Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 2:56:09 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

I see! it feels like your basically upset that I don't like Bradford, so your attacking me and skewing my contribution. Sorry I don't care. I will however check out the Pictureville again, thank you. Sorry Im not one of your awesome 'good guys'

Believe me, there is no love lost between Bradford and myself (I once lost a contract at a national publication over the behaviour of Bradford council, and got out of the city as soon as the opportunity arose). I have a love/hate relationship with the place, as many do the town or city in which they grew up. Pictureville is amazing tho, and I'm pleased to hear that you're giving it another shot. You should check out This Is Cinerama, which is screened on the first Saturday of every month.

I don't see how I've skewed your contribution. I've categorically denounced every defence you've thrown up, but isn't that all in the spirit of debate? You are not the victim here, so stop acting like one and grow some balls.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 121
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 2:58:46 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I really hate this sense of entitlement that people who watched pirated or illegally downloaded copies have, that they have a right to watch/ own something without having to pay what it costs. I despise people like this. If you can't afford it, you don't get it!! Simple as that. By paying what it costs we are allowing the movies we like to continue to thrive. No one can call themself a true lover of film if they go down the illegal download route all the time.

This.

So you agree with DK even though it's been shown that you saw QoS through 'alternative means'. It must be hard despising yourself.

It's over, Cool Breeze is finished.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 122
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:12:10 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

I see! it feels like your basically upset that I don't like Bradford, so your attacking me and skewing my contribution. Sorry I don't care. I will however check out the Pictureville again, thank you. Sorry Im not one of your awesome 'good guys'

Believe me, there is no love lost between Bradford and myself (I once lost a contract at a national publication over the behaviour of Bradford council, and got out of the city as soon as the opportunity arose). I have a love/hate relationship with the place, as many do the town or city in which they grew up. Pictureville is amazing tho, and I'm pleased to hear that you're giving it another shot. You should check out This Is Cinerama, which is screened on the first Saturday of every month.

I don't see how I've skewed your contribution. I've categorically denounced every defence you've thrown up, but isn't that all in the spirit of debate? You are not the victim here, so stop acting like one and grow some balls.

Actually it feels like you have taken the high ground because I admitted having pirate content and maybe because I insulted your hometown, ignoring and not actual debating points made on why piracy occurs and what can be done about it. You have assumed much, berated me for not knowing every cinema choice open to me! and been pretty condescending. Thats fine, I am cynical and sarcastic to the point of not funny and annoying even myself, we are all different. I am not a victim, I would have to care more about the the debate to feel victimized. I genuinely will try Pictureville again on the basis that you have reminded me it exists, so genuine thanks, but we clearly wont be sharing popcorn there any time soon.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 16/1/2013 3:14:53 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 123
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:13:01 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really hate this sense of entitlement that people who watched pirated or illegally downloaded copies have, that they have a right to watch/ own something without having to pay what it costs. I despise people like this. If you can't afford it, you don't get it!! Simple as that. By paying what it costs we are allowing the movies we like to continue to thrive. No one can call themself a true lover of film if they go down the illegal download route all the time.

This.

So you agree with DK even though it's been shown that you saw QoS through 'alternative means'. It must be hard despising yourself.

It's over, Cool Breeze is finished.

He will RISE!!!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 124
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:15:59 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Actually it feels like you have taken the high ground because I admitted having pirate content

LOL.

quote:

You have assumed much, berated me for not knowing every cinema choice open to me! and been pretty condescending. I am not a victim

LOLcopter.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 125
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:18:28 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This.

How did you watch The Dark Knight Rises? come on!! how??

What does TDKR have to do with anything? I've never even hinted that I watched that film illegally or mentioned that I might have downloaded a dodgy copy.

But to answer your question I paid to see it at the cinema.

EDIT - I love the fact that you are still trying to crowbar Nolan and TDKR into every conversation you participate in on the forum.

< Message edited by garvielloken -- 16/1/2013 3:19:50 PM >

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 126
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:20:12 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

I watched that film illegally

Oh garvie, we're all so disappointed in you.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 127
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:20:25 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Actually it feels like you have taken the high ground because I admitted having pirate content

LOL.

quote:

You have assumed much, berated me for not knowing every cinema choice open to me! and been pretty condescending. I am not a victim

LOLcopter.

If I had a LOLcopter I could travel to all these nearby Cinemas you tell me about! I could see amazing things! at low prices

Post #: 128
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:21:20 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

And not wanting to pay cinema prices is fine. So why not wait until a film hits home video/gets discounted after a few months?

This is what I am curious about - the need to see things now. I can't afford an Nexus 7 this month. I want one, but it is too pricey. Should I just go in a take one? No, because that wouldn't be right. But for some reason when it comes to entertainment it is alright.

Django is not going to be on twenty screens in the country. It is a big release. And it is only a three week gap between UK/US.

Not having a go at anyone - I genuinely am curious to know why you would take it from the internet.

Its not always just about not wanting to pay cinema prices, some people genuinely cant afford it or rather justify it. For me its the later, like I said! pay around 50 for a cinema trip! or use that money on something else 'sensible' and wait for dvd release. Ive gone to the cinema without my kids and feel guilty as hell!. My sister has 5 kids she simply cant afford the cinema full stop. My point is , lower the cinema prices, it will help and more people will go to the cinema! simple.
One other underrated aspect regarding cinema going and cost is the price of snacks!! they are simply outrageous! beyond greed!. I don't mind paying my way , but 7 for a box of POPPED CORN!!!! 4.50 for a Coke!!. Its literally gone beyond a joke.

Regarding downloading of movies!! its getting better for the people who download rather than buy I guess! and almost impossible to police.
Netflix/lovefilm/Blink etc must surely be countering this trend!. The monthly price is really good, I have Lovefilm and Netflix streaming at the moment, but I cant get the latest releases streaming. If just one of these companies could just put new releases up, that would all but kill piracy?? or at least give it a good kick in the balls!!. I would happily pay double my Netflix subscription if I could watch constant new releases even if I had to wait a month or two longer for them to be available!>

I dont get the whole thing about buying snacks.If you think its too expensive then dont buy it.Instead why dont you eat before you go the cinema.I always eat before i go out and never buy food when i go the pictures.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 129
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:21:57 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This.

What does TDKR have to do with anything? I've never even hinted that I watched that film illegally or mentioned that I might have downloaded a dodgy copy.

But to answer your question I paid to see it at the cinema.

EDIT - I love the fact that you are still trying to crowbar Nolan and TDKR into every conversation you participate in on the forum.

Sorry! I was aiming that at Coolbreeze not you!

Post #: 130
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:24:58 PM   
garvielloken

What's also funny is Cool Breeze's suave attempts at avoiding the questions being put to him while he takes the moral high ground. Roger Moore would be proud.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 131
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:32:15 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

If I had a LOLcopter I could travel to all these nearby Cinemas you tell me about! I could see amazing things! at low prices

Wow, a helicopter joke on a day like today. Classy. Typical inconsiderate attitude of the disciples of Cameron's Britain.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 132
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:38:57 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

I watched that film illegally

Oh garvie, we're all so disappointed in you.

Dad?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 133
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:51:53 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

What's also funny is Cool Breeze's suave attempts at avoiding the questions being put to him while he takes the moral high ground. Roger Moore would be proud.

No its just that i stay on topic, dont insult other forum members even if they act like trolls, and i pay for all my movies.Some films i have seen at other friends houses or have been lent them.

Bottom line: illegal downloading is wrong, and hurts the film industry.It also hurts retail outlets which is especially notable this week with the closure of HMV resulting in a lot of job losses.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 134
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:54:41 PM   
Kumadori

quote:

quote:

No its just that i stay on topic, dont insult other forum members even if they act like trolls, and i pay for all my movies.Some films i have seen at other friends houses or have been lent them.

Bottom line: illegal downloading is wrong, and hurts the film industry.It also hurts retail outlets which is especially notable this week with the closure of HMV resulting in a lot of job losses.

Completely agree, and you can seemingly add Blockbuster to that list too.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 135
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:56:51 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

In this case, I'm not sure why it's not on-topic to refute statements with evidence. 

quote:

I saw it through..um..alternative means.

So did you illegally DL QoS? If so, why the moral high ground now? Is a get out for it, for you, that it's OK to DL if you don't intend to pay?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 136
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 3:57:34 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

quote:

Who's a troll? Me? Dude I'm honored that you would even think about bestowing me with such a lofty title. My life is now complete.

Post #: 137
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 4:04:22 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I see my download for Looper has just finished.
Whack it onto my USB stick,plug-it into my TV and hey presto,sorted.
...........oh...........

Post #: 138
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 4:07:50 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Wow, a helicopter joke on a day like today. Classy. Typical inconsiderate attitude of the disciples of Cameron's Britain.

EH!

Post #: 139
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 4:09:28 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

All those job losses are your fault!!

Seriously now. Could it be said that the first victims of piracy are actually the retailers and rental outlets (middlemen)! the Film Industry itself has plentiful means to distribute its contents these days??

AND!! they are busy making all manner of dogshit remakes ! how badly are things going?

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 16/1/2013 4:12:57 PM >

Post #: 140
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 4:11:07 PM   
musht

Piracy is the same as stealing a DVD from a shop; which (I'm assuming) nobody on here would do. How are there five pages of so called debate on this topic?

< Message edited by musht -- 16/1/2013 4:43:31 PM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 141
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 4:27:24 PM   
paulyboy

Just have to wheel this out, always makes me chuckle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 142
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 4:56:28 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

But you said "LOLcopter" first.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 143
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 5:02:21 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

I didnt know about the crash at the time either! who Classy now eh! eh?

I also didn't know about the death of BLOCKBUSTER!! wowzer!. Now! will the death of Blockbuster increase piracy or increase sign ups to Lovefilm /netflx etc ...and the possibility we will essentially get what I spoke about earlier!! all new releases streamed to my home!. If its the later then I gladly sacrifice Blockbusters on the high street! goodbye!.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 16/1/2013 5:03:09 PM >

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 144
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 5:02:26 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Piracy is the same as stealing a DVD from a shop; which (I'm assuming) nobody on here would do. How are there five pages of so called debate on this topic?

Really because it's not whether it's right or wrong but is it actually financially impacting on the industry. E.g. if I didn't lose my old bookmarks, one of them was an old story suggesting that the music industry scare stories about DL were actually rubbish and misrepresented facts, figures and who were DL music illegally (someone else might remember it - part of the analysis was done on US college campuses).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 145
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 5:04:10 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

No, actually confronting you on your apparent hipocrisy involving illegal downloads is incredibly ON topic considering that the thread is about, ya know...illegal downloads and such. So you gonna man up and tell the truth?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 146
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 5:05:11 PM   
directorscut

Ironically enough legitimate streaming services have done more damage to the home video industry than piracy ever could.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 147
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 5:06:31 PM   
elab49

I've wondered what those models would do - are there any actual figures backing that up? 

quote:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 148
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 5:12:13 PM   
directorscut

Two years old but the decline has only steepened: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20025445-17.html

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 149
RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? - 16/1/2013 5:25:30 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

You're missing the bigger picture mate. I despair.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI