Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Spoilers or what!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Spoilers or what! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:27:53 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Anyone else vaguely amused that Maffew called people retards and instead of editing the post Elab just quoted it?

So I got bored part way through the post - sue me.

Maffew, you've been around long enough to know the rules. Keep that kind of insult off the Board, please.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/5/2012 10:28:36 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 61
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:28:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

*reaching for the popcorn*

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 62
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:29:12 PM   
Jaybee79

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

Look you bunch of fruity numpties - the review said Spoilers Ahead! Do what I did and read nothing but the star rating and the summary at the end if you don't want to read the spoilers that theyclearly fucking warned you of before hand Ian Nathan doesn't owe you an apology for anything, least of all sharing his opinion on a film that it must have been incredibly hard to give an average rating to. I do not understand you people. If it'd got 5 stars you'd being accusing him of taking bribes! I could maybe, MAYBE understand if any of you had seen it, but you haven't. The fact that all sit there heralding this as some kind of affront to you personally or that he is some how wrong is just plain stupid. He gave his opinion, spoilers or no, you didn't like it. Deal with, wait, watch the film, then disagree.

The warning was only added later. First it warned nothing. Then it added in red 'Major Spoiler Warning'. Then it was removed and the whole text sent red. Then 'Spoilers Ahead' were added and the review was edited with the worst spoilers removed. Sadly I just by chance happened to read it before any of this so didn't see it coming.

However I do agree there is no requirement for an apology. Although it would be nice. Especially as they obviously realised they'd done wrong because they've edited the review and added a warning

< Message edited by Jaybee79 -- 30/5/2012 10:31:30 PM >

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 63
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:29:51 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Return to Oz - 3 stars!!!

What the fuck is this? NATHAN YOU IDIOT!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 64
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:30:07 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Anyone else vaguely amused that Maffew called people retards and instead of editing the post Elab just quoted it?

So I got bored part way through the post - sue me.

Some of us read the whole post.

Rawlinsonformod2012

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 65
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:30:46 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

*reaching for the popcorn*

Yes, that is my dick in the bottom of the bucket.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 66
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:30:55 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Return to Oz - 3 stars!!!

What the fuck is this? NATHAN YOU IDIOT!

Yeah, it's clearly a 2 star film.

Rinc's not going to read this thread, right?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 67
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:32:52 PM   
Rgirvan44

I do like how the guy who wrote The Alien Vault is somehow not qualified to judge the merits or failures of the film...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 68
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:32:58 PM   
Deviation

You know what deserves 2 stars rawls?

Your penis.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 69
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:34:19 PM   
elab49

Gentleman, at least keep it to bitching about the review. Not another sex thread. HR Geiger would be baffled by the allusions

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 70
RE: Prometheus - 30/5/2012 10:34:21 PM   
makins

quote:

Famously, none of the Alien movies (discounting one beach scene in the Alien3 workprint) ventured from a soundstage.

actually the atmosphere processor interiors in aliens were shot at acton power station.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 71
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:35:00 PM   
the_driver

Loud noises

Also kind of let down by this.

'I don't carry a gun. I drive' -Drive
'I aim to misbehave' Serenity
Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else' Fight Club

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 72
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:37:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Gentleman, at least keep it to bitching about the review. Not another sex thread. HR Geiger would be baffled by the allusions

I DEZIGNED DEE THREED FOR DA RIDLEY SCOTCH. ITZ SYMBOLIZES DA PENIZ, AND DA VAZGINA BUTZ WITH LOTS OF TEEZH.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 73
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:38:42 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

I DEZIGNED DEE THREED FOR DA RIDLEY SCOTCH. ITZ SYMBOLIZES DA PENIZ, AND DA VAZGINA BUTZ WITH LOTS OF TEEZH.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 74
RE: Was the reviewer listening to Ridley or not? - 30/5/2012 10:39:19 PM   
Gizzer

Apologies.

Yes they did. The review was just more positive than the empire one ( I read all of them back to back and was swept up in the moment!)

This thread is moving so fast that my correction is barely relevant :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fiercehairdo

Guardian gave it 3 stars not 4 as you state. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/may/30/prometheus-review
Get your facts right and don't shoot the messengers.

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 75
RE: Was the reviewer listening to Ridley or not? - 30/5/2012 10:46:02 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gizzer

Apologies.

Yes they did. The review was just more positive than the empire one ( I read all of them back to back and was swept up in the moment!)

This thread is moving so fast that my correction is barely relevant :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fiercehairdo

Guardian gave it 3 stars not 4 as you state. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/may/30/prometheus-review
Get your facts right and don't shoot the messengers.

I think it just died.

edit: its alive! its alive!

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 30/5/2012 10:56:58 PM >

(in reply to Gizzer)
Post #: 76
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 10:48:27 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DickJones

does anybody actually still buy Empire magazine anymore?

i stopped trusting their reviews since they gave the Attack of the Clones 5 stars on its release..then adjusted it to 3 stars a few months later when they realises the rest of the world thought it sucked

............ hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

AOTC was awarded FOUR stars when they reviewed the dvd several months after the films theatrical release.Try and get your facts right if your going to be sarcastic.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''
Post #: 77
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 10:51:24 PM   
directorscut

"Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - 3 stars" - Ian Nathan.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 78
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 11:02:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

Seriously people, he wrote a whole book about Alien. I think he knows what he is talking about here...

Post #: 79
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 11:05:03 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Do you think it's a better or worse than 3 star film? Personally I'd give it 4 as it is most triumphant. 

I want to taste you like yogurt.

Post #: 80
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 11:05:24 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Seriously people, he wrote a whole book about Alien. I think he knows what he is talking about here...

Please refrain from putting reason in this thread, and tell me instead who was the guy who gave Avatar 5 stars and The Pianist 2 stars/

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 81
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 11:06:37 PM   
elab49

It's still his take on the film - and even though fully informed, it won't necessarily prevent it from being coloured by certain expectations, unfair or not.

So perhaps the fact there are a few others in this thread who have actually seem to have also seen it, and that there are quite a few other reservations being expressed, might give those assuming the reviewer is absolutely wrong some pause?

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 82
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 11:06:41 PM   
directorscut

quote:

That makes him LESS trustworthy to write a review as clearly he is obsessed with Alien and he would reject anything in Prometheus that wasn't like Alien.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 83
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 11:09:12 PM   
Jaybee79

I dont think anyone can criticise or praise Ian's rating until they've seen the film itself surely?

Post #: 84
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 11:09:57 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

That makes him LESS trustworthy to write a review as clearly he is obsessed with Alien and he would reject anything in Prometheus that wasn't like Alien.

If he was somehow incapable of seperating the two...

Post #: 85
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 11:10:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaybee79

I dont think anyone can criticise or praise Ian's rating until they've seen the film itself surely?

Welcome to the Empire review threads!

(in reply to Jaybee79)
Post #: 86
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 11:10:48 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

Do you think it's a better or worse than 3 star film? Personally I'd give it 4 as it is most triumphant. 

Anyone who gives it less than 5 stars is a smeghead.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 87
RE: stingy star rating compared to others ive read - 30/5/2012 11:15:57 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

THIS.

I couldn't have put it better!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 88
RE: Alien Vault book by Ian Nathan - 30/5/2012 11:16:10 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: drstockd

i have never commented on this before - but for once i believe in Ian Nathan's review here isnt he the author to the excellent Alien: Vault book, furthermore these same complaints have been coming out of alot of other critical reviews, personally i like to make my own mind up and look forward to see it in the coming days?

That's a reasonable position to take and as such is entirely out of place here. You should try being a bit more mental.

I want to taste you like yogurt.
Post #: 89
RE: Lovely but Empty - 30/5/2012 11:23:25 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dikicon

I heard an interview with Lindelof where he spoke of expectations about the film. Explicitly it can only exact two types of response: it won't meet your expectations or it's as you expected. In essence because of the hype, trailer, twitter ad breaks and teaser TED and Wyland ads it will never surpass your expectations. And that is a core problem with the film, it isn't scary, it isn't tense, it isn't horrifying, but it is beautiful, stylish and impressive. You can't help to be blown away, but you wait so long for anything suspenseful to happen you get tired of waiting. I never thought I'd say this about this film but it's actually quite dull. There are holes in the plot when mashed with the Alien/s world, but you feel you'd be called a pedant for pointing them out, maybe rightly so. However one unforgivable thing to do to this world is to make it boring and that's what Scott has done. Like anything of beauty after a while you want something more than just a pretty view.

Yep,this is the main thing I have gathered from listening and watching many of Ridleys recent interviews.
He seems somewhat obsessed with Camerons Avatar and openly praises it as a 3D game changer.

If I'm going to be blunt I think afer Ridleys viewing of Avatar,he thought " I'm going to do this too" and what better way than to attatch it to a film he himself brought to our screens many moons ago.Marketting wise it made sense and the hype began.

So in short the only reason Ridley has made Prometheus is,not to do with script,its to do with competition against Camerons Avatar.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 30/5/2012 11:24:09 PM >
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Spoilers or what! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI