Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RIP Kaneto Shindo (1912 2012)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RIP Kaneto Shindo (1912 2012) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RIP Kaneto Shindo (1912 2012) - 30/5/2012 5:51:42 PM   
Ultimo Lee

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/05/rip-kaneto-shindo.php

quote:

Sad albeit not shocking news: a month after he turned exactly 100 years old, Japanese director Kaneto Shindo has died.
Shindo has been responsible for many a terrific film, not just as director but also as writer. But he is probably most famous for two horror titles released in the sixties which were both masterpieces, so I'm singling both out here.

If you want to see a beautiful film which has aged gracefully, go see "Kuroneko".

But if you want to see an excellent film which has not aged AT ALL, go see "Onibaba"!
Creepy and stunning, the down-to-earth cinematography, depictions of flawed humanity and explicit nudity seem totally at odds with its release date. In my opinion it is one of the absolute best films ever made. But don't just take my word for it: go see for yourself. Both Eureka and Criterion have stellar editions out.

Thank you Kaneto Shindo, and pleasant dreams wherever you are. You will be missed.

< Message edited by Ultimo Lee -- 30/5/2012 5:52:35 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: RIP Kaneto Shindo (1912 2012) - 31/5/2012 11:00:13 AM   
hozay

Kaneto Shindo a wonderful writer and director. He wrote many more stories than he directed and of a high quality. A great contributor to film making. RIP.
As well as Onibaba and Kuroneko his The Naked Island is well worth a watch ( there's no dialogue but don't let that stop you) as is the original Hachiko Monogatari, remade in the US as Hachiko; A Dog's Story with Richard Gere. There's so many of his films I'm yet to see, I really need to make the effort.

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RIP Kaneto Shindo (1912 2012) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI