Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:00:33 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

LMAO, not even two pages and we've got mentions of Attack of the Clones, people feeling betrayed by reviews, personal abuse against the reviewer and the idea of reviews being proved wrong.

This thread will be awesome.

You reckon we'll get an 'it's not meant to be Shakespeare!' or is that just reserved for superhero films?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 31
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:00:37 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Total Film gave it a far more favourable review - 4 Stars, i'm packing my stuff and moving over there!

Definitely implies that Empire may have been stringent rather than generous, but either way I think a lot of Ridley Scott's output has been fairly average over the last decade hasn't it?

Hey ho, bring on the Blade Runner sequel eh?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 32
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:00:58 PM   
Jaybee79

quote:

LMAO, not even two pages and we've got mentions of Attack of the Clones, people feeling betrayed by reviews, personal abuse against the reviewer and the idea of reviews being proved wrong.

I do think people like myself who felt the review contained way too many spoilers have a valid point. That's sort of proved by the fact empire has since edited some of the spoilers out of the review and placed a warning at the top.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 33
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:02:59 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaybee79

quote:

I do think people like myself who felt the review contained way too many spoilers have a valid point. That's sort of proved by the fact empire has since edited some of the spoilers out of the review and placed a warning at the top.

I didn't mention the spoilers.

quote:

You reckon we'll get an 'it's not meant to be Shakespeare!' or is that just reserved for superhero films?

I hope so. I'm also holding out for references to Citizen Kane and punishing good film-making.

(in reply to Jaybee79)
Post #: 34
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:03:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

If this sucker isn't five pages by midnight something is wrong...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Jaybee79)
Post #: 35
Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:03:11 PM   
elab49

It's certainly a valid point - but then, I never read the reviews because there will always be something. Empire have responded with respect to spoilers generally in a thread in Empire Online before, but the quick edit here does seem to suggest some line was crossed.

I'm wondering if the review went up quicker than expected as embargos seem to have been broken elsewhere?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/5/2012 10:04:05 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Jaybee79)
Post #: 36
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:04:32 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

We need some of that Drooch goodness in this thread.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 37
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:05:33 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

We need some of that Drooch goodness in this thread.

You think maybe if we say Drooch's name five times he'll appear?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 38
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:06:17 PM   
Rgirvan44

Somewhere out there, a tingle goes down PA's back....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 39
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:07:23 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

He's probably like most of the other mods, weeping and hugging himself in A51, too scared to venture into the thread.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 40
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:09:33 PM   
clownfoot

I recall Alien:Resurrection getting the same kind of hype prior to the underwhelming three star review Empire gave that back in the day. And that was being generous what with the fucking Alien hybrid piece of shit thingy-bob right at the end. So, on the basis of history repeating itself, Prometheus is going to be much worse than any of us first thought...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:10:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

He's probably like most of the other mods, weeping and hugging himself in A51, too scared to venture into the thread.

Wait until everyone has seen it....

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 42
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:11:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

I recall Alien:Resurrection getting the same kind of hype prior to the underwhelming three star review Empire gave that back in the day. And that was being generous what with the fucking Alien hybrid piece of shit thingy-bob right at the end. So, on the basis of history repeating itself, Prometheus is going to be much worse than any of us first thought...

Cast iron math!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 43
RE: Was the reviewer listening to Ridley or not? - 30/5/2012 10:12:14 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gizzer

For the last few months Ridley Scott has been going to great pains to say that this film shares DNA with Alien but is actually about the larger questions in the universe - Where do we come from, why are we here? What is the space jockey's story. It sounds like the film answered all of that, but the reviewer just wanted to see Alien 2.0, which is exactly what every media snippet has told us we won't be seeing!

I don't believe in the follow-like-sheep scenario to reviews, but when Total Film, Guardian online and The Telegraph all give it four stars (when normally its very unusual for them all to agree) I have to think that the empire reviewer has just panicked. Especially if their Tweets are to be believed and it's essentially a rush review because they didn't like the firsts draft...

I look forward to seeing the film with a more open mind.

Agree with that.
Ian Nathan generally just wanted to see the same Alien rehashed story but "modern".
He still makes some valid points though.
Post #: 44
RE: Was the reviewer listening to Ridley or not? - 30/5/2012 10:12:40 PM   
elab49

quote:

For the last few months Ridley Scott has been going to great pains to say that this film shares DNA with Alien but is actually about the larger questions in the universe - Where do we come from, why are we here? What is the space jockey's story. It sounds like the film answered all of that, but the reviewer just wanted to see Alien 2.0, which is exactly what every media snippet has told us we won't be seeing!

I don't believe in the follow-like-sheep scenario to reviews, but when Total Film, Guardian online and The Telegraph all give it four stars (when normally its very unusual for them all to agree) I have to think that the empire reviewer has just panicked. Especially if their Tweets are to be believed and it's essentially a rush review because they didn't like the firsts draft...

Peter Bradshaw gave it 3 stars, not 4. Does that mean his opinion is going to get slammed too?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 45
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:12:58 PM   
Woger

quote:

If this sucker isn't five pages by midnight something is wrong...

If not we'll just nuke it from orbit.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 46
RE: Was the reviewer listening to Ridley or not? - 30/5/2012 10:13:49 PM   
UTB

quote:

I don't believe in the follow-like-sheep scenario to reviews, but when Total Film, Guardian online and The Telegraph all give it four stars (when normally its very unusual for them all to agree) I have to think that the empire reviewer has just panicked.

Disagreeing with subjectivity doesn't count as an open mind, I'm afraid. You WANT this to be 4 stars. You want it so bad it hurts like watching A Good Year followed by Black Rain.
Post #: 47
RE: Was the reviewer listening to Ridley or not? - 30/5/2012 10:15:10 PM   
fiercehairdo

quote:

Guardian gave it 3 stars not 4 as you state. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/may/30/prometheus-review
Get your facts right and don't shoot the messengers.
Post #: 48
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:15:18 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

Cast iron math!

You should have seen my footy predictions at the beginning of last season. Newcastle were supposed to have been relegated.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 49
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:16:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

Remember when Nathan reviewed The Fountain on DVD?

Amazing times -

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1356115

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 30/5/2012 10:17:16 PM >

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 50
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:17:50 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cast iron math!

You should have seen my footy predictions at the beginning of last season. Newcastle were supposed to have been relegated.

Oi!

quote:

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 51
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:19:15 PM   
UTB

quote:

Amazing times -

Pfft. 4 pages long? Were you on holiday or something?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 52
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:21:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

Amazing times -

Pfft. 4 pages long? Were you on holiday or something?

Was a young pup back in those days. Untested in the field of battle.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 53
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:21:29 PM   
MonsterCat

The Fountain was utter bollocks.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 54
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:22:58 PM   
maffew

Look you bunch of fruity numpties - the review said Spoilers Ahead! Do what I did and read nothing but the star rating and the summary at the end if you don't want to read the spoilers that theyclearly fucking warned you of before hand Ian Nathan doesn't owe you an apology for anything, least of all sharing his opinion on a film that it must have been incredibly hard to give an average rating to. I do not understand you people. If it'd got 5 stars you'd being accusing him of taking bribes! I could maybe, MAYBE understand if any of you had seen it, but you haven't. The fact that all sit there heralding this as some kind of affront to you personally or that he is some how wrong is just plain stupid. He gave his opinion, spoilers or no, you didn't like it. Deal with, wait, watch the film, then disagree.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/5/2012 10:27:03 PM >

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 55
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:24:07 PM   
Whistler

It does seem funny that Empire have been totally fapping over this for ages, then they give it 3 stars. But hey, if they didn't think it was all that then fair enough. I'm still just as excited about it - there are plenty of Empire reviews I disagree with.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 56
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:24:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 57
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:24:41 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

Look you bunch of fruity numpties - the review said Spoilers Ahead! Do what I did and read nothing but the star rating and the summary at the end if you don't want to read the spoilers that theyclearly fucking warned you of before hand Ian Nathan doesn't owe you an apology for anything, least of all sharing his opinion on a film that it must have been incredibly hard to give an average rating to. I do not understand you people. If it'd got 5 stars you'd being accusing him of taking bribes! I could maybe, MAYBE understand if any of you had seen it, but you haven't. The fact that all sit there heralding this as some kind of affront to you personally or that he is some how wrong is just plain stupid. He gave his opinion, spoilers or no, you didn't like it. Deal with, wait, watch the film, then disagree.

I think the spoiler warning was a later edit Maffew - the early posts were before it appearned.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/5/2012 10:27:16 PM >

quote:

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 58
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:27:07 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

Uhm,.. when the review was originally posted, it didn't have the spoiler warning. That's been tagged on since. Dumb-ass...

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 59
RE: Prometheus Review - 30/5/2012 10:27:41 PM   
directorscut

Looking through Nathan's reviews on rottentomatoes it's clear he's dropped more than a few clangers in the past.

Shawshank Redemption - 5 stars
Public Enemies - 5 stars

Transformers - 4 stars

Rocky IV - 2 stars?!

Return to Oz - 3 stars!!!

If Return to Oz is his idea of a three star film - bring on Prometheus baby!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI