Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Prometheus review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Prometheus review Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 1:58:50 PM   
The REAL Bozz

You guys have to wait like the rest of us??

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***
Post #: 1
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 2:25:26 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

You guys have to wait like the rest of us??

''one of the greatest science fiction films since Blade Runner. PROMETHEUS is a collossus achievement...'' ***** 5/5 (hopefully i''ve taken the correct glimpse into the future!)

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 29/5/2012 2:36:28 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 2
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 2:43:32 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Nah, I reckon a 4 star just in case there's any hardcore fan back lash. Play it safe.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 3
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 2:49:55 PM   
MonsterCat

It really doesn't matter what Empire give it. There will still be an uproar.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 4
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 2:51:37 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I don't care abou the rateing so much ( as in the stars) I'm just interested to see how they sum it. I reckon it's gonna be Thursday. Defo betting a 4****.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 5
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 3:27:08 PM   
Nexus Wookie

To be honest, it doesn't matter what EMPIRE rate it, its down to the viewers responses at the end of the day. Avengers Assemble got a 4 star, but a lot of the people who watched it, including forum members disagreed. I will be a tad disappointed though if it gets only 4 stars - they gave Attack of the Clones freakin 5 stars! I'm guessing Promoetheus will be worlds better than Clones at least!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 29/5/2012 3:28:01 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 3:34:17 PM   
shool

I am not looking forward to moderating the review thread. I need to make sure I watch this bad boy early to avoid massive spoilers too.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 7
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 3:48:51 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Can you not wait till after you see it? Surely there won't be that much chaos in the thread the first few days??? Or maybe one of the other mods is seeing it Friday morning at one of the 12.01am screenings? They could mod it for you.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 8
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 3:52:55 PM   
shool

Yes to all of those.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

Post #: 9
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 3:56:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

On the other hand I cannot wait for the review thread...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 10
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 3:58:04 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Me too. There's gonna be so much extreme views and argueing. Gonna be like a movie!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 11
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 3:58:18 PM   
shool

Thats my other dilemma. I dread them but also cant stay away. Its like looking at a car crash of stupid opinions.

< Message edited by shool -- 29/5/2012 4:00:04 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 12
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 4:07:23 PM   
The REAL Bozz

It's so entertaining though. Always best to give a big release a day or two to be out and then hit the review thread with a cup of tea and take it all in.

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 29/5/2012 4:08:16 PM >

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 13
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 4:14:50 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I'm going to watch it on Friday, at the 12:00pm viewing.

Post #: 14
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 4:40:46 PM   
rafa66

Lucky me, I'll get to see it tomorrow as it already opens on Wednesday in Luxembourg. So excited!

Post #: 15
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 4:40:46 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I'm giving serious thought to the midnight showing.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 16
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 4:49:27 PM   
Spaldron

The review thread could end up being better than the film.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 17
RE: Prometheus review - 29/5/2012 5:07:50 PM   
Jim Bob

2 stars...

"...the biggest cinematic disappointment since The Phantom Menace.."

< Message edited by Jim Bob -- 29/5/2012 5:08:06 PM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 18
RE: Prometheus review - 30/5/2012 9:40:39 AM   
Letattz

Mmmm...why is there no review yet?  No press screenings = nervousness about reception of film?  Chris Hewitt mentioned an 'embargo' on his twitter feed - what does that mean?  An embargo enforced by the studio?  Or agreed by Journalists?  

Charlie, give your mother a kiss, or I'll kick your teeth in.

(in reply to Jim Bob)
Post #: 19
RE: Prometheus review - 30/5/2012 10:03:58 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Letattz

Mmmm...why is there no review yet?  No press screenings = nervousness about reception of film?  Chris Hewitt mentioned an 'embargo' on his twitter feed - what does that mean?  An embargo enforced by the studio?  Or agreed by Journalists?  

Its usually a studio embargo. The interesting thing is, is that a bunch of outlets (Variety, THR) have gone live with their reviews already, so I reckon Empire's will be up by lunchtime. The major British press screening finishes around 12.30, and theres no embargo on that screening so opinion will be all over Twitter soon after.

I predict a 3-star review. Or maybe 2.

(in reply to Letattz)
Post #: 20
RE: Prometheus review - 30/5/2012 10:28:17 AM   
xzynomorpher

Sigh. A few days ago I was sure this was just to avoid spoilers, but with the first reviews coming in it is looking like the studio was afraid of us knowing that this may just not be the masterpiece that we were hoping for.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 21
RE: Prometheus review - 30/5/2012 10:41:21 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: xzynomorpher

Sigh. A few days ago I was sure this was just to avoid spoilers, but with the first reviews coming in it is looking like the studio was afraid of us knowing that this may just not be the masterpiece that we were hoping for.

According to Slash Film everything that could be spoiled has already been done so by the marketing campaign.

(in reply to xzynomorpher)
Post #: 22
RE: Prometheus review - 30/5/2012 12:27:59 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: xzynomorpher

According to Slash Film everything that could be spoiled has already been done so by the marketing campaign.

I would have thought so.
The early trailers were utterly brilliant, the last one is about half an hour long, and seems to show everything.
Not bothered, I've booked my tickets for Saturday night and I shall enjoy it either way.

BUT IF EMPIRE DON'T GIVE IT AT LEAST 4 STARS I SHALL EAT MY FUCKING COMPUTER.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 23
RE: Prometheus review - 30/5/2012 12:34:34 PM   
xzynomorpher

On the plus side, if it really is a disappointment, we will at least be able to use "We were wrong. We were so wrong" as the headings to the reviews!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 24
RE: Prometheus review - 30/5/2012 12:48:08 PM   
great_badir

Most of the reviews I've read so far seem to be avoiding coming down on a definite thumbses up or down, so I'm guessing Empire will give it a 3 and be similarly undecided.

One thing that they all do say (and agree on) is that the 3D is stunning.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to xzynomorpher)
Post #: 25
RE: Prometheus review - 30/5/2012 1:27:30 PM   
mateyboy2

The reviews sound decidedly dodgy -

Love the line "we're were wrong..."

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 26
RE: Prometheus review - 30/5/2012 3:42:58 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Yeah, none of the reviews have been too specific. However, i've read a few positive ones, one critic callling it 'the type of sci-fi films Hollywood no longer makes'' and ''forget the reviews - go and watch this film as soon as possible!''

So I think it'll be down to the viewer(s) at the end of the day, and what they take from the film. All agree that it is a visually stunning film. Beautiful to look at.

I remember EMPIRE giving Avatar 5 stars, if they go anything lower than 4 stars for Prometheus, I would not be happy about!

But then again, one man's poor film, is another man's masterpiece in my view!

(in reply to mateyboy2)
Post #: 27
RE: Prometheus review - 1/6/2012 10:25:32 AM   
chris kilby

The reviews I've seen so far all suggest the critics wanted to love this one but have been mildly disappointed - I don't doubt for one second that similarly disappointed fanboys will react in the same dignified and restrained manner...

EMPIRE so desperately wanted to give Prometheus more than a perfectly acceptable three stars (while maybe thinking it deserved less?) it clearly hurt. That's always the trouble with unrealistically sky-high expectations - nothing can ever live up to them. Just look at The Phantom Menace! Though not, I hope, The Dark Knight Rises...

Which is why I always hope for the best but expect the worst and lower my expectations accordingly - a pessimist can never be disappointed you see, only pleasantly surprised. Besides, it's only a movie. No need to Hulk out about it no matter how disappointed you were. I simply don't understand why people get so wound up about these things. Or why people online are so angry all the time. It's very sad. And more than a bit worrying. Angry. Angry young men. No wonder there are riots.

I think another problem here is that a lot of people often review films on the basis of what they were expecting not what's actually on screen. Irate fanboys do this all the time. (Which is why it often sounds like they're rating/slating a different movie from everyone else cos they're comparing it to the fanfic version unspooling in their heads. Fanboys are nothing if not solipsistic!) But even professional critics aren't immune to this.

What's interesting about Prometheus has been Ridley Scott's curious reticence to confirm or deny that it actually is an Alien prequel. Not having seen it yet, it would appear that it is and it isn't. It is in that, well, it is - it is about the "Space Jockeys" after all. (Isn't it?) But it isn't in that, well, it's about the Space Jockeys. Like Ridley Scott said a prequel would be as far back as an interview he gave in Starburst in 1980! (The same way George Lucas said in a 1985 interview in the same magazine that any Star Wars prequels would be different from the original trilogy - "more of a mystery," he said - and therefore wouldn't be as popular with the fans. Maybe he's psychic...)

I suspect that, sly old dog that he is, Sir Ridley was wisely hedging his bets cos he knew this probably meant an Alien prequel without the requisite acid-dripping, chest-bursting action we've all come to expect. While obviously a gamble, this is part of the reason I've been looking forward to seeing Prometheus since I read that Starburst interview when I was a kid - precisely because it's trying to be something different and not some tired, clapped-out AVP mash-up aimed at morons with ADHD. For all their obvious flaws, I enjoyed the Star Wars prequels for the same reason. And, yes, I do realise that one way or another I may have to eat these words after I've actually seen Prometheus.

Another thing is people and perceptions change over time - normal people, I mean, not fanboys. Look how Blade Runner's reputation has improved over the last 30 years when ALL the critics hated it in '82 - I was there, in an empty cinema with my dad, and I loved it! (He didn't.) Also, I was bemused to see EMPIRE slag off Braveheart a while back when I seem to remember it was "Team EMPIRE's" film of the year in 1995 - whoops! So it doesn't really matter in the long run what anyone thinks of a film on its release. It's posterity which will ultimately decide if Prometheus is any good or not. Only the good stuff endures/gets the BD boxset treatment!

As for this curious obsession some uptight people have with reviews and star ratings (why? We all know what opinions are like!) EMPIRE should only ever give out 5 star reviews. Like Baz Bamigboye at the Daily Maul. (I dunno - maybe he just likes seeing his name on the poster...)

PS: That line about Jason Statham nearly made me bust a gut. Or burst a chest!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 1/6/2012 11:34:43 AM >

Post #: 28
RE: Prometheus review - 1/6/2012 10:58:55 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

EMPIRE should only ever give out 5 star reviews. Like Baz Bamigboye at the Daily Maul.

(I dunno - maybe he just likes seeing his name on the poster...)

Exactly! I Remember this twat who used to review films for The Sun, and everytime he'd give even a crap film 5 stars! Not to mention his godawful one liners! Just so he could get his name on the poster!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 1/6/2012 11:00:52 AM >

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 29
RE: Prometheus review - 9/7/2012 8:34:01 AM   
TragicRomantic

It's a 3 star film.Nothing more,nothing less.!

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Prometheus review Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI