Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Prometheus

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Prometheus Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Prometheus - 30/5/2012 9:07:42 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:11:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

There's a storm coming...

To the mods - good luck and god bless!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 2
Brace for impact! - 30/5/2012 9:14:12 PM   
Scruffybobby

this is going to be - interesting...

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: Brace for impact! - 30/5/2012 9:17:49 PM  1 votes
UTB

Are we aloud to use 'from the director of A Good Year' again now?

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 4
RE: Goddamn it! - 30/5/2012 9:18:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: ingloriouslanda

I knew this was gonna happen, you hype and you hype a movie to the point of making us believing its some sort of masterpiece then you hit us with a 3 star review.

Congrats!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 5
RE: Brace for impact! - 30/5/2012 9:19:22 PM   
Cool Breeze

Annnnddd... let the cries of '' HOW CAN YOU GIVE IT A LESSER RATING THAN ATTACK OF THE CLONES !!!! '' begin!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 6
RE: Not surprised... - 30/5/2012 9:21:11 PM   
Jaybee79

I have to admit, I don't take any issue with the rating, but I don't think I've ever read an empire review that sounds so spoilerish. Maybe I'm mistaken and a lot of the stuff stated is revealed in the first ten minutes but I doubt it. I admit Empire, I do feel this review is very substandard (only on the grounds of what seems to be a lot spoilers).
Post #: 7
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:23:24 PM   
mattdavies86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

They have my sympathies. I recall causing some problems a few years ago when I wrote a rather unconsidered response to Damon Wise's 4 star review of Indy 4. He was wrong by the way.

Having read Ian's excellent Alien Vault, he's clearly very passionate about all things Alien, so I imagine it pains him to give it 3 stars (by no means a disaster, but clearly not was hoped), but it's always good to see reviewers taking a step back and see the faults in the final product (unlike Mr Hewitt's classic 5 star review of Attack of the Clones, which I'm sure he fails to go a day without someone mentioning it).

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 8
RE: Prometheus - 30/5/2012 9:24:21 PM   
Scruffybobby

How many pages will this thread be be by the time the film opens at midnight Friday? Any one want to open a book?

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams
Post #: 9
RE: Brace for impact! - 30/5/2012 9:25:41 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Annnnddd... let the cries of '' HOW CAN YOU GIVE IT A LESSER RATING THAN ATTACK OF THE CLONES !!!! '' begin!

Jason X is my go to film when complaining.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 10
RE: Prometheus - 30/5/2012 9:25:57 PM   
Jaybee79

Well. At least empire have placed a warning on it now. Bit too late for me I'm afraid but hopefully others will be prewarned.

Post #: 11
RE: Prometheus - 30/5/2012 9:27:10 PM   
Col. Kurtz

Empire seems to have added a Spoiler warning header at the beginning of the review, bit late now!

Post #: 12
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:28:01 PM   
fiercehairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattdavies86

quote:

They have my sympathies. I recall causing some problems a few years ago when I wrote a rather unconsidered response to Damon Wise's 4 star review of Indy 4. He was wrong by the way.

Having read Ian's excellent Alien Vault, he's clearly very passionate about all things Alien, so I imagine it pains him to give it 3 stars (by no means a disaster, but clearly not was hoped), but it's always good to see reviewers taking a step back and see the faults in the final product (unlike Mr Hewitt's classic 5 star review of Attack of the Clones, which I'm sure he fails to go a day without someone mentioning it).

Indeed. I have to say I admire the apparent objectivity here. Empire too often in the past allowed it's reviews to slavishly follow the hype machine. No one could accuse them of that here, thankfully. Doing exactly what a good review should - cut through the hype and advertising to give an honest clear eyed assessment of the movie.

(in reply to mattdavies86)
Post #: 13
RE: Prometheus - 30/5/2012 9:28:35 PM   
Nexus Wookie

What a load of shit!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/
Post #: 14
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:30:09 PM   
fiercehairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: fiercehairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattdavies86

quote:

Indeed. I have to say I admire the apparent objectivity here. Empire too often in the past allowed it's reviews to slavishly follow the hype machine. No one could accuse them of that here, thankfully. Doing exactly what a good review should - cut through the hype and advertising to give an honest clear eyed assessment of the movie.

Although it has to be admitted they were one of the main organs of the aforementioned hype machine...

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 15
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:31:30 PM   
Jaybee79

Well the warning has now gone but the text is all red :D

Post #: 16
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:32:39 PM   
elab49

That's not relevant to the review of the final film, though. You can be tremendously excited about a forthcoming film - doesn't make the film itself any better.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 17
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:33:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

That's not relevant to the review of the final film, though. You can be tremendously excited about a forthcoming film - doesn't make the film itself any better.

ELAB HELP ME!

24 HOURS TO GO AND THIS HAPPENS!!!!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:39:09 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

ELAB HELP ME!

24 HOURS TO GO AND THIS HAPPENS!!!!

It is kind of baffling. If Empire give a high rating, they're in paid thrall to the studios. If they give a lower rating, they're guilty of participating in the hype.

Reviewing seems to be a pretty thankless occupation IMO.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 19
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:41:57 PM   
Judge

Well that's underwhelming. Was sure it was going to be great. Even more disappointing due to the fact that the review clearly reads like a two star review. Not to mention the spoilers.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:44:55 PM   
Jaybee79

Well. It looks like it has been edited now to remove the worst spoilers. I really am very disappointed they were there in the first place. Has ruined the film somewhat for me. Going to be wary of reading an empire review again for fear of being spoiled :( To clarify what I said earlier. I have no issue with the review itself or the score. Just the spoilers. Caught me completely off guard

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 21
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 9:49:06 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

"For all the CGI grandiosity, there is a flatness to the mood. Prometheus is strangely impatient, irritable, rushing its set-ups and squandering drama."

I whole heartedly agree with these unfortunetly.
Having witnessed a minor 10 minute scene preview a week back I got this exact feeling.
At the time I thought it was still in it final stages of tweeking,but it wasnt,it sounds like it was the final product.
The 10 minute scene just didnt flow,and it looks like the same flatness is continual throughout the whole film.

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 22
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 9:51:02 PM   
directorscut

Ian Nathan - what does he know?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.
Post #: 23
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 9:54:56 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Total Film gave it a far more favourable review - 4 Stars, i'm packing my stuff and moving over there!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 24
RE: Consistency in your reviews - 30/5/2012 9:56:34 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: andrewtrotter

First of all - the unprofessional approach of not having a 'spoiler warning' in your review. You made a mistake and tried to cover it up by putting it up after twenty past nine. Secondly - In the last 4 years your reviews have lacked consistency and in a lot of cases been proven wrong. If Prometheus turns out to be class - ill never believe in your reviews again.

Who asked you to believe in them? I just read 'em, meself.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.
Post #: 25
RE: Consistency in your reviews - 30/5/2012 9:57:03 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: andrewtrotter

First of all - the unprofessional approach of not having a 'spoiler warning' in your review. You made a mistake and tried to cover it up by putting it up after twenty past nine. Secondly - In the last 4 years your reviews have lacked consistency and in a lot of cases been proven wrong. If Prometheus turns out to be class - ill never believe in your reviews again.

Different reviewers.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot
Post #: 26
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 9:57:44 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Ian Nathan - what does he know?

Hopefully by tomorrow - not a lot!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 27
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 9:58:22 PM   
rawlinson

LMAO, not even two pages and we've got mentions of Attack of the Clones, people feeling betrayed by reviews, personal abuse against the reviewer and the idea of reviews being proved wrong.

This thread will be awesome.
Post #: 28
RE: Spoilers or what! - 30/5/2012 10:00:01 PM   
Col. Kurtz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaybee79

Well. It looks like it has been edited now to remove the worst spoilers. I really am very disappointed they were there in the first place. Has ruined the film somewhat for me. Going to be wary of reading an empire review again for fear of being spoiled :( To clarify what I said earlier. I have no issue with the review itself or the score. Just the spoilers. Caught me completely off guard

I agree Empire have really let themselves down here. I'm not sure that the spoilers have been removed the 2nd to last para is the worst and its still there. I think an apology from Mr Nathan would be appropriate!

(in reply to Jaybee79)
Post #: 29
RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN - 30/5/2012 10:00:30 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Total Film gave it a far more favourable review - 4 Stars, i'm packing my stuff and moving over there!

They won't love you the way we do.

Ah! Thats sweet! I'll reconsider!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Prometheus Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI