Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Thin film (spoilers)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Thin film (spoilers) Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 13/6/2012 5:49:01 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: makins

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

I think I'll stick to my dog-eared copy of Giger's Alien, thanks. Just sayin'...

very nice. I have a very treasured but quite battered 1979 softcover copy myself i bought secondhand in the mid 80s from forbidden planet when they were still at their old address just off denmark street in a dirty and cramped but wonderful little shop. they had comics in one store and film and tv stuff in another and i practically lived in the film and tv one for most of my teeage years lol. anyway all the text in the book was in french but it was the only version you could get at that time they were like hens teeth very rare not like now pick them up on amazon for a fiver or whatevr, but i was and am such an alien nerd i had to have it even if i didnt have a clue what the descriptions and text were saying. i bought the hardback titan version years later and even though it was in english it didn't have the same appeal to me as my battered old original, though at least i now knew what giger was saying. anyway i dont think liking and enjoying prometheus and alien is a mutually exclusive thing i believe they compliment each other beautifully , but i see you are a hater and we will never agree so i will just leave it at that i think haha, peace ♥ .

Never make an assumption. Cos when you do, you make an ass out of U and umption.

You cruelly misrepresent me, sirrah. And cut me to the quick. I hate no man or thing. Well, Jeremy Kyle maybe. Indeed, I pride myself on being a positive paragon of virtue and a model of online dignity and restraint, if only comparatively.

I accept that is my own fault however and I beg your humble forgiveness. I fear my most recent capsule comments perhaps haven't made my true feelings regarding the motion picture entertainment that is Sir Ridley Scott's Prometheus clear and as a result yourself and others may entertain the wrong impression of my good self.

For a more... nuanced interpretation of said filmic extravaganza - which, far from "hating" and for all its flaws, I rather enjoyed actually - I do beseech you to seek out my, I hope, balanced review - post #832 on pg 28 of this thread. There I hope you will find I am not quite the swivel-eyed/rabid fanboy you clearly mistake me for.

I'm a lover not a hater and unlike a lot of online fanboys, good, bad or indifferent, I never lose sight of the fact that...

It's Only A Movie!

Thank you for your indulgence.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 13/6/2012 7:13:27 PM >

(in reply to makins)
Post #: 811
RE: Why I loved Prometheus. - 13/6/2012 7:23:57 PM   
chris kilby

The eye-straining lack of paragraphs notwithstanding, I think that's pretty spot on. While it's still ambiguous, I think that is indeed Earth at the start of the movie and that rather monk-like Engineer is essentially Prometheus. The Prometheus of ancient myth who stole "fire" from the gods, created life on Earth and paid a terrible price.

This act of self-sacrifice suggests dissent if not war among the Engineers - the Creators V the Destroyers? - and strongly hints at where a possible Prometheus sequel might go. Now if only the box office returns (and DVD sales) warrant it...
Post #: 812
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 13/6/2012 8:03:51 PM   
makins

quote:

I am not quite the swivel-eyed/rabid fanboy you clearly mistake me for.

au contraire baby, au contraire.

nobody could ever mistake you for a fanboy swivel eyed rabid or otherwise. peace ♥.

< Message edited by makins -- 13/6/2012 8:06:50 PM >

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 813
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 13/6/2012 9:44:09 PM   
Rich Empire

[/quote]

by the way my copy of the prometheus 'art of the film" book arrived yesterday and i would highly recommend anybody with even a vague interest in how the visuals for a production like this are put together to treat yourself to a copy, the artworks are completely stunning.
[/quote]

Yeah, got my copy of Prometheus "Art Of The Film" in the post along with the Soundtrack! Looking forward to it arriving soon.

The Dude abides...

(in reply to makins)
Post #: 814
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 13/6/2012 9:48:04 PM   
chris kilby

Well thank Grud fer that!

I also made some earlier observations about the folly of unrealistically sky-high expectations (The Phantom Menace Syndrome!) and the wisdom of lowering expectations accordingly - post #759 on pg 26.*

Cheers, BTW!

* Clearly this doesn't apply to The Dark Knight Rises which better be goddamn good or I'm gonna get mad. And good, bad or Schumacher, EMPIRE better give TDKR the requisite 5 stars or I'll spontaneously combust all over the forums like all the other fanboys! Capice?

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 13/6/2012 9:50:07 PM >

(in reply to makins)
Post #: 815
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 13/6/2012 9:51:19 PM   
Rich Empire

[/quote]

i read somewhere they shot a scene where david watches weylands dreams in hypersleep and in them he's a young man again sailing on a yacht surrounded by beautiful women but the scene was cut.
[/quote]

Right here...

http://io9.com/prometheus/

The Dude abides...

(in reply to makins)
Post #: 816
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 13/6/2012 10:27:32 PM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E

Alien is my favourite film and I was so disappointed with this utter
turkey of a film I just had to write some thoughts. This is not much of
a review more of a list of all the bad points in this film. Quite
honestly there aren't many good points.

[WARNING - MAJOR SPOILERS]

BASIC FLAWS:

- Not scary at all, a complete lack of tension and suspense. In Alien
the edge of seat suspense was non-stop.

- Awful characters, clichéd sci-fi stereotypes. Too many characters
most of which were just plot devices waiting to die.

- Muddled and confusing storyline. It tried too hard to be an original
concept with deep, meaningful questions about our creators and where we
come from blah blah blah whilst also trying to be a horror film/prequel
to Alien. It failed and couldn't decide what it wanted to be.

Either come up with something completely original that is not connected
to the Alien universe in any way or do a full blown unpretentious Alien
prequel with a direct link between the space jockeys and the eggs/face
huggers/aliens/queen alien etc. There was no need for this awful film
to be connected to the alien universe and it may have slightly improved
had it not.

OTHER FLAWS:

- Bad dialogue. 'You wanna get laid?' scene - Absolutely no need for
this scene between vickers and janek. Added nothing.

Also unfunny banter between two unnecessary co-pilots.

David talking to big white engineer in alien speak - probably one of
the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen, space jockey
then rips his head of for no reason. Brilliant! Not. Tons of other
examples I can't be bothered to list.

- Space Jockeys looked awful. Turns out they were just wearing suits
and are actually just big bald pumped up white guys who like to throw
people about. Giger must be laughing his head off.

- Score. Contributed nothing to the film. Created no tension
whatsoever.

- Turns out Weyland is still alive and onboard the ship. It's supposed
to be a shock twist but no one cares. Guy Pearce is cast as Weyland and
wears the worst make up known to man.

- hated the way most the crew didn't no what the mission was until they
got there. Unrealistic and downright bad writing.

And finally to sum up...

Stupid black goo spills out of stupid vases. Stupid character gets
infected with stupid black goo because stupid android put it in his
stupid drink. Stupid character makes love with stupid Ripley wannabe.
Stupid character gets torched and dies. Stupid Ripley wannabe becomes
pregnant. Stupid Ripley wannabe cuts out stupid baby squid from her
tummy tum tum. Stupid squid turns into stupid giant squid which
impregnates stupid big bald white space jockey. Stupid alien rips its
way out of stupid space jockey's chest. Stupid film ends. Stupid film
makes no sense.

Best summary I've read - spot on.

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"
Post #: 817
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 13/6/2012 11:28:48 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Alien is my favourite film and I was so disappointed with this utter
turkey of a film I just had to write some thoughts. This is not much of
a review more of a list of all the bad points in this film. Quite
honestly there aren't many good points.

[WARNING - MAJOR SPOILERS]

BASIC FLAWS:

- Not scary at all, a complete lack of tension and suspense. In Alien
the edge of seat suspense was non-stop.

- Awful characters, clichéd sci-fi stereotypes. Too many characters
most of which were just plot devices waiting to die.

- Muddled and confusing storyline. It tried too hard to be an original
concept with deep, meaningful questions about our creators and where we
come from blah blah blah whilst also trying to be a horror film/prequel
to Alien. It failed and couldn't decide what it wanted to be.

Either come up with something completely original that is not connected
to the Alien universe in any way or do a full blown unpretentious Alien
prequel with a direct link between the space jockeys and the eggs/face
huggers/aliens/queen alien etc. There was no need for this awful film
to be connected to the alien universe and it may have slightly improved
had it not.

OTHER FLAWS:

- Bad dialogue. 'You wanna get laid?' scene - Absolutely no need for
this scene between vickers and janek. Added nothing.

Also unfunny banter between two unnecessary co-pilots.

David talking to big white engineer in alien speak - probably one of
the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen, space jockey
then rips his head of for no reason. Brilliant! Not. Tons of other
examples I can't be bothered to list.

- Space Jockeys looked awful. Turns out they were just wearing suits
and are actually just big bald pumped up white guys who like to throw
people about. Giger must be laughing his head off.

- Score. Contributed nothing to the film. Created no tension
whatsoever.

- Turns out Weyland is still alive and onboard the ship. It's supposed
to be a shock twist but no one cares. Guy Pearce is cast as Weyland and
wears the worst make up known to man.

- hated the way most the crew didn't no what the mission was until they
got there. Unrealistic and downright bad writing.

And finally to sum up...

makes no sense.

So glad you liked it.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.
Post #: 818
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 12:34:55 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauljthomas

quote:

quote:

makes no sense.

I think I'm detecting a theme here.

To me, that is the best & most accurate review I have seen so far. Prometheus is a bland film & basically, the trailer pretty much tells us everything about the film.

Not a tad... repetitive at all?

You know, it strikes me that a lot of the criticism/fanboy outrage currently being levelled at Prometheus could just as easily be levelled at Alien and probably would have been had there been an internet back in '79:

stupid ship lands on stupid planet where it's always dark. Stupid crew of stupid cardboard cutouts (albeit cardboard cutouts added extra dimension by the excellent cast of actors playing them) decide to investigate. Stupid character descends into bowels of stupid big alien derelict with... women's bits for doors and stupid, dated laser show belonging to now-defunct 70s rock group. Stupid character then sticks his stupid face into alien egg and deservedly (but not unexpectedly) gets a Facehugger in the mush for his trouble. Only non-stupid character in entire film who rightly refuses to let stupid infected character back onboard the stupid ship is overridden by other stupid characters and a character subsequently revealed to be not as stupid (or human) as he at first appears. Stupid infected character wakes from coma and gets one helluva surprise at the stupid dinner table. Remaining stupid characters stupidly decide to split up and find alien gatecrasher which so rudely interrupted dinner. Stupid characters persist with this suicidally stupid strategy even after the most conspicuously stupid character is killed after wandering off on his own to find stupid cat he stupidly let escape in the first place - obviously stupid people in the stupid future no longer watch stupid horror movies. And the stupid captain who stupidly thinks climbing into a confined space with the now HUGE, non-stupid alien dickhead (literally) with two stupid sets of stupid teeth is somehow a good idea. Other stupid characters soon follow stupid suit - including stupid robot who stupidly thinks choking someone with a rolled-up scud mag is a practical method of dispatching them. Stupid last survivor (who it turns out is more stupid than seemed at first) stupidly assumes that anything-but-stupid alien goes up with her self-destructing ship. Stupidly strips down to her undies (which is nice) before stupid final battle with stupid alien which stupidly reveals itself to be just a stupid guy in a stupid suit before getting blasted out of the stupid goddamn airlock. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The End.

Stupid film is just a stupid B-movie anyway. A stupid rip-off of the stupid It! The Terror From Beyond Space with a stupid A budget and A+ cast. Which, incidentally, is what a lot of the stupid, shortsighted critics said about stupid Alien at the stupid time. (Unsurprisingly, the stupid fanboy magazines like stupid Starburst hated it. Just not good enough, you see - stupid, impossible-to-please fans are never happy, it seems.) Before stupid Alien stupidly endured to become a stupid classic. Like stupid Prometheus...?

(Don't be stupid!)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 14/6/2012 1:33:12 PM >

(in reply to pauljthomas)
Post #: 819
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 1:36:42 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

makes no sense.

To me, that is the best & most accurate review I have seen so far. Prometheus is a bland film & basically, the trailer pretty much tells us everything about the film.

You know, it strikes me that a lot of the criticism/fanboy outrage currently being levelled at Prometheus could just as easily be levelled at Alien and probably would have been had there been an internet back in '79: stupid ship lands on stupid planet where it's always dark. Stupid crew of stupid cardboard cutouts (albeit cardboard cutouts added extra dimension by the excellent cast of actors playing them) decide to investigate. Stupid character descends into bowels of stupid big alien derelict with... women's bits for doors and stupid, dated laser show belonging to now-defunct 70s rock group. Stupid character then sticks his stupid face into alien egg and deservedly (but not unexpectedly) gets a Facehugger in the mush for his trouble. Only non-stupid character in entire film who rightly refuses to let stupid infected character back onboard the stupid ship is overridden by other stupid characters and a character subsequently revealed to be not as stupid (or human) as he at first appears. Stupid infected character wakes from coma and gets one helluva surprise at the stupid dinner table. Remaining stupid characters stupidly decide to split up and find alien gatecrasher which so rudely interrupted dinner. Stupid characters persist with this suicidally stupid strategy even after the most conspicuously stupid character is killed after wandering off on his own to find stupid cat he stupidly let escape in the first place - obviously stupid people in the stupid future no longer watch stupid horror movies. And the stupid captain who stupidly thinks climbing into a confined space with the now HUGE, non-stupid alien dickhead (literally) with two stupid sets of stupid teeth is somehow a good idea. Other stupid characters soon follow stupid suit - including stupid robot who stupidly thinks choking someone with a rolled-up scud mag is a practical method of dispatching them. Stupid last survivor (who it turns out is more stupid than seemed at first) stupidly assumes that anything-but-stupid alien goes up with her self-destructing ship. Stupidly strips down to her undies (which is nice) before stupid final battle with stupid alien which stupidly reveals itself to be just a stupid guy in a stupid suit before getting blasted out of the stupid goddamn airlock. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The End.

Stupid film is just a stupid B-movie anyway. A stupid rip-off of the stupid It! The Terror From Beyond Space with a stupid A budget and A+ cast. Which, incidentally, is what a lot of the stupid, shortsighted critics said about stupid Alien at the stupid time. (Unsurprisingly, the stupid fanboy magazines like stupid Starburst hated it. Just not good enough, you see - stupid, impossible-to-please fans are never happy, it seems.) Before stupid Alien stupidly endured to become a stupid classic. Like stupid Prometheus...?

(Don't be stupid!)

Errrr no, Prometheus doesn't deserve to be even mentioned with the same respect as Alien................that's just stupid.
Every so often a film comes out and as soon as you start to watch it you know you are in the presence of greatness......
Jaws, Pulp Fiction, Star Wars, The Godfather etc
Alien falls into that catergory, the first time you see it, the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, this is not the case with Prometheus, sorry its just not.

< Message edited by Happy Shrapnel -- 14/6/2012 1:40:13 PM >

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

Post #: 820
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 1:49:42 PM   
bennyboy1971

Alien's effect are really laughable now. Reminds me of my old ZX Spectrum.

< Message edited by bennyboy1971 -- 14/6/2012 1:54:09 PM >

(in reply to Happy Shrapnel)
Post #: 821
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 1:50:33 PM   
bennyboy1971

I went to see Prometheus a week ago.

Its still in my head.

I really enjoyed it and would like to see it again.

I cant say that about many mainstream films.

Message ends.

Post #: 822
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 1:50:39 PM   
bennyboy1971

I went to see Prometheus a week ago.

Its still in my head.

I really enjoyed it and would like to see it again.

I cant say that about many mainstream films.

Message ends.

Post #: 823
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 1:54:57 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

quote:

ORIGINAL: bennyboy1971

Alien's effect are really laughable now.

As oppossed to the amount of cheap lazy CGI effects we have now ?
Yeah, they really are.

Happy Trails

(in reply to bennyboy1971)
Post #: 824
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 2:00:06 PM   
bennyboy1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: Happy Shrapnel

quote:

Alien's effect are really laughable now.

As oppossed to the amount of cheap lazy CGI effects we have now ?
Yeah, they really are.

Have you watched Alien lately? Come on man.

Yeah, ok the character work is cool, but its got 1970s written through it like a stick of rock.

Space films date quicker than others.

Post #: 825
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 2:07:24 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

No, never seen it.

I watched it the night after I saw Prom and sorry, your wrong.
Alien has a unique quality in that its a movie that never seems to age, including the effects.

< Message edited by Happy Shrapnel -- 14/6/2012 2:08:22 PM >

Happy Trails

Post #: 826
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 2:11:34 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

makes no sense.

You know, it strikes me that a lot of the criticism/fanboy outrage currently being levelled at Prometheus could just as easily be levelled at Alien and probably would have been had there been an internet back in '79: stupid ship lands on stupid planet where it's always dark. Stupid crew of stupid cardboard cutouts (albeit cardboard cutouts added extra dimension by the excellent cast of actors playing them) decide to investigate. Stupid character descends into bowels of stupid big alien derelict with... women's bits for doors and stupid, dated laser show belonging to now-defunct 70s rock group. Stupid character then sticks his stupid face into alien egg and deservedly (but not unexpectedly) gets a Facehugger in the mush for his trouble. Only non-stupid character in entire film who rightly refuses to let stupid infected character back onboard the stupid ship is overridden by other stupid characters and a character subsequently revealed to be not as stupid (or human) as he at first appears. Stupid infected character wakes from coma and gets one helluva surprise at the stupid dinner table. Remaining stupid characters stupidly decide to split up and find alien gatecrasher which so rudely interrupted dinner. Stupid characters persist with this suicidally stupid strategy even after the most conspicuously stupid character is killed after wandering off on his own to find stupid cat he stupidly let escape in the first place - obviously stupid people in the stupid future no longer watch stupid horror movies. And the stupid captain who stupidly thinks climbing into a confined space with the now HUGE, non-stupid alien dickhead (literally) with two stupid sets of stupid teeth is somehow a good idea. Other stupid characters soon follow stupid suit - including stupid robot who stupidly thinks choking someone with a rolled-up scud mag is a practical method of dispatching them. Stupid last survivor (who it turns out is more stupid than seemed at first) stupidly assumes that anything-but-stupid alien goes up with her self-destructing ship. Stupidly strips down to her undies (which is nice) before stupid final battle with stupid alien which stupidly reveals itself to be just a stupid guy in a stupid suit before getting blasted out of the stupid goddamn airlock. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The End.

(Don't be stupid!)

Errrr no, Prometheus doesn't deserve to be even mentioned with the same respect as Alien................that's just stupid.
Every so often a film comes out and as soon as you start to watch it you know you are in the presence of greatness......
Jaws, Pulp Fiction, Star Wars, The Godfather etc
Alien falls into that catergory, the first time you see it, the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, this is not the case with Prometheus, sorry its just not.

No need to apologise, but I think it's a bit early to tell one way or t'other, don't you? Prometheus hasn't been out a fortnight yet.

Despite what you say, no film has ever been met with universal acclaim upon its release. Plenty of critics at the time didn't think they were in "the presence of greatness" when first viewing instant classics like Jaws, Pulp Fiction, Star Wars, The Godfather etc. Far from it. Yes, even Alien. It's always posterity which decides these things in the end - only the good stuff endures. And our initial knee-jerk responses to things, overwhelmingly positive or negative, don''t always last. (I saw Face/Off again recently and honestly wondered what I saw in it first time round. Just as EMPIRE has dissed Braveheart when it was their Film of the Year in 1995!) "Greatness" is entirely subjective anyway. These things always are - we all know what opinions are like...

Besides, I think you're missing my point somewhat - don't worry, I get that a lot. I think what's stupid (or at least very silly - I'm not big on melodramatic or inflammatory tabloid speak) is online fanboys overreacting like this when - hey! - It's Only A Movie! Also, sacrilege it may be, but it's kinda hard to discuss Prometheus without invoking Alien whether it "deserves" to be mentioned in the same breath or not. So if it isn't too much bother, can we please stop saying silly things like that?

No movie can withstand the level of obsessive, anally retentive scrutiny which is routinely applied by uptight fanboys with too much to prove and waaay too much time on their hands on forums like this. No work of fiction can. Why doesn't Hamlet exact revenge for the murder of his father straight away? Why do Dickens' novels always hinge on the most outrageous coincidences and happenstance which would get laughed off the screen if they occurred on Eastenders? If it was so "unusual" for replicants to risk returning to Earth then how come there was an entire division of the LAPD dedicated to hunting them down? How come the "armed and fully operational" second Death Star couldn't generate its own shields? And how come no-one in Gotham City seems to realise that either Batman has a HUGE quasi-military industrial organisation behind him, is the richest guy in the city, or both?

I could play these tedious, nitpicking/petty point-scoring games all day too. But I choose not to cos... well, where's the fun in that? I'll tell you though, Dickens and Shakespeare were lucky they didn't have ye olde internet back in their day!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 14/6/2012 4:48:54 PM >

Post #: 827
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 2:22:15 PM   
bennyboy1971

Macbeth - wrst most gay film ev-ah dude! Totally sux. Them witches woz crap and wot woz all dat dagger shit wiv blud but you neva see them do the stabbings? No respect for ya Shakespeare bruv.

Post #: 828
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 2:46:12 PM   
bennyboy1971

quote:

No, never seen it.

I watched it the night after I saw Prom and sorry, your wrong.
Alien has a unique quality in that its a movie that never seems to age, including the effects.

Um, ok, if you say so.,....

[makes sound of dial up modem and exits through sliding cardboard door]

Post #: 829
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 3:19:39 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

Nah, now your getting mixed up with Star Trek.

Happy Trails

Post #: 830
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 4:57:35 PM   
chris kilby

I thought Prometheus was a bit Star Trek-y actually. The crew of the Enterprise used to run into godlike alien menaces every other week - Q, V'ger and didn't the TOS-ers (as I affectionately call them) encounter an entire planet full of ancient Greek gods once?

And then there was The Shat's now-legendary face-off with "God" Himself - "For God's sake, Jim - you don't ask The Almighty for his ID!" Pure comedy gold.

Post #: 831
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 5:00:26 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Macbeth - wrst most gay film ev-ah dude! Totally sux. Them witches woz crap and wot woz all dat dagger shit wiv blud but you neva see them do the stabbings? No respect for ya Shakespeare bruv.

You including Predator, Commando and Road House in that assessment...?

Post #: 832
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 8:29:15 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

You know, it strikes me that a lot of the criticism/fanboy outrage currently being levelled at Prometheus could just as easily be levelled at Alien and probably would have been had there been an internet back in '79:

There was an internet back in '79. It was called going down the pub...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 833
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 14/6/2012 8:58:40 PM   
chris kilby

Nah, the pub's far more civilised. Even the dodgy boozers I frequent. Y'see I've been trying to introduce something I modestly call Kilby's Law across the internet - never say anything to or about anyone online you wouldn't be prepared to say to their faces down the boozer if they had a glass in their hand!

I honestly think it would revolutionise (and civilise) online debate if widely adopted.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 834
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 15/6/2012 12:13:55 AM   
Deviation

I THOUGHT IT WAS VERY GOOD SCREW YA HATERZ

(the only serious bit of this statement is that I liked it a lot)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 835
RE: Thin film (spoilers) - 15/6/2012 3:56:52 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

There was an internet back in '79. It was called going down the pub...

Al Gore invented the pub, true story.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 836
RE: 20th Century Fox's Fault - 16/6/2012 12:12:42 AM   
chris kilby

I maybe wouldn't bet on that if I were you. While I don't doubt a longer "Director's Cut" would be an improvement, I don't see how it would be radically different. Good, bad or indifferent, Prometheus is what it is.

At least we're all talking about it which has gotta be a good sign. Relatively normal people were talking to me about it at work today and while they had mixed feelings they were still engaging with it in a way that was unusual, I thought - as my work's resident space cadet, people wanted to know what I made of it! Even people who don't like Prometheus are talking about it. So whether it makes a lot of money or not in the immediate short term I think this is a movie which has legs.

And get this. I was speculating about the significance of that Weyland ad' at the tail end of the credits and the significance of that date - 10/12/12 was it? While I thought it was probably just the date Prometheus is released on disc - October 12th 2012, someone speculated thus: what if Ridley Scott has pulled a serious fast one and actually shot two films back-to-back and October 12th is when Prometheus II's imminent release is announced...?

I think this is pretty unlikely. But you gotta admit, it would be one helluva coup in the internet age of wall-to-wall spoilers if Scott shot an entire movie under the radar as it were.

What do you guys think?

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 16/6/2012 12:13:58 AM >
Post #: 837
RE: 20th Century Fox's Fault - 16/6/2012 1:03:37 AM   
welshleon

Got to see this film at the B'ham IMAX last night and I have to say that if you're right about there being a secret 'prequel-sequel' coming out later this year, it better be a damn sight better than this one...

This film is a load of old, admittedly good-looking but utterly nonsensical bollocks!

Put THAT tagline on your one-shite...sorry...one-sheet Mr Scott.

I can't be bothered to go into lots of detail as to why I personally feel this movie just doesn't work. On the plus side, it is very easy on the eye and looked great on an IMAX screen in 3-D but when the lights went up and I actually thought about what I'd just seen - that's when my issues rushed in.

No matter what some forumites may say about people hating the original Alien on release (only to realise that it was a classic sci-fi horror film later on) , this film will never rise to greatness because it just isn't good enough. Plot, characterisation and dialogue were all found wanting.

After this fiasco, The Dark Knight Rises better live up to the hype or I'm going to start 'Following' Christopher Nolan around whispering threats of violence. If he doesn't deliver the goods he'll be waking up with Ridley Scott's severed head in his bed...

"Those aren't pillows!"

"I know kung fu"

"Stop pointing that gun at my dad!"

Post #: 838
RE: 20th Century Fox's Fault - 16/6/2012 10:13:00 AM   
jonson

Saw it again on Wednesday in 2D, which is miles betterr than the 3D IMO.
I enjoyed it more second time around to be honest, I would give it a high 3 or low 4, but hey, let's just say I would give it 7 out of 10.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to welshleon)
Post #: 839
RE: 20th Century Fox's Fault - 16/6/2012 11:37:29 AM   
gordonsalive

The date refers to a Weyland website whatis101112.com Take a look, quite interesting

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Thin film (spoilers) Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI