tricked Zeus into giving Man the best parts of animals that were sacrificed for the gods. This annoyed Zeus who sentenced Prometheus to be chained to a rock and have his liver eaten by an eagle. Apart from the tenuous link about creating man, what else does anything in the film have to do with Prometheus? Not much, itís just an illusion to make you think that the film has depth."

The relationship between the creator and the created, and the created turning on the creator and hating the creator for creating him and wanting to know why he was made is the key element of the Frankenstein story, which was originally subtitled The New Prometheus. Many sci fi stories feature such thematic material, of those created by the creator, because the creator wanted to 'be god' and the angst of the created, not happy to be what he was created for and wanting autonomy, and answers for why he was created. This stuff is all over the film Prometheus.

It is in the relationship between David and Weyland (creator and created, creator loves his creation, David is both servile to and rebellious against the reasons for his creation and he, out of curiosity to discover, goes beyond what he was asked to to (LIKE PROMETHEUS and his reward is that he gets torn apart LIKE PROMETHEUS)

Between Weyland and his daughter (creator and created, Creator disappointed with his creation and its existence and actions cause the creator anger, and he punishes (removal of affection) her for not being exactly what he set out to create. This punishment repeatedly hurts her, in the same way, over and over again (JUST LIKE THE PUNISHMENT OF PROMETHEUS IS
CARRIED OUT REPEATEDLY IN THE MYTH). She essentially resented her creator and wanted to usurp him and it brought about her destruction, JUST LIKE, etc)

Between Wayland and the engineer...he wants the knowledge of his creator, because of his achievements compared to other men, he believes himself entitled to the secrets of immortality (seeks parity with the gods, the god's response is to destroy him JUST LIKE PROMETHEUS)

The curiosity exhibited by Doctor Shaw implies a right assumed to be on a level playing field with the creator and to be entitled to the knowledge of the gods (JUST LIKE PROMETHEUS). Her 'punishment' for her search for parity with the gods is to end up being subjected to repeated agonising abdominal trauma (JUST LIKE PROMETHEUS).

The engineers engineer life. What they engineer clearly (by implications that are very strong, no matter how dumb the writer of the article must be not to see it) cant be controlled and just do their bidding, and what they create destroys them (what the gods fear if they don't destroy PROMETHEUS). The engineers intended to destroy their creation (humans) presumably fearing that their creations would seek parity with them, and therefore they wouldn't be superior, so the cheeky created must suffer (the lesson of the story PROMETHEUS from the POV of the Gods).

The engineers cant control what they have created, it has inclinations of its own and follows them (like prometheus). The Humans cant control David completely, the creation has inclinations of his own, and follows them, causing dangers for his creators (like prometheus).

The film is totally suffused in many ways with the core themes of prometheus, which is why the film is called prometheus. The myth is a metaphor for its message, and the presentation of relationships and motivations in the film reflect that message in various ways. The idea of prometheus is why the film exists, and why it has that name. It is bigger than the characters which is why the characters are 'sketchy'. They're not that sketchy though. And more than one viewing shows clearly a development of the relationship between the two survivors at the end via such things as the android asking Dr Shaw if she is okay, which is signifcant, because he is behaving more human than the human Holloway, who doesn;t ask her if she is okay. David is both protector and amoral follower of his own impulses as well as largely doing as he is told. Like a child, he is capable of being both caring, and just doing stuff to see what happens, and while the actions seem cruel or evil viewed objectively, it's about the impulse to know, to experience, not to be told what to do, or think by parents who want them to follow their example/orders and not disappoint them with inclinations of their own (children get told off for not doing what they are told and particularly bad parents lose their tempers and hurt their children for not being obedient enough, and taking the parent/child as the 'real world' comparison for the metaphor of Prometheus, we are all 'created' by 'beings that are 'superior' to us initially, then as we gain self awareness we try to seek out our own purpose, some find it, some don't, many suffer the rensions of always being a child in their parents eyes, some feel the destructive sting of parental disapproval).

Kinda, we are all Prometheus, yadder yadder yadder).

Why do the scientists behave like idiots, or become afraid?

I don;t know what the experience of experts is that is encountered by others, but here;s mine: experts are experts only when they are in a comfortable, controlled environment within the boundaries of what they know. Take someone beyond the limits of their expertise and they are as lost as they might ever as been as children seeing things for the first time (I'm clever in some ways, but a fucking imbcile compared to others in fields where they are the experts compared to me). They are not the experts anymore when they are no longer on the ship. They are as insignificant and unintelligent as the cells in a petri dish, becoming corrupted by a virus that is itself mutating as it seeks to find a viable form in which it can survive independently. That is the process being acted out in the story of Ridley Scott's Prometheus. The insatiable desire to know more about where we come from, and the dangers of trying to satisfy it.

But people are stupid when they're 'on a mission' . So stupid in this film that they call the ship Prometheus, presumably because they like the bit of the story about the bold challenge to the authority of the gods but don't take so much notice of the warning of the story, that Prometheus suffers eternal torment for his challenge to the authority of the gods. But like Prometheus, the desire to fulfill the goal they have in mind overrides all thoughts of the consequences of their actions. And they all pay the price, one way or another.

The writer of the article seeks to trash a film that is about a certain set of ideas above all else, with the other elements of the film conveniently falling into place to serve those ideas. But because he completely fails to notice those ideas actually ARE the film being played in various ways for the entire running time, all he notices are the contrivances put together to allow the point of the film to be able to play out.

Or there are none of these things at all in the film and my own powers of reasoning are energetic, but puppy enthusiastic and puppy dumb. Whatever, the film is one of my favourites ever at this time. So there!

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 25/10/2012 3:12:30 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Iron Manc)
Post #: 976
The Master returns - 30/10/2012 3:24:03 PM   
atom_band

Yes - visually stunning, atmospheric, esoteric - in other words everything you would expect from Sir Ridley Scott's return to sci-fi.
I can't call it a masterpiece yet.
Its the sort of film which requires repeated viewings

Post #: 977
RE: The Master returns - 2/11/2012 7:50:37 AM   
dghwood

Glad to see others thought this film was a bit of a let down too,

Im not sure whether it was supposed to be constantly referencing previous films or just ripping off scenes from them all the time.

felt a little bit like this movie was just a sort of weird mosaic of all the other movies combined.

And was the female lead just cast because she looks like Ripley?

I can imagine watching it the second time would be much better after your expectations have been significantly lowered.

I don't like star ratings so my lack of stars is not actually an indication of how bad I thought the movie was, I actually thought it was pretty cool just promised so much more!

Duncan,
Website designer and persistent film recommender
www.whatfilmtowatch.co.uk
What Film To Watch

(in reply to atom_band)
Post #: 978
RE: The Master returns - 16/11/2012 7:45:21 PM   
theoriginalcynic

How does one alien become two? Or am I missing something...

(in reply to dghwood)
Post #: 979
Three stars? Out of how many, 100? - 22/11/2012 6:31:37 AM   
Wes4Les

I enjoy reading "Empire" magazine. It is a very professional, engaging read every month. And in Richmond, VA there are only one or two bookstores who bother to stock it, which verifies in my mind just how special it is, considering the quality of the other junk mags stuffed in the racks.

However, I may have to re-consider just how intelligent it's reviews sections are, if someone watched "Prometheus" and believed it was worthy of three stars.

Once again, a review that mentions it's "stunning visuals," or that it's "visually stunning!" Well what do you expect for something that cost $125-150 million dollars, "Boxing Helena 2?" Of course it's going to look good for that much, and in my opinion, the best visuals are the "natural" ones, such as the opening shots filmed in Iceland, which are quickly ruined by adding a bald, Lou Ferrigno-ish looking humanoid that's been dusted w/ ghostly-blue chalk, gulping down gook that kills it w/in seconds. All of that takes place w/o bothering to tell the audience where this takes place, or in what time frame.

From then on, the movie goes straight downhill. Poorly scripted scenes, hokey dialogue, random character traits (the biologist is a perfect example: scared stiff of dead alien bodies, acting like Steve Irwin when confronted by a hissing snake-creature soon afterwards) expensive sets that are meant to awe but hardly get a passing glance from the camera, laughable situations (playing a flute to start an alien vessel, and running in a straight line to avoid being crushed by that same vessel that's going the same direction, behaving like an Olympian after having an octopus foetus yanked from a uterus, etc.) characters w/ no discernable traits other than being alien cannon-fodder, oh my word the list goes on ad infinitum.

Well, I had much more to say, but I see it got chopped off. Thanks for that, really.

< Message edited by Wes4Les -- 22/11/2012 6:43:19 AM >

Post #: 980
- 10/12/2012 3:40:18 PM   
stephenhickman2

The main problem with this film is that they have one of the writers/creators of Lost writing it. When first I spied his name at the beginning of the film I knew then that there would be no answers. This comes from someone who watched the last episode of Lost at five in the morning expecting there to be some answers, but sadly, I just felt like my mind had been raped for the last six years.
This man needs to stop writing.
So do I.

Post #: 981
RE: - 5/1/2013 6:38:19 PM   
chris kilby

Anyone else pick up on the cheeky Blade Runner reference buried in the "Peter Weyland Files" on the disc? And is it canon...?

(in reply to stephenhickman2)
Post #: 982
Prometheus - 9/1/2013 6:58:02 PM   
norgizfox

Strip away Ridley Scott and all you have is a generic and often predictable horror film (and even more, an alright copycat of it's "cousin" film). But Scott knows how to keep things lively, with spot-on performances from all of its cast to match the symbolic and ambiguous tone of the story. Add in some dazzling visuals, and some horrific/suspenseful moments, then you have yourself a blast, if not an "Alien Blast".

Post #: 983
RE: Prometheus - 11/2/2013 9:36:01 PM   
V.E.N.O.M

Well the opening sequence was pretty, wasn't it?

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

(in reply to norgizfox)
Post #: 984
RE: Prometheus - 12/2/2013 1:28:10 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

as was the rest of the movie. One of the best looking 2D and 3D presentations on Blu Ray from 2012 IMO

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to V.E.N.O.M)
Post #: 985
RE: Prometheus - 25/2/2013 10:25:32 PM   
moviebuff73

thought it was shit when i first saw it. still do, can't bring myself too give it a second watch.

Post #: 986
- 15/4/2013 4:52:33 PM   
samzucca

It may have contained some truly awful factors, but it does have some satisfying moments that don't make up for it's atrociousness but still provide some good entertainment.

Post #: 987
Alien Vs Predator Mk. II - 26/4/2013 7:07:48 PM   
Litshttam

Archaeology, E.T. 'gods', real movie footage viewed, crew (of a vessel beginning with 'P') unaware of its mission until arrival, CEO with ulterior motives, heroine dwells on her deceased father, chestburst ending (Ian Whyte the host!)...

< Message edited by Litshttam -- 26/4/2013 7:17:25 PM >

"Now dig on this!"

- Peter Parker

Post #: 988
RE: Prometheus - 6/5/2013 10:25:40 AM   
moviebuff73

Watched this again on DVD the other day. Still shit.

Post #: 989
RE: Prometheus - 12/5/2013 12:44:22 AM   
Ref

Caught this on the tele and truly my reaction was 'meh'. I was bored throughout (like most of the cast it seems) and, like Empire stated in their review, Fassbender is the only plus in this utterly pointless film.

2/5

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to moviebuff73)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Prometheus (2012) Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI