Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

JANE EYRE-DIRECTOR FUKUNAGA -MIA WASIKOWSKA AS JANE ,FASSEBENDER AS FAIRFAX

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> JANE EYRE-DIRECTOR FUKUNAGA -MIA WASIKOWSKA AS JANE ,FASSEBENDER AS FAIRFAX Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
JANE EYRE-DIRECTOR FUKUNAGA -MIA WASIKOWSKA AS JANE ,FA... - 28/5/2012 11:11:30 PM   
walkwater

Fukunagu's movie of the Bronte classic opens in the Yorkshire moors in an enchanted setting with a distraught Jane Eyre ,played poignantly by Mia Wasikowkska ,wandering frantically in an eerie light in sublimely set landscapes ,and soon she finds refuge in a parish church .

What follows is a psychological and intelligent flashback into her traumatic vicissitudes of orphaned childhood by an immaculate child cast till Jane finds a job as governess in ''Fairfax hall ''.

Even there the director has scrutinized the English period details well with Jane instructing her French ward ,played by a girlchild in subtle humour ,and Judi Dench as the cynical housekeeper is very appropriate and brings relief to the script .

Finally mister FASSBENDER enters as a dashing 'ROCHESTER Fairfax' ,and the couple's intial encounter and the ensuing banter and verbal duels between him and jane are well shot ,but unfortunately the script starts to creak as soon as they fall in love ,as there is no semblance of that emotion between the two leads ,who portray their individual parts very well but have no charisma together which is rather profoundly tragic like the Bronte classic itself .

The first half is embellished with a nuanced detail with a haunting musical score and atmospheric lighting and sound affects where the Fairfax hall and Moors come to life ,but all the initial hard work is not concluded properly as latter the movie half meanders in the Moors with Mia and Jamie BELL ,who is good in a poorly developed role of the parish priest .

The movie starts on a very promising note and gets very intriguing and than fizzles off it's own fine surreal affects with narrative and direction flaws in second half ,the English aristocracy is seen as wicked snobs in one dimensional characters ,the drama of the house on fire is avoided altogether and the lunatic wife is introduced as a dark exotic beauty ,with mister Rochester at times behaving like a bully than a gentleman in public ,and even Dench looks rather out of breath and dull towards the end as it all comes to an abrupt finale .

The movie has lush visuals shot in both the idyllic english summer and latter the crystalline wintry icy shades of grey and white exteriors, and a very mysteriously creaking darkly serene interior design for the serene hall which conceals a bitter truth in the form of a mentally disabled woman , there is a fine piano endorsed musical score and exquistely realised performances from the two main leads, but it did not succeed in leaving any emotional impact on my meager psyche as it lacks the core love story between Jane and Rochester that is the'' fundamental hallmark'' of this classic english love tale set in the mystical Moors and without that surreal emotion the drama rings rather hollow and i felt sorry for that gravely- just as much as i admire Bronte sisters, but this is not the definitive Jane Eyre by any perspective . .
Post #: 1
RE: JANE EYRE-DIRECTOR FUKUNAGA -MIA WASIKOWSKA AS JANE... - 28/5/2012 11:16:19 PM   
elab49

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3184628&mpage=1&key=jane%2Ceyre&NID=137341#3196637

Please use search to find the existing review thread before posting and only start a new thread if one does not exist.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to walkwater)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> JANE EYRE-DIRECTOR FUKUNAGA -MIA WASIKOWSKA AS JANE ,FASSEBENDER AS FAIRFAX Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI