Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Snow White And The Huntsman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Snow White And The Huntsman Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Snow White And The Huntsman - 19/7/2012 7:35:43 AM   
Phubbs

Snow White and the Huntsman

Going off on a different route with this classic tale, the Brothers Grimm might be spinning in their graves. I use the term 'might be' as perhaps they would of liked this epic offering, myself I can't quite decide.

The plot is completely upside down and inside out, this isn't your Disney story nor is it even close to the Grimm tale, apart from a few legendary sequences of course. Not that this is a big problem though as the story is constructed well and does flow nicely with all the elements required for Ms White's tale. Its just a rather big swerve from what you might expect.

The main issue with this film is obvious from about the point where we meet the evil Queen. This film is taken waaaay too seriously and is almost bordering on some kind of biopic historical epic. Theron seems to be going for Oscar gold here as she bellows and rants like crazy, most scenes are pretty overly intense, Snow White has her own little William Wallace moment towards the end as if we were in a real moment of British ancient history and there's actually quite a bit of blood and violence here.

Ironic I know, most times I yearn for more darkness and death with a serious tone in films these days as they are mostly aimed at the younger audience. But this time its just too much, amazingly.

Kinda got that feeling when we see Snow White breaching the evil Queens castle walls and hacking her way through lots of knights. Add in the odd slow motion moment and you start thinking we're getting a tad off track from what we have all come to know/think of Snow White.
Her childhood friend 'William' also adds to this notion when he shows us he's pretty much an invincible one man army and would put Hawkeye to shame in the bow n arrow ranks.

The film looks fantastic I must say, the visuals, locations and effects to conjure up this bleak murky fairy inhabited fantasy world are gorgeous. This is right up there with 'Legend' and is one of the best looking fantasy films I've seen for some time. Clear influences from various films jump out at you all over the show of course, the biggest being 'Lord of the Rings' with the sweeping mountain vista's, knights in battle and large CGI trolls. Other films such as 'Willow' especially at the start of the film for instance, infact the film seems to start more family friendly like 'Willow' but slowly morphs into a much darker gloomy affair.

Another problem if you ask me was casting. Everyone was fine in their roles accept for...yep you guessed it, Stewart. Despite my feelings for her (yep I have a crush) she really can't act too well. She tries bless her but all she ever does is pout, sulk and never actually says much whilst looking awkward and embarrassed most of the time...just like young girls do at her age infact. Of course she also brings with her the unwanted baggage of the 'Twilight' franchise which many do not like, not a good start for this fantasy franchise. Its very clear she was cast purely down to her previous fantasy film experience with vamps n wolves.

As for the rest they are all fine. Excellent performance by Sam Spruell as 'Finn' but Vince Reagan is becoming somewhat type cast as bearded men in time. Hemsworth is hard to understand at times with his attempts at an old English Northern accent but he looks the part perfectly. As I said before Theron is just completely detached from the film with her humongous epic attempts at an Oscar or so it seems.
As for the controversy about actors playing the band of dwarfs, I see no problem with that a tall, infact they were one of the best things in the film. These guys should of been in 'LOTR' haha, really well designed and realised, would never have guessed they were top stars like Hoskins and Winstone.

Its good to see some creepy gothic darkness which is what the Grimm Brothers were all about (to a degree), but this film seems to lose that aspect and go down the sweeping historical epic route at full throttle. A great fantasy film that looks tremendous on one hand, but I think everyone got carried away and forgot it was suppose to be based around a children's fairytale.

'FREEDOM!!' oh wait..

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 19/7/2012 7:39:30 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
not bad at all - 2/10/2012 7:45:37 AM   
mclane1

much better than i expected, much darker. good fun, plenty of action

Post #: 32
not bad at all - 2/10/2012 7:45:38 AM   
mclane1

much better than i expected, much darker. good fun, plenty of action

Post #: 33
RE: Snow White And The Huntsman - 4/11/2012 10:32:03 PM   
Ref

Well where do I start? The visuals of this film are amazing, as stated the scene in the forest where Stewart has a bad trip is spookily great. Theron is superb as the Evil Queen and the ageing effects are top-notch (although nothing tops Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).

And that is where the positives end I'm afraid. Stewart is just so awful, why are people still casting her? The love-triangle (yawns) was pathetic and due to her acting I could not tell what Snow White was feeling. The writing was atrocious, so many plot holes. Secondary characters were all woefully underwritten.

The annoying thing is about this film, is that it looked promising from the trailers. Alas it's just a bloated, lack-lustre film.

1.5/5

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 34
Snow White and the Huntsman - 23/12/2012 2:08:14 AM   
norgizfox

While the clunky fantasy world won't win anybody over the animated classic, there's no denying that this dark, epic tale is immersive and ambitious with it's gorgeous settings, skilled visual effects, and audacious acting. An excellent adult fairytale.

Post #: 35
Proper shit - 8/2/2013 2:29:58 PM   
RLTShirley

Definately the worst film I saw last year. All of the characters are so boring and unlikeable that it's impossible to care about anything that happens. The hero has the most cliched backstory ever written and looks like hes playing the whole thing for laughs. The badguy chick seems to think that shouting every line is what equates for being a villain and snow white just looks bored and emotionless all the time and delivers every line as though she's taking a massive shit. She also looks ridiculously weak and pathetic when she puts the armor on at the end which basically negates the whole third act.
Most of the plot is just a series of set pieces and costume changes which the film makers seem to think is the same thing character development.
Other than some pretty decent CGI monsters and the obligitory epic battle nothing original is offered in relation to the Disney original.
The most promising aspect was the modern re-imagining of the dwarves but there inclusion was far to brief and quite simply over shadowed by the far more interesting dwarven troup featured in 'The Hobbit'.
I Litterally did not enjoy a single scene and really wanted all the characters to die and then for all the actors playing them to die.
It's not even as good as tim burtons Alice in wonderland and I thought that was shit.
I give it 1 star because at least the director was knobbing that twilight chick for a bit.

Post #: 36
- 2/3/2013 11:49:49 PM   
chrisharvey1551

Not a big snow white fan but went to see this anyway and came away surprisingly happy. It wasn't soppy and all happy ever after and had a good cast, I even liked Kirsten Stewart although agree it wasn't a difficult lead role. The story was never going to be the greatest of all time but stands up well. Worth a watch

Post #: 37
Queen Ravenna and the Special Effects - 6/11/2014 3:16:20 PM   
RJNeb2

The classic fairy tale reimagined as a grungy Lord of the Rings Lite adventure has some good points. It looks amazing, the CGI work is remarkably seamless, Colleen Atwood’s costumes are truly something to behold and Theron is fantastic as the evil queen. But there are big failings too, such as the dwarfs and Claflin’s Prince William who are all largely superfluous. While Stewart is just wrong as Snow White, her indie sensibilities and apparent boredom with the role creating a black hole at the centre of it all.

Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Snow White And The Huntsman Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI